• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Chase17

Hayward should stay. Utah is building an awesome team.

Celtics have a ton of assets but the actual players are pretty meh and none match up to Gobert. He's have to be confident that Ainge is actually going to turn these draft picks into a championship level team at some point.

C'mon Boston fans you have nothing but sports legends in your history. And you just drafted a young SF with the #3 pick. Just let us keep him. We promise to elect Ainge's son to congress as a consolation.
He should stay in Utah. Need to keep all the talent in the west so Smart can one day lead the C's to the finals single handily.

Sanjuro

He also hasn't brought them any further to anything as of yet. If his goal is to sign Hayward, what is he going to do with Jae, Brown, Tatum and Hayward all at the same position?

None of the moves also address this team largest weakness which is a low post rebounding and defensive presence. Who need rim protection when you can sent 4 forward out on the court at the same time, right?

I'm not sure where he would get that though.

Cornbread78

IT AL and Butler best GS lmao. Won't even breat Cleveland

Yeah, I'm not sure signing Hayward will change anything either. They still need a big next to Horford that does more than take up space...

Gotta trust the new process Tom.

Nah, this "process" of collecting assets, more assets, more assets, draft middling player, draft middling player, draft and stash, draft middling player, collect more assets, is just a bogus approach to the whole thing.

I'm not sure where he would get that though.

Yeah, that is a problem... I keep looking at this list of decent FAs and I'm not sure who they can afford to pick up when they sign Hayward:

6eR10wk.png

LOL, are you saying he gets the same media coverage and market visibility in Utah as he would playing for a major market team or "popular" team?

C'mon man, we talking businasss...

giphy.gif

Giannis in Milwaukee
Russ in OKC
Towns in Minnesota
Davis in NO
George in Indiana
Booker in Phoenix
etc.

You don't need a big market to be recognized this day and age. The reason Hayward isn't talked about a ton is because his game isn't as exciting as some others. But people definitely know who he is and that he is a great player.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Celtics fans are just mad that it is very likely Ainge didn't want to trade away a future pick for Yimmy because deep down he is a gambler at heart

huh? I don't think anybodies upset we didn't get jimmy. We're upset he passed on fultz for fucking tatum. I would've been ok with it if we traded further down and grabbed isaac and someone else... but tatum? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cornbread78

huh? I don't think anybodies upset we didn't get jimmy. We're upset he passed on fultz for fucking tatum. I would've been ok with it if we traded further down and grabbed isaac and someone else... but tatum? Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

C'mon, who doesn't need 4-5 SFs on a team?

Giannis in Milwaukee
Russ in OKC
Towns in Minnesota
Davis in NO
George in Indiana
Booker in Phoenix
etc.

You don't need a big market to be recognized this day and age. The reason Hayward isn't talked about a ton is because his game isn't as exciting as some others. But people definitely know who he is and that he is a great player.

Whoa, I wouldn't call him a "great" player at all. He can shoot, score and play decent defense, but he is not a transcendent player, imo. I'd definitely take him on my team

Russ, George, Davis and more recently Towns are now superstars, so they will get coverage regardless, but Booker? You barely hear about him and he is still young and needs to build clout.

spyder_ur

He also hasn't brought them any further to anything as of yet. If his goal is to sign Hayward, what is he going to do with Jae, Brown, Tatum and Hayward all at the same position?

None of the moves also address this team largest weakness which is a low post rebounding and defensive presence. Who need rim protection when you can sent 4 forward out on the court at the same time, right?

I mean this is simply not true. He brought them from 25 to 53 wins in 3 years while retaining one of the best franchise outlooks and most flexibility in the NBA. That's basically unheard of.

I realize that it can be frustrating to feel like you missed out on a player or move, but I think it's important to remember during all of this that the Celtics are, well, good.

I agree that rim protection is an issue (less worried about rebounding) but I couldn't be less concerned about having too many forwards/wings.

I think overall, we're seeing NBA teams behave way more cautiously (and honestly hopelessly) because of the GS/Cleveland dynamic.

Tom Penny

Gotta trust the new process Tom.
It is what it is. I would have given up the Philly deal and players for Porzingas. Not sure id throw in Brown. I would not trade the 3rd pick Crowder and Brown for Butler just to move the needle to winning 2 games in the ECF max.

effzee

I'm not sure what the Pavers asking price is but they have to be realistic about the return on any trade. They have zero leverage, he's announced he is a 1 year rental, and no team is going to mortgage their future for PG.

Cavs might be the only team willing to take a 1 yr rental but if they have plans to beat the Warriors, they need to add to LeBron, Kyrie, and Love not to move Love.

FZZ

Banned
Theoretically Twolves on paper are the perfect counter to GSW

This team is going to be so fun to watch

Imagine if they can trade Rubio for a PG that can score as well

TTG

I don't mind Butler going to Min in theory because they're supposed to be good at some point, but him and PG not moving to a contender and CP3 to SA being a pipe dream means another year of whining about how it's a forgone conclusion and unfair.

It's going to be a regular season worthwhile for nerds mostly, watching teams like Philly, Timberwolves, and NO coming along.

Cornbread78

I mean this is simply not true. He brought them from 25 to 53 wins in 3 years while retaining one of the best franchise outlooks and most flexibility in the NBA. That's basically unheard of.

I realize that it can be frustrating to feel like you missed out on a player or move, but I think it's important to remember during all of this that the Celtics are, well, good.

I agree that rim protection is an issue (less worried about rebounding) but I couldn't be less concerned about having too many forwards/wings.

I think overall, we're seeing NBA teams behave way more cautiously (and honestly hopelessly) because of the GS/Cleveland dynamic.

hyperbole on my part, yup. However, it's because of your last sentence. We know nobody is going to beat GS for the next 3-4 years (until their contract situation becomes unmanageable) However, I honestly think we an at least battle for the East with LeBron and co. I know, Lebron is going West after this season anyhow... Still, while we have a gazillion assets from Danny fleecing Brooklyn, we need to get some star power on the roster and he has not accomplished that outside of some dumb luck with IT. Danny has even said as much that he needs to bring some big pieces in, but all we ever get are his post event interviews saying "he was close" to making a major deal for a star, but fell short..

With that being said, nobody can deny that they are in a pretty good spot, but they are stuck in the "pretty good" spot without getting some real impact injected onto their roster somehow.

That's the modern NBA for ya..

means another year of whining about how it's a forgone conclusion and unfair.
It's going to be a regular season worthwhile for nerds mostly, watching teams like Philly, Timberwolves, and NO coming along.

tbf, we already know it is going to be GS and CLE in the finals again after the season barring any major injuries.

Atleast it should be interesting in 2018-19 to see what kind of superteam LeBron can construct in LA.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm not sure what the Pavers asking price is but they have to be realistic about the return on any trade. They have zero leverage, he's announced he is a 1 year rental, and no team is going to mortgage their future for PG.

Cavs might be the only team willing to take a 1 yr rental but if they have plans to beat the Warriors, they need to add to LeBron, Kyrie, and Love not to move Love.

I really don't understand what Pacers are doing. They should take Love and run. I'm not a huge fan of his, but if they can get an all-star out of this they should do it.

effzee

I really don't understand what Pacers are doing. They should take Love and run. I'm not a huge fan of his, but if they can get an all-star out of this they should do it.

Especially if the Cavs are going to disassembled in a year. Take Love, get another lottery pick by way of tanking, and set up for post LeBron led East.

TTG

tbf, we already know it is going to be GS and CLE in the finals again after the season barring any major injuries.

Cleveland could have been much better. The players were out there, at least one went for not very much at all. Instead of going for it they decided to fire their GM right before the draft.

Spurs could probably ship them LMA, Green and maybe a draft pick. :/

That's way too much. LMA did eventually win the Rockets series for them, Green is also valuable if you want to contend with GSW. All of that for a rental of a dude that doesn't fit anyway. Is he gonna play the 4 over there?

Cornbread78

I forgot to touch on this, but I wonder if anyone will offer Noel a contract this off season and how much that contract will be for? Nobody will max him, right?

Could the Celts pay Hayward is 24 and still pony up 12 for Noel after they get rid of Amir, Zeller and Swed Larry?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I forgot to touch on this, but I wonder if anyone will offer Noel a contract this off season and how much that contract will be for?

Could the Celts pay Hayward is 24 and still pony up 12 for Noel after they get rid of Amir, Zeller and Swed Larry?

I'd love noel.

also would like to say, danny could've fucked this up even worse had the pacers trade gone through.

That's way too much. LMA did eventually win the Rockets series for them, Green is also valuable if you want to contend with GSW. All of that for a rental of a dude that doesn't fit anyway. Is he gonna play the 4 over there?
I'll admit that for all of his inconsistency, id rather keep Green, but I want LMA traded.

spyder_ur

hyperbole on my part, yup. However, it's because of your last sentence. We know nobody is going to beat GS for the next 3-4 years (until their contract situation becomes unmanageable) However, I honestly think we an at least battle for the East with LeBron and co. I know, Lebron is going West after this season anyhow... Still, while we have a gazillion assets from Danny fleecing Brooklyn, we need to get some star power on the roster and he has not accomplished that outside of some dumb luck with IT. Danny has even said as much that he needs to bring some big pieces in, but all we ever get are his post event interviews saying "he was close" to making a major deal for a star, but fell short..

With that being said, nobody can deny that they are in a pretty good spot, but they are stuck in the "pretty good" spot without getting some real impact injected onto their roster somehow.

That's the modern NBA for ya..

Atleast it should be interesting in 2018-19 to see what kind of superteam LeBron can construct in LA.

I'm not buying the Superteam LA stuff. I just don't see LeBron wanting to gamble his twilight years figuring out how to build a team with new pieces and nothing else of note except 20 year olds Lonzo and Ingram. I think the Lakers had a good draft, but that really doesn't factor into his decision next year. Who knows, though.

I also am frustrated at all the supposed 'close calls', but other than Porzingis I haven't seen any names that I think are worth emptying the cupboard for. I am not really a Butler guy and don't think he moves the needle.

I think the Celts and league are very high on Zizic and Yabu. Pelton and Ford recently reranked the 2016 draft and the Celts had 3 of the top 10.

Until they actually plateau and show a lack of growth, I'm not going to complain about them doing exactly that.

I forgot to touch on this, but I wonder if anyone will offer Noel a contract this off season and how much that contract will be for? Nobody will max him, right?

Because of the smaller cap than originally estimated, they have to make a few smaller moves to get a max slot, much less get him and Noel. I don't really have a handle on the FA market this year but I doubt 12M gets you Noel.

TTG

Lebron should start talking to San Antonio now to pave the way for when that day comes. Both times he's left teams it's been because of poor management and here it is again. Sucks to part ways with Kyrie, but what can you do?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm not buying the Superteam LA stuff. I just don't see LeBron wanting to gamble his twilight years figuring out how to build a team with new pieces and nothing else of note except 20 year olds Lonzo and Ingram. I think the Lakers had a good draft, but that really doesn't factor into his decision next year. Who knows, though.

I also am frustrated at all the supposed 'close calls', but other than Porzingis I haven't seen any names that I think are worth emptying the cupboard for. I am not really a Butler guy and don't think he moves the needle.

I think the Celts and league are very high on Zizic and Yabu. Pelton and Ford recently reranked the 2016 draft and the Celts had 3 of the top 10.

Until they actually plateau and show a lack of growth, I'm not going to complain about them doing exactly that.

Because of the smaller cap than originally estimated, they have to make a few smaller moves to get a max slot, much less get him and Noel. I don't really have a handle on the FA market this year but I doubt 12M gets you Noel.

meh I'll believe that zizic/yabu stuff when I see it. Most of the team "super prospects" are just smoke up the ass. Look at the james young hype train in year 2 and even 3.

Marz

Lebron should just stay in Cleveland. He's already a legend and people will never put him up there with Jordan. He should stick around for Kyries prime and see what they can accomplish together.

Duxxy3

meh I'll believe that zizic/yabu stuff when I see it. Most of the team "super prospects" are just smoke up the ass. Look at the james young hype train in year 2 and even 3.

I don't think we'll need to wait long for Zizic. I think that Yabusele is another year off.

Tom Penny

Caught in one of Tatum's interviews that he said coach K called him before the trade even went down and told him that he's going to love playing for Brad Stevens 🤔

Duxxy3

I still think that if Tatum ends up being great, Boston could challenge Cleveland this next seasin already.

I think Tatum will be more productive than Brown was last year, but I don't think he makes us a better challenger to the Cavs. Not yet anyhow. Expecting more out of him in his second year.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't think we'll need to wait long for Zizic. I think that Yabusele is another year off.

yeah I agree. My point is that I don't necessarily believe it. Regardless we'll get a nice look in summer league at quite a few pieces- tatum, zizic, yabu, and brown

Caught in one of Tatum's interviews that he said coach K called him before the trade even went down and told him that he's going to love playing for Brad Stevens 🤔

well apparently coach k was calling him to say he's happy for him that he has a chance to be drafted by boston. Probably just saying he would be psyched if he could play for him if we take him.

I think Tatum will be more productive than Brown was last year, but I don't think he makes us a better challenger to the Cavs. Not yet anyhow. Expecting more out of him in his second year.

Tatum is kinda like jabari without the ss potential to me. he'll come in at 10-15 ppg probably. Brown has a much higher ceiling imo.

jmizzal

Somebody on yahoo sports comments in the draft winners and losers article were complaining about how todays players stink, and is all pretty boys and only care about money. Talking about how players in the 80s and 90s will destroy them, saying how they dont watch basketball anymore.

This reply was hilarious

"Jeff 57 minutes ago
I miss the 1890's. That James Naismith guy was no pansy like today's players. He used to play b-ball with a suit and tie on and they had to climb a ladder every time someone scored to get the ball out of the peach basket..."

hahaha

Cornbread78

I still think that if Tatum ends up being great, Boston could challenge Cleveland this next seasin already.

Yeah, Boston has two big weaknesses right now: Scoring and rebounding/rim protection

Adding Hayward will address the scoring part, but it will also create a log-jam at the 3 with Jae, Brown and Tatum all vying for minutes.

They can try to play more small ball with Horford at the 5 and use Tatum/Brown as stretch 4s. Brown can keep growing defensively and keep up with most guys, but I'm not sure if Tatum can.

In addition to that, by playing more small ball, they are perpetuating their rebounding problem by still not having a true rebounder on the team. Amir/Oly were glaring weaknesses on the glass in the post season and this have to be addressed. Danny is probably think Zizac is the answer to this, but I still have some serious reservations as to his growth and being NBA ready...

jmizzal

Theoretically Twolves on paper are the perfect counter to GSW

This team is going to be so fun to watch

Imagine if they can trade Rubio for a PG that can score as well

Why would the Wolves need another scorer, Kat, Butler and Wiggins can give them 20 a game. Rubio is perfect for that team, he can just be a passer and he plays good defense.

Bill Simmons criticizing the Kings for trading down from 10 because "this isn't football don't overthink it" after he spent the last week defending the Celtics trading down because "it's what Bill Belichek would do"

They can try to play more small ball with Horford at the 5 and use Tatum/Brown as stretch 4s. Brown can keep growing defensively and keep up with most guys, but I'm not sure if Tatum can.

I think one of the reasons they drafted Tatum over Jackson is that he has somewhat of a chance of playing stretch 4 in the NBA, while Jackson with his short arms don't have the same possibility. And if they get Hayward somehow, I can't see how Crowder isn't traded.

Cornbread78

I think one of the reasons they drafted Tatum over Jackson is that he has somewhat of a chance of playing stretch 4 in the NBA, while Jackson with his short arms don't have the same possibility. And if they get Hayward somehow, I can't see how Crowder isn't traded.

He is the player EVERYONE wants from their roster because of that contract, lol.

He also led the Celts in 3 pt% last season if you can believe it, lol.

Top Bottom