• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA JAM: On Fire Edition Announced (Digital Download, October)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
AlphaTwo00 said:
I look forward to picking up the disk version for cheap when this arrives, I guess.

Don't--the lack of tag mode makes it unbearable.

Bog

Junior Ace
Wow, lots of people saying how happy they are that they waited. Yeah, it had some issues, but if you were smart enough to get it on the cheap from K-Mart or something, you would've had a fun arcade sports game for a full year... I guess skip next year's sports games, too -- 2013's will just have more features.

Why For?

Banned
Knew I should have held off. One lesson I will learn for next gen. Wait off before buying any game or hardware.

Oh well. I do love my NBA Jam.

Bog said:
Wow, lots of people saying how happy they are that they waited. Yeah, it had some issues, but if you were smart enough to get it on the cheap from K-Mart or something, you would've had a fun arcade sports game for a full year... I guess skip next year's sports games, too -- 2013's will just have more features.
Rented, had friends picked it up (suckers), played enough, didn't need to buy it, especially not at the asking price (or any discounted one, for that matter)

Bog said:

the idea is to get a complete NBA Jam game, not a complete sports sim game.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The Wii version is so damn awesome. They totally mishandled the relaunch of this IP :(

I probably won't get it since I'm too used to Wii controls now.

John Harker said:
They totally mishandled the relaunch of this IP :(

I am sure there are some extra mistakes they could've made in the process compared to what they actually did, but I'll be damned if I can think of any.

Translation: Initially making it a Wii Exclusive was stupid, but then releasing it as a disc-based game on the 360 and PS3 was a galactically stupid fuckup.

V_Ben

Banned
charlequin said:
I am sure there are some extra mistakes they could've made in the process compared to what they actually did, but I'll be damned if I can think of any.

They could've rebooted it midway through development and then cancelled it, only to resurrect the version prior to the reboot as a PlayStation mini.

vg260

I held out buying this until it became a downloadable title and I'm glad I did. Would have liked sooner, but will consider in the fall.

I was excited until I read.......OCTOBER, why are they announcing this now?

edit: what's this tag mode? you telling me you couldn't switch between teammates in the first place?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
V_Ben said:
They could've rebooted it midway through development and then cancelled it, only to resurrect the version prior to the reboot as a PlayStation mini.

Given how long before release we were seeing developer resumes for the game pop up, who says the project wasn't rebooted at least once? :p

FINALBOSS

Banned
How about updating my FUCKING disc copy? The disc version fucking blows. It needs a patch so bad. Insane rubberband AI, the CPU perfect at pushing and blocking, and no auto-switch to your teammate? Christ. And they want me to buy ANOTHER? Fuck that.

V_Ben

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Given how long before release we were seeing developer resumes for the game pop up, who says the project wasn't rebooted at least once? :p

True! :p

FINALBOSS said:
How about updating my FUCKING disc copy? The disc version fucking blows. It needs a patch so bad. Insane rubberband AI, the CPU perfect at pushing and blocking, and no auto-switch to your teammate? Christ. And they want me to buy ANOTHER? Fuck that.

They said that they're never going to update that version, if I recall correctly. You're not even going to get a roster update.

Plasma

Banned
Was going to pick it up when it hit games on demand, think I'll wait for this version now instead.

Had a lot of fun with the ipod version but it'll be nice playing it with a controller.

Fuck you EA.

Seriously, don't make the JAM series one of your yearly rehashed. It's better than that.

Now I understand why JAM Wii had so many little problems. EA was getting it geared up for the yearly refinement.

No Tag swapping pretty much made the original a guaranteed no-buy for me, no matter how cheap it got, so good to see this update will fix that (along with the roster updates). Jam sucks w/o player swapping.

CoffeeJanitor said:
Fuck you EA.

Seriously, don't make the JAM series one of your yearly rehashed. It's better than that.

Now I understand why JAM Wii had so many little problems. EA was getting it geared up for the yearly refinement.

When I first read about the improvements my blood pressure shot up. I bought the disc version because I couldn't resist...but they won't even do roster updates for the 360/PS3 but they've done it for iPhone?! I do feel like they released a half assed version with the intention of releasing a better one later.

Tag mode should have been in already. I have no idea how it wasn't. I love playing this game with people but it is unbearable otherwise.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
No Tag swapping pretty much made the original a guaranteed no-buy for me, no matter how cheap it got, so good to see this update will fix that (along with the roster updates). Jam sucks w/o player swapping.

I shoulda done my research before I bought it. I was sooo caught up in the hype (huge NBA Jam fan) that I bought it the second I saw it at Best Buy...and I don't even buy my damn games there.

No tag swapping makes me want to rip my own dick off!!!!!

LOL

EA won't be releasing a simulation basketball game this year. The gap in public consciousness between it and the 2K series will get even larger. It's gonna take several years for Live/Elite to get any semblance of marketshare again. 2K is the Madden of basketball and Live will be dominated if 2K continues to innovate.

Ninja Scooter said:
I don't understand why anyone bought it knowing it had no tagging? You guys have nobody to blame but yourselves!

I was going to get it regardless for solo/multiplay. but going through the single player to unlock stuff is a pain in the ass

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sounds like they're not sticking with the Elite branding, or at least are considering alternatives at this point. Not surprising given what's currently associated with the name.

BigAT

This is the free patch that should have been released to fix the disc based game, instead of absolutely abandoning it. Such a disappointing, broken game, it's infuriating to see them making this cash grab instead of fixing the game they already shipped. I'm thankful I only paid $20 for it (and was able to trade it in for $17).

ShockingAlberto said:
What's tag mode?

if you are playing single player, and you pass it to your teammate, you take control of the teammate. Without it, the CPU controls your teammate and you stand around doing jack all.

turnbuckle

Nice, tag mode back in. Rented it for the 360 and it was fun with a human teammate, but anytime you're stuck with the AI as a partner it got annoying real quick. They need to tone down the rubberband AI, add a create a player, and probably something else I can't think of at the moment. Basically, they need to just make this NBA Hangtime with updated rosters.

heyf00L

Dark FaZe said:
lmao

No Live or Elite until 2012?

Honestly this is incredible news. The amount of shit that is not even comparable to the 2k series is something that can't be fixed in 1 or even 2 years.

It will be 2 and a half or so years of development time for Nba Elite 13 if it drops in fall of 2012...that's an amazing amount of time for a dedicated sports simulation.
NFL 2K would have done the same to Madden if it had been given the chance.

bumpkin

turnbuckle said:
Nice, tag mode back in. Rented it for the 360 and it was fun with a human teammate, but anytime you're stuck with the AI as a partner it got annoying real quick. They need to tone down the rubberband AI, add a create a player, and probably something else I can't think of at the moment. Basically, they need to just make this NBA Hangtime with updated rosters.
They should utilize the Live Vision and PS Eye to let players put their face on a created player.

bumpkin said:
They should utilize the Live Vision and PS Eye to let players put their face on a created player.

This would awesome.

I'm glad I waited too. I've been close to getting the PS3 version several times now. Hopefully the PSN version has motion control similar to the Wii game.

Ninja Scooter said:
if you are playing single player, and you pass it to your teammate, you take control of the teammate. Without it, the CPU controls your teammate and you stand around doing jack all.

In the new game you can't press a button to make your teammate pass it back or shoot like you could in the original?

str8-h4x

What's also hilarious is that the entire Jam title was released on partnernet as a xlba package, and used the same size as most xbla games.

2-3 months later, the exact same thing was put on a disc for chumps like us to buy for 50 US Dollars.

1200 Allards or bust.

:(

I'm glad that EA wants to correct the problems but like it's been said this could've been patched in instead of going this way. But it's NBA Jam so EA has my money anyway. Now EA just needs to convince the No Fun League that kids won't murder each other if they bring Blitz/Street back.

Top Bottom