• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed first look coming May 21st [Seemingly NFS: Underground]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This announcement made me check what Three Fields (ex Criterion, Alex Ward, Fiona Sperry) are up to...

Our Games

We’re currently hard at work on our first project.

If you’ve followed our work for the past ten years then you’ll be familiar with the sorts of games we like to make.

This first game isn’t a driving or racing game though.

It’s an original new game – an innovative new twist on a sports game that’s fast, funny and heavy on social multiplayer.

We’re keeping it under wraps until most of the game is complete.

We’ll keep you posted as to when we’ll be ready to show it off.

Is this new news?

Bandit1

enhanced-erer

LPjWsMR.jpg

Oh man drifting at night with a cityscape in the background... Getting Underground vibes for sure. Anybody know the year of that Porsche? I'm not that familiar with them. Hoping to see some older cars in this one.

jett

D-Member
Not condoning their actions at all, but you can run it at 60 just fine with two launch parameters.

No, it's not fine, because for one, the game isn't optimized for 60fps at all, and for two, if it drops one frame, it drops all the way back to 30fps, and thirdly not only does it drop to 30fps, it drops to half-speed.

I would not mind it being open world with some fixed tracks. But don't make it burnout again. That was a retarded move. But then again don't make it driveclub either, I mean i love the hell out of the underground series, but i still don't want a exact carbon copy either, i still want the freedom to go places to meet interesting racers and battle them an be involved in story line of sorts. As well as race the streets but not just in one state though and i want the playground to be alive also and to be pretty big.

Given that i think the underground games was a good balance between both worlds for the most part. It just has to avoid the complete f up that was ubisoft's venture into the arena of racing games. Especially since that game could have worked out much better then it did but it was done so poorly and rushed and forgot what it wanted to be, compared to say forza horizon 2 which nailed it given its scope.

I think I'd prefer open world for this, give me some good Underground 2 vibes, or Most Wanted. Underground 1 was fine but I think the open world actually benefited what EA was trying to do.

jett

D-Member
I think I'd prefer open world for this, give me some good Underground 2 vibes, or Most Wanted. Underground 1 was fine but I think the open world actually benefited what EA was trying to do.

I've had enough open world racing to last me a life time. I really would like bespoke tracks, as long as they're well designed.

No, it's not fine, because for one, the game isn't optimized for 60fps at all, and for two, if it drops one frame, it drops all the way back to 30fps, and thirdly not only does it drop to 30fps, it drops to half-speed.

I know it slows down below 60 but it doesn't drop to 30 instantly (on another PC when it dropped, it would normally be 55 or so, not enough to notice the slow motion), and it is decently optimised. I can run it at 60 constantly.

Thanks, that sounds good to me. The last NFS I played was Most Wanted 2012 and I was slightly disappointed that by far most of the cars were new.

Yeah, the Porsche 930 turbo in that game was great, like I said on the last page I hope they've finally realised what they have with their Porsche exclusivity.

I think its a pretty safe bet this will be open world. The only game that wasn't was The Run, if I remember correctly. I mean, other than The Run, what NFS games in the modern era have been closed circuit? And The Run was more of a point to point racer at that.

I'm guessing this is NFS Underground 3 and it will be open world.

I think its a pretty safe bet this will be open world. The only game that wasn't was The Run, if I remember correctly. I mean, other than The Run, what NFS games in the modern era have been closed circuit? And The Run was more of a point to point racer at that.

I'm guessing this is NFS Underground 3 and it will be open world.
Pretty much, though i think it wont be ubisoft open world but horzion open world hopefully with some things to spice it up and make fresh. But be a very good racer with a lot of variety and life.

I want something great to look at, great to handle and a amazing place to race in with some interesting events.

Vanguard

Underground 2 still remains my favourite nfs game. I would love an underground 3 that's semi-open world and online like rivals, but minus the cops. The random races with other players and just the ability to display your customised car in such a way would be perfect imo.

T.O.P

Banned
Underground 2 still remains my favourite nfs game. I would love an underground 3 that's semi-open world and online like rivals, but minus the cops. The random races with other players and just the ability to display your customised car in such a way would be perfect imo.

this would be perfect

i can't remember a game more popular than U2 at the time, every damn friend i had at the time was alway boosting around about their tuned cars

I'M SO IN

pls don't fuck it up

A reminder of the message that they released when they announced that there wasn't going to be a NFS last year

We are already deep in development on our next game and want to make this promise to you: we will listen to you. We’re going to give you the game you’ve been asking for. It will be the game you deserve, but to do that will take us some time.

We’ve made the decision to not release a Need for Speed in 2014, so we can work towards a highly innovative Need for Speed in 2015. An experience built on a foundation we know you’ll greatly look forward to.

http://ghostgames.com/news/the-future-of-need-for-speed/

It certainly sounds like at the very least it's going to be heavily Underground inspired.

Will be interesting just to see if they learned their lesson from the past 4 or 5 need for speeds and actually made something good. I doubt it but like I said should be interesting to see how it turns out.

Makikou

If there is no tuning, then it is no-go for me.

People have asked for Underground and tuning forever now. Pretty sure there will be extensive customization.

Also, i like the Ghost Games guys, i really enjoyed Rivals and ended up sending them an e-mail. Got loot :)

T.O.P

Banned
They really have to nail down the feeling of Underground. I hope it doesnt play anything like Rivals. That game was awful to me.

I played about 20 minutes before getting bored of Rivals

Handling alone is something i couldn't stand

I'm hoping for something closer to Driveclub for this

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
No cops, no buy for me. NFS needs to have it's police chases. Hopefully it's a return to MW1 quality.

TP-DK

Oh my god just realised that the soundtrack will probably be filled with songs of artists that gets interrupted by Pitbull.

Duxxy3

I'll repeat what others are saying. Please don't be open world. Just give me menus and quick access to events. The devs don't need to prove that they can make a full world. I trust that they can. I just don't want that. Never did. That's what GTA is for.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Am i the only one who thinks about Lil Jon and "Get Low" when i see the background?

Now tell me the good news. That this is being made by the old NFS team and Criterion is making Burnout instead.

Everyone fucking wins.

Petrae

Please dont be open world.

My heart follows this post. Not having to concern myself with street layouts and "Oh shit, I missed a turn?" moments would automatically gain my interest.

My head knows that open world is what all the kids play these days and that's where the money is. Burnout died for me when it went open world, yet Paradise is revered. Players want to explore, they want freedom, and open-world is the preferred design for multiple genres.

Ah, well. As a famous song once proclaimed, "You can't always get what you want..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom