• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about the 2008 Eastern Conference Semifinals against the Celtics?

He has a good record in game 7's but let's not start claiming it's guaranteed. They barely won game 7 last year to a Golden State team that was fatigued from playing back to back 7 game series, was missing their starting center to injury (Bogut), their backup center (Ezeli) was playing injured, and Curry was playing at 75%.

And LeBron's only other Finals game 7 was also a tightly contested win over the Spurs.

Curry is healthy, the Warriors have added Kevin Durant, their centers are better and healthier than last year, and they are well rested unlike last year when they had to use all their energy to get past OKC. If it goes 7, Golden State will be the definitive favorites with home court advantage.
That was nine years ago on a much weaker team.

Plus the Warriors game was away, and you don't get excuses for Game 7 of the NBA Finals. Everyone is exhausted.

1. Every team San Antonio has been beaten by since 2008 has lost in the next round. Since 2002, none of those teams have won the championship

2. Stephen A. Smith has predicted the winner of the finals wrong 11 straight times. He just said GSW in 7.

https://streamable.com/xcieh

RIP Dubs. Doubt they beat a double SAS curse

Golden State fans
not-like-this.gif

Cleveland fans
gDEDfCD.gif

Boogs31

That was nine years ago on a much weaker team.

Plus the Warriors game was away, and you don't get excuses for Game 7 of the NBA Finals. Everyone is exhausted.

You can't possibly claim the Cavs were exhausted getting through the East last year. They went 12 and 2 and the two losses were because they choose not to try in games 3 and 4 in Toronto. OKC was actually a great team that legitimacy pushed the Warriors to the brink. Toronto would not have made it out of the first round last year if they played in the Western Conference.

phanphare

Banned
No matter how self aware he is, he can't control the outcome of his curse. He's been doing it for 6 years in a row, it's not stopping anytime soon.

well my head canon when the warriors win will be that stephen a, aware of his jinx, picked the opposite of who he thought would win therefore nullifying his correct pick

or the cavs win and we can just lol at yet another missed pick

either way he's wrong

well my head canon when the warriors win will be that stephen a, aware of his jinx, picked the opposite of who he thought would win therefore nullifying his correct pick

or the cavs win and we can just lol at yet another missed pick

either way he's wrong
So you're saying SAS is trying to pull a reverse Konex? That never works and makes me feel much better. Thanks.

You can't possibly claim the Cavs were exhausted getting through the East last year. They went 12 and 2 and the two losses were because they choose not to try in games 3 and 4 in Toronto. OKC was actually a great team that legitimacy pushed the Warriors to the brink. Toronto would not have made it out of the first round last year if they played in the Western Conference.
They were playing the seventh game against one of the best teams of all time, they were exhausted.

bionic77

Things to watch for:

1. How much will refs allow the Cavs to maul Steph to tire him out and mess up his rhythm?

2. How many screens will JR try to bulldoze through?

3. Dahntay comes in just to tilt Draymond.

4. Illegal screens everywhere.

5. If Kerr comes back, does Draymond become hesitant and his 3pt % tanks, allowing the Cavs to leave him open?

6. Does Iggy and Klay find their grooves again?

7. Will GSW continue the tradition of dumping Varejao midseason then going on to win the championship?
Green has been very reserved on offense and in control for the entire playoffs.

GS is clearly on a mission for revenge. Reminds me of the Spurs the year they destroyed the Cavs.

Not that the Cavs will go down without a fight, they have too much offense to go away easily, just that that is the mindset it reminds me of.

Boogs31

They were playing the seventh game against one of the best teams of all time, they were exhausted.

You seem to talk as if all levels of fatigue are equal. The 7 game, exhausting series you are referring to, was also exhausting for the Warriors.

Yet only the Warriors had an equally exhausting, 7 game series IMMEDIATELY preceding the Finals.

The Cavs were able to begin the Finals totally fresh. While the Warriors came into the Finals already tired.

Just saying "both teams were exhausted", is totally ignoring the events that took place prior to last years Finals and is also ignoring the fact that there are different levels of how mentally and physically tired a player can be.

You seem to talk as if all levels of fatigue are equal. The 7 game, exhausting series you are referring to, was also exhausting for the Warriors.

Yet only the Warriors had an equally exhausting, 7 game series IMMEDIATELY preceding the Finals.

The Cavs were able to begin the Finals totally fresh. While the Warriors came into the Finals already tired.

Just saying "both teams were exhausted", is totally ignoring the events that took place prior to last years Finals and is also ignoring the fact that there are different levels of how mentally and physically tired a player can be.
LeBron's career minutes played is probably greater than several players on the Warriors combined. I can do this too.

Boogs31

LeBron's career minutes played is probably greater than several players on the Warriors combined. I can do this too.

I'm assuming you've never played competitive sports before because otherwise you wouldn't make a comment like that. Career minutes played does not impact a players short term fatigue. Mileage and age on an athletes body effects their athleticism in a permanent way. LeBron is an exception though because he has not shown any signs of slowing down which doesn't benefit your argument. LeBron being tired in last years Finals was due to the fact that he played 7 extremely demanding games in the matter of two weeks, not because he played 3,000 minutes back in 2006.

So which star has the most pressure in this final? I think most people will say Durant and I have to agree. If you leave an elite team to join an even better team, you are expected to play great.

But what if the Warriors loses and he plays great? Is it still fair to criticize his move to the Warriors?

Syrus

Banned
So which star has the most pressure in this final? I think most people will say Durant and I have to agree. If you leave an elite team to join an even better team, you are expected to play great.

But what if the Warriors loses and he plays great? Is it still fair to criticize his move to the Warriors?

Absofuckinglutely

VeeP

If he wins he'll get criticized. If he loses he gets criticized. If he plays great he get criticized. If he plays poorly he'll get criticized.

No matter what happens at the end of the finals, expect "Fuck the Warriors" posts.

Kickz

If he wins he'll get criticized. If he loses he gets criticized. If he plays great he get criticized. If he plays poorly he'll get criticized.

No matter what happens at the end of the finals, expect "Fuck the Warriors" posts.

full
I don't think, its fair to equate the 'fuck the Warriors' posts with 'KD is a bitch' posts.

I like the Warriors and Curry but am firmly on KD is a bitch bandwagon

VeeP

full
I don't think, its fair to equate the 'fuck the Warriors' posts with 'KD is a bitch' posts.

I like the Warriors and Curry but am firmly on KD is a bitch bandwagon

And that's fair. I guess what. I was trying to say is no matter what KD does, he could have a game winning shot Game 7 or win Finals MVP, people will still say KD is a bitch. And half the people saying KD is a bitch will say Fuck the Warriors.

Ronin Ray

It's a lot to give up but let's not forget that he'll still be making a TON of money whether he signs for the super max or just the regular max. And how do you know what he values more? Maybe the extra money is not as important to him as competing for a championship. We won't know that answer until he makes his decision.

And why would bringing in CP3 somehow hinder the progress of the Spurs young players? It's not as if Murray is going to start in the next 2 years anyway. If San Antonio goes the non CP3 route, brings back Mills, and Parker doesn't retire, Murray will still just be the 3rd point guard anyway. Bertans will still get playing time whether CP3 is there or not. Keeping Simmons comes down to how big of a contract he signs as a restricted free agent. San Antonio won't match if they think it's an overpay. They can acquire CP3 if they trade Pau and do a couple smaller cost saving moves. They don't have to sacrifice their future to get him.

I looked it up he would give up 60 plus mill. He's mid 30 pg that is injury prone and ball dominant. He's amazing but that's money spent on younger talent that can actually compete after 4 or 5 years when Kawhi is entering his prime. Also it would take more then trading pau.

If we're playing the not going to happen super star game get pg or brandon Hayward.Then again I am just happy if the spurs can trade LMA for anything decent.

And that's fair. I guess what. I was trying to say is no matter what KD does, he could have a game winning shot Game 7 or win Finals MVP, people will still say KD is a bitch. And half the people saying KD is a bitch will say Fuck the Warriors.

KD could get hurt, watch the entire Finals from the bench and still get a ring as GS somehow still beats CLE doesn't make him any less of a bitch. He won't get out from that label til he leaves GS.

KD will be finals MVP while Lebron will deliver his worst playoff performance since the Mavs series.

Really not sure why people are leaning the Cavs way. The writing is in the wall;the Warriors are 2017 Champs.

Gigglepoo

Anyone else switching which team they're rooting for this year? I think I'm pulling for the Cavs now because A) It would be a better story B) I don't like Durant C) I'd love to see LeBron pull ever closer to Jordan in the greatest ever debate and D) I like underdogs.

I'm assuming you've never played competitive sports before because otherwise you wouldn't make a comment like that. Career minutes played does not impact a players short term fatigue. Mileage and age on an athletes body effects their athleticism in a permanent way. LeBron is an exception though because he has not shown any signs of slowing down which doesn't benefit your argument. LeBron being tired in last years Finals was due to the fact that he played 7 extremely demanding games in the matter of two weeks, not because he played 3,000 minutes back in 2006.
Unfortunately your assumption sounds even more dumb than your initial assessment. Try finding some reasonable ground to stand on.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Rooting for the warriors. Fuck the cavs. KD did what any of us would do (improve his life). Don't understand KD haters.

Anyway, I really really like LeBron but couldn't care less about the cavs. On the other hand I like the warriors as a team and on an individual level.

Gigglepoo

Rooting for the warriors. Fuck the cavs. KD did what any of us would do (improve his life). Don't understand KD haters.

I didn't like him in OKC, either. He just seems like a surely bastard the last few seasons. It's weird. He was seen as a nice guy for years but as soon as he started talking it was nothing but petty complaints.

hbkdx12

Anyone else switching which team they're rooting for this year? I think I'm pulling for the Cavs now because A) It would be a better story B) I don't like Durant C) I'd love to see LeBron pull ever closer to Jordan in the greatest ever debate and D) I like underdogs.
I feel like these are the only reasons anyone would ever root for the cavs in this situation. Surely there aren't many people going into this thinking the cavs are legimately the better team.

The One and Done™;238474764 said:
Really not sure why people are leaning the Cavs way. The writing is in the wall;the Warriors are 2017 Champs.

Cause similar musings were said last year going into the Finals.

There's a reason why we don't auto-sim the real Finals as though it was NBA 2K.

Dynomutt

I didn't like him in OKC, either. He just seems like a surely bastard the last few seasons. It's weird. He was seen as a nice guy for years but as soon as he started talking it was nothing but petty complaints.

I just hate the fact that he doesn't brush his hair. Damn KD got all that money and can't get a good brush and wave cap.

Cause similar musings were said last year going into the Finals.

There's a reason why we don't auto-sim the real Finals as though it was NBA 2K.

Curry was hurt and Draymond got a bogus suspension last year. Otherwise we'd be primed for a Warrior 3 peat.

Let's face reality, Lebrick will choke, Love will disappear and Kyrie will dribble the air out of the ball while the Warriors big 4 will destroy them.

The One and Done™;238476618 said:
Curry was hurt and Draymond got a bogus suspension last year. Otherwise we'd be primed for a Warrior 3 peat.

Let's face reality, Lebrick will choke, Love will disappear and Kyrie will dribble the air out of the ball while the Warriors big 4 will destroy them.

The Warriors had 3 games to get one. If ANYBODY choked...

Boogs31

Unfortunately your assumption sounds even more dumb than your initial assessment. Try finding some reasonable ground to stand on.

I'm the one not standing on reasonable ground?

All I said was the Warriors last year were more fatigued than the Cavs prior to the start of the Finals. I don't see how that's not a reasonable statement.

All you responded with was "both teams were exhausted".

I then made the reasonable statement that playing two 7 game series is more exhausting than playing in just 1.

You then took us on a tangent with a comment about LeBron's career minutes which has literally nothing to do with the discussion.

I'm not reasonable? Okay.

I'm the one not standing on reasonable ground?

All I said was the Warriors last year were more fatigued than the Cavs prior to the start of the Finals. I don't see how that's not a reasonable statement.

All you responded with was "both teams were exhausted".

I then made the reasonable statement that playing two 7 game series is more exhausting than playing in just 1.

You then took us on a tangent with a comment about LeBron's career minutes which has literally nothing to do with the discussion.

I'm not reasonable? Okay.
Yes, because you're trying to etch a sketch your way into an argument that LeBron hasn't been phenomenal in game sevens by using a game from nine years ago and by "barely getting by" two of the best collective teams in NBA history in game sevens of the finals by leveraging tiredness, something that affects both teams heavily seeing as it's the last game of the season, as any sort of argument.

Boy, please.

qcf x2

Anyway, I really really like LeBron but couldn't care less about the cavs. On the other hand I like the warriors as a team and on an individual level.

He's whiny af, he went to the team that beat his despite the fact they could have won that series and he could have played a lot better in the final quarter of game 6, and he looks funny. 3/3 douche points from this armchair commentator.

Warriors just seem like awkward jerks with the possible exception of Klay. Or maybe I just like Klay. They ALL pout, they ALL whine, and the fans can be a bit much -- I'll never forget Ayesha's legendary conspiracy theory meltdown last year, hoping for more of that. No denying their skill or earned accolades thus far, but they're the second easiest team to root against in recent NBA memory for me.

Boogs31

Yes, because you're trying to etch a sketch your way into an argument that LeBron hasn't been phenomenal in game sevens by using a game from nine years ago and by "barely getting by" two of the best collective teams in NBA history in game sevens of the finals by leveraging tiredness, something that affects both teams heavily seeing as it's the last game of the season, as any sort of argument.

Boy, please.

Well you clearly misinterpreted my statement on LeBron in game 7's. All I said was you can't guarantee the Cavs will win game 7 just because they have LeBron. He doesn't guarantee you a win. I never said I didn't think LeBron has been great in game 7's. He was great in that 2008 game that I mentioned that he lost.

I get that people have different reasons for hating on KD. But the stupidest one that many share is that he joined the team that just beat him. Such an arbitrary condition to determine whether his choice was acceptable or not. So if chance had it so that the Thunder and Warriors never even met in the playoffs last year, it would somehow make his decision okay to those people?

It's about as arbitrary as expecting these players to stay loyal to these teams that got a lucky ping pong draw. A ping pong ball that many of these teams earned by being some of the shittiest run organizations. "Congrats! Your prize for being one of the most promising players in the draft is being locked into playing for one of the worst teams in the league! And even when you earn earn your freedom in free agency, people will shit on you if you don't decide to stay with that shitty organization!"

Well you clearly misinterpreted my statement on LeBron in game 7's. All I said was you can't guarantee the Cavs will win game 7 just because they have LeBron. He doesn't guarantee you a win. I never said I didn't think LeBron has been great in game 7's. He was great in that 2008 game that I mentioned that he lost.
I see. My apologies.

Kickz

I get that people have different reasons for hating on KD. But the stupidest one that many share is that he joined the team that just beat him. Such an arbitrary condition to determine whether his choice was acceptable or not. So if chance had it so that the Thunder and Warriors never even met in the playoffs last year, it would somehow make his decision okay to those people?

full
Whats arbitrary about it? Joining a stacked 73-9 team that just eliminated your ass is a bitch move.

So are we expecting the Cavs to rock their sleeved black jerseys for away games in this series? They became notorious last season when the Cavs wore them in game 5 and 7. They hadn't lost a game yet in them and they wore them headed into game 5 as a message. They haven't worn them yet in the 2016-17 playoffs from what I understand

full
Whats arbitrary about it? Joining a stacked 73-9 team that just eliminated your ass is a bitch move.

Especially when it also killed a contending team that was their main competition in the west. For the Warriors, I think getting KD was more about destroying another contending team than it was about building their team up. They lost depth by getting KD and just came off a 73-9 season. They didn't need any more firing power

yuraya

full

GSW fits Durant's playstyle much more than OKC. Unselfish fast paced basketball where the open guy gets the ball every time.

Why would anyone want to play with Westbrook just to see him brick 10 shots in a row and turn the ball over 5 straight times to end every single game that he plays in. Durant would never win with him. No one will ever win anything with WB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom