• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Breaking News: Lakers fire front office, Magic Johnson to take over

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want an all-sociopath team, Kobe's your guy. If you aren't willing to play with two broken legs and eight broken fingers, you're not worthy of starting.

Imagine Scouting reports from kobe ... "this guy is a lil bitch. C-" . "He passes too much. B+.". " I can take his weak ass 1 on 1. He ain't a 1st rounder. China bound+" "He asked for a wheelchair after tearing his achilles, F"

Honestly I was shocked she did it in the middle of the season. Like lakers ain't that bad to warrant this kind of move. Especially to Mitch.

norm9

yes, he did.
did you read Last Season? he didn't mesh with the triangle and wanted the ball more. he wanted to go after people cause he couldn't play defense anymore like in seattle.

but after that season which kupchak was under should've learned not to go for aging vets.

Eh, Malone, Payton, and Fox were all down with one more go the following year. They would have made it to the finals again imo, but Shaq leaving town put an end to that.

watershed

Banned
The shake up is good, we'll see about Magic and the new GM will be important to making it all work. Mitch and Jim needed to go. Jim more or less promised to fire himself before already before balking.

To those thinking the Lakers will nose dive now, I remind you they are the worst team in the NBA. How much worse can it get. Where are we going to nose dive to? You can only go so fkn far down. This is the best news in 4 years.

gcubed

What did the sixers do to deserve such good fortune at the trade deadline?

Back to back great news stories for them

Next thing you know they will actually get something of value for Okafor

Setzer

Awesome news. Jim Buss needed to go a long time ago. Was sad to see Kupchak get axed as well but the Lakers needed change at the top.

Eh, Malone, Payton, and Fox were all down with one more go the following year. They would have made it to the finals again imo, but Shaq leaving town put an end to that.
yeah, agree for the most part but Chancey went crazy so i think Kupchak would've at least unloaded GP. i do remember Fox, DFish were pleading with Phil saying start us over the hall of fame guys(GP) and use the previous years championship lineup when they were down 0-3. but Phil decided not to go for it.

Hydrus

I feel bad for Mitch. People always gave him shit, but he was a good GM. Got Gasol and two championships. Always seemed to find some solid players like Ariza and Marc Gasol. Nearly got Chris Paul. The guy did a lot. Jim was the problem. Glad to see the dude go. Dont care if he inherited the team. Has no business making BB decisions when he doesn't even like the sport.

ShowDog

To those thinking the Lakers will nose dive now, I remind you they are the worst team in the NBA. How much worse can it get. Where are we going to nose dive to? You can only go so fkn far down. This is the best news in 4 years.

The Lakers were supposed to go through 4 years of darkness to emerge into the light. Magic Johnson in the front office is just an indicator we are entering a new, uncharted phase of darkness. Things may not get worse but won't get better for a long time because the worst new blood just showed up. Only Jerry West can save us now.

kIdMuScLe

Someone I know told me that Magic is looking to get rid of Walton and bring in someone like Kidd or one of those old school coach whatever that means...

I wouldn't be surprised if magic does that considering that he is willing to bring Kobe in...

The front office likes Luke. They are bringing in Luke to help with the GM search. The press release specifically mentions Luke multiple times, that's no accident. There is zero evidence that Magic wants to bring in Kobe as coach/GM, he wants to bring Kobe in to work with young players.

watershed

Banned
Someone I know told me that Magic is looking to get rid of Walton and bring in someone like Kidd or one of those old school coach whatever that means...
Lol, not gonna happen. Luke is a part of the Lakers' future for the next 2 seasons at least. The team is not flat out terrible, his coaching has been solid.

Bread

Banned
I heard Magic is not a fan of the young talent on the team and is trying to ship them out for established vets. If they could trade Randle, Russell, and Clarkson for a Derrick Rose I think they'd be in great shape.

http://sportspickle.com/nba/10-dumb...w-lakers-president-basketball-operations.html

So good

WXkOtmj.png

shit what have they done

The only way San Antonio or Miami don't win the championship is if neither team makes the finals.

Reminds me of this interview question

random timing, right before the trade deadline too

President/GM is a tough job to step into without any experience. Not that Magic can't eventually do it, the guy did make a ridiculous amount of money being an entrepreneur after bball, but i think it will take time.

jacobs34

I really hope the Lakers don't get so lost in looking for a new GM that they let the trade deadline go by without dealing Lou Williams. There's no reason to keep him on the roster. Right now they need to be in complete rebuild mode. The worst thing that could happen to them would be to lose their pick to the 76ers.

Edit: By the way, Haralabob is going in on Twitter for anyone interested.

BobLoblaw

Banned
No bueno for anyone. They should've kept Kupchak and made Buss gtfo. I seriously doubt, Magic will be much better. The Lakers need everything and he has no experience building a team from scratch.

Lolakers

Damn, they fired Mitch, I loved everyone going "do it Mitch" for potential trades and signings .

Magic: looks like I pulled a homer
If the lakers win a title soon cause that team is a struggle

watershed

Banned
No bueno for anyone. They should've kept Kupchak and made Buss gtfo. I seriously doubt, Magic will be much better. The Lakers need everything and he has no experience building a team from scratch.
Mitch had to go. He has been a key figure in the Lakers' downfall. He had great times as well, but his moves in recent years have not helped.

Lkr

He's not. He retired after last season.

i meant that in the past tense. didn't he go out with kobe?
i remember that phoenix's medical staff were pulling off jesus like miracles first with Nash and then old Shaq but poor old Vitti could never figure out Shaq's foot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom