• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn State trustee 'running out of sympathy' for 'so-called' Jerry Sandusky victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

BajiBoxer

Banned
A current trustee at Penn State said in an email to The Chronicle of Higher Education that he is losing sympathy for the "so-called victims" of sexual abuse by former Nittany Lions assistant Jerry Sandusky.

The email was sent to The Chronicle over the weekend and published Thursday as part of a look at the scandal's continuing aftermath.

Last week, former Penn State president Graham Spanier was found guilty of one count of child endangerment over his handling of a child sex abuse complaint against Sandusky.

The next day, trustee Albert L. Lord emailed The Chronicle:

"Running out of sympathy for 35 yr old, so-called victims with 7 digit net worth," Lord wrote. "Do not understand why they were so prominent in trial. As you learned, Graham Spanier never knew Sandusky abused anyone."

Penn State reportedly has paid out settlements of $90 million-plus to Sandusky

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...rustee-little-sympathy-jerry-sandusky-victims

So... fuck Penn State sports, and fuck this guy. I know some of us get really into our sports teams, but it's still a god damn game at the end of the day. I can't believe assholes associated with the university are still defending people involved in a child rape coverup.

This is why they deserved nothing less than the death penalty, and this is exactly why the NCAA is up there with the IOC and FIFA as the most deliberately amoral bodies in the world of sports.

Machina

Banned
"Running out of sympathy for 35 yr old, so-called victims with 7 digit net worth"

What the fuck am I reading? You're financially well off so suck it up?

watershed

Banned
The whole cult of Penn State Sandusky deniers/people who downplay what he did and everyone who knew and hid the truth are disgusting. Literally prioritizing sports over sexual abuse of children.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This fucking place and supporters. Jesus fucking christ.

"You have money now so suck it up that you were molested!"

Wall

Albert "Lord" is living proof that being a high functioning sociopath is an asset for some people. Truely one of the most loathesome individiduals I've ever read about - like a character in a Dickens novel.

IrishNinja

The whole cult of Penn State Sandusky deniers/people who downplay what he did and everyone who knew and hid the truth are disgusting. Literally prioritizing sports over sexual abuse of children.

NCAA should've nuked their football program.

^
tired of hearing about just how much joe/the team means to people out there - none of it adds up to shit compared to what was done here, take a step back or reexamine your life

drspeedy

^
tired of hearing about just how much joe/the team means to people out there - none of it adds up to shit compared to what was done here, take a step back or reexamine your life

PSU football is more like a religion for folks than any other college team I've seen. Even die hard Ohio State or Bama fans don't really reach the same fervor over their team as Penn State. Losing bowl eligibility and JoePa at the same time was huge, it sent lots of people into a fury that continues to this day, despite legal findings our NCAA overturning the ban.

PSU football is more like a religion for folks than any other college team I've seen. Even die hard Ohio State or Bama fans don't really reach the same fervor over their team as Penn State. Losing bowl eligibility and JoePa at the same time was huge, it sent lots of people into a fury that continues to this day, despite legal findings our NCAA overturning the ban.
I grew up in Texas where football IS life.

And we still have a god damn line in the sand and sexual abuse of children (and, hopefully soon, rape at Baylor). This shit is an affront and Penn State fans and alumnus that support this affront to basic human decency are exactly what's wrong with modern sports.

Mr. X

Basically "boohoo you were abused as a kid and now you're rich. How terrible it must be." is what I'm getting from them.

Mortemis

Banned
Penn State's football program should be dead and gone. No other compromises. Fuck the NCAA until they correct that.

This guy is a piece of shit, morals always go out the door when it comes to money (and of course football for penn state fans).

RulkezX

If it follows the same pattern as it did in Scotland , the next stage is for PSU fans to react with disgust whenever it's mentioned and to accuse everyone else of disrespecting the victims/ trivialising child abuse just to score points over them.

I feel like I have to bring this up each time this story comes up, but the truth of the matter is that the NCAA couldn't have given Penn State the death penalty even if they wanted to (and let's be clear that they didn't want to) because, as heinous as all this was, it's outside of the purview of NCAA bylaws (which is why the end charge was Lack of Institutional Control, the area they throw things when they don't know where else to put it). Just like if Baylor football were going to be shut down, it would probably have to end up being a Title IX issue and not an NCAA issue.

Brakke

Banned
Penn State reportedly has paid out settlements of $90 million-plus to Sandusky

Last sentence of the excerpt in the OP there leaves out a very important word. $90 to Sandusky accusers. For a second there I thought there must've been some profound fuckery I'd missed.

BajiBoxer

Banned
I feel like I have to bring this up each time this story comes up, but the truth of the matter is that the NCAA couldn't have given Penn State the death penalty even if they wanted to (and let's be clear that they didn't want to) because, as heinous as all this was, it's outside of the purview of NCAA bylaws (which is why the end charge was Lack of Institutional Control, the area they throw things when they don't know where else to put it). Just like if Baylor football were going to be shut down, it would probably have to end up being a Title IX issue and not an NCAA issue.

I don't think this is actually true. A lot of this isn't written down, and is arbitrarily decided. Football coaches and athletic director covering up child rape to not hurt the football team absolutely is something the NCAA can deal with as they see fit.

Slayven

I don't think this is actually true. A lot of this isn't written down, and is arbitrarily decided. Football coaches and athletic director covering up child rape to not hurt the football team absolutely is something the NCAA can deal with as they see fit.

Let a student athlete talk to the wrong person and the NCAA will come down like an angry god.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I know a few people who went to Penn State and joined the football cult and some of the things I've heard them say are down right heinous and disgusting. I try to avoid talking about anything relating to sports at all with them as it almost always comes up in some form and its always defending Sandusky and JoePa.

Draxal

He's right about this but wrong about Baylor. The thing with Baylor is that OCR trumps the NCAA in that regard.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
If the Penn State alumni and football fans online are any indication, this guy is just reflecting their views.

It doesn't truly fix the core problem by either changing the leadership at the university or by implementing new policies and procedures when your alumni donation base and football fan base don't believe there was any wrong doing. The only way to completely erode that cancerous perspective would have been to nuke the football program.

But instead in the history of the NCAA, paying players (which should happen across the board anyway in football) is still a bigger sin than systematically covering up child abuse because football is that important.

I get letters from the Alumni association i'm no longer part of almost every month now. It used to be yearly.

I wonder if Happy Valley is feeling what little repercussion there has been at all. It doesn't really seem like it to be honest. Ending the program would have destroyed the local economy for sure though.

Admodieus

This is par for the course for Penn State supporters/fans/alumni. They think the issue is over with and everybody should move on, despite the fact that there were no changes made to address the underlying issues that created the environment and culture where such crimes took place.

The problem is institutional. The university and its network of alumni and students seem to be incapable of any type of self-reflection about the incident, instead thinking that they themselves are the victims for losing out on some bowl games and wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom