• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2k18 becomes more broken as more patches get introduced

Okay, I have a real problem. I have reached out to 2K Support, Ronnie 2K, LD2K and 2K but haven't received a response.

I have a pure athletic finisher (center) who has 99 contact dunk with the big man contact dunk package installed. After the latest update my player hardly dunks and when he does it's rim grazer type dunks. I have all the park dunk packages installed so I don't know what's going on so I go to check what I have equipped and find I can't assign my contact dunk in slot 1 through 3 and can only assign it in slot 4. Prior to the update I had my big man contact dunks assigned in all 4 slots. I don't know what happened but my player went from being Shaq to playing like Pau Gasol.... WTF, anyone else have this problem?

Buggy and ill-functioning games is the standard with the major annual sports titles in general these days.

Madden always has a ton of stuff broken across gameplay and franchise mode at launch and then gets fixed with two or three big title updates by mid November. Just last week they released a title update and it broke so much new stuff they had to release a second two days later and roll back a number of fixes.

FIFA released a big title update shortly after launch this year that basically undid all of the gameplay improvements they made and seemed to introduce a plethora of legacy ai issues back in.

NHL (though it is tiny compared to the others in this list) has a number of new and reversion bugs every year.

The Show always has massive server issues, and online play issues at launch (which sometimes never get fixed), and the past two years has had many big gameplay bugs, and this year hitting has been a mess, and the timing is absolutely broken.

I think it's just the reality of these long running series with really legacy code bases, and having to add features on an annual dev cycle.

Add to that the popularity of loot crate modes, and the primary development priority is focused on making sure Ultimate Team is keeping its players happy, and the rest of the game suffers.

I wish someone in the gaming media would bring some attention to bugginess and declining quality of sports games.

Brinbe

Gameplay is amazing though. Probably the best playing sports game ever, to be honest. So
wtzgU.gif

And to be clear, it sucks that people have had a myriad of issues. Visual Concepts have always had a problem with bugs in all their games and the insidious microtransaction bullshit is extremely aggravating. Take Two learned from GTA online. They're rolling in it now.

I'd say to stick to myleague or playnow online and avoid the Myplayer/Myteam VC moneypits.

hbkdx12

None of this is even remotely surprising. 2K always goes through like 15 or so patches in the first handful of months that the games been out.

The problem is that they get the bare minimum right that there people are willing to put up with all the constant bullshit year after year.

Which makes the sad reality that Live still has a way to go to really be a competitor to 2k even more baffling because by no means are 2k nailing it on all fronts in a way that makes it difficult for Live to catch up.

I just play straight up myLeague/myGM and do season after season and never liked myPlayer mode so I'm actually enjoying 2k18. It's the first 2K I've bought since 14 and I've found it to be pretty polished.

I've never bothered with online play or customising - I guess from a casual player like me there's not a lot to complain about.
Same here! I only play MyGM/ local Playnow (with friends/AI) and I think this is the best basketball video game to date. I'm on HOF difficulty and everything is just natural to me. I just hate the fact that AI on HOF shots are a bit hard to defend and almost 90-100% will go in.

It really sucks for the people who mainly play the modes which require VC. But I recommend this 100% for the people who'll just play offline stuff. The controls are very complicated if you're a casual player but really satisfying once you know how to play the game.

Ensoul

I'm having a major issue as well. I have an 87 overall 6'11 rebounder and for whatever reason all of a sudden when I hit triangle he barely jumps off ground. Though it was my controller was broken but it seems the game is.

RS4-

So if my son (who is locked out of the 2K servers because he isn't 13) plays on his main account then his career mode won't even have the new stuff for this year's game?

I was going to get the game for him as a reward for some school activities, but paying ~$90 to only get a shell of the game is really stretching it.

Offline career mode is embarrassing. Like, don't even bother playing it offline. He's going to have zero enjoyment out of it.

And he'll have zero enjoyment with the glitches, etc etc.

ElNino

Offline career mode is embarrassing. Like, don't even bother playing it offline. He's going to have zero enjoyment out of it.

And he'll have zero enjoyment with the glitches, etc etc.
Ugh.. that sucks. He'll need to either play with my account or his alternate (fake birthday) account. I guess it's not too bad as the alternate account can still use my Gold sub, but it's still annoying and the only game that forces him to use it.

NBA 2K18 disgusted the hell out of me. Most negative/disappointing gaming related experience I've had in years. I'd been a loyal fan since the DC days.

I'm another person who made the jump to Live this year. It's extremely fun, addicting and I've really been enjoying The One (Live's version of MyCareer). No dumbass unskippable cutscenes, poor attempts at humor, "you got all this because of MEEEE!" dialog. Just basketball. That's what I signed up for. Hoping they (EA Sports) brings the heat next year. Still has a lot of room to grow.

Top Bottom