• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013-14 NBA Oct-Nov Season |OT| They can't hide the championship banners Forever

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Reilo's 30 for 30:

Boston Celtics said:
Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens arrived at the team's Shamrock Gala on Thursday night with his wife, Tracy, by his side and, spotting reporters, he shuffled over for media obligations. When he was told that maybe we'd rather talk to Tracy, he smiled and quipped, "You should, she knows the starting five."

Outside of the Stevens family, the lineup is anyone's guess.

Brooklyn Nets said:
Brooklyn Nets point guard Deron Williams doesn't like being called a coach killer.

Before being traded to the Nets, Williams butted heads with Jerry Sloan shortly before the longtime coach resigned.

Last season, Williams appeared to criticize Avery Johnson's isolation-heavy offensive system shortly before Johnson was fired. But Williams said Friday night that wasn't the case.

New York Knicks said:
With Wednesday's opener rapidly approaching, there are plenty of questions surrounding the Knicks.

That's only natural.

But one of the biggest unknowns right now is a troubling one: when will new Knick Andrea Bargnani start to look like the secondary scoring option the Knicks thought they traded for in July?

"It's not going to happen overnight," Carmelo Anthony said on Saturday.

Philadelphia 76ers said:
The Philadelphia 76ers have released Royce White three months after acquiring him from the Houston Rockets in a trade, according to several reports.

White, a first-round pick at 16th overall in 2012 who never played for the Rockets, averaged 5.0 points, 4.4 rebounds and 1.2 assists in five preseason games with one start for the 76ers.

#bewell

Toronto Raptors said:
Amir does Toronto zombie walk because he’s awesome

tumblr_mvct2fh7fg1qj47ybo1_1280.jpg

It's the best story on the Raptors I could find.

Chicago Bulls said:
DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Derrick Rose hasn't even taken the court in a regular-season game to make his comeback official and already there is talk is about this Chicago Bulls roster potentially having its last chance at glory.

At the end of the season, not only does Luol Deng's contract expire, but there is a chance that the Bulls go the amnesty route to escape the final year of Boozer's deal.

Cleveland Cavaliers said:
CLEVELAND -- Cavaliers rookie forward Anthony Bennett, the top pick in this year's NBA draft, has asthma and sleep apnea.

Cleveland coach Mike Brown revealed Bennett's conditions Thursday night before the Cavs hosted the Detroit Pistons in an exhibition game. Bennett's asthma was not widely known and obviously did not prevent the Cavs from taking the former UNLV star in June's draft.

Detroit Pistons said:
Detroit Pistons guard Brandon Jennings will miss at least the start of the regular season because of an impacted wisdom tooth and a hairline fracture at the base of it.

The team announced Tuesday that Jennings will be re-evaluated after a three-week immobilization period. Detroit opens the regular season on Oct. 30 against Washington.

Indiana Pacers said:
INDIANAPOLIS -- Danny Granger tried to brush aside any new concerns about his injured left calf Monday.

Indiana Pacers fans can only hope he's right.

Hours after the Pacers announced Granger would miss three weeks with a muscle strain, he walked out of practice with a smile and insisted this injury is nothing like the one that kept him out of action most of last season.

Milwaukee Bucks said:
Giannis Antetokounmpo gleefully teaches us all how to Dougie

http://instagram.com/p/f3ih3Lo11U

Atlanta Hawks said:
Add Al Horford to the list of players who will miss the rest of the preseason in an attempt to be ready for the start of the regular season. Horford (hamstring) didn't accompany the team to Dallas for the final exhibition game of the preseason, and with Gustavo Ayon already out this could mean extended minutes for 31-year-old rookie Pero Antic in Wednesday's night's game against the Mavericks.

Charlotte Bobcats said:
Charlotte forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist left the Bobcats' game against the Cleveland Cavaliers on Thursday night with a strained right hamstring.

Miami Cheat said:
MIAMI -- With the way the Miami Heat's assistant coaches, armed with handheld football pads, mauled LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh as they drove into the lane at the end of Monday's practice, one might think the star trio were actually running backs preparing for a big game.

Instead, the Heat were just preparing for a physical battle on the court in Tuesday's season opener against the Chicago Bulls. After the Heat staff brought out the football pads to practice for the first time this preseason, the message is clear.

Orlando Magic said:
The Orlando Magic have exercised their third-year team option on the contracts of forward Maurice Harkless and Andrew Nicholson, while also exercising their fourth-year team option on the contracts of Tobias Harris and Nikola Vučević, General Manager Rob Hennigan announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deals are not disclosed. All four players are now under contract through the 2014-15 season.

Washington Wizards said:
The Washington Wizards, trying to strengthen their hand for a playoff push in the Eastern Conference, have acquired center Marcin Gortat from the Phoenix Suns in a five-player deal reached Friday.

The trade sends Gortat and guards Shannon Brown, Malcolm Lee and Kendall Marshall to the Wizards for the expiring contract of veteran big man Emeka Okafor and a protected 2014 first-round pick (to No. 12).

Golden State Warriors said:
OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Golden State Warriors are banking on Andrew Bogut's future in the Bay Area.

The Warriors and the often-injured center agreed to a contract extension Friday, a day after the team finished the preseason. A person with knowledge of the deal told The Associated Press it was for three years and $36 million and could be worth up to about $42 million with incentives.

Los Angeles Clippers said:
LOS ANGELES -- Despite playing in the same city, sharing the same arena and practicing a few miles apart from each other, Doc Rivers doesn't consider the Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers to be a rivalry.

"The Lakers have been pretty dominant," the Clippers coach said. "We've won as of late. It's going to take us a lot more to call it a rivalry, honestly. We have to do a lot more stuff and then we can call it a rivalry. I don't think we've done enough yet."

Los Angeles Lakers said:
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- When the Lakers season opens on Tuesday against the Los Angeles Clippers, it's a good bet the starting lineup will be Steve Nash, Steve Blake, Nick Young, Shawne Williams and Pau Gasol, although head coach Mike D'Antoni would not confirm that on Monday.

Nash, who has been limited by neck and ankle discomfort, admitted he is not 100 percent heading into the Clippers game.
Kobe Bryant sues NBA to delay season opener by 6 months.

Phoenix Suns said:
NEW YORK -- Phoenix Suns forward Markieff Morris was suspended for one game without pay by the NBA on Thursday for elbowing the Oklahoma City's Serge Ibaka in the face.

Sacramento Kings said:
Shaquille O'Neal has bought a minority share of the Sacramento Kings and will be introduced as a member of the team's new ownership group on Tuesday.

O'Neal has been consulting with the Kings since the summer, when majority owner Vivek Ranadive asked him to mentor young big man DeMarcus Cousins. O'Neal has a long business and personal relationship with 24 Hour Fitness founder Mark Mastrov, who is another of Ranadive's partners, and Mastrov arranged the introduction between the future Hall of Fame center and Ranadive.

Dallas Mavericks said:
The Mavericks launched a marketing campaign based on a rhetorical question by Dirk Nowitzki, who is coming off a couple of down years by his Hall of Fame standards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_0itKcoLuA

Houston Rockets said:
Dwight Howard still has fond memories of his time with the Orlando Magic. But the All-Star center evidently is upset that the Magic are allowing someone else to wear his number.

Howard, who wore No. 12 during his eight seasons with Orlando, told the Orlando Sentinel that he is disappointed the Magic granted Tobias Harris' request to wear the number.

"I just think that despite whatever happened, there was a lot of things that I did and that we did as a team, and that number was special down there," Howard told the Sentinel. "And I was a little bit upset about that."

Memphis Grizzlies said:
Michael Jordan laughed off the one-one-one challenge from fellow NBA owner Robert Pera on Wednesday.

"I think that's comical,'' Jordan told the Charlotte Observer. "It didn't make any sense. Why would I play one one-on-one? It's a no-win situation for me no matter what."

New Orleans Pelicans said:
The New Orleans Pelicans plan to use newly acquired swingman Tyreke Evans off the bench.

Pelicans coach Monty Williams revealed his plan Monday, the day before the team began training camp.

San Antonio Spurs said:
SAN ANTONIO -- Family vacations, scouting, free agency, rest and relaxation, playing in the European Championships.

The staff and players of the San Antonio Spurs had a hectic offseason, but not even the busiest day this summer could make them forget what might have been just three months ago.

San Antonio was five seconds away from winning its fifth NBA title only to watch the Miami Heat rally for an improbable 103-100 overtime victory in Game 6. Almost as heartbreaking was a 95-88 loss in Game 7 that gave the Heat their second consecutive title and handed the Spurs their first series loss in the NBA Finals.

"Suffice to say I've thought about it every day," San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said. "I'm wondering if it will go away, I'm anxious for it to happen, but it hasn't happened yet."

Denver Nuggets said:
Danilo Gallinari's rehab from ACL surgery continues on schedule and there is a tentative timeline when he might be able to return to the active lineup.

Minnesota Timberwolves said:
@kevinlove said:
It's the "White Guy" award!! @APkrawczynski: Another from NBA GM survey: @kevinlove is player who makes most of 'limited natural ability.'

Oklahoma City Thunder said:
Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook participated in some on-court drills for the first time since undergoing knee surgery earlier this month, according to the Daily Oklahoman.

"There were bits and pieces where Russell participated in practice, so that was good," Thunder coach Scott Brooks told the newspaper. "It was good to get everybody out there, working together."

Portland Trail Blazers said:
The Portland Trail Blazers will be without C.J. McCollum indefinitely after the rookie guard broke his left foot again, this time during practice Saturday in Tualatin, Ore., the team announced on Twitter.

McCollum fractured his fifth metatarsal bone and will need surgery. The Blazers said a timeframe for his return will be established after the procedure.

Utah Jazz said:
The Utah Jazz, with less than a week to go before the league deadline, remain in talks with swingman Gordon Hayward on a contract extension, according to sources close to the process.

The Jazz already have struck a deal with big man Derrick Favors and have until 11:59 p.m. ET on Oct. 31 to come to terms on an extension with Hayward or see the player widely regarded in Utah as the next face of the franchise become a restricted free agent in July.

And with that, I welcome you to the 2014 NBA season and I leave you with a last bit of wisdom...

Diamonds are Forever, but Nets fans aren't.

reilo

AWoj said:
In the early afternoon hours of July 3, owner Donald Sterling called Los Angeles Clippers president Andy Roeser and informed him he had rescinded approval on trading Eric Bledsoe and acquiring free agent J.J. Redick in a sign-and-trade agreement. The three-team deal – delivered the owner's blessing only two days earlier – no longer interested Sterling.

Call it off, Sterling instructed Roeser, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Deal's dead.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--c...rly-thrown-into-chaos-by-owner-012846814.html

It's the no-lose season this year, either Favors, Hayward, Kanter, Rush/Burks, and Burke show that they're really good or we can go get Randle/Wiggins/Exum/Parker. Now to hope that Hayward doesn't get a max contract.

Reilo was once again too occupied to throw in a small dose of Heat hatage that he couldn't even put NBA in the goddamn title

KingGondo

Banned
It's the no-lose season this year, either Favors, Hayward, Kanter, Rush/Burks, and Burke show that they're really good or we can go get Randle/Wiggins/Exum/Parker. Now to hope that Hayward doesn't get a max contract.
If he does... :lol

I mean, I like G TYME and all, but that's absurd.

KingGondo

Banned
@KDTrey5: This is arguably the best day of my life RT @jerrycferrara: I am proud to announce the #Entourage movie is officially a GO!
Not the day you won an Olympic gold medal, not the day you signed an $80 million contract... The day a movie version of one of the worst HBO shows ever was announced.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Not the day you won an Olympic gold medal, not the day you signed an $80 million contract... The day a movie version of one of the worst HBO shows ever was announced.

I thought the first couple seasons were alright. Granted, I stopped at like season four, I think.

Jim Buss is in charge, your head coach is Pringles, and your big offseason acquisition was the Kaveman.

Lakers-Age will learn some humility this season.

Our big offseason acquisition was as shitty, slow, past his prime Center? Did we have to trade the best SG in the league for a borderline NBDL'er in order to get him?

Eleuin

That raptors story :lol

Perfect representation of me after the season is over. Just fucking dead.
We aren't getting a top 5 pick and we'll be lucky to make the playoffs.

At least garbageani is gone :D

That raptors story :lol

Perfect representation of me after the season is over. Just fucking dead.
We aren't getting a top 5 pick and we'll be lucky to make the playoffs.

At least garbageani is gone :D
You guys lost the TBJ crew (I mean The Starters) as well. I'd say that's a fair trade to get Bargnani off the team

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Those Knicks picks might be nice too if Carmelo decides to not extort them for another 4 years

KingGondo

Banned
Our big offseason acquisition was as shitty, slow, past his prime Center? Did we have to trade the best SG in the league for a borderline NBDL'er in order to get him?
The Lakers also had a player go to Houston. What did you guys get for him again?

Hey, at least it freed up salary room to sign castoffs from the Wolves and Sixers.

I don't blame you for still being in the denial stage of the grieving process. Dr. Buss is gone, and the Lakers golden era died with him. Best-GAF will be here for you when you need us.

reilo

Reilo was once again too occupied to throw in a small dose of Heat hatage that he couldn't even put NBA in the goddamn title

You know the reason I do this is to watch you and Pimp squirm, right? It's like some of you think I feel bad when I see Knicks fans catch feelings.

Top Bottom