• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Randolph Freelander said:
In the state of North Carolina, the overwhelming majority of people are North Carolina fans, and they're a rather smug bunch. By default, this leaves the fans of the other ACC schools in-state (NC State, Duke, Wake Forest) in an ABC alliance, and this alliance has generally held. So at least in North Carolina tomorrow, virtually all NC State and Wake Forest fans will be rooting for Duke. Outside of North Carolina but still in ACC country, there should be more of a mix. I'm quite sure there's no love for UNC among those schools' fans, but they also don't have to deal with smugness of the fanbase day in and day out, either. So they could perhaps root just based on little guy versus big guy. Well, at least for the past 30 years or so, Duke has been just as big as Carolina has. Maryland, in particular, is vitriolic with their dislike of Duke, which is quite ironic, because I'm quite sure most Duke fans don't return the favor. But since non-North Carolina (the state, not the school) ACC teams don't really count anyway(*), I guess it doesn't matter.

*The game is played in Greensboro, most of the fans in attendance will be from North Carolina as everyone else has gone home, and quite frankly... the rest of the conference (Maryland excluded) hasn't done jack in basketball. UNC, Duke, and NC State combine for 11 NCAA championships. Rest of the league? 1 (Maryland - 2002). UNC, Duke, NC State combine for 45 ACC Tournament championships. Throw in Wake Forest, the NC schools are up to 49 championships. The rest of the league? 8.

I lived in NC for a long time. Big Tarheel fan, although I attended NC State for Computer Engineering :). Snottiest, whiniest fans I ever met were Duke fans. UNC is a working man's team. Duke fans are a bunch of lawyers and doctors sipping tea and yelling out "Tally-ho Blue Devils. Have at them." Maybe it's Coach K. He looks like a weasel and recruits kids that look like him :)

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
BigNastyCurve said:
I lived in NC for a long time. Big Tarheel fan, although I attended NC State for Computer Engineering :). Snottiest, whiniest fans I ever met were Duke fans. UNC is a working man's team. Duke fans are a bunch of lawyers and doctors sipping tea and yelling out "Tally-ho Blue Devils. Have at them." Maybe it's Coach K. He looks like a weasel and recruits kids that look like him :)

LULZ because thats EXACTLY what you get at the dean dome. This myth that UNC is for the "working man" is complete shit and one of the biggest hypocrisies your fanbase commits. You churn out more doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, and businessmen than Duke does. Most of your alumni is white, comes from wealthy families. You whine and cry how everyone is out to get you, how the refs are biased against you (despite factual evidence otherwise) THis is why I cannot stand UNC fans as a whole. The hypocrisy is unbearable. I live in NC so I know full well about what I'm talking about. Seriously, cut the bullshit, only the naive buys it

kenpom has the seeds up on the team rankings page.

Kansas St is effed.

e: Hang on, that's right next to the Wisconsin/Belmont game. That strikes me more as an overt try for a 12/13 second round matchup than coincidence...

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Shin Dynamo X said:
Anthony Grant should have NEVER left VCU. Now look at him, VCU is still making the tournament without him. Now Grant is the one sitting at home watching his former team take his spotlight.

Karma is a mutha.

Huh. VCU fans are crybaby bitches. Who knew?

Grant's got Alabama on the right track. He won't be sitting at home next year.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
BigNastyCurve said:

As a NC State grad, I say this with all the hate (which is not that much for hoopity basket) that I can muster in my heart: fuck the Tarheels and the horse they rode in on.

DJ_Tet

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:

lol

That's NC State btw

Anyway keep believing all that horse shit that Roy Williams spouts.

He'll continue telling you to shut the hell up on his radio program and throwing 'the working man' out of 'his' arena for wearing the wrong shirt.

bill0527

Well this pic here pretty much sums up my feelings on where UK got seeded and where UF got seeded after we thrashed them twice in the last 2 weeks.

Conference tourneys are completely meaningless unless its your only shot at getting into the tourney. Why bother even showing up?

257463715.jpg

iamblades

bill0527 said:
Well this pic here pretty much sums up my feelings on where UK got seeded and where UF got seeded after we thrashed them twice in the last 2 weeks.

Conference tourneys are completely meaningless unless its your only shot at getting into the tourney. Why bother even showing up?

257463715.jpg

Love Jones's face in that pic.

Proelite

Elfforkusu said:
kenpom has the seeds up on the team rankings page.

Kansas St is effed.

e: Hang on, that's right next to the Wisconsin/Belmont game. That strikes me more as an overt try for a 12/13 second round matchup than coincidence...

WOW. Virginia Tech is the highest team at 30 without a bid.

ROFL at Greenberg.

Fatalah

RedStormRising.jpg

When Lavin was hired at St. John's last April, this was the mission -- to return St. John's to the NCAA tournament, and to national relevance. It has taken him less than a calendar year to accomplish both.

I'm hoping they turn it on for big dance -- didn't like what I saw in the BE tourney. Very upset DJ Kennedy tore his ACL against Syracuse, losing him probably cost us a 5th seed. But damn, I feel worse the poor kid is going to miss this!

GO ST. JOHN'S!

Proelite

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/03/vt-hoops-seth-greenberg-reacts-hokies-ncaa-snub

Goonberg said:
I’d love to see the research on that No. 1, and No. 2 is there are teams in the tournament, that if you look at their non-conference schedule, beat no one. No one. They didn’t beat an Oklahoma State. They didn’t beat a Penn State. They didn’t beat a Mississippi State. We chose to go on the road to Kansas State.

Hey Kansas, Ohio State, Pitt, UNC etc. VT deserves a better seed than you guys because you didn't beat anyone.

Their non-conference schedule was ranked 180th. They have no one to blame but themselves for missing out this year. LOL @ bragging about beating Ok State and Miss State, like that is some accomplishment.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Proelite said:
http://hamptonroads.com/2011/03/vt-hoops-seth-greenberg-reacts-hokies-ncaa-snub

Hey Kansas, Ohio State, Pitt, UNC etc. VT deserves a better seed than you guys because you didn't beat anyone.

I think if VT had simply beat BC after their win over us, that would have been it. But they fucked it up, they get blown out by BC, lose to Clemson, 1 cm from losing to FSU and ended up getting worked by the same team they beat just a couple of weeks ago by double digits. VT has nobody to blame but themselves. LOL at Goonberg

BigNastyCurve said:

Self righteousness at its very best. You're every bit as bad as the Duke fans you hate. The only difference is, we Duke fans are self aware.

Proelite

Hasphat'sAnts said:
Self righteousness at its very best. You're every bit as bad as the Duke fans you hate. The only difference is, we Duke fans are self aware.

If he wants to see what is whining he should go to Inside Carolina board. They don't ever stop complaining about the reffing, hand checking, honor-codes, push offs, flopping etc. You did think UNC would be 6-10 in the Big East.

Bowser

lol at all the dook fans climbing out of the woodwork now

Proelite said:
If he wants to see what is whining he should go to Inside Carolina board. They don't ever stop complaining about the reffing, hand checking, honor-codes, push offs, flopping etc. You did think UNC would be 6-10 in the Big East.

Don't act like the same shit doesn't happen over at TDD, it's just as bad.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Bowser said:
lol at all the dook fans climbing out of the woodwork now

Don't act like the same shit doesn't happen over at TDD, it's just as bad.

I don't post here often but I'm not hiding (not that I think you're talking about me, but you might be.)

edit: Don't really give a shit if you are talking about me. Been talking about Duke at this website since you were in Jr High. It's a hard thread to read anymore though so it's not really a place I post often.

I think Wisconsin takes care of Belmont. Ryan is 8-1 in first round games as Wisconsin coach, many of those coming with worse seeds than a 4. Those last two games...well, Ohio State was out for revenge, and the Badgers shot as poorly as possible against Penn State but still were in the game throughout. I expect a better effort this week.

Belmont may have played tough in their games against Tennessee (twice) and Vandy, but they did lose, and while 30-1 against everyone else is impressive, their strength of schedule is pathetic, even worse than Utah State. They won their conference tournament by beating three <.500 schools.

LegoDad

firebricks3 said:
I'll take my badgers at #4. With the way we've been playing lately, Belmont is going to knock us out right away.

That's how I feel about K-state vs Utah State. Why the hell is Utah State a 12 seed, WTF.

Bowser

DJ_Tet said:
I don't post here often but I'm not hiding (not that I think you're talking about me, but you might be.)

edit: Don't really give a shit if you are talking about me. Been talking about Duke at this website since you were in Jr High. It's a hard thread to read anymore though so it's not really a place I post often.
Of course I'm not talking about you, you're the first duke fan I can remember on these boards, way back since like '03 when our Panthers made that Super Bowl run (fucking Luck had to stay in school...)

Dude I can't believe you don't remember me from the NFL threads :(

DJ_Tet

Banned
Bowser said:
Of course I'm not talking about you, you're the first duke fan I can remember on these boards, way back since like '03 when our Panthers made that Super Bowl run (fucking Luck had to stay in school...)

Dude I can't believe you don't remember me from the NFL threads :(

I remember you :) Panther fans are rare on this site!

I just didn't think you remembered me. I don't think of myself as memorable. We do go way back. I don't post much in the CBB threads so even if you had remembered me it still meant you could have been referencing me. I don't mean to post just when Duke wins but I'm usually so pissed when we lose that it's better for all that I don't post ;) And I don't really get too serious until this time of the year, posting about CBB in Dec doesn't really do a lot for me. So that could cause some people to think of me as a 'band wagon' or whatever.

As a UNC fan you'll be happy to know that by reminding me of Luck has put a downer on my day ;)

What's your take on UNC? Blip on the radar and wake up call or a sign of some serious issues? I was surprised to see how badly they played the first two games, and was really surprised they got off to a slow start again today. After last week I thought we were a bad matchup with UNC, didn't really think we would win today.

still baffled that UCONN who we beat twice jumped us and we were 6 spots ahead in the latest poll jumped us, same with syracuse...and with the 2nd most wins vs the rpi top 25

this years bracket is the most baffling I think I've seen in a decade, don't like our draw at all, but like UK's even less..a gutsy Princeton, then WVU then OSU

DominoKid

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! schizo Heels are back in full force!

*facepalm*

we can beat anyone will play, but you cant count on us to show up from the gun.

i like our odds against Ohio State, but the problem is making it that far.

krzy123

Not even mad. Only way we would have made it is if we won the ACC tourney. No shot considering we only have 6 players on schollie.

Rokam

Rage Kage said:
Go Missouri State!

I'm sad because they had the best record and a solid RPI and still didn't get in.

But oh well, onto the NIT!

MVC gets no love.

The MVC wasn't that great this year though :(. Also, Indiana State really screwed things up for the MVC by winning, especially Missouri State. I had high hopes for WSU, but like every year they manage to find new ways to lose. How in the hell you do better away then at home boggles the mind. Especially with the crowds that they pull in. Indiana State really screwed things up for the MVC by winning.

andycapps

truly101 said:
Feel bad for Anthony Grant and Bama especially since they beat UGA twice, but EEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLL at VT. Fuck you Goonberg, you deserve this

Thankfully the regular season means more than the last 2 weeks of it. Rightfully so too, we don't have any shitty losses like they do. Heck, our shittiest losses are to Bama.

krzy123

andycapps said:
Thankfully the regular season means more than the last 2 weeks of it. Rightfully so too, we don't have any shitty losses like they do. Heck, our shittiest losses are to Bama.

?? Penn state made it because of the last 2 weeks. We beat them head to head earlier in the season.

andycapps

krzy123 said:
?? Penn state made it because of the last 2 weeks. We beat them head to head earlier in the season.

Penn State's RPI was 39 and Bama's 80. Bama's strength of schedule was bad too, as was them having several bad losses. I didn't follow Penn State all year, but I know that if Bama wanted to gripe, they should have won those easy games earlier in the year. Penn State obviously impressed in the tourney much more than Bama did.

The pundits' whining over the tournament selection is getting really fucking annoying.

Yeah, a couple of teams got screwed, and it does suck for them. But these are teams that have absolutely no shot at actually competing for the title.

The system is the most definitive post-season in college athletics, and this does absolutely nothing to undermine it. So excuse me for not being outraged.

Cubsfan23

Banned
You can go ahead and bank VCU and UAB winning their play-in games, always happens with teams that "dont deserve to be in"

People are really overhyping Duke having an easy bracket, Texas matches up very well with them, and Arizona could easily knock them off too.

Cubsfan23 said:
You can go ahead and bank VCU and UAB winning their play-in games, always happens with teams that "dont deserve to be in".

Except VCU deserves to be in! Have you seen them play? They got mad skillz. Georgetown is going down, Purdue too!

BertramCooper said:
The pundits' whining over the tournament selection is getting really fucking annoying.

Yeah, a couple of teams got screwed, and it does suck for them. But these are teams that have absolutely no shot at actually competing for the title.

The system is the most definitive post-season in college athletics, and this does absolutely nothing to undermine it. So excuse me for not being outraged.
qft.

bitter tears over the opportunity to be eliminated in the first round? I don't get it.

BertramCooper said:

Coaches lose their jobs over tournament berths, so I can see why people are angry.

But since this year's field is so bad, I don't think anyone has a cause to cry bloody murder.

Hasphat'sAnts said:
Coaches lose their jobs over tournament berths, so I can see why people are angry.

But since this year's field is so bad, I don't think anyone has a cause to cry bloody murder.
A university should be able to distinguish between a deserving coach who should have made it and an incompetent one who shouldn't have.

That's the fault of the universities more than the selection committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom