• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State trustee 'running out of sympathy' for 'so-called' Jerry Sandusky victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

br3wnor

Eject the people around the program but why punish the kids?

You wouldn't be punishing the kids (players at least), they'd just go to other schools to play football. You're punishing the alumni who contribute a lot of money and did everything in their power to make sure the program stayed around so they could keep the 'legacy' going.

I have a FB 'friend' who went to PSU and it's insane how much of a cult they have around the football program. Even during the scandal she'd be posting crap about the integrity of the program and trying to deflect blame. Whole thing is disgusting, the program should have been nuked.

Sephzilla

Make a point with people who had ZERO to do with the heinous crimes? Makes sense.

I hate this argument.

The school is still actively benefiting from the legacy of Paterno and Sandusky. Allow the students to transfer without penalty, but still punish the school that's still raking in cash because of the people who committed those crimes.

You wouldn't be punishing the kids (players at least), they'd just go to other schools to play football. You're punishing the alumni who contribute a lot of money and did everything in their power to make sure the program stayed around so they could keep the 'legacy' going.

I have a FB 'friend' who went to PSU and it's insane how much of a cult they have around the football program. Even during the scandal she'd be posting crap about the integrity of the program and trying to deflect blame. Whole thing is disgusting, the program should have been nuked.
I hope you realize that when most players transfer they rarely get a chance to participate at the level they would have otherwise. Also, the relocation and uprooting of their lives is so insignificant, right?
I'm all for the decimation of the cowards that hide behind and refuse to admit what happened with the program, but tearing these teenagers dreams apart isn't the answer.

Let's put this in perspective: you are at your dream job for 2 years. Everything is going well, and then one day, boom, you're on your ass, for something you had NOTHING to do with. You'd be okay with that? I doubt it.

WedgeX

Banned
I hope you realize that when most players transfer they rarely get a chance to participate at the level they would have otherwise. Also, the relocation and uprooting of their lives is so insignificant, right?
I'm all for the decimation of the cowards that hide behind and refuse to admit what happened with the program, but tearing these teenagers dreams apart isn't the answer.

Let's put this in perspective: you are at your dream job for 2 years. Everything is going well, and then one day, boom, you're on your ass, for something you had NOTHING to do with. You'd be okay with that? I doubt it.

If the dream job was secretly protecting a pedophile actively abusing children?

Hell yes I'd be okay with it all being shut down.

foxdvd

They are apart of a football program that protected child rapists for decades. The program needs to die.

The program is not a living thing that needs to be punished. EVERY one involved in this needs to see jail time. They need to be fired. They need to never work with kids ever again. There needs to be a probe and the system needs to be cleaned....Anyone caught hiding evidence or not helping should be removed...

But future Penn State students who had nothing to do with this should not be punished. The thousands of employees who do everything from janitorial work to IT should not be punished or lose their jobs. Nuking the program would have repercussions on people who are really honestly 100% innocent of any wrong doing.

The program is not a living thing that needs to be punished. EVERY one involved in this needs to see jail time. They need to be fired. They need to never work with kids ever again. There needs to be a probe and the system needs to be cleaned....Anyone caught hiding evidence or not helping should be removed...

But future Penn State students who had nothing to do with this should not be punished. The thousands of employees who do everything from janitorial work to IT should not be punished or lose their jobs. Nuking the program would have repercussions on people who are really honestly 100% innocent of any wrong doing.
At least someone here doesn't have the answer of 'burn it all down, lol'.

Embarrassed to be a Penn State graduate. I used to have sympathy for some of the people - namely the kids that were there when the news first broke - and I have no quarrel with the random students.

But fucking kill the football program (or suspend it for a long period). It's toxic and only serves to give no-life townies a vague purpose in life.

Well that's just too fuckin bad. Penn State covered up a serial child rapist for the sake of their football program, therefore they simply should not have one. So far you aren't suggesting an alternative punishment that fits that crime, leading me to think you believe they shouldn't receive any punishment.

Bert409

The school/town would go on just fine without the football program. Maybe some hotels and some of the lame Penn State merch stores would go out of business but that's about it.

Dude Abides

Banned

Not having a football team to root for is hardly a tragedy. And future students can go to another school if football is that important.

Sephzilla

College football is a privilege, not a right. Because of the shit Penn State did they should lose that privilege. Those kids and coaches whom had nothing to do with it can participate in football elsewhere and likely would find roles on other teams. Alternatively a lot of the students could continue receiving a free or discounted education. The university that covered it up should no longer be allowed to massively benefit from the legacy of the people who participated in that cover up.

Well that's just too fuckin bad. Penn State covered up a serial child rapist for the sake of their football program, therefore they simply should not have one. So far you aren't suggesting an alternative punishment that fits that crime, leading me to think you believe they shouldn't receive any punishment.
You're pretty good at the 'jumping to conclusions' game, aren't you?
I said before the people should be ousted from the program, along with further criminal penalties. But it's a childish attitude to knock all the blocks down and not care what happens with all the items within the blocks.

Sephzilla

I said before the people should be ousted from the program, along with further criminal penalties. But it's a childish attitude to knock all the blocks down and not care what happens with all the items within the blocks.

Why should Penn State University be allowed to continue to benefit financially because of a group of people who covered up serial child rape? Literally everything associated to the legacy of Penn State football goes through them.

Why should Penn State University be allowed to continue to benefit financially because of a group of people who covered up serial child rape? Literally everything associated to the legacy of Penn State football goes through them.
They should, for the next 5 years, take all profits from the football program and donate them to programs that rehabilitate victims of sex abuse.

Not having a football team to root for is hardly a tragedy. And future students can go to another school if football is that important.
Exactly. It's gross when words like "punishment" and "suffering" are associated with the players and fans because they missed a few bowl games. It only exemplifies even more how some people continue to put football on a pedestal above all else.

Apdiddy

But it's a childish attitude to knock all the blocks down and not care what happens with all the items within the blocks.

This is how Penn State Fans acted to some of the smallest changes made in the wake of the scandal.

This is how the alumni acted in the wake of the sanctions 5 years later the alumni group is still circulating their victim complexes and truther conspiracy theories.

And this story is just the latest example of the behavior from the board of trustees.

But no, it's my reaction to their blind, gleeful complicity with decades of repeated child rape because watching their fun sport is more important that is problematic. Sure.

Sephzilla

This is how Penn State Fans acted to some of the smallest changes made in the wake of the scandal.

This is how the alumni acted in the wake of the sanctions 5 years later the alumni group is still circulating their victim complexes and truther conspiracy theories.

And this story is just the latest example of the behavior from the board of trustees.

But no, it's my reaction to their blind, gleeful complicity with decades of repeated child rape because watching their fun sport is more important that is problematic. Sure.

giphy.gif

Trying to say the issues/problems/crimes against Penn State are only a thing of the past and that you shouldn't punish the present day athletes/fans is a really flawed opinion when you step back and realize the entire toxic culture that lead to that cover up still exists today in Penn State's fans, in the people who donate to the university, and likely a lot of the people still working at the university. By that road, Penn State is still absolutely benefiting from the actions of a sex offender cover up and this is why Penn State's football program needs to be shut down. This kind of culture should in no way be tolerated and allowed to thrive in college athletics.

BajiBoxer

Banned

The culture around the football program is a fundamental cause of the whole scandal. It's not just a few bad apples. The program doesn't have to be completely eliminated to "nuke it" though. SMU still has a football program today, for example.

Trying to say the issues/problems/crimes against Penn State are only a thing of the past and that you shouldn't punish the present day athletes/fans is a really flawed opinion when you step back and realize the entire toxic culture that lead to that cover up still exists today in Penn State's fans, in the people who donate to the university, and likely a lot of the people still working at the university. By that road, Penn State is still absolutely benefiting from the actions of a sex offender cover up and this is why Penn State's football program needs to be shut down. This kind of culture should in no way be tolerated and allowed to thrive in college athletics.
And the thing is, this trustee is only echoing what some in the fanbase actually believe. I used to think/hope this was just a very vocal, nutty minority of PSU fans but I'm not so sure anymore. Living in Pittsburgh, I've seen some people who actually think Sandusky is innocent, because in their warped minds that would somehow exonerate their hero JoePa.

The culture around the football program is a fundamental cause of the whole scandal. It's not just a few bad apples. The program doesn't have to be completely eliminated to "nuke it" though. SMU still has a football program today, for example.
But won't you think of those poor fans?! What will they do without their football!??

Eject the people around the program but why punish the kids?

The NCAA absolutely has the power to grant transfers to the entire PSU roster in the event of the death penalty. They've done it before for far less.

Every time they play an away game, the home stadium should do something to call them out.

While I do not think all of Penn State is bad, alot of what is still there is saddening to say the least. It's pretty much a divide of the academic side and the athletics. While I was still there there where plenty of places in and around the campus that would sell 401 and Paterno items. It was freaky to know what went down, and then have a good amount of the population just ignore that it happened.

Ishan

I get letters from the Alumni association i'm no longer part of almost every month now. It used to be yearly.

I wonder if Happy Valley is feeling what little repercussion there has been at all. It doesn't really seem like it to be honest. Ending the program would have destroyed the local economy for sure though.
Not really local economy is based on number of students not the football team . It's not like ppl will stop eating going to bars buying clothes etc if the football team shuts down .

Ishan

While I do not think all of Penn State is bad, alot of what is still there is saddening to say the least. It's pretty much a divide of the academic side and the athletics. While I was still there there where plenty of places in and around the campus that would sell 401 and Paterno items. It was freaky to know what went down, and then have a good amount of the population just ignore that it happened.
I've kind of given up on trying to explain to ppl who just say fuck you to all of penn state and do not realize this divide between academics and altheletics including the huge graduate population most of which could give two fucks about the football program or if it was nuked . But online ppl just paint with a broad brush .

On topic this guy is wacko . So what if the abused person is rich . He was abused and deserves the compensation .

Futureman

This guy is a former chief executive of Sallie Mae. FUCK HIM and his callous comments on children who were sexually abused.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

The football program itself is what caused the issues. It became bigger than things like child abuse, rape and all that and a lot of people still don't want to admit JoePa was harboring a serial child rapist for decades along with much of the higher ups and administrators. The program needs to burn because the program is a cancer, a money making cult like cancer that people can't get over.

I feel bad for any football players who get a raw deal from this but I feel far far far worse about all those innocents being violated just so Penn State could win some championships. Giving them a slap on the wrist, which is what I consider the punishment they got, just says they are free to keep on doing what they've been doing and scorching it to the Earth and punishing all those involved over the years sends a much more direct message that they won't be able to brush off.

How are they 'a part' of the football program that protected the assholes that did it for decades? They are 18-19 years old.

See above.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Shocking that there's still penn state apologists around.

Suddenly student athletes matter when you use them to paint as potential victims to any possible sanctions. If that line of thinking was actually worth a shit then no program would ever get any sanctions.

I went to Penn State and still root for the football team. I'd really like to see the institution move beyond this, but shit like this is ridiculous. This guy is an asshole and makes me sick. I often argue with people who defend joepa and anyone else involved. I usually end up telling them that they wouldn't be making the argument that they are if it was their child. That typically shuts them up. Anyway, this is not how you move on and show that you deserve to still exist. It's sad. I have plenty of sympathy for the victims and always will.

Jackpot

Banned

If it was because my "dream job" was at a company that turned out to be a front for crime, then yes of course. What kind of stupid question is that?

Jonsoncao

Banned

I am a researcher at Penn State right now. AFAIK football program is important not only because its gravitation towards future students. One thing good about the football program is: if an endowment is made to the football program, certain portion of it has to be allocated among academic research and infrastructure fundings.

It really wouldn't though, it's a thriving town even in the summer.

Oh, I didn't mean State College directly. I think it would have hurt smaller places like Lewistown and Bellefonte a little bit. Huntingdon has Lake Raystown for tourism so it would be fine.

Eh you're probably right.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
you know, its a big organization. If they had just, you know, acted even a little bit fucking remorseful we could get past this. Time and time again though they act like they are the victims. Say what you will about WWE and its carny ass, at least they fucking wiped Benoit from the records. Penn State would have given him a fucking statue.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
you know, its a big organization. If they had just, you know, acted even a little bit fucking remorseful we could get past this. Time and time again though they act like they are the victims. Say what you will about WWE and its carny ass, at least they fucking wiped Benoit from the records. Penn State would have given him a fucking statue.

I'm waiting for them to rename the team The Penn State JoePas or some nonsense.

Make a point with people who had ZERO to do with the heinous crimes? Makes sense.
And like SMU these kids can either go to another school to play ball right away or stay at pedo U and graduate.

They aren't being punished. And there was and is no other way to make that school learn that this isn't acceptable.

What other penalty should and could be levied to get that this is a disgusting heinous act?

ShyMel

How awful. The university got to keep the program but people can't even be sympathetic to the victims. Having a nice salary will not prevent the effects of being molested from impacting the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom