• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA men's basketball 2011-2012 OT: Lockout edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proelite

The big news heading into this season is the number of players that decided to forgo the draft and return to school. Players such Harrison Barnes, Terrence Jones, Jared Sullinger, John Henson, Tyler Zeller, Perry Jones, Doron Lamb, all of whom probably gave up a chance to play professionally this year in Europe.

In other words, the lockout should continue forever.

Before we talk about the upcoming season, I would like to congratulate Uconn on their 2011 season, in which they defeated the two time defending national-runner up Butler in an intense, visceral, and gritty match that captured the hearts of the whole nation.

76859454-uconn-ncaa.jpg

Now for 2011-2012

Your pre-season national champion:

unc_cover.jpg

This stacked team is lead by the Black Falcon, aka the best freshman of all time last year. So by virtual of extrapolation he should be the best sophomore of all time according to SI. He has put on about 15 lbs over the summer, and has worked on getting into the lane. He is basically unstoppable. Henson has supposedly cured his anorexia and is now capable of walking against a strong gale. He should be better at block shots and protecting the post. Kendall Marshall should have a better shot to go along with his god like playmaking ability. Tyler and Strickland are known goods, and shouldn't surprise anyone.

Your pre-season national runner-ups:
adrummond04.jpg

This fucker here trolled all of college basketball by committing to the defending national champions several month ago. He trolled me by forcing me to make an entry for Uconn. He was originally supposed to be in the class of 2012, where he is ranked the number one troll on ESPN, but decided to play for Uconn for the season of 2011-2012. Uconn had to basically kick a player off a scholarship to make room for this guy. He is 6'10" and plays like a guard, as you would expect from a troll who can play basketball.
Uconn also bring back Lamb, Oriakhi, Napier, Roscoe Smith, and adds D. Daniels. All their players have mutant wingspan and length.

cc_calipari.jpg

This year will be the second time Calipari brings the number one recruiting class to Kentucky, out of the three years that he has being there. If Drummond is the troll player then Calipari is the troll coach. He gets every other coach mad by not getting caught yet for violations.
In addition to their number one class, they get back Terrence Jones, Darius Miller, and Doron Lamb.

Sully_Buford-407x320.jpg

America's favorite team for the season, because the nation can't stand the previous three teams. Sully has slimmed down to about 260, and is ready to step out for perimeter shots. Craft, Bufford, and Thomas are three important players that brings much needed experience to the Buckeyes. They'll be playing fast and small for much of the season.

Pre-season AP Coaches Poll

1 North Carolina (30)
2 Kentucky (1)
3 Ohio State
4 Connecticut
5 Syracuse
6 Duke
7 Vanderbilt
8 Louisville
9 Memphis
10 Florida
11 Pittsburgh
12 Baylor
13 Kansas
14 Wisconsin
15 Xavier
16 Arizona
17 Alabama
18 Michigan
19 Texas A&M
20 UCLA
21 Marquette
22 Cincinnati
23 Gonzaga
24 California
25 Missouri

EDIT:
I was reminded later that the Big East is officially turning into the Big Least.

My Alma mater should be competitive in Conference USA this year.

I had hoped the departure of WVU would save the conference because of the probable loss of BCS auto-qualifier. But, it looks like we'll be the disappointed hanger-ons who stayed behind while others moved on.

Amory

Disturbing to hear the news that UConn might be banned from the NCAA tournament next year for poor academics under the new rules. By then none of the poor academic performers will even be on the roster. Punishing current players for the sins of their predecessors is bullshit.

That said, go uconn. We're going to be unstoppable this year.

Proelite

Amory Blaine said:
Disturbing to hear the news that UConn might be banned from the NCAA tournament next year for poor academics under the new rules. By then none of the poor academic performers will even be on the roster. Punishing current players for the sins of their predecessors is bullshit.

You guys are supposed to be the immovable object while unc is the unstoppable force.

It's a good year for duke fans when the best three teams are unc, uk, and uconn. :p

DominoKid

so excited.

so stressed.

please win us a title and sweep duke, based black falcon.

last year was fun. this year will only be fun if we win it all. expectations are a motherfucker.

Proelite

DominoKid said:
so excited.

so stressed.

last year was fun. this year will only be fun if we win it all. expectations are a motherfucker.

If the basketball gods made you this offer, you guys win the title this year, but Duke the next one, would you take it?

Quake1028

DominoKid said:
so excited.

so stressed.

UNC/Lakers fan?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan's season is going to hinge on freshman Trey Burke's ability to play fairly big minutes at the point and play well. We were in a similar position 2 years ago with a freshman Darius Morris and things did not work out.

The difference is I think Trey is far more polished coming out of high school. He seems to have all of DMo's PG skills but is a far better shooter. While Darius did a great job of taking care of the ball for a Freshman PG he was absolutely no threat to score. I don't think that is going to be a problem with Trey.

This team also has better leadership, more size, and more depth than that team did.

I still want to slap Morris for leaving though. I think we could have been a top 10 team.

In other news. 5* big man recruit Mitch McGary will be making his decision next week. Sounds like it is coming down to Michigan, Duke, and Florida.

Amory

Also: hey ACC, please give us a spot in your league. we may suck at football but we are still very fun and nice people and our basketball is awesome

DominoKid

Gloomfire said:
UNC/Lakers fan?

i could never love the joke franchises we've had in Charlotte like i do Kobe. he's been my favorite bball player since elementary school. that love has basically developed into Laker fandom.

Proelite said:
If the basketball gods made you this offer, you guys win the title this year, but Duke the next one, would you take it?

complicated question really

depends on if we'd suck as bad as we did in 09/10
plus it'd put more distance between K and Dean/Roy

so on the whole i probably wouldnt take it.

Proelite

Amory Blaine said:
Also: hey ACC, please give us a spot in your league. we may suck at football but we are still very fun and nice people and our basketball is awesome
Sorry one of the requirements of our league is that players need to be taught how to read.

Amory

Proelite said:
Sorry one of the requirements of our league is that players need to be taught how to read.

hey, kemba can read! he just chooses not to!

sad part is he was actually one of the only positive influences on our APR because he graduated in 3 years (in sociology, but still).

Spacebar

sazabirules said:
I look forward to our games this year. (ODU) Our squad is much weaker and I don't see us winning a third CAA tournament.

Yea, I agree with you. Last year was really exciting though.

Spacebar

sazabirules said:
Isn't your squad also not as strong this year?

Yea we lost JRod, Skeen, and Rozzell. I haven't done any research on the guys we got coming in this year. We still have Burgess who was coming along last year and should be a lot better. ODC/VCU match ups have been fun to watch the past few years. This year should be no exception.

bluemax

Banned
Amory Blaine said:

You must be new to the wonderful world of college sports!

Oh... so this is where GAF's Syracuse fans show up.

Assholes don't even bother reading my monthly rants against you guys in the only sport that matters (college football). :(

Amory

Of course everyone's gonna be paying attention to Drummond, but I'm even more excited to see what Ryan Boatright can do. Kid is quick as hell. I haven't seen Calhoun this excited over a freshman in quite some time, he'll get some significant playing time backing up Napier this year.

Florida fan here. Team looked good last year, not amazing. A definitive improvement over the previous years though, so I'm hoping they continue that trend.

Looking forward to going to quite a few games this year, in any case.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Iowa State has huge hype this year, we picked up some great players. Haven't felt hype like this for us since the Tinsley/Fizer year...

Also, I am really excited for the horns to shoot to the top of the rankings in January, only to lose 75% of its remaining games, lose in the first weekend of the tournament, and finally have the talented guys bolt for the NBA!

Hook 'em!

thefro

6711320.jpeg

Cody sez this little run of Indiana sucking in basketball is over.

#1 class in the country coming to back him up in 2012.

Brian Fellows said:
Michigan's season is going to hinge on freshman Trey Burke's ability to play fairly big minutes at the point and play well. We were in a similar position 2 years ago with a freshman Darius Morris and things did not work out.

The difference is I think Trey is far more polished coming out of high school. He seems to have all of DMo's PG skills but is a far better shooter. While Darius did a great job of taking care of the ball for a Freshman PG he was absolutely no threat to score. I don't think that is going to be a problem with Trey.

This team also has better leadership, more size, and more depth than that team did.

I still want to slap Morris for leaving though. I think we could have been a top 10 team.

In other news. 5* big man recruit Mitch McGary will be making his decision next week. Sounds like it is coming down to Michigan, Duke, and Florida.

Potential to be the biggest recruit since Webber.

Another key this season is whether THJ can step up into the main scorer role for this team. We need a guy who can score when the perimeter shots aren't falling and last year it was Morris would could get easy baskets in the lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom