• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kalnos said:
He has already made big strides with Bama. If he schedules a good OOC schedule and keeps dominating the SEC West (lol) then he will be better off at Bama.

He had faster success with VCU and after 2 years he still hasn't put Bama in the tourney. SEC isn't that hot, so there is no reason why he couldn't get them at least in it.

Since he left VCU, that school sent another player to the NBA and they made the tourney next year. I'll give him credit for setting a great foundation, but expectations were higher at Bama and they should have made it.

mre said:
Huh. VCU fans are crybaby bitches. Who knew?

Grant's got Alabama on the right track. He won't be sitting at home next year.

Now why the heck would I whine about Grant when VCU is in the tourney and his team isn't? That makes no sense at all. Don't get whining mixed up with laughing. He got VCU to the postseason on his first year, and he has less success with Bama after 2 years. Here are the numbers to prove it:

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason

2006–2007 Virginia Commonwealth 28–7 16–2 1st NCAA 2nd Round
2007–2008 Virginia Commonwealth 24–8 15–3 1st NIT 1st Round
2008–2009 Virginia Commonwealth 24–10 14–4 1st NCAA 1st Round
TOTAL: 76–25 45–9

2009–2010 Alabama 17–15 6–10 T–4th (West)
2010–2011 Alabama 21–11 12–4 1st (West) NIT
TOTAL: 38–26 19–14

Learn to read posts for once and watch your language before you start calling people you don't know crybaby bitches. Sound like a 12 year old. Now go back and buy some Oxy10 for your pimples.

Bowser

truly101 said:
punk.png

lol no eye contact at all, u mad black failcon?

I wouldn't want to look at Nolan's face either...*shudders*

Dali

I guess it's that time of year for me to make my college basketball thread appearance. No sticky for the tournament? Are we using yahoo for the pick 'em or ugghhh... ESPN? Bring me up to speed for the last six months. Go Dragons Blazers!

SamuraiX- said:
Just made my bracket.

My Final Four teams are: Duke, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame.

Who do you guys got?
Ohio State, Texas, Notre Dame and Pitt.

OSU over Texas. Notre Dame over Pitt.

OSU over Notre Dame.

jakncoke

Banned
I actually picked a NC this year :p.. I remember last year or year before i failed to do so haha. OSU over Texas and Pitt over Kansas and Pitt over OSU

mr. puppy

Banned
i'm wondering if anybody has advice on this:

I really really want to pick San Diego over Duke because of home field advantage. Anybody else doing something similar, or is it stupid to go against Coach K?

mr. puppy said:

I really really want to pick San Diego over Duke because of home field advantage. Anybody else doing something similar, or is it stupid to go against Coach K?

San Diego stands no chance against Duke. San Diego State on the other hand might play them close.

mr. puppy said:

You don't have to worry about this problem because SDST doesn't get past UConn. :p

jjasper

“We don’t know the answer today,” the AD said when asked if Pearl will return. “We’ve done a lot of soul search about the direction of our program and we’ll continue to do that and we’ll decide after we’re out of the NCAA Tournament what direction it is that we’re going to go next.”

“We’re not going to finish our evaluation until after the season is over.”

This is what Mike Hamilton is saying now after running around telling everyone we were going to keep him no matter what. Pretty much confirming that Friday is Pearl's last game.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
jjasper said:
This is what Mike Hamilton is saying now after running around telling everyone we were going to keep him no matter what. Pretty much confirming that Friday is Pearl's last game.

He's probably just saying this to get your team to "win one for the Gipper".

jjasper

Brian Fellows said:
He's probably just saying this to get your team to "win one for the Gipper".

Could be but most people in the know seem to think he is gone and that they might do it right after instead of waiting till the NCAA announces.

If the whole "win one for the gipper thing works though and they play to their ability and not how they have played since mid December they could do damage..........but they won't

Edit: more info about it:

Apparently Tennessee officials had a good reason for not self-reporting a bump rule violation that took place last September, just four days after a press conference announcing self-imposed penalties against Bruce Pearl… Pearl didn’t tell the school about the violation.

In an interview scheduled to run this afternoon on WNML-AM/FM in Knoxville, UT athletic director Mike Hamilton tells radio host Jimmy Hyams that the school found out about Pearl’s accidental bump with a recruit at Virginia’s Oak Hill Academy when the NCAA informed them of it in November.

At the time, Hamilton continued to say that Tennessee wanted to keep Pearl as its head coach even if the NCAA handed him a one-year suspension. But that support seems to be wavering.

“We don’t know the answer today,” the AD said when asked if Pearl will return. “We’ve done a lot of soul searching about the direction of our program and we’ll continue to do that and we’ll decide after we’re out of the NCAA Tournament what direction it is that we’re going to go next.”

“We’re not going to finish our evaluation until after the season is over.”

It’s possible that the media backlash against Pearl’s post-presser bump violation — as well as UT’s disappointing season — have eroded some of the coach’s base. He is still working without a contract at this time. Asked if Pearl is bothered by that fact, Hamilton said: “I’m sure he is. Absolutely. But he had a chance to have had a contract back in November and December and we just never got to the finish line. Now we’ve got to the point where we don’t feel like we can do that.”

As we said at the time, Pearl should have signed whatever contract UT placed before him. He was lucky to have a job. And after Tennessee and Hamilton took a beating in the national press for standing by him, it’s certainly understandable that they would be upset that he did not inform them of the bump rule violation… whether he viewed it to be a serious infraction or not.

yeah he is gone(and rightfully too).

DarkWish

I'm excited for the VCU game tonight! It's going to feel really weird watching it on TV since I've pretty much been at almost all the games this season and supporting them, but still excited. I have no idea how good/bad of a team USC is... should I be worried?

mr. puppy said:

I picked it, Duke struggles with physical teams inside.

DarkWish said:
I have no idea how good/bad of a team USC is... should I be worried?
They're kinda hot and cold, but they're very dangerous when they're on. They have two big, talented post players along with a slew of guards that can score a lot if they're feeling it.

bill0527

jjasper said:
Could be but most people in the know seem to think he is gone and that they might do it right after instead of waiting till the NCAA announces.

If the whole "win one for the gipper thing works though and they play to their ability and not how they have played since mid December they could do damage..........but they won't

Edit: more info about it:

yeah he is gone(and rightfully too).

Even as a UK fan, I'll be one of the few people who would hate to see Pearl go. He's been good for SEC basketball, been a good personality, and made UT relevant. I'm sure that's why he's still employed today and hasn't been canned already.

But there's a part of me also that knows deep down that Pearl is a scumbag but he's probably no different than any other coach with a winning program, he just got caught and then lied about it, and lied again. I also seriously doubt he just developed this behavior over the last couple of years. He also apparently passed on some of his tricks to his former top assistants. When he was here at D-2 USI and won the D-2 championship, his top assistant got the HC job after Pearl left for Milwaukee. 2 years ago that coach got busted for a legal sheet's worth of NCAA violations and resigned immediately and the school was put on 2 years probation, with no post-season during that time.

IMO opinion if Pearl goes, then the UT AD should be on the bus that follows him out of town.

Bowser

My picks (I'm sure you guys already know where this is heading :jakncoke)

Final Four:

UNC over SDSU
KU over PITT

Championship:
UNC over KU

Roy and the Heels avenge our '08 Final Four loss at the hands of the Jayhawks. Harrison Barnes hits the game-winner and is MOP.

It's good to dream.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bowser said:
My picks (I'm sure you guys already know where this is heading :jakncoke)

Final Four:

UNC over SDSU
KU over PITT

Championship:
UNC over KU

Roy and the Heels avenge our '08 Final Four loss at the hands of the Jayhawks. Harrison Barnes hits the game-winner and is MOP.

It's good to dream.

If you play a team with a good zone, like 'cuse, you're fucked. Good news is that Syracsue has been known to phone it in during tourney time and blow it against someone crappy

Bowser

truly101 said:
If you play a team with a good zone, like 'cuse, you're fucked. Good news is that Syracsue has been known to phone it in during tourney time and blow it against someone crappy

I've got Xavier in the Sweet 16 :D

They've made it that far in the past three tournaments, so why not?

jjasper

It is pretty much all but official this is his last hurrah. Hopefully he goes down in a blaze of glory.

bill0527 said:
IMO opinion if Pearl goes, then the UT AD should be on the bus that follows him out of town.

I would be a majority of fans would be for this.

Edit: Don't know who I would want them to hire, not many people are going to want to walk into a program with NCAA sanctions in place. Luckily though I think we have shed the "You can't be successful at UT" label now so maybe some crazy fool will be interested.

Cal up a few against Mississippi in the NIT getting towards halftime. Going to be tough without Markhuri Sanders-Frison who dislocated his shoulder during practice on Tuesday.

SyNapSe

bucknuticus said:
I picked it, Duke struggles with physical teams inside.

I'll admit I haven't seen a lot of SDSU. I didn't think they were a physical inside team. I thought they were an undersized athletic team with guys like Leonard.

If it were that kind of problem, I can't image anyone picking them to get past Texas. They've got great athleticism and depth with the big guys.

Seth C

jjasper said:
It is pretty much all but official this is his last hurrah. Hopefully he goes down in a blaze of glory.

I would be a majority of fans would be for this.

Edit: Don't know who I would want them to hire, not many people are going to want to walk into a program with NCAA sanctions in place. Luckily though I think we have shed the "You can't be successful at UT" label now so maybe some crazy fool will be interested.

I hear Tubby is shopping his services around (again). He would be happy to bring in all the high Division II talent available.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
BigNastyCurve said:
I lived in NC for a long time. Big Tarheel fan, although I attended NC State for Computer Engineering :). Snottiest, whiniest fans I ever met were Duke fans. UNC is a working man's team. Duke fans are a bunch of lawyers and doctors sipping tea and yelling out "Tally-ho Blue Devils. Have at them." Maybe it's Coach K. He looks like a weasel and recruits kids that look like him :)

lol. UNC Is for the upper-class, old-school, white plantation North Carolina families. State (and UNCA, UNCW, etc) are the real working man schools. But keep telling yourself whatever you want about Duke that makes you feel better, the rest of the country knows where the term "whine and cheese crowd" originates.

exwallst

I'm in a pool where you pick one of each of the seeds, from 1-16 and then get points depending on each win. What #3 should I take? I hate them all.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Shin Dynamo X said:
Learn to read posts for once and watch your language before you start calling people you don't know crybaby bitches. Sound like a 12 year old. Now go back and buy some Oxy10 for your pimples.

uFmfS.jpg

Man, I missed this reply somehow. You're going to need to put on your big boy pants if you're going to exist in Sports-GAF. "Watch my language?" Thanks, Grandpa.

Allow me to applaud VCU for making it through the tough CAA season relatively unscathed. I'm certainly not going to put the SEC up as the poster-child of difficult basketball conferences, but it is a damn sight more challenging than the CAA. Furthermore, I don't think you know anything about Alabama basketball when you go spouting off gems like this:
I'll give him credit for setting a great foundation, but expectations were higher at Bama and they should have made it.
You are nuts if you think that Grant has not exceeded all of the expectations placed on him. Gottfried, the prior coach, left the cupboard BARE for Grant. Alabama has not been in the NCAA tournament since 2006 or even the NIT since 2007. Furthermore, while there were many talented players on the roster, they were lazy and did not play as a team. Grant has changed this around and actually has people caring about the program again. This team had no business being in the NCAA tournament, so the fact that they had a strong conference run to even get into the tournament conversation is incredible.

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on VCU basketball, but a quick glance at its Wikipedia page shows that VCU made the post season (either NCAA or NIT) in 2 of the 3 years prior to Grant's hiring. I would say that he had a tad bit more to work with when he arrived at VCU than when he was hired at Alabama.

Now stop being a crybaby bitch about the fact that Grant left VCU and took a job at a school where basketball is an afterthought and enjoy your team's game in the NCAA tournament.

jjasper

Wait I missed that someone said "watch your language" in a sports thread :jakncoke

Grant's done a lovely job at bama, I can't wait to see what he accomplishes at Tennessee.

Pollux

exwallst said:
I'm in a pool where you pick one of each of the seeds, from 1-16 and then get points depending on each win. What #3 should I take? I hate them all.

Of the 3 seeds Syracuse is probably your best bet.

VCU WINS!!! Eat that naysayers (especially you ESPN). I heard the VCU coach played the 10 minute rant that ESPN did about UAB and VCU making it to the bubble. That was more than enough to motivate those guys.

They are now 9-6 on the road. Now the G-Town may not have their best players, we have a chance to do some more damage. They got more tourney wins than even George Mason...but GMU got that Final Four banner. I'm still waiting for a ESPN 30/30 movie on Mason.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
jjasper said:
Wait I missed that someone said "watch your language" in a sports thread :jakncoke

Grant's done a lovely job at bama, I can't wait to see what he accomplishes at Tennessee.

Yeah, I don't think so. And if he does jump to UT, then I'm sure VCU has a coach ready to jump ship and coach at a football-centric school.

jjasper

mre said:
Yeah, I don't think so. And if he does jump to UT, then I'm sure VCU has a coach ready to jump ship and coach at a football-centric school.

Their current one has been an assistant at Clemson and Florida so it looks like we got one for the taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom