• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Bread

Banned
3 years ago the Celtics won 25 games. Now you are obligated to refer to them as the East-leading Boston Celtics.

Pretty damn impressive.

I don't necessarily expect to hold the Cavs off, but it should make next Wednesday a really interesting game. I don't think the Celts will lose until then.
Probably one of the fastest complete rebuilds you'll ever see

I haven't been watching the Cavs lately. Are they ok? I'm sure they will be a different team in the playoffs, but they're about to become a second seed after this lose. It's unusual for a LeBron team close to the playoffs.

OldMan

Banned
I haven't been watching the Cavs lately. Are they ok? I'm sure they will be a different team in the playoffs, but they're about to become a second seed after this lose. It's unusual for a LeBron team close to the playoffs.
JR just came back, fighting injuries and you're working new guys into the rotation, I tip my hat off to Lue getting this far. Cav will be alright and once KING James goes into a media blackout it's on.

Sandfox

Just got home and holy shit the Cavs game. How bad is it? Is it "Lebron is absolutely going to threaten to leave again" bad?

I guess I was a bit harsh on him, but I haven't watched him many times and the times I did watch he looked very bad. It's possible he's inconsistent being so young and I just watched some bad nights, but he looked ungodly awful especially on defense. It's possible he improves though.
He's a good man defender and has been showing improvement there, but he still has bad stretches. Defense as a team is more important though and our team has issues there that go beyond the players.

He's a good man defender and has been showing improvement there, but he still has bad stretches. Defense as a team is more important though and our team has issues there that go beyond the players.

Yeah it's tough to gauge defense on a team this young as well. I'm still not big on his skill set, but I admit I was probably harsh considering how young he is. The Lakers are in a slightly fucked up position because their young player have shown some potential, but not enough potential to be worth anything big in trades or to be considered a sure thing as a core to build their future around. They need to nail the next draft pick, which is also not a sure thing because of the new people they brought in the FO. A big stretch of shitness was bound to happen to the franchise, this is likely it.

That was the most complete performance ive seen the Spurs show since round 1. This team is so stupidly inconsistent especially against lesser teams. If we lost to top teams i could take it but when you lose to the knicks and then nearly lose AGAIN at HOME.....rage.

Show me this against the warriors and dont get blown out at home and i will be satisfied.

fuck the Spurs, would rather have any other team than them win it.
Why are they always relevant just fuck...

Best active coach, period.
Best active GM, period.
They get the most out of their players.
They draft players that fit their system, perfectly and they can swap players in and out, accordingly.

Spurs are basically the Patriots, minus the cheating.

fuck the Spurs, would rather have any other team than them win it.
Why are they always relevant just fuck...
KD and CP3 praying that your respective teams take out the Spurs if that matchup presents itself in playoffs.
giphy.gif

Gonna be waiting quite a while for the Spurs not to be relevant. :)

I blame Larry Bird.. can't believe the great Larry Legend allowed this Spurs resurgence to take place. That trade looks worse and worse and might tarnish his executive career.

I know the Cavs in general look like shit lately, but...

How bout dem' Spurs ;D

Kawhi is that dude. I mean can we officially say he's top 5 in league player? IMO he's top 3, over WB, Curry, and Harden (two sides of court in bball) MVP is another discussion. I can't believe it when people say he's only top 10.

To me it's LBJ, and then kind of a tie between KD/Kawhi.

Tommy DJ

The Spurs bench is seriously the reason why they're performing so well this season, despite their starters struggling offensively. Not much the Cavs can do when their bench gets outscored by like 20.

Servbot24

Banned
I know the Cavs in general look like shit lately, but...

How bout dem' Spurs ;D

Kawhi is that dude. I mean can we officially say he's top 5 in league player? IMO he's top 3, over WB, Curry, and Harden (two sides of court in bball) MVP is another discussion. I can't believe it when people say he's only top 10.

To me it's LBJ, and then kind of a tie between KD/Kawhi.
It's 1. LeBron 2. KD 3. Kawhi and they're all close enough that any of them could have the best game on a given night

The Spurs bench is seriously the reason why they're performing so well this season, despite their starters struggling offensively. Not much the Cavs can do when their bench gets outscored by like 20.

Kawhi 26, 6, 6, 3 in 29 minutes shooting efficiently and +/- of 30.

Kawhi plays with the bench really well. Great call by Pop. So much perimeter rotation passing, driving and kicking, and shooting capability with Manu, Patty, and Kawhi on floor. That's a great call by Pop.

Kyle Anderson also causing some havoc tonight. Gosh if he could become a solid NBA rotation player...

It's 1. LeBron 2. KD 3. Kawhi and they're all close enough that any of them could have the best game on a given night

Very agreeable with this take :D

Starters can never seem to get into a rhythm to begin games, which is why their scores remain consistently low. Not sure what to attribute that too.

Starters can never seem to get into a rhythm to start games, which is why their scores are always so low. Not sure what to attribute that too.

Seems so dependent on LMA just hitting his wide open mid range jumpers, doesn't it? Spurs starters are very pick and pop (Tony and LMA) and ISO (Kawhi and LMA) heavy. LMA has so many off games that it makes Spurs bench have to make up for lack of production during much of that 1st quarter. Pop is determined to get him into a groove for playoffs as he should be. They won't get very far without him being productive because they simply don't have enough talented playmakers. He has to make shots.

However, LMA has had quite the defensive season and is kinda underrated there for the Spurs.

Like I just mentioned, I like the idea of Kawhi playing some heavy minutes with the good drive and kick/shoot 3's off picks/drives guys (Manu and Patty, Danny if he's actually on for once)...throw in some good rebounders/hustlers and it's a very deadly 2nd or 3rd unit.

Tommy DJ

To put how dire the Cavs bench were against the Spurs tonight into perspective, they were completely scoreless coming into the 2nd half.

Gigglepoo

George Hill is a top 15 PG (in a PG loaded league). You trade him for the 15th pick in any other year and you win that trade. Nobody saw Kawhi coming outside of maybe Pop.

There's a lot of revisionist history with that trade. Leonard went 15th. No reason to blast the Pacers, especially when they got a damn good PG in the deal.

Now trading Hill for Teague? That's another story.

There's a lot of revisionist history with that trade. Leonard went 15th. No reason to blast the Pacers, especially when they got a damn good PG in the deal.

Pop has even said in interviews he had no idea Kawhi would be like this. They just needed length, athleticism, and boards at SF spot. They ended up with a franchise player. Spurs luck.

And Parker was still great so George Hill MVP was expendable.

Right. He'd be incredible right now on Spurs instead of Parker, but you can't have it all. Just gotta hope Tony is relatively healthy, energetic, and hitting midrange come playoff time.

Patty does kill Spurs defensively, but people don't talk about it much. Even at his advanced age, Tony's still a better defender. So they're kinda screwed defensively with either guy. Just have to have the defense intelligently cover for the guy as best you can and hope for best.

Edit: Oh shit Kawhi vs. LBJ highlights just got uploaded on
D*wkins
!!
(Is it OK to post these kinds of YT names on the site?)

Who will they replace Patty or Parker with next?

Great question. One that should be answered by a person with a much better understanding of the FA/RFA market and salary cap than me.

Hard to imagine letting Patty go, but teams are going to want to pay the shit out of him.

Seems to me Holt will have to go above cap a decent amount to keep him. Am i wrong salary cap experts?

I get you guys are high on D'Angelo but I feel like Lakers nation are split on him especially if you don't see his ceiling being anywhere near elite guards in the West.

I mention that MCW fact because people turned on MCW fast, people hyped and dismissed him.
This could be the same for D'Angelo.
We will know what the Lakers think this draft.

Is he going to be able to be the primary star for a franchise? No, I really doubt it.

Is he going to be a worthy rotation/starting player? Yes

Does he have all-star potential? Possibly.

There are reports that the Kings want to bring in someone to be above Vlade and the guy they want is Hinkie.

Uh... this tweet by WOJ...

Adrian Wojnarowski said:
Kings: "The Kings are not hiring Sam Hinkie and have no plans to bring anyone in above Vlade." (They're searching for someone above Vlade).

I think it's supposed to be a burn about Vivek's ownership?

Why would the Celtics rest someone?

So that they play the Wizards and not the Raptors in the playoffs? Would depend on what the standings look like XD

Who will they replace Patty or Parker with next?

Dejounte Murray has played well.

The thing is, I think Mills goes for a starting spot, and if the Spurs won't give him that, he's not staying.

My kings with two huge wins in a row.

Those wins do nothing but lower lottery chances. Chemistry won't transfer over from one season to the next training camp/season, not with as new as this squad is with each other. They need to lose as much as possible right now. The strangest case in which these are bad wins.

I understand that the idea is to learn how to win...but honestly...learn how to win next season after you get a really high draft pick.

Happy for you that your team is competing, though. They're showing lots of heart/guts. Just not sure it's the best move...but maybe the experience outweighs the importance of the odds of getting someone amazing in draft. We can only know later on.

Those wins do nothing but lower lottery chances. Chemistry won't transfer over from one season to the next training camp/season, not with as new as this squad is with each other. They need to lose as much as possible right now. The strangest case in which these are bad wins.

I understand that the idea is to learn how to win...but honestly...learn how to win next season after you get a really high draft pick.

Happy for you that your team is competing, though. They're showing lots of heart/guts. Just not sure it's the best move...but maybe the experience outweighs the importance of the odds of getting someone amazing in draft. We can only know later on.

the more they win the faster Buddy evolves to Curry form.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I enjoy winning and all...but we better not fuck our draft chances up lol. If we are above 10th slot then we lose our pick....

Kings are in a weird ass position between the Sixers-Kings pick swap and wanting the Pelicans to both lose but not lose too much. I doubt they end up with more wins than the Timberwolves, although I guess it is possible. The main opportunity they're losing is trying to get past the Knicks/Magic/Sixers, and all 3 of those teams are also in similar positions of hardcore tanking and but having talent to get random wins.

Plus, I mean, they got both of these past two games on ridiculous clutch points, so if things go a tiny bit south, they end up with two hard-fought losses, which is the perfect loss for a tank.

Hield will probably naturally develop well at this point, but all of Papagiannis, Skal, and to an extent WCS would benefit from developing on a mixed sort of team.

And here's the thing - players play to win. Even on tanking teams. Never forget that when you're wondering why a team that should be tanking is winning.

Plus, apparently Joeger was playing rotations like he wanted to win against his old team.

And here's the thing - players play to win. Even on tanking teams. Never forget that when you're wondering why a team that should be tanking is winning.

Right. It's the ultimate unnatural act to not want to win when you've been the best at what you do your entire life and done nothing but win. This is especially true for young players in the league.

Hield actually looks surprisingly good to me now that he has more chances on offensive end.

Edit: Really cool to have new place to talk bball besides the troll infested Spurstalk.

Sandfox

Is he going to be able to be the primary star for a franchise? No, I really doubt it.

Is he going to be a worthy rotation/starting player? Yes

Does he have all-star potential? Possibly.

Uh... this tweet by WOJ...

I think it's supposed to be a burn about Vivek's ownership?

So that they play the Wizards and not the Raptors in the playoffs? Would depend on what the standings look like XD

Dejounte Murray has played well.

The thing is, I think Mills goes for a starting spot, and if the Spurs won't give him that, he's not staying.

Woj is saying that the Kings are denying it, but it's true. We already have reports that the Kings have gotten permission from the Sixers to talk to Hinkie.

Jarate

Banned
Jokes aside, the Kings would be a bad fit for Hinkie. Hinkie needs full ownership support to do what he wants to do. I doubt Vivek would give that

Jokes aside, the Kings would be a bad fit for Hinkie. Hinkie needs full ownership support to do what he wants to do. I doubt Vivek would give that

Vivek wants yes-men. Hinkie would last about a season before Vivek fires him for refusing to draft some shitty guard in the lottery.

Top Bottom