• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care to watch this year. The only thing I'd tune in to watch is if somehow the Cavs pull it off. I'd love to see the disappointment on Durant's face.

Maybe next year we won't get a repetitive season finale that we invested tons of time into just to see a repeat.

Max Hayward gonna end LeBrons final streak next season

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 take alert
Look at the box score for the Celtics in that ECF game 6
They only made 1 god damn 3 pointer as a team
1-14 Shit lol
Just an awful game they blew, could have kept LeBron ringless again
Ainge and the Celtics gave LeBron his first ring 🤔👀

v0yce

I'm glad people get the greatness of villain Lebron.

Yeah villain Bron was amazing and they lost in the finals which was perfect story telling.

But then he came back the next season as a face all "I just want to get back having fun playing the game I love" or whatever rebranding Nike decided for him and it made me dislike the guy even more. :/

Yeah villain Bron was amazing and they lost in the finals which was perfect story telling.

But then he came back the next season as a face all "I just want to get back having fun playing the game I love" or whatever rebranding Nike decided for him and it made me dislike the guy even more. :/
Uh

There was 2011 LeBron yeah
But the game six and villain mask LeBron happened after that

2011 LeBron was like a kiddy version that grew up to be the supervillain that those other LeBrons were

SYNTAX182

If the Wiz were not terrible last year and were like they are this year he prob would have seriously thought about going there lol

They weren't that bad, they were an up and coming team in thr east, of course the coaching change to Brooks made the a lot better this year. But he couldn't even give his hometown team a courtesy visit? Lol, I'm just a bitter and commenting more as a biased fan. I kinda knew he wanted the guaranteed best shot to win. Still a punk move though. =)

Honest question, I like the Wizards. Every time I see them play I feel like they're really confident, think they can take anyone on, etc. All of them play like they're the shit. From Brandon Jennings, to Wall, to Beal. It's one of the reasons I wanted to see them take on the Cavs. I feel like a lot of players are scared of Lebron and the Cave, and this team would go at them hard.

But how are you gonna not like KD for acting like he's the shit when he's winning, but your gonna like the Wizards for acting like their the shit even when they're losing?

"Cleveland didn't want to see us," Beal told CSN Mid-Atlantic on Thursday. "I always said that. I felt like that's a reason they didn't play us in the second round. They didn't want to see us in the second round. If they were going to go down, they were going to go down in the conference finals. They didn't want to go down in the second round.

Dude gets whooped and then acts like the Cave were scared? Please.

Eh, like a said above, it's more from a perpective of a biased fan in me, it wasn't really a serious statement from me that I would want to debate it. But there's a difference in Beal having confidence in the team that drafted him, he's gotta believe that, he has to believe they are good because he wants to keep that confidence up. Durant is coming into a team that was already established and ready to go every year to the finals without him. He acts like the team couldn't make it in without him. Just a feeling I get from him now.

It seems like you are supposed to wear a transparent mask for whatever reason. The same thing happened with Kyrie a few years ago when he needed to wear one and they forced him to change from a black one.

Sorry if I'm being captain obvious here, but "whatever reason" is probably due to a solid mask making it easy to put cheating material in your forehead, like shit that would make it easier to grab a basketball better. I agree that Lebron looks badass as fuck on that shot, but it was never realistically happening for long.

Mory Dunz

Honest question, I like the Wizards. Every time I see them play I feel like they're really confident, think they can take anyone on, etc. All of them play like they're the shit. From Brandon Jennings, to Wall, to Beal. It's one of the reasons I wanted to see them take on the Cavs. I feel like a lot of players are scared of Lebron and the Cave, and this team would go at them hard.

But how are you gonna not like KD for acting like he's the shit when he's winning, but your gonna like the Wizards for acting like their the shit even when they're losing?

"Cleveland didn't want to see us," Beal told CSN Mid-Atlantic on Thursday. "I always said that. I felt like that's a reason they didn't play us in the second round. They didn't want to see us in the second round. If they were going to go down, they were going to go down in the conference finals. They didn't want to go down in the second round.

Dude gets whooped and then acts like the Cave were scared? Please.

the wizards are so annoying...

Servbot24

Banned
I don't care to watch this year. The only thing I'd tune in to watch is if somehow the Cavs pull it off. I'd love to see the disappointment on Durant's face.

Maybe next year we won't get a repetitive season finale that we invested tons of time into just to see a repeat.
You invested time thinking there would be a different matchup?

kIdMuScLe

Did anyone see that David stern statement that it was Kupchak who basically screwed the Chris paul trade? This fucking guy...

Did anyone see that David stern statement that it was Kupchak who basically screwed the Chris paul trade? This fucking guy...

It's a bit more nuanced than that.

“(My decision) was only based on what was good for New Orleans, or what was not good for New Orleans. It had nothing to do with the Lakers at all. And in fact, in the course of the weekend, we thought we could re-do the deal. We really thought that Houston would be ready to part with Kyle Lowry; and we had a trade lined up for Odom that would have gotten us a good first round draft pick. Not we, but my basketball folks. But Mitch Kupchack at the time panicked, and moved Odom to Dallas. So the piece wasn’t even there for us to play with at the time. So that was it — just about what was good for the then New Orleans Hornets.

phanphare

Banned
It's a mystery to me how he won that award.

that award was basically saying that lebron played extremely well, not to take anything away from iggy. it was basically giving the award to lebron but not because he was on the losing team. for me the turning point of the series was when steph downloaded delly.

random25

that award was basically saying that lebron played extremely well, not to take anything away from iggy. it was basically giving the award to lebron but not because he was on the losing team. for me the turning point of the series was when steph downloaded delly.

Yeah, nothing against Iggy but it's not like he stopped LeBron or anything. They won the finals because Steph just went MVP mode on the later part of the series.

He slowed LeBron down a bit. Apparently that's all it takes.

It's bound to happen when he's a one-man show in Cleveland. It should have been won by Steph to be honest.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It's bound to happen when he's a one-man show in Cleveland. It should have been won by Steph to be honest.
Of course he should have won it but whatever. The thing that pissed me off is when people use him not winning it to bolster their case that Steph is this guy that shrinks in the moment.

phanphare

Banned
Of course he should have won it but whatever. The thing that pissed me off is when people use him not winning it to bolster their case that Steph is this guy that shrinks in the moment.

even in the early games where steph wasn't playing well and even in games they lost every time the 4th quarter would roll around steph would get his mojo back and then of course he sealed the deal in those last handful of games.

steph is one of the best playoff performers when considering points + efficiency

the narrative surrounding him is a strange one

here's some career playoff averages, tell me who's who

28.3 pts, 6.7 ast, 1.8 stl, 48% FG, 33% 3FG, 74% FT

26.2 pts, 6.4 ast, 1.7 stl, 45% FG, 41% 3FG, 88% FT

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Lebron's 30-something/game during those 2015 Finals is misleading given he averaged 30-something shots/game and made 40% of them. It seemed like he went 15/36 every game. "Volume scorer".

Game 2 lost Curry the MVP award.

even in the early games where steph wasn't playing well and even in games they lost every time the 4th quarter would roll around steph would get his mojo back and then of course he sealed the deal in those last handful of games.

steph is one of the best playoff performers when considering points + efficiency

the narrative surrounding him is a strange one

here's some career playoff averages, tell me who's who

28.3 pts, 6.7 ast, 1.8 stl, 48% FG, 33% 3FG, 74% FT

26.2 pts, 6.4 ast, 1.7 stl, 45% FG, 41% 3FG, 88% FT

Nice cherry picking of stats. You only make Lebron look even more impressive considering he's a wing who also averages twice as many rebounds and blocks while STILL also scoring more and having more assists.

Boogs31

Nice cherry picking of stats. You only make Lebron look even more impressive considering he's a wing who also averages twice as many rebounds and blocks while STILL also scoring more and having more assists.

Well of course LeBron averages more rebounds and blocks, he's a much bigger human being. He averages much more rebounds and blocks than Steph during the regular season too. The point they were making still stands. Steph isn't as bad in the playoffs as people make him out to be.

phanphare

Banned

I mean, yeah, lebron is one of the best players to ever play the game. top 3 imo.

that wasn't my argument tho so.....

Boogs31

Yea, he'll join after his supermax deal with the clippers is over. lol

But really, it's like zero chance. Spurs would have do a bunch of shit to make it work that I doubt Pop would even consider and CP3 still needs to sacrifice money to join. But somehow, the Clippers are worried he'll leave, lol.

Why on earth would Pop NOT consider adding CP3 to his team? Their weakest position is point guard and CP3 is still one of the top 3 or 4 point guards in the league. They would have to make some moves but it's not unreasonable to think San Antonio could pull it off. They traded away Thiago Splitter to make room to sign Lamarcus Aldridge. If Manu and Tony both retire, which is a legitimate possibility, they would already be close to having the necessary space. They would have to probably make an additional move or two but it's very possible. Wouldn't be surprised if they moved Pau to make it happen.

Dragun619

Why on earth would Pop NOT consider adding CP3 to his team? Their weakest position is point guard and CP3 is still one of the top 3 or 4 point guards in the league. They would have to make some moves but it's not unreasonable to think San Antonio could pull it off. They traded away Thiago Splitter to make room to sign Lamarcus Aldridge. If Manu and Tony both retire, which is a legitimate possibility, they would already be close to having the necessary space. They would have to probably make an additional move or two but it's very possible. Wouldn't be surprised if they moved Pau to make it happen.

I mean, If Tony actually retires, then Pop would consider it. But so far it all points to Tony set on fully recovering first and by then the season would be well under way already.

This is where I dislike TV contracts. Today is a perfect to start the finals instead of having to wait. BBQ, get drunk, no work tomorrow

Boogs31

CP would be dumb to not take the super max he helped negotiate, especially as president of the players association.

If he genuinely wants to go to the Spurs why would he care if he doesn't benefit from the rule he helped negotiate? It will still benefit other players. When it comes down to it, his job as president is to make changes that benefit the league's players, not just him. If he'll be happier playing on the Spurs than the Clippers, you honestly think he would care about the public backlash over not signing a super max?

If he genuinely wants to go to the Spurs why would he care if he doesn't benefit from the rule he helped negotiate? It will still benefit other players. When it comes down to it, his job as president is to make changes that benefit the league's players, not just him. If he'll be happier playing on the Spurs than the Clippers, you honestly think he would care about the public backlash over not signing a super max?

I would imagine he negotiated the rule because he wanted to take advantage of it.

Also there is pressure from the PA for players to not take less money.

Boogs31

I mean, If Tony actually retires, then Pop would consider it. But so far it all points to Tony set on fully recovering first and by then the season would be well under way already.

Even if Tony doesn't retire, he's likely to be a worse player post injury. It was very debatable whether or not the pre injury Tony Parker was a good enough point guard to help the Spurs win another title.

It may be best for him to finish his career in the role Manu has had these past few years. Be the playmaker of the bench for 15-20 minutes. So even if he stays, why not still go after CP3 as your starting point guard to replace Mills (Who's also a free agent) and bring Parker off the bench?

They'd have to trade Pau, let Mills walk and give Manu a sizable paycut if he returns. But don't forget, with a core of CP3, Kawhi and Aldridge, they'll be able to sign a couple of veterans for the minimum who want to compete for a title to fill out their bench.

Boogs31

I would imagine he negotiated the rule because he wanted to take advantage of it.

Also there is pressure from the PA for players to not take less money.

I think he will value his own happiness and desires over that of the PA. And CP3 and LeBron are very close. LeBron is due to benefit from the rule. Couldn't CP3 have helped negotiate that deal for the benefit of his good friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom