• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Lowe suggested trading DeRozan for a PG rental and resigning Lowry and Ibaka.

That would be horrible. Personally they should let Lowry and Ibaka walk and just sign a cheaper PG in my opinion. Trade Valuciunas as well as much as I like the kid, they're developing him wrong and not using him enough there.

Bread

Banned
So he's got a CF team, with the ability to add 1-3 all star (or even HOF) caliber players but he'd rather draft? That makes sense to you?
What Ainge is doing makes sense to me, yes. I'd love to know how you think he could add 3 all star or HoF caliber players though.

I miss playoff rondo.

rondo.gif

Vahagn

What Ainge is doing makes sense to me, yes. I'd love to know how you think he could add 3 all star or HoF caliber players though.

They have about 72 million on books for this year.

1) Trade two 1sts and Brown for Porzingis.

2) Move Zeller + Smart to free up an additional 13 million. Add a couple 2nd rounders or a 1st to sweeten the deal.

3) So now you've got porzingis on a rookie contract, your starting core in tact, and almost 40 million to spend this summer to go after Hayward + 1 more guy.

He had an opportunity to get Butler. Before that he had an opportunity to add Porzingis. During the trade deadline last year he had the opportunity to add PG.

He has the assets in picks to move burdensome contracts. They've got about 72 million on the books this coming season. Could have had porzingis. Could get Hayward this summer. Could use picks to move contracts to free up space for third guy.

Trade two 1sts and Brown for Porzingis. Package a couple 2nd round picks and Zeller and Smart - free up an additional 12-13 million. So now you've got porzingis on a rookie contract, your starting core in tact. And almost 40 million to spend this summer to go after Hayward + 1 more guy.

Porzingis isn't worth two 1st and Brown.

That roster still probably doesn't beat the Warriors.

Vahagn

Porzingis isn't worth two 1st and Brown.

That roster still probably doesn't beat the Warriors.

He is when you're contending.

And? Your core would be good enough and young enough to March to the CF for 6 years.

Larry bird celtics were never more talented than Magic's Lakers. 84 they beat a more talented team. Even they admit that. Go all in on a young and dominant core and you'll get enough cracks at it to win 1 or 2.

Bread

Banned
They have about 72 million on books for this year.

1) Trade two 1sts and Brown for Porzingis.

2) Move Zeller + Smart to free up an additional 13 million. Add a couple 2nd rounders or a 1st to sweeten the deal.

3) So now you've got porzingis on a rookie contract, your starting core in tact, and almost 40 million to spend this summer to go after Hayward + 1 more guy.
1. Jackson wanted the #3, 18 BKN, Jaylen Brown, and Crowder. Your offer doesn't even get it done.
2. That's dumb, why would they give up Smart to dump salary? Zeller is about to be a FA.
3. I thought you were trying to get 3 all stars? Now it sounds like you want Porzingis, Hayward, and some cheap bench guy while giving up all future assets.

The situation isn't as simple as "Ainge doesn't want to trade for all-stars" like you keep saying. He has a number of quality trade pieces and he knows not to spend them all in one place.

Vahagn

1. Jackson wanted the #3, 18 BKN, Jaylen Brown, and Crowder. Your offer doesn't even get it done.
2. That's dumb, why would they give up Smart to dump salary? Zeller is about to be a FA.
3. I thought you were trying to get 3 all stars? Now it sounds like you want Porzingis, Hayward, and some cheap bench guy while giving up all future assets.

The situation isn't as simple as "Ainge doesn't want to trade for all-stars" like you keep saying. He has a number of quality trade pieces and he knows not to spend them all in one place.

1) porzingis and Hayward are all star caliber players and potential HOF caliber players.

2) I gave up two firsts and two seconds. That's hardly all future assets.

3) you give up Smart because with the addition of Hayward you can move Avery to the bench to take Smart's spot. Zeller makes 8 million and has one more year. He's useless.

4) cool. So stay not talented enough to win because even though you have the asset equivalent of Yankees money you don't want to spend any more than fair market value for guys who are the best/2nd best players on their respective teams.

You have FIVE first round draft picks in the next two drafts and I advocated giving up 1 of them. Lol, "all future assets being spent in one place"

Cornbread78

also doesn't have shit on the Warriors or Cavs, as fucked up as that is.

That team competes with the cavs, warriors would still wok them though.

Darkman gets it.

It puts them right there with a chance at least. Those inside out scoring options make a HUGE difference..

So my worries about Hayward leaving are based on Ainge actually pulling the trigger on a big move for once?

I like our chances.

Sorry dude, other way around here. The PG deal is contingent on the Celts getting Hayward or Blake.

Ehhh... Cavs are declining and could potentially be a few dudes that are checked out this season the way this summer has been going and the rumors going around.

That team beats Cavs. Paul George is like a lower tier KD but the type of player that works over the Cavs and with that supporting cast? They can beat the Cavs

That team with their depth (let's not forget the other players on the roster) would very likely beat the Cavs. They would probably lose to the Warriors, but they would compete. They would have the depth and the coaching to at least hang around.

George is already recruiting dudes to LA.

I think this is just a Danny Ainge pipe dream. I don't think he has any actual evidence that George would sign an extension.

George is already recruiting dudes to LA.

I think this is just a Danny Ainge pipe dream. I don't think he has any actual evidence that George would sign an extension.

Danny is very conservative with his assets, just look at the amount of hate he got in the last trade deadline and around the draft. You can bet that if he's even entertaining this, there's a very good chance he could resign George.

Danny is very conservative with his assets, just look at the amount of hate he got in the last trade deadline and around the draft. You can bet that if he's even entertaining this, there's a very good chance he could resign George.
It just seems very strange to me. I don't think anyone would deny that the Jazz have a pretty decent pitch for Hayward. One that the Celtics would need to beat. Now I have no idea how much collusion goes on with this stuff, I'm not nieve enough to beleive it's zero. But walking into that room with Ainge.
"AFTER you sign here I promise I'll go get Paul George and he'll sign an extension, even though he has expressed no interest to be anywhere but LA"

Now unless they all talked to eachother quite a bit, that seems very far fetched. But I suppose it's better than nothing while trying to get Hayward to stay.

And yes I fully admit that I am just a desperate
Jazz fan trying to debunk all non 'Hayward stays' rumors.

PG wants to be a Big Baller. How can Danny compete with that?
Hopefully he can't.

TTG

I mean, what's the opposite of a Big Baller?

Heat president Pat Riley did not take kindly to Ainge expressing his opinion, and he just issued the following statement through a Heat official:

Danny Ainge needs to shut the fuck up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him.

Cornbread78

I want to believe it as well, but I have some serious doubts he woukd even entertain staying. Because of Bron....

Yeah, big baller for sure, but fton a Lakers perspective, do you think they will be competitive against GS in 2018/19 with:

Ball
Wade
PG13
Bron
Lopez (assuming he takes a discount to stay "home"

I'm all for the PG trade and Hayward signing but the C's would be in historic tax territory if they keep everyone. I'm not convinced ownership would want to do that for a team that would still be the underdogs against the Warriors.

Tom Penny

PG gonna try to convince Klay to join him in LA next year.

Why? Klay is very good player but blends in. He isn't and will never be the man on a team. He doesn't have the play making or shot creating skills. How does any player playing big minutes on GS average 2 assists??? It embarrassing.

Servbot24

Banned
Why? Klay is very good player but blends in. He isn't and will never be the man on a team. He doesn't have the play making or shot creating skills. How does any player playing big minutes on GS average 2 assists??? It embarrassing.

You answered your own question. Klay is a great player who who would allow PG to still be the team leader and get more open looks. Also nothing embarrassing about having few assists when it's your job to catch and shoot.

Btw I would love to see a team of PG13, Klay and Westbrook someday. :)

I want to believe it as well, but I have some serious doubts he woukd even entertain staying. Because of Bron....

Yeah, big baller for sure, but fton a Lakers perspective, do you think they will be competitive against GS in 2018/19 with:

Ball
Wade
PG13
Bron

I don't think they traded for Lopez with any expectation of resigning him. He was purely filler. To create enough cap space for PG and another max FA the Lakers are going to pretty much have to unload everyone but Ingram and Ball, maybe 2bac and Nance, and stretch Deng, and even then they are cutting it close. They are not going to have the space to resign Lopez or sign Wade.

Servbot24

Banned

Ball
Wade
PG13
Bron

Hell no, that looks worse than the Cavs. Ball will still be a baby. Wade will be an old(er) man. Bron and PG13 are a pretty scary combo but they're not beating GSW's 4 stars. Lopez will probably be better than GSW's center but who really cares.

Tom Penny

You answered your own question. Klay is a great player who who would allow PG to still be the team leader and get more open looks. Also nothing embarrassing about having few assists when it's your job to catch and shoot.

Btw I would love to see a team of PG13, Klay and Westbrook someday. :)

PG isn't as good as Curry nor will attract the same defensive attention. My ultimate point is Klay as a number on a team wouldn't win shit. He can be eliminated because he's not a great ball hander, play maker or ISO player. Just him and PG don't do damage in the West either. Obviously if you add YNB a top 10 player..you're auto good.

Brandson

Lowe suggested trading DeRozan for a PG rental and resigning Lowry and Ibaka.

Only ways Derozan gets moved is if Masai is fired or he asks for a trade. The Raptors have a long history of having their stars bolt. He is the star that re-signed voluntarily. He will get whatever he wants in Toronto for as long as he wants.

Servbot24

Banned
PG isn't as good as Curry nor will attract the same defensive attention. My ultimate point is Klay as a number on a team wouldn't win shit. He can be eliminated because he's not a great ball hander, play maker or ISO player.

I mean he's already won two championships so I'm not sure where you're going with this

Only ways Derozan gets moved is if Masai is fired or he asks for a trade. The Raptors have a long history of having their stars bolt. He is the star that re-signed voluntarily. He will get whatever he wants in Toronto for as long as he wants.

Masai seems like a smart GM so I highly doubt he'd be this blindly loyal to a single player. Anybody is available if the right deal comes along.

Top Bottom