• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA plans to gradually reinstate Penn State football scholarships

Status
Not open for further replies.

inm8num2

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ding-jerry-sandusky-child-sexual-abuse-matter

http://www.freep.com/article/20130924/SPORTS08/309240084/1055/sports07

HARRISBURG, PA. — The NCAA says it gradually will restore football scholarships taken from Penn State over the Jerry Sandusky child-molestation scandal, saying the school has made significant changes to its athletics programs.

College sports’ governing body said today that five scholarships will be restored next year and more will be phased in until the school reaches normal totals in 2016-17.

The NCAA says the decision was made based on the recommendation of former U.S. Sen. George Mitchell, who has been serving as Penn State’s athletics-integrity monitor.

Penn State and the NCAA agreed to the penalties a year ago, shortly after Sandusky was convicted of 45 counts of sexual abuse.

Penn State is also paying a $60-million fine and serving a five-year ban on postseason play.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...penn-state-scholarships-163029431--ncaaf.html

Score one for Penn State.

The NCAA announced Tuesday that it will partially restore scholarships the university lost as a result of the Jerry Sandusky sex scandal.

Beginning next year, the university will have five additional scholarships. The number will increase until the university reaches 25 offered scholarships in 2015-16 and 85 total scholarships in 2016-17.

“Today’s announcement by the NCAA is tremendous news," coach Bill O'Brien said in a statement. "As a staff, we are especially pleased for our players, who have proven themselves to be a resilient a group of young men. Penn State has long been known for graduating its student-athletes and providing them with a world-class education. The scholarship additions will allow us to provide more student-athletes with a tremendous opportunity to earn that degree and play football for Penn State.”

The NCAA has not made any changes to the Penn State being banned from postseason play, Joe Paterno’s 111 vacated wins or the $60 million fine levied the NCAA levied two years ago when the punishments were originally handed down.

The NCAA did say it might consider lifting the postseason ban in the future.

Still, this is a small victory for an institution that was slapped with some of the harshest sanctions ever imposed on a university.

“While there is more work to be done, Penn State has clearly demonstrated its commitment to restoring integrity in its athletics program,” said George Mitchell, the independent Athletics Integrity Monitor for Penn State and former U.S. Senator. “The university has substantially completed the initial implementation of all the Freeh Report recommendations and its obligations to the Athletics Integrity Agreement, so relief from the scholarship reductions is warranted and deserved.”

Since the sanctions were handed down, O’Brien, the family of the late Joe Paterno and several other Penn State supporters have been fighting to have the NCAA repeal its sanctions. Many believed the NCAA, at the behest of president Mark Emmert, overstepped its bounds by issuing the sanctions that were ultimately agreed upon by Penn State President Rodney Erickson. However, part of that consent decree was that the NCAA reserved the right to change the sanctions.

The reduction in scholarships is a tribute to the changes Penn State has made in its culture of abuse awareness and policy changes that would safeguard that university from having something like this happen again.

How would not having a football team kill Penn State?

The town would be significantly hurt. Not saying that it shouldn't happen or defending Penn State here, but football is a big deal to that school if you haven't noticed. A lot of money is brought in from it.

Branduil

The town would be significantly hurt. Not saying that it shouldn't happen or defending Penn State here, but football is a big deal to that school if you haven't noticed. A lot of money is brought in from it.

Well, actions should have consequences. And harboring a child rapist should have some pretty hefty consequences. Having a football team that brings in loads of money is not a right, it's a privilege, and they abused it beyond all bounds of human decency.

Well, actions should have consequences. And harboring a child rapist should have some pretty hefty consequences. Having a football team that brings in loads of money is not a right, it's a privilege, and they abused it beyond all bounds of human decency.

Literally everyone even remotely attached to the controversy is fired, dead or in jail.

Branduil

Literally everyone even remotely attached to the controversy is fired, dead or in jail.

The issue at Penn State goes beyond just the directly guilty individuals. This was a product of the toxic football culture present there, and if you look at any Penn State fan sites, it's obvious they haven't learned a thing.

How would not having a football team kill Penn State?

I agree entirely, but the problem here is that if you kill that team, you really do kill that school. And State College is basically a college town. No school, no more town. That is a whole lot of innocent people caught up in that. It's way too complicated to say 'no fuck you you don't get a team'.

Again, I think the situation is complete garbage, but if you nuke that town for the actions of the football staff, as crass as it sounds, you'll be ruining a whole lot more lives than you need to.

The issue at Penn State goes beyond just the directly guilty individuals. This was a product of the toxic football culture present there, and if you look at any Penn State fan sites, it's obvious they haven't learned a thing.

And if you're really going to have a go at people for being in denial about how tragic this thing is, I don't know what to tell you there.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Stay classy, Paterno family.

lol did you just edit this out of the OP so you could make another post?

I'm conflicted about this. While it is nice for Students who had no connection to the incident to have scholarships to go to school, it is still a bit early for the NCAA and how sports players in College get a lot of passes already. The coaches at these schools have people in the departments trained to pick out the easiest classes for their students and know which teachers are "Sympathetic" to sports players. This goes on at every school though, and even in sports you would think aren't very popular. It also helps that they can pick these classes 100% for their students since they do get first dibs at classes at every university.

I agree entirely, but the problem here is that if you kill that team, you really do kill that school. And State College is basically a college town. No school, no more town. That is a whole lot of innocent people caught up in that. It's way too complicated to say 'no fuck you you don't get a team'.

Again, I think the situation is complete garbage, but if you nuke that town for the actions of the football staff, as crass as it sounds, you'll be ruining a whole lot more lives than you need to.

And if you're really going to have a go at people for being in denial about how tragic this thing is, I don't know what to tell you there.

Not disagreeing at all. Just putting the other side out there. However I'm not sure if punishing the players and surrounding students, faculty, local area that was not involved in what happened is the proper move at this time. IDK the whole was a terrible, terrible tragedy.

inm8num2

lol did you just edit this out of the OP so you could make another post?

I edited it out of the OP because I realized the OP should just include the article texts and not a personal opinion on the Paternos, since the thread title is about the NCAA reinstating scholarships and not the Paternos.

Nice assumption, though. :)

Not disagreeing at all. Just putting the other side out there. However I'm not sure if punishing the players and surrounding students, faculty, local area that was not involved in what happened is the proper move at this time. IDK the whole was a terrible, terrible tragedy.

This is basically my opinion as well. I personally think it's way too early to even consider reinstating stuff for them, but if you remove that football team from Penn State, that school dies. The fact that it's literally a college town makes it even worse.

Basically imagine Varsity Blues, but in an entire fucking city D:

Hari Seldon

You could eliminate the PSU football team and not kill the entire school haha. In fact, as a former student, eliminating the football team would have reduced the amount of chaos considerably on football weekends. I would have preferred it.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

You can say the same thing about pretty much ANY school with a multi-million dollar football program. Heck, you can probably start saying it about some of those absurd high school football programs in Texas.

busterhighman

Neo Member

you could say that about any big football team. Fan sites are for the die-hards

inm8num2

Which is even more concerning. If this scandal happens at any of most Big Ten, Big Twelve, or $EC schools the school's fans probably react in a similar way. Paterno was a "legend" at PSU for so long so maybe the irrational denial and defense of his legacy wouldn't be as strong, but it would still happen.

Just look at how fans of rival teams react to news on a regular basis. I see this all the time with my alumni and our "rival":

Player on team A arrested:
"He made a mistake but they shouldn't suspend him." - team A fans
"What a scumbag. Suspend him. That program has no class just like their asshole coach." - team B fans.

Now switch it up - player on team B arrested for same thing:
"What a scumbag. Suspend him. That program has no class just like their asshole coach." - team A fans
"He made a mistake but they shouldn't suspend him." - team B fans.

Sports fandom is incredibly fickle.

xbhaskarx

The Penn State alumni, fans, students, administration, faculty, police, media, etc. that are part of the culture that places so much value on college football over raping innocent little kids are still alive. Let's wait until they're all dead a hundred years from now, and then we can revisit this...

They truly deserved the death penalty for last year and this.

They also shouldn't have any home games televised nationally.

inm8num2

They truly deserved the death penalty for last year and this.

They also shouldn't have any home games televised nationally.

Can't get in the way of that money-making machine that is PSU football, though.

The brand is too big and too important for the NCAA to ignore. If this were some D3 school they'd be wiped off the face of the planet. ;)

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
The Penn State alumni, fans, students, administration, faculty, police, media, etc. that are part of the culture that places so much value on college football over raping innocent little kids are still alive. Let's wait until they're all dead a hundred years from now, and then we can revisit this...

Oh yes, the tens of thousands of students through the whole thing that didn't give a crap about football are so much a part of this.

On the other hand, someone who probably had a lot more knowledge of the whole matter than he will ever let on is now governor of Pennsylvania.

Can't get in the way of that money-making machine that is PSU football, though.

The brand is too big and too important for the NCAA to ignore. If this were some D3 school they'd be wiped off the face of the planet. ;)

It's a joke, that entire community is a borderline cult.

Branduil

You can say the same thing about pretty much ANY school with a multi-million dollar football program. Heck, you can probably start saying it about some of those absurd high school football programs in Texas.

Which is exactly why it's so important to send the message that no football program is so big and important that it outweighs the crimes it is responsible for.

But screw that, there's money to be made.

inm8num2

It's a joke, that entire community is a borderline cult.

The whole PSU/Sandusky/Paterno affair was the last straw for me in following college football or even sports in general. My interest had waned over the past couple years, and I was never hardcore like some people are.

However, one simply can't ignore the myriad issues with how powerful these sports teams are, how much they get away with, and how corrupt and hypocritical the NCAA is.

It's an absolute joke, just like you said. I mean, for MONTHS people tried to defend Paterno. Two guys I knew who went to Penn State were in such denial. One of them said he cried when Paterno died.

Anybody who wasn't biased with fan allegiance knew from the minute the story leaked that the cover up was a group effort from top to bottom. Paterno was the king of that school for 3-4 decades. Winning some football games doesn't make you a "good person". A lot of college football fans said he got a "raw deal" when PSU fired him...

I have to stop myself now, though. I forgot how disgusted I was at the reaction to the Sandusky saga, and it wasn't even limited to PSU.

The whole PSU/Sandusky/Paterno affair was the last straw for me in following college football or even sports in general. My interest had waned over the past couple years, and I was never hardcore like some people are.

However, one simply can't ignore the myriad issues with how powerful these sports teams are, how much they get away with, and how corrupt and hypocritical the NCAA is.

It's an absolute joke, just like you said. I mean, for MONTHS people tried to defend Paterno. Two guys I knew who went to Penn State were in such denial. One of them said he cried when Paterno died.

Anybody who wasn't biased with fan allegiance knew from the minute the story leaked that the cover up was a group effort from top to bottom. Paterno was the king of that school for 3-4 decades. Winning some football games doesn't make you a "good person". A lot of college football fans said he got a "raw deal" when PSU fired him...

I have to stop myself now, though. I forgot how disgusted I was at the reaction to the Sandusky saga, and it wasn't even limited to PSU.

I lost it when this one PSU apologist I work with said he thought that Joe Pa purposely refused medical treatment to die sooner and take secrets to the grave to protect the name PSU stands for.

Karakand

The NCAA is a big organization that makes a lot of money, I'm sure they could have relocated some administrative functions to keep the economy of State College buoyant while their local university received punishments commensurate with their crimes.

See what makes no sense to me is this;

Every player that was on the team when the sanctions were levied down were given the chance to transfer to any school they want without losing eligibility.

Every recruit was told up front about the sanctions and the fact they most likely will never go to a bowl game.

There was no bait and switch, it was cut and dry.

Oh yes, the tens of thousands of students through the whole thing that didn't give a crap about football are so much a part of this.

On the other hand, someone who probably had a lot more knowledge of the whole matter than he will ever let on is now governor of Pennsylvania.

Pretty much. Penn State was/is quite a prestigious school, even with this hanging over it's head.

And Corbett is a butt.

Which is exactly why it's so important to send the message that no football program is so big and important that it outweighs the crimes it is responsible for.

But screw that, there's money to be made.

You are advocating the destruction of an entire town over the actions of few. You must see how that is an extremely rash move to do.

Someone in here said it wouldn't affect Penn State to lose the football team. They are wrong. You cannot in good faith think that killing the careers/destroying the lives of thousands of people who had nothing to do with the situation at hand is a balanced punishment for the horrible situation that happened.

Forever

Banned
You are advocating the destruction of an entire town over the actions of few. You must see how that is an extremely rash move to do.

Someone in here said it wouldn't affect Penn State to lose the football team. They are wrong. You cannot in good faith think that killing the careers/destroying the lives of thousands of people who had nothing to do with the situation at hand is a balanced punishment for the horrible situation that happened.

Those people are not the victims. They are part of the sick culture that enabled systemic child rape and protected its perpetrators. It's true that the scandal itself only implicated the administration, but the response to the scandal implicated the whole school.

They had their chance to show where they stood as a community, and boy did they ever show it. They should have fallen on their sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom