• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA men's basketball 2011-2012 OT: Lockout edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
zmoney said:
What is Rupp's?

Oh you.

It's hard to say anything for sure in the preseason. This is a good group Cal's got. I can't help but think after he's won a championship (or maybe before that) he is going to bounce to coach the NBA.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
vas_a_morir said:
Oh you.

It's hard to say anything for sure in the preseason. This is a good group Cal's got. I can't help but think after he's won a championship (or maybe before that) he is going to bounce to coach the NBA.
Is this a championship you're hoping to hold onto, or one you won't mind giving back to the NCAA?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
vas_a_morir said:
lol, let's be real. Taking away a championship doesn't really take it away.
It does in the eyes of messageboard debaters the world over!
How do you view them in football? :p
It's weird that 2004 never happened. Why do you ask?

forrest

formerly nacire
Nice to see the Cats fans on Gaf. Born and raised Bluegrass cats fan here! Hoping they have a good season!

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Proud of my cousin making the slam cover, but damn do they have them looking goofy as hell... My school actually plays UNC this yea at Chapel Hill and we will be making a road trip for K. Rice's first game coaching at his alma Mater... should be great

Pollux

nacire said:
Nice to see the Cats fans on Gaf. Born and raised Bluegrass cats fan here! Hoping they have a good season!
There are a bunch of us on GAF.

Also to the post above me...born in Florence and now live in Boston but I still bleed blue. It's something you're born with I think.

like a birth defect?

just joking man, going out of my way to be nice to the UK fans this year, I think by the end of the season Cal will be busted and all will finally be right in the world of college athletics (lol)

Really hyped to see what my Cards can do this year, Chane is ridiculous, Siva will be awesome as always, worried about center but we havent had a good center in years so its almost expected. Disappointed that Blackshear is out for the season, and Ware won't be eligible until Jan but overall I think we will be a very solid team

Nesotenso

Have a feeling KU is bit too high at 13 this year and we didn't reload strongly enough to overcome the loss of the twins. It will be struggle to even win the big 12 championship.

But glad basketball season. It will be great to see a team that at least competes and has a competent coach at the helm. Fucking Gill. What a terrible hire.

Proelite

Tony Parker and Mitch McGary, remaining top bigs in 2012, are going to make their decisions soon. Mitch is going to Michigan, and Tony is not going to Duke.

Unless Texas recruited a reincarnation of the fab 5, we'll suck this year. 4 out of 5 starters will probably be freshman. we literally lost everyone last year

Pollux

Bowser said:
lol I'm sure it's UK right?
Talent wise...yes.

Y'all can't shoot the ball.

UNC has everyone coming back from a team that lost to Kentucky in the Elite 8. They also bring in McAdoo and Hairston.

We lose Knight, Harrellson, Liggins, and Hood and replace with our freshmen class. Everyone one of our freshmen coming in can be consider an upgrade in talent from the player we lost except for Teague's outside shooting replacing Knight's.

Knight > Teague
Davis >>> Jorts
Kidd-Gilchrist > Liggins

Overall this is a net gain for Kentucky (incoming talent vs outgoing). Knight's shooting is about the only thing that is not obviously replaced, although Wiltjer may have something to say about that. UNC fans will pull the experience card but they fail to realize some things:

1) Under Cal where freshmen play huge minutes (30+), our freshmen are basically sophomores by the time March comes around. Unlike at most other schools where the majority of freshmen get less than 20 minutes a game if they are lucky. How did our freshmen look late last season or the season before? Pretty damn poised if you ask me - and nothing like freshmen.
2) The experienced guys we lose: Liggins and Jorts. Although Jorts was a senior, how much experience did he really have? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he only had one full season at the D1 level. He played less than 5 MPG during Cal's first year. Liggins' experience will be missed but his leadership will be replaced by a senior Miller and two sophomores with Final Four experience in Jones and Lamb.
3) How much did experience help UNC and OSU last tournament against Kentucky?

My overall point is there is not a clear advantage for either team - if anything, Kentucky should be the favorites - we beat this same UNC team and will be a clearly better team this season.

It really all depends on how well we gel. If we can avoid freshman mistakes when we play you in December then I really like our chances. Also Terrence Jones is completely different than he was last year.

UNC's main weakness is their lack of shooting ability. Kentucky is one of the longest teams in the country this year and we'll give you fits on defense on the perimeter.

UK can beat you in a variety of ways. We can shoot it from 3 with Lamb, Wiltjer, Miller etc. Hell even Jones, Davis, and Kidd-Gilchrist are reliable 3point shooters.

If the shot's aren't falling we can go inside with Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, and Jones. I don't see anyone on UNC's roster than can "out physical" Jones.

Teague is also damn fast. Not Wall fast, but a much better overall point guard than Knight was. We will miss Knight's shot though.

So yea, I would say that UK will be better than UNC. We're just more talented than you are.

Bowser

zmoney said:
Talent wise...yes.

Y'all can't shoot the ball.

UNC has everyone coming back from a team that lost to Kentucky in the Elite 8. They also bring in McAdoo and Hairston.

We lose Knight, Harrellson, Liggins, and Hood and replace with our freshmen class. Everyone one of our freshmen coming in can be consider an upgrade in talent from the player we lost except for Teague's outside shooting replacing Knight's.

Knight > Teague
Davis >>> Jorts
Kidd-Gilchrist > Liggins

Overall this is a net gain for Kentucky (incoming talent vs outgoing). Knight's shooting is about the only thing that is not obviously replaced, although Wiltjer may have something to say about that. UNC fans will pull the experience card but they fail to realize some things:

1) Under Cal where freshmen play huge minutes (30+), our freshmen are basically sophomores by the time March comes around. Unlike at most other schools where the majority of freshmen get less than 20 minutes a game if they are lucky. How did our freshmen look late last season or the season before? Pretty damn poised if you ask me - and nothing like freshmen.
2) The experienced guys we lose: Liggins and Jorts. Although Jorts was a senior, how much experience did he really have? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he only had one full season at the D1 level. He played less than 5 MPG during Cal's first year. Liggins' experience will be missed but his leadership will be replaced by a senior Miller and two sophomores with Final Four experience in Jones and Lamb.
3) How much did experience help UNC and OSU last tournament against Kentucky?

My overall point is there is not a clear advantage for either team - if anything, Kentucky should be the favorites - we beat this same UNC team and will be a clearly better team this season.

It really all depends on how well we gel. If we can avoid freshman mistakes when we play you in December then I really like our chances. Also Terrence Jones is completely different than he was last year.

UNC's main weakness is their lack of shooting ability. Kentucky is one of the longest teams in the country this year and we'll give you fits on defense on the perimeter.

UK can beat you in a variety of ways. We can shoot it from 3 with Lamb, Wiltjer, Miller etc. Hell even Jones, Davis, and Kidd-Gilchrist are reliable 3point shooters.

If the shot's aren't falling we can go inside with Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, and Jones. I don't see anyone on UNC's roster than can "out physical" Jones.

Teague is also damn fast. Not Wall fast, but a much better overall point guard than Knight was. We will miss Knight's shot though.

So yea, I would say that UK will be better than UNC. We're just more talented than you are.

Quoted, saved. See you December 3rd.

Will respond to some of your points after I leave work, but I'd just like to say Henson and Zeller "out physical"-ed the shit out of Jones just last season in Chapel Hill. What was it, 3-18?

UraMallas

Deadly Cyclone said:
Iowa State has huge hype this year, we picked up some great players. Haven't felt hype like this for us since the Tinsley/Fizer year...
I came in to post this. The Big 12 is a relatively strong conference and Iowa State might have a legitimate chance of upsetting some teams and turning some heads this year. Go Hoiberg and Co.!

Deadly Cyclone said:
Barnes should be playing for Iowa State anyways. /bitter
State would be a beast with him this year.

NewLib

Banned
I dont know if I would say Kentucky is better than UNC. I get a feeling that Teague is not as good as Wall or Knight and we really dont have a backup PG (Lamb isn't really comfortable in that position. Twany looked pretty good at BBM but he cant play until December). If Ryan Harrow could play this year, I dont think Kentucky would lose a game. But I get the feeling that like Terrence Jones in the second half of the season, Im going to be cursing Teague a lot this year.

Pollux

Bowser said:
Quoted, saved. See you December 3rd.

Will respond to some of your points after I leave work, but I'd just like to say Henson and Zeller "out physical"-ed the shit out of Jones just last season in Chapel Hill. What was it, 3-18?
I'll eat crow if y'all beat us.

Also, Jones is a completely different player this season. He's determined like nothing I've ever seen.

NewLib said:
I dont know if I would say Kentucky is better than UNC. I get a feeling that Teague is not as good as Wall or Knight and we really dont have a backup PG (Lamb isn't really comfortable in that position. Twany looked pretty good at BBM but he cant play until December). If Ryan Harrow could play this year, I dont think Kentucky would lose a game. But I get the feeling that like Terrence Jones in the second half of the season, Im going to be cursing Teague a lot this year.

Kentucky is more talented. Teague is a good PG and I think he'll do very well. Exceed expectations. He's physical as hell and from what we've heard of the practice reports he's an absolute pitt bull with the ball.

Weekend UK practice report said:
"Kidd-Gilchrist has been so good that Calipari told reporters that he’s instituted a new policy with his team.

“If he’s ahead of you in the break and you don’t give him the ball, you must come out,” Calipari said. ”Just walk to the bench and come over and sit down without the horn blowing.”

lol. Can't wait to see these guys play someone other than themselves tomorrow. Apparently they're really going at it. This team is going to be special.

MrCWS83

Dunk#7 said:
Marshall Thundering Herd

Going to make some noise this year!!!

Don't believe me? Just wait...

lrg_Marshall_University203.gif
Yeah that's what I'm gathering from the Sporting News preview...team to watch in C-USA

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Here is where I belong. Anyone but UNC and UConn can win the championship this year, anyone. TOSU, UK, Cuse, Us, fucking Butler, don't care, just no Holes, no Cons

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
truly101 said:
Here is where I belong. Anyone but UNC and UConn can win the championship this year, anyone. TOSU, UK, Cuse, Us, fucking Butler, don't care, just no Holes, no Cons
I'll watch Duke games this year only to undress curry's mom with my eyes.

ryan-ts

It would be nice to see the Wolverines make the tourney again this year. Last time they were ranked in the preseason Top 25, the season did not go as planned.

MrCWS83

Do you take Butler serious from here on out?
Like Gonzaga-like respect nationally? I think two consecutive runners up finishes merits that type of props. I wish Shelvin Mack would have returned, they'll get into the NCAA from a nice non-conference schedule but might not win the Horizon League this season

MrCWS83

ryan-ts said:
It would be nice to see the Wolverines make the tourney again this year. Last time they were ranked in the preseason Top 25, the season did not go as planned.
I think they'll get in. My guess is the Big Ten gets 7 in the NCAA this year

ryan-ts said:
God that sucked, I was so excited and then god damn heart-break city.

I remember I had an exam that day and when i got done I met my buddy at Eddie George's restaurant/bar for the 2nd half and that place went nuts inside when he hit it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DY_nasty said:
I'll watch Duke games this year only to undress curry's mom with my eyes.

and not to LOL at Rivers sulking? What's wrong with you?

I'm sorry DY_nasty, you're good people but your fanbase was unbearable in 2009 and I think I'd rather piss glass shards than go through that again.

UNC is good no doubt, but not scary good to me like 09. We could not beat the 09 team if they simply didn't want us to. Marshall's very good but he can't beat you off the dribble and you have no real depth at PG (Stillman White?) You have a a very good front court, but even Zeller and Henson don't make me anxious like Beaker. McDonald and Bullock have the ability to shoot from 3, but it hasn't been done consistently. Hard to know what McAdoo and Hairston will do, they have game though. I think we could play our best game and UNC play their best game this year and we have a shot to win. It wasn't happening in 09.

Of course a lot of our success will depend on how long before K wants to wait for Cook to take over. He's not Irving, but he's probably better than anyone we've had since Duhon.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
ryan-ts said:

This team is bigger, deeper, and has better leaders than that team did. Plus the league will be down the year.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
truly101 said:
and not to LOL at Rivers sulking? What's wrong with you?

I'm sorry DY_nasty, you're good people but your fanbase was unbearable in 2009 and I think I'd rather piss glass shards than go through that again.

UNC is good no doubt, but not scary good to me like 09. We could not beat the 09 team if they simply didn't want us to. Marshall's very good but he can't beat you off the dribble and you have no real depth at PG (Stillman White?) You have a a very good front court, but even Zeller and Henson don't make me anxious like Beaker. McDonald and Bullock have the ability to shoot from 3, but it hasn't been done consistently. Hard to know what McAdoo and Hairston will do, they have game though. I think we could play our best game and UNC play their best game this year and we have a shot to win. It wasn't happening in 09.

Of course a lot of our success will depend on how long before K wants to wait for Cook to take over. He's not Irving, but he's probably better than anyone we've had since Duhon.
Its the year of the black falcon, make your time.

But yeah, rivers is gonna blow and K is gonna castrate him.

Amory

Amory Blaine said:
Of course everyone's gonna be paying attention to Drummond, but I'm even more excited to see what Ryan Boatright can do. Kid is quick as hell. I haven't seen Calhoun this excited over a freshman in quite some time, he'll get some significant playing time backing up Napier this year.

Ryan Boatright's eligibility in question

Or not. Jesus fucking christ uconn get your shit together.

Pollux

Article about Terrence Jones' newfound drive and maturity that I was talking about earlier

Also Denny Crum (former Louisville coach) says that UK is one experienced PG away from being able to go undefeated. Thank God we have Twany Beckham eligible in the 2nd half of the season. Kid is quick and has a good basketball IQ.

Not saying we will go undefeated but If we can beat Kansas and UNC, and not screw up on the road in conference play...I would say there's a shot.

Proelite

DominoKid said:
so TJ Warren is staying home at NC State. guess he can kiss his future goodbye.

6'9" CJ Leslie 5* PF
6'8" Tyler Harris 4* PF
6'7" TJ Warren 4* SF
6'4" Rodney Purvis 5* SG
6'4 Lorenzo Brown 4* SG
5'11" Tyler Lewis 4* PG

is a national top 5 team is 2-3 years if GotFried is as good as Wolfpackers think. All they need is two more centers.

forrest

formerly nacire
vas_a_morir said:
What part of Kentucky are you from originally?

I'm from an area of Louisville called Fern Creek, it's right on the Jefferson Co. Bullitt county line. Before anyone says, Louisville this or that, my old man is UK alum. Dem cards get no love in my family! I do personally root for them in non UK games though. Yeah I'm that guy. :p I currently reside just minutes south of the UK campus in Lexington, but I'll be moving to TN in the next couple of weeks.

DominoKid

Proelite said:
6'9" CJ Leslie 5* PF
6'8" Tyler Harris 4* PF
6'7" TJ Warren 4* SF
6'4" Rodney Purvis 5* SG
6'4 Lorenzo Brown 4* SG

5'11" Tyler Lewis 4* PG

is a national top 5 team is 2-3 years if GotFried is as good as Wolfpackers think. All they need is two more centers.

i think the world will end before State is top 5 again.

besides i'd bet anything that the at least 3/4 (iffy on Brown) wont be there in 2 seasons anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom