• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lakers strip Magic Johnson of honorary Vice President title, likely due to his tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lakers-remove-honorary-vice-president-title-from-magic-johnson/

Johnson for years has taken to Twitter to share his opinions, quite often with exclamation marks, about the league and the Lakers. He buried Mike D'Antoni, which got really awkward when "Lakers family" member Byron Scott was somehow worse at coaching defense than D'Antoni (and yet Johnson said nothing about it) and would openly criticize team owner and President of Basketball Operations Jim Buss (with whom he has a frosty relationship after being very close with his father).

Perhaps the most Magic tweet of all involved Johnson openly telling the Lakers to pursue Kevin Durant, and for good measure, LeBron James:

Laker Nation: The first free agent the Lakers should go after is Kevin Durant.
— Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) May 2, 2016

Laker Nation: The Lakers should call LeBron James agent. We know he's going stay in CLE but they should go after him just in case he leaves.
— Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) May 2, 2016

Here's the tricky part: Johnson was still an official member of the Lakers, listed as an honorary Vice President. He was even included in the team directory. That is, until Saturday night, when the Lakers released the following statement:

EL SEGUNDO -The Los Angeles Lakers have announced today that Hall of Famer Earvin "Magic" Johnson has asked the team to eliminate his honorary title of Vice President, and to remove his name from the team staff directory in publications and other sources.

The change is being made in hopes of clarifying any confusion over Johnson's involvement with or representation of the team.

"Earvin will always be a revered and beloved member of the Lakers family, but he does not have a position or role with the organization at this time," said team spokesman John Black. "He is not an advisor or a consultant, and his opinions, comments and social media posts are solely his, and do not represent or reflect those of Lakers ownership or management. Hopefully this will eliminate any confusion over this issue in the future."

So basically, the Lakers took away Johnson's honorary title because he wouldn't stop tweeting things that seemed like tampering with free agents. The move does show a formal separation between Johnson and the team. Johnson was incredibly close with late owner Jerry Buss, partying with him during his playing days in the 80's. But things have been frosty since Jim Buss took over, starting with the way he handled the removal of Phil Jackson in 2011.

SSPssp

Oh seeing the title I thought he had tweeted something horrible or something! Makes sense if he was causing confusion in deals.

XAL

tumblr_o14s0jyN3w1v5w8sco1_500.png

they actually stripped him of the title when they realized he might literally be the dumbest basketball commentator of all time

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Are the Lakers and Johnson getting fined for those tweets? If not then the Raptors and Drake better be pissed.

RootCause

Well, they could get in trouble for the things he tweeted, so makes sense. Now he can recruit openly. Rest of the league better watch out. If those two get together... :O

I wonder, would Laker fans welcome Lebron? I know they would be happy with KD. :p

wait, doesn't Magic Johnson still have some ownership stake in the Lakers?

It would seem weird to me for him and the team to sever all ties.

Maybe they can work out a deal where LeBron and KD go to LA and they promise to give their first championship trophy to Cleveland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom