• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed (2015) - Review Thread

I will pick it up most likely at the end of the month.

But the reviews needed to be brilliant for a lot of people to buy it during the period when it is out.

eksy

Banned
I am not surprised. Been keeping track of user impressions from EA Access and it's clear.

The worst sin in a racing game is to have rubber banding AI. It's the most aggravating thing in the genre. Makes you want to break the disc. Unless you are able to smash them dead a la Burnout, it's a really cheap tactic.

I will stay away from this game for at least three: 1) always online, 2) rubber AI, 3) cutscenes/dialogue

Fix this and maybe I will look into the next iteration of NFS. Get serious about the franchise.

Yoday

Thanks. I agree. As a fan of these since the very first and knowing that some are better than others, I wasn't devastated but as I say in the Funfactor section. I actually had a good time and that almost makes it worse. Because the rubberbanding, lack of various options and so forth mean that the fun has far too high a cost.
Agreed. I spent a few hours in early access, and cancelled my pre-order. I feel like it is a good game that is being hamstrung by blatantly obvious and really annoying rubberbanding, and it simply lacks variety and content. I will be very interested to see where the game is in a few months once they have had time to hopefully address the rubberbanding insanity, as well as get the first few content updates out. By the time it is down to $30 it will not only be cheaper, but it will likely also be a better game.

GHG

Gold Member
Well this is disappointing, but not unexpected.

I was hoping this was going to be a good throwback to the underground games but its clearly not meant to be.

Maybe next year.

slaughtered.
i wasnt against playing playing this if this were a 85+ game but no more reason to support this always online crap

Gamezone

Gold Member
From Venturebeat.

Need for Speed forces you to always link up online, and in a truly obnoxious way. You have to maintain an online connection at all times, so my solo games were interrupted repeatedly as prerelease servers went up and down and up again.

after my first few hours i dont feel the need to go back, its a decent game about a 6.5-7.5/10 from me from what i have seen so far. It's something ill wait and use the vault for rather than buy it.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yep. Pretty much expected sixes and sevens.

The racing itself is pretty fun (been playing it on EA Access) but the way the game is structured doesn't make much sense at all. Not knowing how to quickly navigate the in-game menus (which isn't the user's fault due to the game not really giving any tips) just makes things worse. And (as I said earlier), the game does nothing in terms of online that wasn't done in the previous NFS games that requires this to be online only. If the game isn't going to be updated throughout the whole gen then this game being online only was a silly decision.

Forza 6 has racing GOTY on lock.

Rough scores. Why can't we just get another amazing NFS like Hot Pursuit? How difficult is that? Been absolutely clamouring for a follow-up to that game ever since I completed it, one without the open-world and always-online hang ups that are forced upon us now with this series. The latter especially can go take a long walk off a short pier.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Looks like many are giving the game a lower score because of the always online.

They are giving it lower scores because the always online part serves absolutely no purpose. It's just an annoyance that keeps you from pausing the game when you get a call or answer the door bell. That and random people doing the same career race you do and crashing you into walls.

They are giving it lower scores because the always online part serves absolutely no purpose. It's just an annoyance that keeps you from pausing the game when you get a call or answer the door bell. That and random people doing the same career race you do and crashing you into walls.

That, and that when the servers go down you can throw your copy in the trash. Again, for no good reason.

LordRaiden

Neo Member
Well that's another hope of a good reboot being flushed down the toilet....

Guess that's what you get for not listening to the community..

Add 90's rubberbanding and you have a recipe for disaster.

Goodbye Need for Speed, thanks for the good times.

willbsn13

So it's an always-online game with poor multiplayer. Classy.

This is the point that frustrates me the most. There's no PvP lobby system at all and if you want to get any sort of racing done in PvP you have to hope people accept your invites (which is nobody) so basically there's no PvP in this game. And there's only 79 single player events too.

Tiny SP + Non existent PvP in an online only game doesn't bode well. A shame, really. This game looked very promising coming out of E3.

Based off of the GiantBomb Quicklook it looks like they're really going for that modern "we're from the streets" bro cringefest that the kids love these days. It's just not for me, nor is this online MMORPG style layout.

danowat

Banned
I knew it was never likely to review well, it's got a shed load of problems, but it's still a heck of a lot of FUN.

jesu

Still getting it but the lower reviews criticizing the single player content, crap multiplayer and pointless always online seem fair enough.
If this is the best Ghost can do in 2 years after allegedly listening to the fans I won't be looking forward to their future games much.

weekev

Banned
Dear EA, Please let Criterion develop a new Burnout game without interfering, something along the lines of takedown.
Sincerely, Everyone ever

jesu

Dear EA, Please let Criterion develop a new Burnout game without interfering, something along the lines of takedown.
Sincerely, Everyone ever

Criterion are more of a skeleton crew these days.
The head guys left to form a new studio and I think some of the rest of them were moved to Ghost Games.

When racing if you stop, just put the brakes on, at times you can see all the other cars slow way the f down.

The worst event I had so far was being in second and being beat by a good amount due to 2 massive misturns where I went a good 200 feet the wrong way and had to turn around.
I ended up trying to finish the event and ended up winning it blowing away the 1st place (Spike) like he was standing still. Its insane.

Yeah I noticed. Not only that but I agree with your video on the A.I being annoying (essentially). Multiple times I'm restarting a race and the A.I will just huddle up together and crash into each other. Sometimes while doing drifting races, they wouldn't even participate but instead, would be doing a burnout on the spot. No idea why.

The problem with the rubber-banding is that there is no point in upgrading your car. Whether you're in a crappy or amazing car, it doesn't make any difference since they will always catch up.

And I agree with you on the music. Fucking terrible. There is one song (Rio - Netsky) that I think is brilliant but the rest of it arse.

Awesome review Bloodworth :D

I've said this before (even earlier in this thread) about how "this is the closest you'll get to a Burnout", because it is. See, the problem the game is that it's actually made by Criterion: the magnificent devils behind the Burnout series. But since EA aren't making a Burnout, we get elements of Burnout in Need for Speed. The problem here is that Need for Speed is using real cars, with a slightly realistic racing feels. It's a fun arcade game, but you won't be doing 209MPH around the corner like you would in Burnout. But because of the sense of speed you get when driving a Lambo/Dodge/Ferarri etc is that it still feels too slow in a game that feels like an arcade game. There was a point were I realised I was doing 50MPH around a corner and it felt incredibly slow. 50 around a corner is insane! But because the Burnout games have always pushed for going faster, it never quite fits the car that your in and the speed at which you're going.

The same also applies to rubber-banding. I don't mind the rubber banding in games like Mario Kart and Burnout because it does add to the over fun and tension. It's enjoyable. Burnout especially flaunts the rubber banding A.I with events like Road Rage, but that's not what the Need for Speed games are about. So it doesn't sit well with the Need for Speed audience and it doesn't suit people like me who want another Burnout, but instead get a game that feels like a poor-mans Burnout.

This is also evident with no manual transmission. I'm not someone who cares about MT, because again, that's because I'm a Burnout fan. All of the (rightly so) uproar comes from the Need for Speed fans.

I don't think the game is terrible at all but it feels like a Burnout game that was quickly changed last minute to be a Need for Speed game. I am enjoying it, but it does have some hugely glaring flaws with mechanics. Regarding the always online and strange graphic choices just feels like EA pushing in crap.

/JustMySpeculationOnAllOfThisShit

Kind of not surprised at those scores but the stupid, shitty storyline stuff is what a certain segment of NFS players have been begging for on top of trying to relieve the days when EA cashed in on the FnF series.

I defended the Burnout elements that were added when Criterion started with the series and I still don't hate them but I so, so wish we could've just gotten more Burnout instead because the NFS games Criterion DNA are kinda like Burnout but not really thanks to as already said the licensing which restricts the hell out of what can be done. I remember being incredibly irritated playing Most Wanted 2012 with all those big jumps but if your car went past certain angles/degrees it was automatically a crash even if you could've landed on your wheels, no flips, no barrel rolls. Never mind IMO Criterion's engine was better for racing than Frostbite.

All in all fuck EA for killing Burnout and pretty much killing Criterion as they continue to do. Whatever happened to that game that was intended to be the spiritual successor to Burnout?

EDIT: Found it and a newer story on it, it was the new studio from a couple of Criterion's founders.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-02-criterion-founders-tease-burnout-spiritual-successor

I thought the story came out a lot longer ago than just last month. o_O

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
But from what I have played, the game is decent. I am enjoying it. But no need to buy it. God bless EA Access. lol

Duxxy3

Nah after a series of below average NFS games they were renamed then eventually shut down.

Looks like The Run killed them. The Run is only a few points lower than this new NFS game. I think it's only a matter of time until EA puts the entire series on hiatus.

There seems to be a large disconnect between what gamers want from racing games and what publishers/developers want to make.

desu

There seems to be a large disconnect between what gamers want from racing games and what publishers/developers want to make.

I really wonder the issue exactly is. Is EA not giving the studios enough time/resources to make good games? Are the studios lacking the talent? Or do most of the games simply have bad directors?

Stuff like always online is most likely forced by EA, at least I can't imagine why a dev would insist on it and then not deliver anything to justify it. And a lack of resources/time wouldn't really surprise me either.

Azzawon

The AI in this game is pure trash. The handling in this game is pure trash.

It's so annoying, as it shows glimpses of being almost good sometimes.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Azzawon/video/12526215

Drift trains are the absolute worst. The other people in your train drive at 10mph around corners so you have to practically stop in between corners to let them catch up in order for you to actually score points.

I really wonder the issue exactly is. Is EA not giving the studios enough time/resources to make good games? Are the studios lacking the talent? Or do most of the games simply have bad directors?
EA publisher meddling (Ghost/Criterion has the talent for racing games), and trying to define what NFS is is the problem. NFS as a series now serves too many masters: open world/closed circuit, fmv/no frills story, customization, limited setup, full arcade to semi-sim. I honestly don't think anyone can win making an NFS.

inki

The FMV in this game is DUMMMMMMB

and by DUMMMMMMB you mean... amazing :)

I played the beta for NFS and I was very happy with what they came out with. Granted I'm not very finicky when it comes to arcade racers. I've always loved Burnout and NFS, this is the best of the "new" NFS games imo.

It looks like there isn't as much game (content) as I'd hoped however I played the heck out of the beta and really enjoyed it. Game just felt "right". Here's hoping a good return in a year (or 2) of NFS2.

Even as much as I know I'm going to love it, it's not going to purchased until I find a good BF deal.

Top Bottom