• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need a PS3 Wireless headset recommendation

molnizzle

Do you only play Sony platforms?

If yes, go with one of the two you linked.

If no, you'll probably want to find a different solution. There are many out there at varying price points. I got a great deal on a pair of these last year and absolutely love them. For what I paid ($59 US), there's no better value. I get wireless audio for anything I play on my TV and game chat in 360, PS3 and Wii U games (probably PS4 as well). I love being able to simply flip up the mic to mute myself also. Really easy to switch back and forth. Very comfortable too. Great headset!

todahawk

I have the Sony wireless stereo headset and I love it. The sound quality is very good and it's very comfy (even when I'm wearing my glasses). Don't own the other pair so I can't compare but I use mine a lot. Even for movies and such as it cuts out the speaker audio the second you turn them on so you won't disturb anyone else (very handy at night).

Hope that helps some!

Go_Ly_Dow

Do you only play Sony platforms?

If yes, go with one of the two you linked.

If no, you'll probably want to find a different solution. There are many out there at varying price points. I got a great deal on a pair of these last year and absolutely love them. For what I paid ($59 US), there's no better value. I get wireless audio for anything I play on my TV and game chat in 360, PS3 and Wii U games (probably PS4 as well). I love being able to simply flip up the mic to mute myself also. Really easy to switch back and forth. Very comfortable too. Great headset!

Yes. Will go from PS3 > PS4 at some point next year.

I have the Sony wireless stereo headset and I love it. The sound quality is very good and it's very comfy (even when I'm wearing my glasses). Don't own the other pair so I can't compare but I use mine a lot. Even for movies and such as it cuts out the speaker audio the second you turn them on so you won't disturb anyone else (very handy at night).

Hope that helps some!

Awesome (do you mean the Pulse or Standard?)

Addnan

Assuming you are in the UK GameStop.co.uk has the pulse for £79.97 last time I checked. Site is really slow right now.

Bailers

I have the Sony stereo set, and I'm very happy with them. The is great, at least to someone who's not an audiophile. The slider for sound vs chat levels is easy to adjust.

My only complaint is the annoying blue light on the end of the Mic. You don't really notice it while playing in game, but I have been distracted while watching cut scenes or movies where I'm not so tunnel visioned. I think the pulse elite changes that, but you might want to check.

Mung

As I said in another thread, the pulse elites are great. Sound quality is very good and the OS integration is perfect. Microphone quality is good. Very comfortable too.

Does the elite have a mic? It doesnt seems like it in the photos
Both have mics, yes.

In simple terms here's what the two headsets have:

Wireless (Standard):

- Good placement for on/off/mute button.
- Mic that can be extended and retracted.
- Comfortable to wear.
- Very decent battery life. Can also be used on PC via USB.

Pulse Elite:

- Same as Standard wireless but more features.
- Bass Boost; it will give it a vibrating/subwoofer feel. Like dualshock but for audio. Some find it annoying and some don't. I personally like it because you can adjust it.
- Virtual surround sound. Great for movies.
- Boom mic is missing for those that didn't like retracting or extending it.
- Pulse Elite app for North American PSN Store (EU can download it if they have US PSN Account). You can pick various equalizers/presets (Store up to 6 on headset). Presets range from movie, music, shooter, horror and more. Games like GTAV, TLOU and BioShock Infinite also have dedicated presets to take full advantage of the game when using the headset.
- Can be connected to PC via USB and practically any other device using headphone jack.

There are also many features like adjusting how much audio you want for game and voice chat. Pulse Elite's on/off/mute button placements takes time to get used to as its not as prominent and big as standard headset's.

Abandond

Do not get the original wireless headset, probably one of the few things I've actually regretted purchasing. It squeaks all the time if you're moving your head at all, god forbid you decide to eat a snack while you wear it. It's so loud that if you're on skype or talking to others, they can hear the noise. It's not all that comfy really, the cushions are alright, but inside the middle, you can feel the hard plastic. Also the battery only lasts 6 hours or so, which is pretty disappointing I feel, but I don't actually know how long others last.

It's been sitting in my closet for about 7 months now, lol.

Do not get the original wireless headset, probably one of the few things I've actually regretted purchasing. It squeaks all the time if you're moving your head at all, god forbid you decide to eat a snack while you wear it. It's so loud that if you're on skype or talking to others, they can hear the noise. It's not all that comfy really, the cushions are alright, but inside the middle, you can feel the hard plastic. Also the battery only lasts 6 hours or so, which is pretty disappointing I feel, but I don't actually know how long others last.

It's been sitting in my closet for about 7 months now, lol.

That's sad to hear. However, your problems are your personal problems that may not bug anyone else. Oh and 6 hour battery is pretty standard for wireless headsets.

Pulse Elite fixes all these problems though.

kairu

I have owned both the pulse elite and the standard playstation headset and while both are pretty good the pulse elite is much much better.

Because its mic is built in to the elite, it has no need for a flimsy mic arm like the standard. It also doesn't creek when moving like the standard model. The sound is also better, though the bass impact is kind of a leave it feature for me in the take it or leave it equation.

Recommendation: Pulse Elite

Abandond

That's sad to hear. However, your problems are your personal problems that may not bug anyone else. Oh and 6 hour battery is pretty standard for wireless headsets.

Pulse Elite fixes all these problems though.

Fair enough.

I really do think the squeaking was awful though, it drove me crazy! It's the reason I don't use it anymore.. But maybe my head is weird or something and it's not a common issue.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I have the Standard. They sound great, but the connection frequently drops. Sometimes I can use them for a couple weeks without incident, and sometimes I'll stop using them after an hour because they won't stop losing the connection to the headset. A Google search shows that this is a fairly common complaint.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
kind of thinking to get some wireless headphones, as trailing a long cable from my receiver to my sofa is a PITA. Is there any chance the PS4's controller audio with wired headphones will be on par with something like the elites?

Rephil

pulse elite: i do like it, but... be aware, the head-strap can get really hard & uncomfortable on your head (after 3h of playing i had like feelable marks on top of my head, not kidding, and i have a f** hard head). the luxurious design made the thing also a bit too heavy and with glasses .. forget it. you'll get branded for life on the sides of your head. the worst thing in my oppinion is that you can not hear your own voice anymore when your playing. you hear your friend on the field, all the sounds and noises from the game, but your own voice, gone! the plush is like a soundbarrier around your ears. so if you're playing like battelfield, you will scream like a lunatic after 5 min! i dont know how they did it on the older version. i think they took a bit from your voice over the mic, so that you can hear yourselfe, maybe. the overall soundquality is superb, but if im really honest, and if your playing a lot of multiplayer, i wouldnt recommend the pulse elite for you. i would actually recommend the older version. i played many many hours on this one, and would never complain about it.

hope this helps.
peace :)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I have the Standard. They sound great, but the connection frequently drops. Sometimes I can use them for a couple weeks without incident, and sometimes I'll stop using them after an hour because they won't stop losing the connection to the headset. A Google search shows that this is a fairly common complaint.

Yeah.

My standard wireless headset worked perfectly fine for a year and then it started getting wonky. Convinced some firmware update ruined it, I'll have dropped connection randomly now and weird desyncing issues after heavy use, so I just turn off the headset and turn it back on and it fixes itself.

I really like the thing outside of this issue. I really like how comfortable they are even while wearing glasses, which is definitely not the norm for me and headsets.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
also, can you just plug/unplug it without needing to pair it? wouldn't want it sticking out the front of the PS4 all the time (why no rear ports Sony!?)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How does the wireless adapter look like?

OBAwDAo.png

pulse elite: i do like it, but... be aware, the head-strap can get really hard & uncomfortable on your head (after 3h of playing i had like feelable marks on top of my head, not kidding, and i have a f** hard head).

I love the pulse elite, use it for both ps3 and my pc, but man this is so true about that headstrap.

Jonboy

Everyone will say the Pulse Elite...but I disagree. If you can spare the funds, go with a headset with has true digital 5.1 surround by using multiple speakers (the pulse elite does not). The Pulse Elite only has a "virtual surround," which doesn't sound nearly as good. It is only connected to the PS3 through USB (rather than using the digital audio output on the rear of the PS3).

I use the Turtle Beach Ear Force Tango (thanks to a recommendation from a fellow GAF member). Aside from the COD branding, the headset is excellent. I'm not usually a fan of Turtle Beach, but the quality on this one is fantastic. Relatively easy to set up as well.

The Pulse Elite will be completely fine if you're on a budget, but for what you're spending already, I really would recommend getting one with the digital 5.1 surround. Research and see what's out there b/c I think the Tangos are discontinued now (was a BLOPS II promotion).

molnizzle

Kinda playing with fire when it comes to PS4 support though. Pulse Elites are confirmed to be compatible. Third party stuff (like the Turtle Beach's you mentioned) will probably be compatible but no guarantees.

Also, is having 5.1 in a headset actually worthwhile now? Fore years the conventional wisdom has been that "surround" headphones are merely marketing bullshit.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The drawback to the Sonys is that the virtual surround sound only works if you are on PS3 (supposedly will work with Ps4). If you want to use them with your TV or other console device they will out output in stereo. Not sure about PC though...it might do virtual there? Also, it has pretty poor battery life compared to other comparable sets even when you have BassImpact off. Also no optical/toslink cable so less flexible in terms of how you can connect them.

I bought these when they dropped to $99 a couple of weeks ago: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00886XQNQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20 . They sound awesome, work with everything (360/PS3/PC/etc.) and they support bluetooth so you can voice chat on PS3/PS4 without any additional cables.

Second this. Best bang for buck you can get at the moment at the $99 pricing IMO. Build quality is great compared to the lower end TB lines.

molnizzle

Second this. Best bang for buck you can get at the moment at the $99 pricing IMO. Build quality is great compared to the lower end TB lines.

Do those have a 3.5mm input? I need that to use with my receiver; I'm pretty sure it only has toslink in, not out.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm in the market for a set, too. But I'm waiting for the PS4 to come out before buying something. Maybe there will be an updated headset from Sony.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just to clarify, did they drop the 'Elite' from the name when they released the Pulse in Europe? I want to get one, but can't find an 'Elite' model online anywhere, just the 'Sony PlayStation 3 Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset'. Is that the same thing?

yes. Same thing, different name.

I'm in the market for a set, too. But I'm waiting for the PS4 to come out before buying something. Maybe there will be an updated headset from Sony.

something that doesn't need a dongle would be good (keep the dongle for optional use with other devices)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Do those have a 3.5mm input? I need that to use with my receiver; I'm pretty sure it only has toslink in, not out.

It has a 3.5mm input on the wireless receiver.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/call-of-duty-headsets/ear-force-x-ray/67

Its also dualband wireless. Haven't heard any complaints about the pulse elite...but if its 2.4ghz only you might get some interference that results in static, popping audio. Best thing to do might a set and return if you don't like it. :)

todahawk

Both have mics, yes.

In simple terms here's what the two headsets have:

Wireless (Standard):

- Good placement for on/off/mute button.
- Mic that can be extended and retracted.
- Comfortable to wear.
- Very decent battery life. Can also be used on PC via USB.

Pulse Elite:

- Same as Standard wireless but more features.
- Bass Boost; it will give it a vibrating/subwoofer feel. Like dualshock but for audio. Some find it annoying and some don't. I personally like it because you can adjust it.
- Virtual surround sound. Great for movies.
- Boom mic is missing for those that didn't like retracting or extending it.
- Pulse Elite app for North American PSN Store (EU can download it if they have US PSN Account). You can pick various equalizers/presets (Store up to 6 on headset). Presets range from movie, music, shooter, horror and more. Games like GTAV, TLOU and BioShock Infinite also have dedicated presets to take full advantage of the game when using the headset.
- Can be connected to PC via USB and practically any other device using headphone jack.

There are also many features like adjusting how much audio you want for game and voice chat. Pulse Elite's on/off/mute button placements takes time to get used to as its not as prominent and big as standard headset's.

Standard has virtual surround sound as well. You can toggle it off for standard stereo.

as for squeaking the only time I've noticed any is if I'm manhandling it trying to adjust it. Normal head movement has been ok.

Jonboy

Kinda playing with fire when it comes to PS4 support though. Pulse Elites are confirmed to be compatible. Third party stuff (like the Turtle Beach's you mentioned) will probably be compatible but no guarantees.

Also, is having 5.1 in a headset actually worthwhile now? Fore years the conventional wisdom has been that "surround" headphones are merely marketing bullshit.
I actually bought the Pulse Elite first before returning it. Comparing it to the Tango, there's a huge difference IMO.

I already have the cheap alternative of the Pulse Headset but I lost that damn USB a couple of weeks ago. GTA V is ariving tommorow and I need a freaking headset so I can keep on playing without annoying everyone in my home.

Is there any way to buy a seperate USB ?

I already have the cheap alternative of the Pulse Headset but I lost that damn USB a couple of weeks ago. GTA V is ariving tommorow and I need a freaking headset so I can keep on playing without annoying everyone in my home.

Is there any way to buy a seperate USB ?

No i think you would have to buy a new one instead. Saw this thread on Sonys site with users that are having the same issue.

http://community.us.playstation.com...aced-the-usb-adapter-how/td-p/36987386/page/2

Top Bottom