• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ND Got GAF Feedback Re: UC3 Aiming Issues, Cutscene Viewer, Animation Changes Coming

Mit-

darkwing said:
so there's an aiming problem in MP too? lol then why do people want to copy the MP aiming
Apparently sniper scopes are messed up. Not sure about the rest of the guns.

simtmb

Good stuff. As a gamer and developer, would of been such a treat to visit the studio.

If only i didn't live in Australia XD

jett said:
Yeah, the game had weird artifacting on the edges of the screen, green and purple boxes on would show op randomly in the corners. They fixed that with a patch, but unfortunately those errors were recorded in all of the FMV cut-scenes, LOL. How the hell did nobody at ND notice that is beyond me.

I had assumed that this wasn't a universal issue, was it? If it isn't it's easy to understand why they miss this kind of bugs.

Mit-

"With Uncharted 2 it was pretty much guaranteed you would aim in one of the 8 directions and it was hard to deviate from that (imagine it being almost like a traditional 8-way arcade stick). With Uncharted 3, you can deviate from the straight path from each of the 8 directions much easier and more precisely."

I really want to know Arne's explanation for that, because it's obviously bullshit. In UC3, you still only aim in 8 directions (atleast in singleplayer), you can NEVER deviate from those paths, and once you deviate from a diagonal direction, it's pretty much impossible to get BACK to a diagonal from the regular x and y axis.

It's like playing on an NES d-pad. That can only recognize one direction at a time. No corners.

Rocwell

Sorry if this was mentioned already since I haven't read the whole thread but has anyone else noticed that the left stick movement seems to be having similar problems to the aiming? It feels that way to me anyway. I was having trouble turning around corners in the first few areas and even blew a few jumps it felt like I shouldn't have.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I trust GAF's judgement... but my honest experience is that I haven't noticed a single problem. Almost finished the game.

It's weird how it's gamebreaking for people, since I don't even notice... But I accept that it must be, based on the level of outcry.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
I just popped it UC2 and immediately noticed the per-object motion blur when Drake moves. It is completely absent in UC3 for some odd reason. I wonder if they'll tell me why, or if they can reimplement it ;-)

Anyway aiming in UC2 is a lot more precise, but seems to also have that issue with the square movement while rotating the stick, its just less noticeable since there isn't any weird acceleration going on when precisely aiming. I think someone in this thread mentioned this before.

kneePat

AwesomeSauce said:
I just popped it UC2 and immediately noticed the per-object motion blur when Drake moves. It is completely absent in UC3 for some odd reason. I wonder if they'll tell me why, or if they can reimplement it ;-)

Anyway aiming in UC2 is a lot more precise, but seems to also have that issue with the square movement while rotating the stick, its just less noticeable since there isn't any weird acceleration going on when precisely aiming. I think someone in this thread mentioned this before.

Do the circle test in both games. Go up to a wall and do small tight circles (keep the speed relatively smooth and the way I tested was I only looked at the controller while I recorded the TV and then played both videos back after) with the analog while holding L1 and see if you get circles or squares. Its clearly much squarer in UC3. Also hold in one direction (left or right) in UC3 for 3-4 seconds and then go diagonally slowly whole still holding the stick to the left or right, you will notice how unresponsive this action is as it refuses to come off this 'baseline' till the stick is 45 degrees. Finally, try to make triangles in both games and repeat the process and notice the smoothness and ease in UC2 over UC3, even starting diagonally in UC3 requires a very exact position of the stick otherwise it may assume you want an angle but a very horizontally or vertically preferred one.

Also input lag is most notable with melee, stand still and tap square to see this.

Another test I did was a 'whirlpool test', pick a point and aim away from it then do circles around this point and then gradually close in on the point. Basically to see if you can correct your aim, and it becomes apparent in UC2 that if you overshoot high/low or left and right you can correct much more easily.

Man I should probably just make a video of all this stuff. The key is also to never take your thumb of that analog stick to see the issues we're experiencing in a more pronounced way.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
who ever goes there please please point that some enemies to react to bullets this was not the case in U2
Hazaro said:
You'll have to elaborate on your point more and be specific.
there is no stopping power to bullets, when I shoot those guys my bullets should slow them down make them stop moving and they should react like enemies in U2 or any other shooter out there but they just absorb the bullets here

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
daxter01 said:
who ever goes there please please point that some enemies to react to bullets this was not the case in U2
You'll have to elaborate on your point more and be specific.

I wish TTP could go. He makes excellent videos and digs deep to find and clearly show certain issues.

But yeah...... Italy

Edit: would it help if people posted a checklist?
- issues: yes/no
- ps3 version: launch, slim, 80gb, etc.
- pal version, u.s. Version, etc
- tv: lcd or plasma
- did you play Uncharted 2 to compare?
- other stuff?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
chris0701 said:
Video analysis suggests the input lag of UC3 is up to 240ms,which was perfect 133 ms from UC2.
Hmm wow. Hard to know since you have to subtract the lag generated by TV, but if it's true that the same video shows much less lag on UC2, then there's probably something to it. It would be pretty crap if the whole aiming problem is actually stemming from the input lag. I just looked for this in UC3, and while there's some noticeable lag for example for pressing square to punch (which could be just an intended timing for the transition for all I know) I couldn't notice that it was any different for general movement control, like pressing X to jump onto things, navigating around etc.

Someone should measure lag in MP vs. SP for identical actions. That could really be it. Oh an yeah, aiming from MP is basically exactly what SP needs.

I don't get it. Why do they want people to come into their studio. If they know what the issue is, why would they need people to demonstrate it for them?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Son.Ralph.Funk said:
I don't get it. Why do they want people to come into their studio. If they know what the issue is, why would they need people to demonstrate it for them?
To do some tweaks, and have the person confirm that "that's it"?

Lord Error said:
To do some tweaks, and have the person confirm that "that's it"?

It'll be interesting to see what they are looking for from players. Maybe they just want an impromptu focus group type of thing before they implement a patch or something. Maybe they already have a couple different configurations ready to go, and want to get a heads-up from the players on which feels better/more like UC2. We'll know by tomorrow afternoon, I guess.

Hope they fix it. I've put SP UC3 on hold for the time being.

darkwing

CartridgeBlower said:
It'll be interesting to see what they are looking for from players. Maybe they just want an impromptu focus group type of thing before they implement a patch or something. Maybe they already have a couple different configurations ready to go, and want to get a heads-up from the players on which feels better/more like UC2. We'll know by tomorrow afternoon, I guess.

Hope they fix it. I've put SP UC3 on hold for the time being.

well, if it's still 'screwy', then we have GAF to blame lol

BocoDragon said:
I trust GAF's judgement... but my honest experience is that I haven't noticed a single problem. Almost finished the game.

It's weird how it's gamebreaking for people, since I don't even notice... But I accept that it must be, based on the level of outcry.

How much time did you spend playing U2?

I played the SP over 15 times and put over 400hrs into the MP -- hell, even disregarding U2 -- I probably put ~100hrs into the U3 beta and Subway; I notice everything.

I wish I could go down to the studio (I'm only about an hour away) but I have no way to get there and back.

I don't understand why they need to get someone from here in to their offices to explain what's wrong with it. Surely from what they've read here and seen in the videos it's pretty clear what the issues are.

"The reticule tends to slow down when over an enemy, like some kind of auto-aim. This seems confusing and difficult to compensate for when lining up head shots."

This is the only issue i have, it's really difficult to go for headshots as the enemies are very lively in this game. Always moving and dodging. And the slowdown messes up my alignment :/ Adding this slowdown effect as an "aim assist on/off" in the options would make a lot of people happy :D

RyanardoDaVinci said:
How much time did you spend playing U2?

I played the SP over 15 times and put over 400hrs into the MP -- hell, even disregarding U2 -- I probably put ~100hrs into the U3 beta and Subway; I notice everything.

I wish I could go down to the studio (I'm only about an hour away) but I have no way to get there and back.
Again, would it be wise to post and fill in a checklist?

Something like:
- other stuff?

kneePat

Always-honest said:
Again, would it be wise to post and fill in a checklist?

Something like:
- other stuff?

Arne has said they believe the problem is not derived from varying hardware configurations (I think they are able to recreate the 'problem')

(OP guy here)

Finally I actually jumped into Uncharted 2 again, playing on Crushing for the first time, to pass the time. I've beaten the game on Normal and Hard before (2 years ago). Played from the beginning through Borneo this time.

Man.

It's just controlling sooooooooooooooooo much better. I'm not, like, an amazing player. I can't headshot people all over the place... sometimes but not all the time. But I can line up fire and get an enemy's head caught in the reticule, meet people with gunfire, fire a pistol from far away... all things that in Uncharted 3 seem much harder -- on Normal.

The 8 directions of motion are, I'm pretty sure, there in U2 as in U3 (as jett said), except that in U2 it's easy to change direction instantly, thus giving pretty much complete aiming freedom. (I'm guessing that's really how most TPS work?) In U3 once you start in one of the directions it's hard to change course. And then there's the auto-aim... but I'm repeating myself.

I know I'm not saying anything new that someone else hasn't said, but still feel I should chime in.

Hyuga

Banned
Hm, I should play UC2 again and afterwards U3 (again).
Maybe I will "recognize" it.
btw. Cool move, Naughty Dogs!

Hyuga said:
Hm, I should play UC2 again and afterwards U3 (again).
Maybe I will "recognize" it.

It's so blatant. Just fight through Borneo and a larger (less close-quarters) battle in U3 and compare. If you don't notice a glaring difference I'll be shocked.

kneePat

RedRedSuit said:
It's so blatant. Just fight through Borneo and a larger (less close-quarters) battle in U3 and compare. If you don't notice a glaring difference I'll be shocked.

Just like all the people that are 'shocked' when we even make the slightest mention of the issue. :p

I'm pretty convinced the issue affects everyone, but perception and the degree to which this happens has many variables. Still odd about reviews not mentioning so much as a fraction of this issue, you'd think someone would have replayed UC2 right before they reviewed the game.

kneePat said:
Just like all the people that are 'shocked' when we even make the slightest mention of the issue. :p

I'm pretty convinced the issue affects everyone, but perception and the degree to which this happens has variables.

No doubt. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not shocked if someone says "aiming is fine." But I am shocked if someone plays the two one after the other and notices no glaring difference.

kneePat

RedRedSuit said:
No doubt. I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not shocked if someone says "aiming is fine." But I am shocked if someone plays the two one after the other and
notices no glaring difference.

I am shocked when someone says aiming is fine. :p

Probably because I find it a pretty big deal and want it so much to be like it used to be (bliss) but I just assume when they say aiming is fine they really mean they just don't NOTICE IT and not that it doesn't exist (that's what it must be, right?) so yeah you're right.

Son.Ralph.Funk said:

Free publicity.

Either way its pretty neat to get invited down.

tigerin

Wrestlemania said:
I don't understand why they need to get someone from here in to their offices to explain what's wrong with it. Surely from what they've read here and seen in the videos it's pretty clear what the issues are.
Stop complaining already. At least they are looking into the issues.

Feature

Banned
I read the thread about the aiming problem before I booted up my Uncharted 3 game. Ofcourse I noticed it right away. But I'm not sure if it's because I knew about it beforehand or not. I'm not one to be picky on that sort of stuff. Same goes with screen tearing and 30 fps / 60 fps.

StuBurns

Banned
darkwing said:
people complaining ND invited people to go to their studio to show the problem?

never change GAF :|
It seems more like a calming PR move than a design revision request to me. ND have UC2 for camparison, they've played UC3 more than any GAFfer, they have to know the issue better than anyone they can bring in.

hamchan

Did anyone take the offer? If I lived anywhere near Naughty Dog I'd take it instantly. Not an opportunity to be missed for sure.

Shurs

StuBurns said:
It seems more like a calming PR move than a design revision request to me. ND have UC2 for camparison, they've played UC3 more than any GAFfer, they have to know the issue better than anyone they can bring in.

Exactly.

jett

D-Member
fortified_concept said:
I had assumed that this wasn't a universal issue, was it? If it isn't it's easy to understand why they miss this kind of bugs.
It is a universal issue, every single Uncharted 2 copy suffers from it, it's just that if you aren't using full pixel display you won't see them. Anyway, one of the perils of using FMV. ND baked their bugs into every cut-scene.

darkwing said:
people complaining ND invited people to go to their studio to show the problem?

never change GAF :|
I'm not complaining, it just seems like a bizarre way of fixing the problem. Can they really not see it themselves?

alexfont

Neo Member
Yesterday I said I didn't get the issue but its not true. After getting into more chapters in the game I do notice the aiming problem. It doesn't occur always, but some times, we can't go in diagonal, but instead it stuck in one axis (horizontal or vertical).

I will try to reduce the sensibility to see if it will reduce this behavior.

Owensboro

Feature said:
I read the thread about the aiming problem before I booted up my Uncharted 3 game. Ofcourse I noticed it right away. But I'm not sure if it's because I knew about it beforehand or not. I'm not one to be picky on that sort of stuff. Same goes with screen tearing and 30 fps / 60 fps.

I didn't even know this was happening to other people until just now when I saw the thread. I started UC3 yesterday afternoon and immediately noticed that something was different about the controls but had no idea what. I thought it was just the sensitivity being to low, but when I pumped that up I was having problems overcompensating. I just beat UC2 on Crushing around 2 months ago so I chalked it up to being a little rusty.

I'm currently around chapter 12 on Hard so adjusting to it is no big problem, I just don't get as many headshots and my sniper rifle accuracy is garbage. As in, sometimes I can't hit one moving enemy that is far away with 5+ shots. This didn't used to be a problem in UC2... was there more aim assist or something?

darkwing

Wrestlemania said:
I'm not complaining, it just seems like a bizarre way of fixing the problem. Can they really not see it themselves?
nope, just like reviews don't say it, different strokes.for different folks, doesn't affect me as much as other people, but people want UC2 style

StuBurns said:

This.

Top Bottom