• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well, looks like Gillispie is now officially going to be the next Texas Tech head coach. Of course, this has been the hope of Tech fans since VERY early in the season, and it's been basically a lock ever since Pat Knight was officially fired.

I know I'm excited. I don't really even follow basketball all that much, but it looks like a great hire and I love for all of my school's sports to do well.

iamblades

Monroeski said:
Well, looks like Gillispie is now officially going to be the next Texas Tech head coach. Of course, this has been the hope of Tech fans since VERY early in the season, and it's been basically a lock ever since Pat Knight was officially fired.

I know I'm excited. I don't really even follow basketball all that much, but it looks like a great hire and I love for all of my school's sports to do well.

If he stays off the sauce I think he can be a great coach, I just don't think he could handle everything that came with the UK job.

lush

bpearl-0918jpg-69ac18cfd9548203_large.jpg

good night sweet prince

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Well looking ahead to next year for Michigan things look bright but I think we still need a few things to happen to take us to the next level.

We really need incoming freshman Trey Burke to be able to come in ready to play. One on the biggest holes in our roster is the back up point guard spot. Stu Douglass does a valiant job when Darius Morris goes to the bench but he's not a real point guard. It shows because our offense gets really stagnant with him running the point. So we need Burke to be able to come in and run things for maybe 10-12 minutes a game. It'll also allow Stu to concentrate on the 2 guard spot which is his natural position.

We also need Jon Horford and/or Blake McLimans to step up and become a legit back up for Jordan Morgan so we can move Evan Smotrycz back to the 4 spot. We've done pretty well with the 4 guard line up and Novak at the 4 but I think we've about maxed out the potential of that line up and need to get more size on the court.

Wthermans

Banned
UT needs to clean house and get Hamilton out as well. He practically sabotaged Tennessee with that interview he gave prior to the Michigan game.

I doubt it'll solve anything long-term though since Cheek and Haslam are still balls deep in the program.

jakncoke said:
Do any of the Ivy league schools offer basketball scholarships?

Nope. Although, they do lower admissions standards for athletes. Not by much, but it's a much better deal than what your average Harvard/Yale/Princeton applicant's getting.

Especially with how much financial aid they can give out.

iamblades

Hasphat'sAnts said:
Nope. Although, they do lower admissions standards for athletes. Not by much, but it's a much better deal than what your average Harvard/Yale/Princeton applicant's getting.

Especially with how much financial aid they can give out.

Yeah, IIRC harvard's financial aid package for everyone but the rich kids is basically equivalent to a full ride scholarship. I dunno how generous the other schools are.

It's a distinction without a difference, and the Ivy League's objection to athletic scholarships is pretty silly anyway. The scholarships are the least of the worries when talking about the overemphasis of athletics in US universities, they are probably the one thing about college athletics that has an almost universally positive impact.

jjasper

Wthermans said:
UT needs to clean house and get Hamilton out as well. He practically sabotaged Tennessee with that interview he gave prior to the Michigan game.

I doubt it'll solve anything long-term though since Cheek and Haslam are still balls deep in the program.

Seems like the quote Hamilton put out was reactionary.

The months that followed have been difficult on everyone – our staff, our coaches, our administration, our fans and, certainly, our young men. During this time, the dynamics of our case with the NCAA have evolved further, including additional violations committed on September 14 and in March 2011. The cumulative effect of the evolution of the investigation combined with a number of more recent non-NCAA-related incidents have led to a belief that this staff cannot be viable at Tennessee in the future. Therefore, it is in the best interests of our institution to move in a different direction.

Edit:apparently this is what happened:

And then the final straw for the university came earlier this month when, a source told ESPN.com, the staff committed an NCAA violation on March 6 in regards to a player pass list for the home game against Kentucky. It was a procedural matter, but enough was enough apparently and that tipped the scale toward the firing of Pearl and his staff, despite the fact that the university had stuck by him throughout the previous six months.

The non-NCAA related incident, according to multiple sources, was a violation of the Tennessee athletic department substance abuse policy by UT senior forward Brian Williams. Williams missed the last two regular-season games at South Carolina and at home against Kentucky due to what team officials said was a bad back.

Brian Fellows said:
Michigan signee Trey Burke named Mr basketball in the state of Ohio.

I saw, im sad Sully couldnt convince him to come here, but our class is already loaded next year so hopefully we dont miss much.

jakncoke

Banned
watching this classic matchup on big ten channel illinois/n'western from 04 season. Deron Williams sure seemed a lot skinnier back then lol

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Went to the Illinois Basketball Coaches Assosciation last weekend and got to see a few incoming D1 freshmen.

The Illini

Tracy Abrams - Maybe it he was sick or maybe he just wasn't into the game but he looked terrible. He looked slow, his handle was bad, and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his shot. Not only did Chason Randle dominate him but so did the second string PG from the south squad.

Mychael Henry - Kid has an a D1 ready body that is for sure. at like 6'6 225 he was too big for the guards to handle and too quick for the bigs. He only seemed to be going about half speed and could still get to the hoop at will.

Nanna Egwu - The most surprising of the Illini signee's for me. He was more muscular than I was expecting. He could stand to put on some weight still but he's no beanpole and he has a much wider fram than Mike Tisdale so he should be able to put on weight easier. He moves extremely well for someone who is 6'11. He has great touch from the mid-range but he also showed some decent post moves. Basically he has all the best parts of Mike Tisdale's game but with the athleticism of a real D1 player.

Mike Shaw - A little mixed on Shaw. He certainly has the size, strength, and athleticism to become a great Illini big man but he seems to float to the perimeter a little too much. He struggled early in the game but once him and Egwu were in together they showed great chemistry together feeding each other and even had a couple of nice give and go's. It'll just be up to Bruce Weber to convince the kid to stay down low more ofter.

Chason Randle(Standford) - He had 22 points in the game. He was quick and had a good handle on the ball. His shot was "ok". He did look a little scrawny but he'll be playing in the girly Pac 10 so it should be much of a problem for his. :D

Roosevelt Jones(Butler) - Remember this kids name. He is a beast. He's built like a tank but still very quick. He has no problem at all getting to the hoop and isn't afraid of contact when he gets there. He's also a great defender. At 6'5 he'll give Brad Stevens a lot of options.

Brian Fellows said:
Went to the Illinois Basketball Coaches Assosciation last weekend and got to see a few incoming D1 freshmen.

The Illini

Tracy Abrams - Maybe it he was sick or maybe he just wasn't into the game but he looked terrible. He looked slow, his handle was bad, and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his shot. Not only did Chason Randle dominate him but so did the second string PG from the south squad.

Mychael Henry - Kid has an a D1 ready body that is for sure. at like 6'6 225 he was too big for the guards to handle and too quick for the bigs. He only seemed to be going about half speed and could still get to the hoop at will.

Nanna Egwu - The most surprising of the Illini signee's for me. He was more muscular than I was expecting. He could stand to put on some weight still but he's no beanpole and he has a much wider fram than Mike Tisdale so he should be able to put on weight easier. He moves extremely well for someone who is 6'11. He has great touch from the mid-range but he also showed some decent post moves. Basically he has all the best parts of Mike Tisdale's game but with the athleticism of a real D1 player.

Mike Shaw - A little mixed on Shaw. He certainly has the size, strength, and athleticism to become a great Illini big man but he seems to float to the perimeter a little too much. He struggled early in the game but once him and Egwu were in together they showed great chemistry together feeding each other and even had a couple of nice give and go's. It'll just be up to Bruce Weber to convince the kid to stay down low more ofter.

Chason Randle(Standford) - He had 22 points in the game. He was quick and had a good handle on the ball. His shot was "ok". He did look a little scrawny but he'll be playing in the girly Pac 10 so it should be much of a problem for his. :D

Roosevelt Jones(Butler) - Remember this kids name. He is a beast. He's built like a tank but still very quick. He has no problem at all getting to the hoop and isn't afraid of contact when he gets there. He's also a great defender. At 6'5 he'll give Brad Stevens a lot of options.

Very cool thx for the info. I definitely am most excited about Henry of all our '11 recruits. Egwu might actually end up being the biggest surprise of the class. I can see him having a JaJuan Johnson type career arc and end up playing in the NBA.

Disappointing to hear about Abrams but maybe he is playing hurt or something. I've seen enough of his games to know he is a good one.

Brian Fellows said:
Delvon Roe done at Michigan St. Kid could have been really special but couldn't catch a break when it came to injuries.

Yeah saw that today, feel bad for the kid. Had tons of potential and seemed like a decent kid.

I was talking to Jared Sullinger 2 weeks ago dude has lost tons of weight, hes is big. Going to be an even bigger force inside this year, I like our team and chances to win the B1G again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom