• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of belly-aching over the snubs. Granted, Bilas makes a good point in acknowledging that none of these teams would win the championship, he says that coaches get fired over not making the tournament, so you'd like to get the right teams in.

As for the snubs, would have loved to see Harvard get in.

Talon

Randolph Freelander said:
Lots of belly-aching over the snubs. Granted, Bilas makes a good point in acknowledging that none of these teams would win the championship, he says that coaches get fired over not making the tournament, so you'd like to get the right teams in.

As for the snubs, would have loved to see Harvard get in.
If Seth Greenberg gets fired soon, it's because his teams lose to bad teams year-in, year-out and they sit right around 20 wins - not because he got screwed by the committee.

dagZ said:
oh god. another year, another easy road to the final four for duke. good job panel.

I don't think it's an easy road at all. But even if it was, so what? They still have to win the games. But enough complaining relating to last year, it is what it is. Was Duke's bracket easier than Kansas's road? Maybe, but did anyone expect Northern Freaking Iowa to be the team that beat Kansas? Not Duke's problem. Butler beat Syracuse. Duke's fault? Duke beat Butler. West Virginia thought they should have got a #1. They beat #1 Kentucky and got to face Duke in the Final Four. How did that turn out?

Play the team in the bracket, let the rest sort itself out.

Talon

Duke doesn't have an easy road at all. Ohio State has the toughest region, but that's probably the second toughest region.

McNei1y

Yeah. Screw Duke! They should have two teams play at the same time against Duke from now on! But seriously, It should be interesting for Duke. Definitely not the easiest road by any means.

"I doubt some of the committee members know the basketball is round"- J. Bilas lol

Tad Boyle talking about his five seniors, you can tell how bad that blow hit them. There are no excuses for Colorado not being in the tournament. UAB and VCU are a fucking joke.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Talon- said:
He's a fucking alum and ex-assistant, dude.

He's ripping VCU and UAB getting in over any of the teams on the bubble.

Its a running joke with Duke fans that Bilas is a secret UNC fan. He tends to be less critical of them than his alma mater. It is true that he was still on the Sparty championship bandwagon in early January while constantly listing the reasons Duke could not win it while MUS was in far worse shape. His defense of Harrison Barnes during his early struggles was fucking laughable. Bilas is not unimpeachable and certainly due some ridicule, but I really don't have an issue with him as an analyst. Digger and Len Elmore truly hate us, you'll never convince me otherwise

love Bilas' commentary and his twitter is hilarious

also was out eating with the misses so catching up on all this now..wtf at florida at a 2, and UAB making the field

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Words cant describe my disappointment in CU not making it in. I was counting down the days to CU's very rare appearance in the big one. Talk around town was all about CU finally making it. Sport reporters like ESPN stopped talking about CU as a bubble team and started talking about them as a sure thing and then this happened. Apparently beating Missouri, Texas, and Kansas State 3 times isn't enough.

The sad thing is CU probably wont have another chance for a while, for reasons you guys already talked about. This really really sucks.

GodfatherX said:
love Bilas' commentary and his twitter is hilarious

He's good for a few one liners, that's for sure.

I particularly enjoyed it when after Larry Drew II announced he was leaving Carolina, Hubert Davis talked about how in his sophomore or junior year, he was getting frustrated, thought about transferring. Went in to talk with Coach Smith about it and both of them came away from the meeting laughing and it eventually, of course, all worked out. Bilas said if he would have gone to Coach K and said he was thinking about transferring, K would have driven him to the airport.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Don't know why they'd fire Seth Greenberg, he's a great mascot.

Oh, he's the coach.

THey should replace the VT emblem with this in every future bubble conversation

trollface-(n1297246220790).jpg

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I don't get that feeling at all.

Digger can' fucking stand Duke since we beat ND in 78 final four. You can see it every time he's forced to talk about us and pretty much never picks us to win.

Elmore is our personal Billy Packer, just not as grumpy. He'll terp the shit out of every call that goes our way.

DJ_Tet

Banned
truly101 said:
You can see it every time he's forced to talk about us and pretty much never picks us to win.

So he's just like you then

edit: I agree that Digger can't stand Duke but I've never felt that way about Elmore. Then again, I don't really give a shit what either of them say.

thepotatoman said:
Words cant describe my disappointment in CU not making it in. I was counting down the days to CU's very rare appearance in the big one. Talk around town was all about CU finally making it. Sport reporters like ESPN stopped talking about CU as a bubble team and started talking about them as a sure thing and then this happened. Apparently beating Missouri, Texas, and Kansas State 3 times isn't enough.

The sad thing is CU probably wont have another chance for a while, for reasons you guys already talked about. This really really sucks.

Colorado's win-loss against the Top 50 teams was 6-7. Clemson? Zero wins against the RPI 50. Fucking ridiculous.

NewLib

Banned
You know I was mad at first about Kentucky getting a 4 seed, but really its not that bad. Princeton is by far the worst of the 13 seeds (Oakland, Morehead St, and Belmont all are great upset picks) and West Virginia is a little overranked at 5.

Really if Kentucky was a 3 seed, I could see them getting Princeton as a 14 and WVU as a 6. The big thing is instead of having to play an Ohio State in the Elite Eight, they have to play them in the Sweet Sixteen. But my opinion is once you get to the Sweet Sixteen, seeding stops mattering and you just need to beat the team in front of you.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DJ_Tet said:
So he's just like you then

edit: I agree that Digger can't stand Duke but I've never felt that way about Elmore. Then again, I don't really give a shit what either of them say.

Yeah, but I'm working the reverse jinx mojo, Digger truly wants us to lose forever and ever.

Anyone know the best way to get Tix? Me and my buddy are going to go to Cleveland because he's a big Cuse fan. Ticket master is showing 237 for all sessions but when I search 2 seats it says no results.

Talon

bucknuticus said:
Anyone know the best way to get Tix? Me and my buddy are going to go to Cleveland because he's a big Cuse fan. Ticket master is showing 237 for all sessions but when I search 2 seats it says no results.
Stubhub, son.

Mizzou Gaming said:
"I doubt some of the committee members know the basketball is round"- J. Bilas lol

Tad Boyle talking about his five seniors, you can tell how bad that blow hit them. There are no excuses for Colorado not being in the tournament. UAB and VCU are a fucking joke.
I said in the bracket thread and I'll say it again here. UAB was the regular season champs of the eighth rated conference in America with an RPI in the 30s.

Be upset that VT or Colorado didn't get in, thats fine. But at the expense of UAB? I don't think so.

jjasper

GoldenEye 007 said:
I said in the bracket thread and I'll say it again here. UAB was the regular season champs of the eighth rated conference in America with an RPI in the 30s.

Is that an accomplishment?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Digger just picked Duke to go to the Final Four. I would say he saw your reverse jinx and upped the bid to a reverse reverse jinx.

he mind trickin me, but I'm not gonna fall for it. We are so not going to make the final four that we're going to easily make the final four

jjasper said:
Is that an accomplishment?
Apparently. And rightfully so. Is it so bad the eight rated conference got two bids?

Or is it one of those things that if you're in a "major" conference, it's called parity while being in "mid-majors" it is considered that everyone is just weak and it just isn't possible the conference is strong because of lack of catchy names?

sazabirules said:
It sucks George Mason got ranked higher than mine (ODU). I'm so happy VT didn't make the tournament.

Hey I went to VCU (undergrad) and you guys got a great squad. But I will tell you this, you couldn't beat GMU...but we did, heh heh.

Also, please to down VT. Those guys deserve to be in it, especially after beating Duke and going to the ACC semis. I also went to grad school there, but that's another story.

Pollux

NewLib said:
You know I was mad at first about Kentucky getting a 4 seed, but really its not that bad. Princeton is by far the worst of the 13 seeds (Oakland, Morehead St, and Belmont all are great upset picks) and West Virginia is a little overranked at 5.

Really if Kentucky was a 3 seed, I could see them getting Princeton as a 14 and WVU as a 6. The big thing is instead of having to play an Ohio State in the Elite Eight, they have to play them in the Sweet Sixteen. But my opinion is once you get to the Sweet Sixteen, seeding stops mattering and you just need to beat the team in front of you.

This is true, and Kentucky is playing as well as anyone in the country right now, I would not look past them to automatically lose if they DO play OSU in the Sweet 16. I like our chances just as much as anyone as long as we can manage to stay out of four trouble.

truly101 said:
Feel bad for Anthony Grant and Bama especially since they beat UGA twice, but EEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLL at VT. Fuck you Goonberg, you deserve this

Anthony Grant should have NEVER left VCU. Now look at him, VCU is still making the tournament without him. Now Grant is the one sitting at home watching his former team take his spotlight.

Karma is a mutha.

DarkWish said:
VCU!!! GO RAMS!!! My school made it!

You mean OUR school made it. I was an RA at GRC back in the day. Man, that school sure had some hot babes.

Before folks say VCU shouldn't be there. Keep in mind that we beat more Top 50 teams than VT and UAB. VCU was also the team to stop George Mason's winning streak (Rank #25) and they also beat ODU on the road. They nearly won the conference tourney, so the strong finish and key road wins did ti.

Freaking UAB only got credit for beating VCU by 3 pts. They were 1-4 against Top 50 teams.

jjasper

GoldenEye 007 said:
Apparently. And rightfully so. Is it so bad the eight rated conference got two bids?

Not if the teams are good. There weren't any good teams in CUSA after UCF tanked for whatever reason (sorry dude).

dagZ

bucknuticus said:

another cuse fan! don't really see many on here.

jjasper said:
Not if the teams are good. There weren't any good teams in CUSA after UCF tanked for whatever reason (sorry dude).
But if the teams are no good, then how in the world is the conference rated so high? Magic? Or maybe the teams are pretty good when you actually look at the numbers but simply aren't getting the respect from the pundits out there like ESPN completely trashing the school [UAB] in their show tonight?

Kalnos

Banned
Shin Dynamo X said:
Anthony Grant should have NEVER left VCU. Now look at him, VCU is still making the tournament without him. Now Grant is the one sitting at home watching his former team take his spotlight.

Karma is a mutha.

He has already made big strides with Bama. If he schedules a good OOC schedule and keeps dominating the SEC West (lol) then he will be better off at Bama.

Rage Kage

Neo Member
Go Missouri State!

I'm sad because they had the best record and a solid RPI and still didn't get in.

But oh well, onto the NIT!

MVC gets no love.

Talon

GoldenEye 007 said:
But if the teams are no good, then how in the world is the conference rated so high? Magic? Or maybe the teams are pretty good when you actually look at the numbers but simply aren't getting the respect from the pundits out there like ESPN completely trashing the school [UAB] in their show tonight?
If 8 is high, I've got a bridge to sell you.

All of these teams at the fringes are terrible in varying degrees.

Roger

Neo Member
I think Duke has a good shot at winning it all this year, especially if Kyrie plays in the tournament if even coming off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom