• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

jmizzal

Well you can see that, here's last year's highlight reel from Summer League

Ben Simmons will probably be on more Top 10 highlight reels, but Ball probably is a more "functional" passer due to all the skip ahead passes and such that aren't as exciting but probably lead to more assists.

Thanks for the link, I didnt even watch Summer League last year due to how crap that draft was. Simmons def looks better playing with NBA rules then he did in college, also who ever number 22 is on Phly was eating on all those Simmons highlight passes lol

TTG

Is that streaming?

I can only watch Lonzo embarrass himself for so long.

Dunno, I was flipping channels because lazy Saturday and it was on. Mobley's team sucks, but it was kind of cool. Abdul Rauf went 9-14 for 22, 19 for Mobley on 7-16.
Deshean Stevenson 3-11

jmizzal

Dunno, I was flipping channels because lazy Saturday and it was on. Mobley's team sucks, but it was kind of cool. Abdul Rauf went 9-14 for 22, 19 for Mobley on 7-16.
Deshean Stevenson 3-11

Deshean Stevenson haha I remember when he was beefing with LeBron

Slizeezyc

Thanks for the link, I didnt even watch Summer League last year due to how crap that draft was. Simmons def looks better playing with NBA rules then he did in college, also who ever number 22 is on Phly was eating on all those Simmons highlight passes lol

Looks like 22 is Richaun Holmes.

TTG

Deshean Stevenson haha I remember when he was beefing with LeBron

48 year old Abdul Rauf looked so much better than him, I don't think he missed a single open look from 2.

Now Russ is in the crowd and Billups is launching straight bricks from the 4 point spot(Curry range). He just air balled an open 3 by about 2 feet. Jax and Jermaine O'Neal are barreling into each other and taking charges like it's a real game, I don't get it.

shwimpy

Trade Randle, start Kuzma.

wait, Nets are playing their regular season rotational players and their head coach is coaching? LOL

Is Myles Turner going to be an All-Star next year?
It's possible but the exodus out of the East didn't impact the PF/C position that much

Horford, Porzingis, Embiid, Love, Whiteside, Vucevic, Drummond, Howard, Ibaka

I could see him on that short list especially if guys like Embiid are sidelined.

EDIT: Have they said how the new trade deadline will work if say Marc Gasol is traded to the East, will he take someone else's spot in the East or will he still play for the West

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I'm really glad Magic and Rob kept most if not all of the scouting department intact when they took over. These guys have been killing it.
They had to. It's been the only consistently good thing about this franchise for 4 years.

Summer league or no, Kuzma is agile as fuck and has a damn sweet stroke. His BBIQ is also very high. I seldom see this dude make big mistakes on either end and he gets to his spots right on time. I really hope he gets PT this season to see if he's real, but I don't see how his game won't translate well playing with guys like Ball and Ingram who will find him in his spots.

Slizeezyc

If you think the Randle pick was bad you don't know jack about the NBA.

When you got a chance to pay a short-armed, can't stretch the floor big who doesn't play much defense, you gotta do it. Pacers obviously wanted him and Clarkson because they wanted that honor.

I do actually really enjoy how much Lakers fans stan for Randle, it's endearing. The Farieds of the world are still rotation players in a sense, but they're replaceable. And Randle could still end up useful if he figures out either a 3-point shot or a way to grow non-Olynyk arms so he can survive as a small-ball center at times. Otherwise, his future as a 3rd or 4th big is sort of just default what he'll need to be (and that's okay! -- just probably not the best outcome for a top-10 pick in most normal drafts).

PS, since I don't know anything about the NBA, I'm willing to be sold why Randle is a starter.

When you got a chance to pay a short-armed, can't stretch the floor big who doesn't play much defense, you gotta do it. Pacers obviously wanted him and Clarkson because they wanted that honor.

I do actually really enjoy how much Lakers fans stan for Randle, it's endearing. The Farieds of the world are still rotation players in a sense, but they're replaceable. And Randle could still end up useful if he figures out either a 3-point shot or a way to grow non-Olynyk arms so he can survive as a small-ball center at times. Otherwise, his future as a 3rd or 4th big is sort of just default what he'll need to be.

What does that have to do with anything? Look at the draft he was in, and where he was taken. How in gods name is that a bad pick or some kind of indictment of the Lakers scouting dept? You're trying too hard.

Slizeezyc

What does that have to do with anything? Look at the draft he was in, and where he was taken. How in gods name is that a bad pick or some kind of indictment of the Lakers scouting dept? You're trying too hard.

There's nothing wrong with taking him, I just don't see why it's a hit for them when he's still whatever. I mean I'd rather have Saric (but it's close), LaVine (close-ish), Harris, Hood, Capela, Nurkic.

Their skill has more been in finding later picks (not named Ryan Kelly -- and missing on getting Jokic in the Randle draft with their second-round pick(s) -- is the point I'm getting at here. If you're not trying to say Randle is really good, then okay.

Sandfox

Randle actually has a fairly average wingspan with the short arm concern mostly being a thing before the combine that year. He showed some really good improvement last season and I expect it to continue based on what I've seen. Very few big men can do the things he does, so I like him personally.

Slizeezyc

Randle actually has a fairly average wingspan with the short arm concern mostly being a thing before the combine that year. He showed some really good improvement last season and I expect it to continue based on what I've seen. Very few big men can do the things he does, so I like him personally.

I agree he did improve (figured out how to finish around the rim a bit more and continued to be solid on the defensive glass). I assume Ball will give him another tick up in efficiency, but his usage still far outweighs his usefulness.

What are the things he does that not many other bigs can do? If you're going to say grab and go, then okay, but his assists also come with a turnover number that probably comes close to outweighing the positives of it. His switching is also overrated due to how little he impacts shots around the rim or causes turnovers overall. He's lacking that Millsap element on defense, and doesn't have range on the other end to stretch defenses or kill mismatches.

Slizeezyc

Yeah no way Melo is waiving his ntc to Portland, seems like he only wants to play with his buddies cp3 and lebron.

It would be great if he did though -.-

Yo imagine that Melo-Lillard-CJ defensive trio, holy balls. Dat scoring though would be hot.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...nting-new-york-knicks-trading-houston-rockets

Woj said:
As New York Knicks president Steve Mills and general manager Scott Perry pursue a meeting with Carmelo Anthony in the coming days, league sources told ESPN the 10-time All-Star is counting on the franchise to carry out its previously agreed upon mandate to trade him to the Houston Rockets.

Whatever stance a post-Phil Jackson front office is taking now, Anthony expects the Knicks to resume trade talks soon and honor the franchise's long-standing goal to rebuild without Anthony, league sources said.

Anthony, 33, has been willing to waive his no-trade clause for Houston and Cleveland, but in recent weeks, he has begun to prioritize a trade to the Rockets to join Chris Paul and James Harden over the Cavaliers and LeBron James, league sources said.

With Perry's hiring from Sacramento and the promotion of Steve Mills to president, the Knicks have paused those trade discussions, in part because New York has been unhappy with the recent proposed returns on an Anthony deal, league sources said.

As Perry starts to shape the front office and impact policy, another realization has washed over the organization -- that the months of organizational harping on Anthony, driven largely by deposed president of basketball operations Jackson, has dramatically devalued Anthony's trade value. Mills and Perry are evaluating whether it's worth allowing time for Anthony's standing around the NBA to be rebuilt, as opposed to trading him at an all-time low, league sources said.

The Knicks realize the odds are long of convincing Anthony to simply forget trade talks and accept a return to New York, especially given how aggressively Jackson pushed to run Anthony out of town. While Jackson was primarily responsible for going to great lengths to publicly shame and discredit Anthony, Jackson wasn't the only one within the franchise to play a part in the campaign.

Because Anthony didn't easily accept waiving his no-trade clause, no one should expect that he will easily shift his mindset back about staying with the Knicks beyond the summer.

Perry has history with Anthony and strong relationships with some in Melo's inner circle, and it makes sense for Perry to spend time this week surveying the depths of the damage and distrust left in Jackson's wake. It is undoubtedly deep, perhaps irreparable, but Anthony has two years and $54 million left on his contract, and there isn't much he can do if the Knicks decide to bring him back for the start of the season. And of course, just deciding that you're willing to trade Anthony doesn't make it easy to do.

One of the teams that New York and Houston had hoped would facilitate a multiteam trade for Anthony -- the Portland Trail Blazers -- plans to participate in a deal for Anthony only if he decides to expand his no-trade clause to include the Trail Blazers, league sources told ESPN.

Portland believes the addition of a player such as Anthony would furnish it with talent and depth comparable to those of the top Western Conference contenders, except for the Golden State Warriors, league sources said. Because of that, the Blazers have little, if any, inclination to facilitate an Anthony deal that would land him with a Western Conference rival such as Houston, league sources said.

Houston is determined to complete a deal for Anthony and believes he is focused only on playing with the Rockets next season, league sources said. For now, trade talks have stalled, and the Knicks are re-evaluating everything again.

1. My balls are so fucking blue
2. No shit Knicks, you fucked up his trade value, duh
3. Melo is keeping it real and saving the Rockets right now
4. Blazers will only participate in the trade for Melo to Houston, if Melo goes to Portland?
5. Fuck the Blazers
6. Ok, no duh the Blazers don't have a necessarily good reason to make Houston better, just say that ffs. They're not getting Melo lol

I guess as the trade was structured Portland was supplying all the assets, so they either want Houston to do more for Portland or even for NYC (to show that Portland couldn't get Melo as it stood)

v66vlk4flw9z.png

Kooz is wild.

plus

In order for Houston to get Melo they'd need to unload Ryan Anderson's god awful contract for like 3 years and 61 mil, and nobody wants to take that. It makes sense that Portland would want no part of that contract as well as the Knicks, I just didn't expect Portland to straight up say that they want Melo now lol

Fjordson

I don't really get the desire for Melo. Ain't what he used to be and doesn't help anyone beat the Warriors. Seems like a waste to try and get him.

One exception is if it's part of some deeper conspiracy to get Lebron to join his buddies in Houston next summer. Otherwise, pass.

FZZ

Banned
Someone explain to me why Lonzo is getting LeBron minutes in summer league

Our minute management for him has been horrible, dude gets gassed halfway through the third

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Jayson Tatum has patellar tendonitis? What the fuck is this shit. Is it really just tendonitis or does he also have chondromalacia? That's a huge red flag imo.

spyder_ur

Someone explain to me why Lonzo is getting LeBron minutes in summer league

Our minute management for him has been horrible, dude gets gassed halfway through the third

I mean these are the most important games the Lakers will play in 10 years with Magic at the helm. Might as well make it count.

In order for Houston to get Melo they'd need to unload Ryan Anderson's god awful contract for like 3 years and 61 mil, and nobody wants to take that. It makes sense that Portland would want no part of that contract as well as the Knicks, I just didn't expect Portland to straight up say that they want Melo now lol

See I read the speculation was that no one could find a 4th team to take Meyers Leonard's 3 yr 30 mil contract. NYK wants Harkless' similar deal and Portland wants to consolidate those two bad contracts into Ryan Anderson so if you're going to commit 60 mil over three years at least it's a starting PF and not two bench players.

Top Bottom