• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need Advice: Want to Work in the Game Industry

Hey GAF. So, I'm thinking about making a major life change, and I need some advice from folks working in the video game industry. TL;DR at the bottom, but I'd appreciate it if you read everything for context and provide comments with substance.

Background

I've wanted to work in the gaming industry ever since I was a kid. I took programming courses in high school thinking that was what I needed to do to make video games (plus I enjoyed coding, which helped). I was part of Antagonist, INC. on AOL and hosted chat room games while developing web pages in AOL's Web Diner. After high school graduation, I found out quickly that a college degree in Computer Science was NOT what I envisioned it would be. It was all abstract concepts and creating scripts to simulate basic financial applications.

Pass.

Fortunately, my college also offered degrees in Digital Media. After finding out how awesome a degree it was, I quickly and eagerly made the switch. It opened my eyes that there was so much more to video games than code. Story, visuals, sound. I know, duh, of course those are major aspects of game development, but as a Millennial I grew up with an adult culture that had linked gaming to computers and computers to programming. I had never considered anything else as an avenue for getting into game development.

As a quick aside that will become important momentarily, in high school I was big on the 8-Bit Theater and Penny Arcade web comics. They partially inspired me to draw my own comics based on a story universe I had been building since my Sophomore year. I was also a huge fan of Dragon Ball Z and making AMVs (anime music videos), so story, visuals and sound weren't lost on me.

Anyway, I gobbled up all of my Digital Media courses, including the non-programming ones, but I still saw coding as my forte, though not the only thing I wanted to be a part of in a game's development. In the latter half of my college years, I had a course called Interactive Entertainment, which was instructed by a Disney Imagineer. One day he brought in a manager from one of the big gaming corporations (I'm leaving the company's name out for reasons), and we had a chance to ask him questions. I raised my hand and told him I wanted to be the visionary behind a game's development (Nomura was my inspiration back then). He laughed and told me that what I wanted was the holy grail of game development and that it would take me 30 years to get there, if I got there at all.

It was then that my dreams were utterly crushed, and it was a turning point for where I would eventually end up in my career. I had been trying to write some novels based on the aforementioned universe I'd started creating in high school, so I decided I would instead focus on building my universe. If my novels were successful enough, I would sell the rights to one of the gaming corporations with the stipulation that I could be a creative consultant. My novels would be my fast track into the position I wanted in the gaming industry. However, knowing that I couldn't stake my livelihood on the success of a novel, I used my degree in Digital Media and took a database job straight out of college in the defense industry.

I've been working for the same company I hired into out of college for the past 9 years where my role has shifted from database administrator, to software developer, to manager of a team of artists and software developers creating interactive training tools in video game engines. Though we haven't developed anything for consoles (our focus is PC and tablet), we've begun developing for Vive and HoloLens. As it turned out, despite not working in the gaming industry, I still clung to my dream and now lead a game development team... although our games are "smart games" rather than commercial entertainment.

...which brings me to my current dilemma.

Current Dilemma

I work in the defense industry, where game development is a relatively new concept. Sure, there have been interactive simulations for years, but without going into it, we've tapped into a new market for defense industry gaming (not just our company, plenty others have started doing what we're doing, too).

The biggest challenge I experience in my job is the culture clash from senior leaders. The defense industry is EXTREMELY autocratic. Our customer is the military, and a majority of the industry's leadership are ex-military or grew up in military families. They do not know handle Millennials, and they certainly don't understand game development (If I had a nickel for every manager who having heard about our products said "Oh, my kid plays Call of Duty, but I'll never understand it, hohoho"). Also, being that we charge our customers directly for most of our work, there is very little room for creativity unless we get some internal R&D funds. Innovation is a hard cookie to tackle in our industry because our customers aren't paying for ideas, they're paying for results.

My dilemma is that I've pretty much hit the end of my rope with this culture. Despite trying to work things out, I ultimately had to report a manager for multiple behavior incidents which resulted in an HR investigation. Although they agreed with me, they kept the manager in my area (though he isn't a manager anymore). As my leadership responsibilities have grown, I have had more personal access to leaders up the chain and all I see are the same kinds of people as the one I had to take to HR. It has been incredibly frustrating to watch my team and the products we create be jeopardized time and time again due to poor leadership and culture that just doesn't understand.

...which brings me to my potential path forward.

Path Forward (Advice, please!)

I think it might be time to leave the defense industry for a job in the gaming industry. I'm 32 years old. I'm a home owner, a husband, and the father of a 2-year-old princess. There is a major gaming studio in my city, but they are part of one of the big gaming corporations with a poor history of treating their employees fairly (won't say who for reasons, but it's not hard to figure out). If I'm going to do this, I would want to work for one of the best companies in the business, most of which seem to be based in California or somewhere on the other side of the country from me.

However, there are three concerns I have where I need some advice or insider knowledge from gaming industry vets.

The first concern I have is salary. As a manager with a technical background, my salary is pretty great (though it could be better, as always). If we were to move to California, I would need to find an opportunity with a 6-digit salary to make up for the cost-of-living adjustment. I don't expect to find many of those opportunities at indie studios, so I'm assuming I'd need to work for one of the larger companies. Are leadership opportunities for the big development studios paid well?

My second concern is job security. Above anything else, in the defense industry my job is secure. As long as I show awesome performance and criticality to the company (which I do), any budget cuts we experience are extremely unlikely to affect my job. This isn't so true in the gaming industry, where it seems studio closures are a common occurrence. For someone who is looking for full-time work and not contract work, is there relatively high job security working for the AAA development studios?

My last concern, the one that has caused me to write all of this in the first place, is culture. I can't imagine the culture of ANY game studio could possibly be worse than the defense industry. I'm sure there are still conflicts between the Millennial generation and previous generations, but I would also think that CEOs of game companies don't run their businesses like the military. Is this a non-issue, or is there major generational culture clash worth considering?

In Closing

Any advice you have, GAF, would be most appreciated. This would be a major life change not only for me, but my wife and daughter as well. Although I have become disenchanted with my current employer, they still pay the bills and allow me and my family to have a semi-comfortable life. I love my team and I love the products we build. I don't want to gamble it all away unless the odds are in my favor.

PS - It's a good thing I didn't rely on my novels. I haven't published any, though I do have one going through it's third edit. Some day.

PPS - Earlier this year I considered applying for a job at GameTrailers before they were all let go. I have a small gaming blog I write on the side, and with my Digital Media background I thought getting in front of a camera and editing videos with the GT crew would be awesome. Though I don't think being a member of a group like EZA would be enough to financially support my family, I'd love to do it if I could!

TL;DR

I am the manager of a game development team in a non-gaming industry where militaristic/autocratic culture has crossed the line. I'd like to transition to the game industry but I'm worried I won't be able to maintain the same salary or job security. I'm also concerned I would run into the same autocratic culture I'm trying to escape from. The point of this thread is to get advice from industry vets based on these concerns.

Thank you!

AniHawk

i guess the really simple thing would be to look around and see what's available? my go-to back in the day was www.gamedevmap.com, which lets you see what's around the country/world, and each website has their own careers/hiring page. or you can find the places you'd like to work and see if there are openings through linkedin as sometimes those websites aren't updated that much.

also, it really depends what you want. if you want more pay, a bigger company might be for you, but if you want to scratch a creative itch, you might be after a smaller company (although in this case, they're more likely to promote from within than to hire on people from the outside).

if you have experience with vive, you might also try valve - they have a list of job openings, but you can also submit your resume for the chance if there's someone like you that they'll need. as far as east coast stuff is concerned, the only big one i know is insomniac.

Don't stick with the Defence Industry, you have a family to support and the gaming industry is too unprofessional and unstable. You'll be hired only to be fired as soon as a project is finished.

There was a tragic story of a guy with a family trying to get into the games industry a coupe of years ago, if someone could link you up to that you'll reconsider.

scitek

I'm in video production and marketing, and wanted to work in the industry for the longest time, butthe instability is something that's definitely causing me to rethink that goal. There are plenty of other talented workers out there who are willing to be abused just so they can say they work in the industry, I'd rather not be one of them.

gdt

Don't do it man. You'll take a pretty decent cut in your salary, work a shit ton more hours and be canned anyway. I think 32 with a family and kids might be too late. Well not too late it's just that it might be more of a young single man's game.

Edit: I think working on your own stuff would be a better creative outlet. Something small...maybe with members of your work team?

Storm360

It's nice to see that you've done research into this before, personally... I think the games industry isn't really the best place to be with those with families to support etc, but it can be done. I'm half asleep and not really in the state of mind, but

Culture is hit or miss depending where you work, studios that have poor management (which lets be honest, is alot more common than most of us would like), crunch time is real, and you'll have to be prepared to work extremely long shifts (for worst case scenarios I guess you could look at some of the many horror stories online, but they are horror stories and should be treated as such)

Job security is a huge issue, even with a big publisher you run the risk of being closed, and why i'd recommend avoiding it with a family etc, your studio is only as valuable as their output, and we've seen countless cases of "unstoppable" studios closing time and time again when the market changes or standards then slip. I can't promise that you'll always be safe, the games industry is constantly changing and new developments can turn a 100% locked down job to be "high risk".

I'd recommend stick with what you have, while you may not be making the games that you want to make (which lets be honest, may not be the case in another studio too), you're still getting to make games, and you have the job security and salary that alot of members of the industry won't get, you may want to look into doing some indie stuff in your spare time using what you've learned to scratch that creative itch?

Piers

Echoing what others have said: It's an industry that exploits passion more than others I've seen.

SMgamer83

If you do some research, you can find out all the answers pretty easy.

Yes, 6 figure salaries are possible (Though maybe difficult without much experience?) Then again, a good leader is valued quite highly.

Job security is always a factor. Even if you work for one of the big ones, nothing is 100%. But you can get close. The two companies I've worked for PROBABLY weren't going anywhere.

Culture depends on the company. I've been part of both sides of the spectrum. If your expectation is to have a lot of impact immediately though, you need to find the right company.

Any specific questions, I might be able to answer in PM's.

Honestly, I would take a long, hard look at your situation before bailing for the games industry. The industry (specifically game development) is notoriously risky, and it's not unlike companies to layoff a ton of devs after a games release. It wasn't on here, but there was a story I read a while back from the wife of a game dev who had been suffering a string of bad luck. Essentially, the family kept relocating due to her husband NEEDING to find work after being laid off almost every other month. It's a tough gig, especially for someone with a set house and family that they can't exactly uproot.

Is there any way you can try to make a case, or report to your higher ups to possibly get them to see things from your POV?

Wozzer

Salary; the industry suffers from other 'hobbyist' industries where you'll often struggle to find a salary offer that's competitive with direct software opportunities or drier industries such as defense. Obviously there are exceptions to this with the largest fairer or more lucrative start-ups.

Job security; there's still a lot of instability in the industry not helped by the increased cost of developing and competition, some companies still churn staff on a project basis whilst others face redundancies/closure if unsuccessful. Again there's exceptions to this and if you properly research companies your applying for you'll have an idea how secure their/your future would be.

Culture; I'm positive you'll find many companies throughout the games industry that is just as worse, if not far more so, than you're currently experiencing. Given the games industry is still very new, and a lot of teams joining even newer, there's often inexperienced leadership, school-like playground politics and the often youthful nature of the culture doesn't appeal to everyone. Though... again... there's vast exceptions.

The above focuses on the negatives you could unfortunately encounter taking a risky transition from your current situation to find a home in the games industry. As someone who has relocated to California myself, with a family and kids, in order to return to the games industry (having left it for a software position)... I couldn't be happier I took the risk and wish you luck ^_^.

chaosaeon

I'm interested in story writing or concepts for games but have no idea where'd you'd start with that. Or anything to do with voice acting I'd love to try. But again, no idea how to get into either of those.

Wow, GAF. I didn't expect so many great responses out the gate. Thanks, and keep them coming!

At the risk of jeopardizing my chances working for this company, what would you say specifically about a company like Blizzard? On the outside, I feel like they may be one of the best studios to work for. I assume they get all the funding from Activision but have their own leadership culture. With all the new franchises they've launched over the past few years they seem to be growing rather than laying-off. Not sure what their culture is actually like, though.

ar4757

Personally, I'd rather work on my own indie game in my freetime based on what I've heard from those in the industry and on GAF

Storm360

Lot of pessimism in this thread. Dreams do happen....but you can't be such a downer

Not sure if this was targeted at my post but eh, his has to be prepared for both results and consider both, we can't make up OPs mind for them, and I'm not going to tell him one way or another.

If OP wants to take the risk and makes it happen, all the power to him.

OTOH it is 3am and i'm already running on complete lack of sleep so I may look at this in the morning and not agree with a word I said ha.

Wow, GAF. I didn't expect so many great responses out the gate. Thanks, and keep them coming!

At the risk of jeopardizing my chances working for this company, what would you say specifically about a company like Blizzard? On the outside, I feel like they may be one of the best studios to work for. I assume they get all the funding from Activision but have their own leadership culture. With all the new franchises they've launched over the past few years they seem to be growing rather than laying-off. Not sure what their culture is actually like, though.

Glassdoor is your friend. Every company is different so unless anyone here works for Blizzard it's hard to say ha.

At the risk of jeopardizing my chances working for this company, what would you say specifically about a company like Blizzard?

Thar you go.

Do the same for any company you might entertain a position in.

Also if anyone from crytek shows interest, tell them to get bent.

Lot of pessimism in this thread. Dreams do happen....but you can't be such a downer
the greater the optimism, the easier they are to exploit.
Being real about what a meat grinder the games industry is will work in your favour.

KC Denton

From my experience, management in the games industry tends to be far more stable than the many artists and programmers that I've seen laid off or leave after a project ends, but your current job sounds pretty excellent aside from the culture clash and the lack of room for creativity. I think you would find that you'll see similar kinds of issues going into the industry especially for large AAA studios, and will need to be concerned about job security.

I've observed that even for higher up people, large studios don't lend themselves much room for personal creativity since for those kinds of studios, the product is usually well defined early on and requires tasks to get done instead of ideas to be created.

I'd say stick to what you have now, especially since you have a family to take care of. The games industry, no matter what position you end up in, takes a huge toll on families, and you're definitely going to taking a hit in regards to income. If you really want to make more creative games than what you're currently working on, try scoping out small projects that you could work on in your free time, maybe try collaborating with other people online as well.

EDIT: Blizzard specifically would be the most stable out of any game development company I can think of, and people I know who work there generally have positive things to say about the work environment, but its going to be hard to get in there and if you're working on a team for a new project (like Overwatch) I've heard that crunch time continues well after launch in order to get new features and bug fixes ready in a timely manner. I'm pretty sure creative freedom is afforded to only a small group of people, you'd have to be pretty competitive to get in to that kind of team but your experience might give you an edge in that regards. Try checking out their jobs page to see if there's anything that matches what you'd want to do. From my experience they are very up front about listing what they want from you and what you would be doing for a listed position.

I'd still recommend sticking with your current job and making creative games in your free time but if you're talking about Blizzard specifically I would not say no to just seeing if you can get an interview, and seeing how things go and getting as much information about company life there before committing to a decision. If you do get an interview, ask the people interviewing about some of the concerns you have,.

CS_Dan

Underpaid
Overworked
No unions
Lack of security

I did a games engineering course and know a few friends who have been churned out by big companies like ubisoft. You're better off where you are and making something in your spare time - especially if creative control is important to you.

At your skill level and wanting to work FOR a company, expect to be running from job to job. Entry level positions in most development teams are revolving doors.

My advice as a lead designer and programmer: start your own project and bring people on, or, find a small project startup and join them on the ground floor. You will probably be paid nothing and do this in your spare time. It's how I started and now I'm partnered and able to make games for the big 3.

It takes time, dedication, lack of sleep, etc. But if you really want to work for a larger company be prepared to always be on the hunt for a new job and never truly satisfied with anything you are doing and the salary/benefits provided.

Unless you are God's gift to programming or have some connections, everything else comes in spades. Even I get requests from musicians, designers, artists, pretty much everyone BUT programmers weekly and I'm a nobody. Don't want to burst any bubbles but it's difficult and really shitty on the bottom. You being a father with obligations I would really take a good long think on what moves you feel you can afford to do.

Good luck, OP.

I'd echo the suggestion to not enter the gaming industry.

Use your managing experience in a considerably more lucrative and valuable industry, i.e. just about any other technology-based sphere.

Edit: Oh, and avoid animation (pixar/dreamworks) as well. They treat their employees like shit too.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
i have a good friend who works in the games industry

So do I. I can't tell you how many companies he has had to go in and out of. At one point having to move back home across the country and then out of the country entirely.

Tigel

I've worked as a developer in a game company for a couple of years. Here's what I've posted in another similar thread. Hope it helps you OP!

I've worked for 3 years as a software engineer for a major AAA game company. First job out of university. I worked on games such as Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Tomb Raider 2013, Sleeping Dogs. Big names.

- The job was extremely rewarding because you get to work with really smart people and you get to solve very challenging problems. That means you must learn a lot of things really fast. But you also develop your skills as an engineer really fast too. I won't lie, it can be stressful at times.

- Unlike some other B-tier software companies in other fields, you must know what you are talking about. They want A players. It's alright if you're not one straight out of school (I sure wasn't), as often the companies are willing to invest in your developement. But they DO expect that you to become a A player eventually.

- Pay is by no means "terrible". But it is a bit less than in other software engineering fields.

- Concerning overtime and long work hours, I'd say it depends. Depends on the company, depends if you're working on a production project or not, depends if you can deliver your work on time, etc. In 3 years, I could count on the fingers of my left hand the number of weeks that I had to work more than 40hours. Granted, I was working on tools (ie: not on a production project -read: game) and I realize that I may be in the minority on this.

- In general, the workplace culture is very relaxed, you are working with young(ish) and talented people that have the same interests as you.

I've now moved to another field in software engineering but I will forever look back on those years in the game industry as some of the best and most rewarding of my career. If you have other questions, feel free to message me, but if you have the chance to work in the industry (talking as a developer, I can't talk for the artists/testers) I'd say go for it and see for yourself.

SeanBoocock

Neo Member
I've worked in the industry for 5+ years at this point (AAA and now a mid-sized independent developer) and I think your background could definitely get you interviews for engineering manager roles (other flavors of that role/title could be producer, development director, line manager).

Reading some of the prior comments, I would caution against assuming much about a developer's culture before interviewing there. I would also caution against getting too caught up in enthusiasm for certain IP/games (ie your interest in Blizzard) as that interest can be used as leverage to get you to acquiesce to a poorer studio culture or compensation.

The games industry can be volatile but there is a spectrum of risk/volatility among studios. Working for one of the big publisher/developers like Activision or Electronic Arts on a key franchise is relatively safe. If things fall through on one project, there is usually some opportunity to transfer internally if you demonstrated value. Outside of the juggernauts, working for a long standing work-for-hire studio is also relatively stable. Farther down the list would be larger independent developers with multiple projects. Farther still would be medium - large size (35+ people) independent developers working on a single project.

I would encourage you to explore http://gamedevmap.com/ the studios in your local area and seek out any events hosted by a local chapter of the IGDA (https://www.igda.org/). See if you can talk to any of the people who work at the local large studio informally to start to get a sense for the culture there. Yes, you can make six figures in a management role in California, at least at most of the larger studios.

Wanted you all to know I've read every word so far and really appreciate the comments. The New Year hits here in an hour; I'll keep monitoring the thread and will respond with a couple comments tomorrow. <3

I actually have a buddy that works for Blizzard (though not on the game dev side, he's on the customer support side, but a higher up), and he's had nothing but praise for the company. He started as a tester and was able to move up (so that speaks to the possibility of promotion), and he said the salary could be better for his position, but it's not bad. For his own spending money, he drives Uber on the side, though I'm not sure if that's due to the salary or what.

Dremorak

Banned
It's extremely unlikely that you will be able to find an entry level position in games that pays that much. And without any actual game industry experience entry level is what you would be going for.

Also overtime is definitely a thing especially for programmers (which I'm assuming is what you are aiming for)

In my experience I have really enjoyed working for smaller companies with good work culture, they definately do exist. I think generally the bigger the company the more likely you'll be doing overtime.

I would suggest researching companies near you and find one that explicitly says they don't do overtime, and apply there. Keep your current job and just apply around I would say. The fact that you have worked on games before will definitely help.

Good luck!

Top Bottom