• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA Men's College Basketball 2010-2011 Season OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Duke has been rather dominant inside the league lately, particularly in ACC tournaments. They've won 9 of the last 12. UNC won 2 in that span. The only other was Maryland in 2004. To again underscore the ineptitude of out-of-NC schools in this tournament, the last external winner prior to Maryland in 04 was Georgia Tech in 93.

Clemson, for their part, has never won the thing, despite being in the league since its formation in 1953 (and the first tournament being in 1954). South Carolina has more ACC championships (by default, right, they've won 1!) and they've been out of the league for 40 years.

The other members that haven't won a league title are Florida State (approaching 20 years in the league) and the newbies (Boston College, Virginia Tech, Miami).

Oh wow. Just looked it up, Clemson has only been to the championship game twice in the entire history of the tournament (1962, lost to Wake Forest, and 2008, lost to Carolina). Come on, Tigers, what gives?

There's a guy I work with who is a Clemson fan, being from South Carolina. After reminding him earlier in the year of his team's record in Chapel Hill (0 for 55), he correctly pointed out "Clemson's a football school!"

Then I had to remind him of the last time Clemson did anything in football. That was below the belt, I had to apologize.

DominoKid

I blame the ineptitude of the acc on the coaches. outside of k/roy/gut/dean/prosser/sweaty acc coaches have been the definition of incompetent and weak for the past 15 years.

There may be some hope in the ACC. It's still early, but I think UVa, BC, and Clemson have good coaches who can eventually build winners. Georgia Tech and (likely) NC State have a chance to improve their situations, as well.

DominoKid

Randolph Freelander said:
There may be some hope in the ACC. It's still early, but I think UVa, BC, and Clemson have good coaches who can eventually build winners. Georgia Tech and (likely) NC State have a chance to improve their situations, as well.

I hope so. I'm from Winston so while I'm a Tar Heel fan I've seen a lot of other teams play @Wake this year. Sad sights indeed.

Proelite

So glad that VT went down today. I am praying for VT to get cut from the tournament tomorrow. Hate teams that beat us and play uninspired basketball for the next 2-3 games. Losing to losers always is frustrating.

Gaudio might not have been the long term answer at Wake Forest, but firing him to replace him with Jeff Bzdelik was classic cronyism. When they run him out of town, they have to remember to run off their AD Ron Wellman, too.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Hasphat'sAnts said:
That's a given. But is it too much to ask for the same vitriol in your own league?

I hate rhetorical questions.

UNC is pretty disliked by Clemson and UMD to a degree. The rest of the conference has no real identity in basketball so their fans will cling to whatever national trends and fads there are. Duke hate is marketed and promoted, especially by ESPN, because it brings in the casual fan. Its hard to find a team everyone could root for, but easier to find a team everyone can hate so they get people to buy into that.

jakncoke

Banned
damn what a horrible way to extend not making the tourney since 1946. I guess they could get an at large in theory. cept Ivy never sent 2 teams and they dont scream at large

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Irving dressed and participated in warmups today but I doubt he sees the court today. It would be nice to beat UNC today with him on the court but we have to look at the bigger picture. I'll swallow the L knowing he can go in the second round at least

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Proelite said:
4 fouls in less than 4 minutes for Duke. Yikes.

So much for neutral territory.

You know Swofford has instructed the refs to bail out the sheep if they struggle. They let VT get away with murder last night, no reason to expect any different this game.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'd love to see a tad less one-on-five from Nolan Smith, but at this point, he is who he is.

I guess he's decided the best way to go league is to be Jameer Nelson.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Good start so far. Duke knows how to run stall ball better than Miami and Clemson so maybe we can pull this one out.

Seth C

truly101 said:
Good start so far. Duke knows how to run stall ball better than Miami and Clemson so maybe we can pull this one out.

Are you suggesting they should stall for the remaining 3/4 of the game? Well, you are playing UNC so I suppose some 4 corners would be justice well served...

pxleyes

Banned
Always fun to watch the SEC heavyweights slug it out. Such a good game to watch so far. Nice to know this game doesn't make or break anything as far as the dance is concerned besides maybe a 2 seed instead of a 3.

Pollux

pxleyes said:
Always fun to watch the SEC heavyweights slug it out. Such a good game to watch so far. Nice to know this game doesn't make or break anything as far as the dance is concerned besides maybe a 2 seed instead of a 3.

You're right, so far it has been a great game, but this is how Florida has been playing for the last two games, they trail at half time and then come back and win by double digits. With that being said, I like that Kentucky is getting to the line and they seen like they're in good shape as far as fouls go. We'll see in the 2nd half.

sooperkool said:
Ive been watching ACC basketball for almost 40 years. Roy is going to get outcoached and Duke has the discipline to beat the hell out of Carolina and it shows.

Congrats? Any team shooting as well as Duke is right now is never going to get beaten. They'll have to miss some shots for Carolina to get back in it. The Tarheels aren't going to just roll over and play dead.

Pollux

BigNastyCurve said:
Congrats? Any team shooting as well as Duke is right now is never going to get beaten. They'll have to miss some shots for Carolina to get back in it. The Tarheels aren't going to just roll over and play dead.

Yea, but at the moment Duke is taking Carolina out behind the wood shed.

Seth C

pxleyes said:

Yeah. It's been a really good game for the first half. I hope the second is just as good. Florida and Kentucky both look solid. Hopefully we can play a fourth time in a few weeks!

Its more than goos shooting, Duke is turning over like crazy. Duke is just better coached today, they aren't going to let Harrison Barnes sore 40 points and run around and shoot easy jumpers. They're making Henson put the ball on the floor so he's turnover man and everyone else is.... everyone else. If Singler had a better game then Duke would be up by 30.

Kalnos

Banned
Looking at the FT difference between Florida and UK you would think the game is being called poorly, but I don't think it really is.

DarkWish

ErasureAcer said:
I hope VCU makes the field. They could f-up some brackets.
I was actually wondering what the chances are of VCU being in. I don't follow this stuff much but this last year the school spirit got to me and I've been going to VCU's games all year so I'm curious as to what their chances are of continuing. It would be awesome to see my team continue.

jjasper

Kalnos said:
Looking at the FT difference between Florida and UK you would think the game is being called poorly, but I don't think it really is.

FT difference is such a shitty way to determine how a game is called or if a game is called fair.

Proelite

There will be a 3 for Singler and it will fall and the flood gates will open.

That, or Duke loses. 50/50 either way.

More like 3 for Singler and he then forces a fade away airball 15 seconds into the next possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom