• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA JAM: On Fire Edition Announced (Digital Download, October)

panama chief said:
please no more spoilers people. the hidden characters are one of the reasons i love this game, trying to be surprised here. =)
Have you considered media blackout?

Isaac and Faith is awesome!

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Came in hoping they tightened the gameplay. Still takes AGES to get a shot off and is as sloppy playing as ever.

Mileena

Banned
so... not good? I haven't played Jam since the original so I don't remember much of how it plays. Might buy if the online is good though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
corkscrewblow said:
so... not good? I haven't played Jam since the original so I don't remember much of how it plays. Might buy if the online is good though.

I think it's great, much better than the previous one. But then, my only real interest in basketball is NBA Jam.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
corkscrewblow said:
Have you tried playing online? It would be my main reason to get this.

I haven't, no, but from what I recall, the netcode in the previous one wasn't bad at all. And I'd assume it's the same netcode this time around.

Amory

corkscrewblow said:
Have you tried playing online? It would be my main reason to get this.

Online is great. Matched me up with opponents real quick and ran silky smooth. Lots of people online too.

It's as intense as ever, too. I ended up winning by one in one game and losing by one in the next. My thumbs hurt from mashing buttons.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I had been waiting for the PSN version since this was first announced on the Wii. Haven't tried any of the versions before this one, but this is great! The alley-oop thing is a lot of fun too, gives you some dump options if you're about to get blocked and your buddy is going up... the road trip mode is great and there's little dings and unlocks going off all the time, increasing your level and points. And it seems like most of, if not all of the old classic characters are available for unlocking, like Bird and Shaq and even the old Bulls combo of Pippin/Kukoc... heh. Plus mascots for every team! This is next-gen NBA Jam, feels a lot like the old one except it seems like it's easier to get blocked and stuffed this time, which is kinda nice, keeps the games close.

Also, all the "jam session" unlockable modes seem neat, big heads, special balls, etc... really happy with this so far.

fisheyes

I'm pretty keen to jump on this, I love me some NBA Jam. Is it up yet? I did a quick search of the xbox website but its not helping me.

Mrbob

fisheyes said:
I'm pretty keen to jump on this, I love me some NBA Jam. Is it up yet? I did a quick search of the xbox website but its not helping me.

PSN version is up right now. Xbox version is up in a couple hours.

fisheyes

Mrbob said:
PSN version is up right now. Xbox version is up in a couple hours.

Ah, cheers. Was wondering how people were saying they were playing it despite the fact it didn't appear to be up, but I completely forgot about the PS3 version.

jergrah

Does it have tag mode (you control who has the ball) option this year?
I couldn't believe it was missing in last years version.

jergrah said:
Does it have tag mode (you control who has the ball) option this year?
I couldn't believe it was missing in last years version.

Yes

Also like to report played three matches, quickmatch is super fast and netcode had no noticeable issues whatsoever.

jergrah

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Yes

Also like to report played three matches, quickmatch is super fast and netcode had no noticeable issues whatsoever.

Thanks! I will be buying tomorrow knowing that tag mode is in

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Really liked what I played thus far, but as a huge fan of NBA Jam TE on SNES (which was the last Jam game I played) the button config in this game FUCKING SUCKS. It is completely backwards and I can't believe they don't give you an option to change it. Patch that shit immediately EA.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Sp3eD said:
Really liked what I played thus far, but as a huge fan of NBA Jam TE on SNES (which was the last Jam game I played) the button config in this game FUCKING SUCKS. It is completely backwards and I can't believe they don't give you an option to change it. Patch that shit immediately EA.

Amen brother. Don't know how many times I reached over for that Y-button punch only to have my dude sail through the air, or tried to pass but switched to a different character entirely. SNES controls should totally be an option, though they'll never add that and we will just have to get used to it.

Hoping the DLC includes the remix tour stuff. I bought the 360 version last year but barely played it since none of my friends ended up getting it. Would like to revisit that stuff some time.

derFeef

Please tell me you get some unlocks if you have played the normal disc version! I played that 4 hours all day for two weeks - so much fun. But it became a wasteland soon.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
derFeef said:
Please tell me you get some unlocks if you have played the normal disc version! I played that 4 hours all day for two weeks - so much fun. But it became a wasteland soon.

You do indeed. Your level is boosted to 10 from the start, and you get 15,000 Jam Bucks. Plus a nice little thank you message from the devs and Tim Kitzrow.

derFeef

Seraphis Cain said:
You do indeed. Your level is boosted to 10 from the start, and you get 15,000 Jam Bucks. Plus a nice little thank you message from the devs and Tim Kitzrow.
Ohh very nice, thanks for the info.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Seriously, this game is just ridiculously good. So much so that frankly it makes the previous installment look like a complete joke for being a $50 game. So much content for such a low price is just crazy. There's an absolute ton of stuff to unlock and the leaderboards are insanely detailed. I love this game.

pilonv1

I started to think it was pretty tedious after a few games, but then you unlock the extra modes and you find out who all the unlockable players are. There's really a lot of content here for 1200 points. Then there's the challenges and the online...

Not ashamed to admit I laughed uproariously at
SPINNING DUH
(not sure if it was on the disc version)

zerojay

Neo Member
If the button config cannot be changed again this year, I'm going to have to pass on it. I bought the disc version and while the game was good, the button config was garbage and not being able to change it was terrible.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wait--you can't change button configuration? AGAIN? This was easily one of the biggest complaints about the console version. There's no excuse for leaving that out.

having super fun with this. some of the dunks are insane and when you catch fire they only get more ridiculous. and looking at all the stuff in the Jam Shop......jesus. that and challenges gonna have me playing for months if not a full year.

For those of you who have both PS3 and 360, which one did you decide to get this game for and why? I have both and I'm having a hard time deciding which system to get this for.

Top Bottom