• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed first look coming May 21st [Seemingly NFS: Underground]

Status
Not open for further replies.

saladine1

Also, let me please start the game with basic and slow cars, i fuckin hated how the latest NFS games threw you in with a >300kw car right off the bat

I loved the sense of progression in U2

Yes to this.

I know a lot of people like to have everything unlocked at the start of the game because they can't be arsed to start with a stock AE86 or something and work their way up to a Zonda.

But I love the 'zero to hero' (thanks pCARS) sense of progression. I revel in it..

PleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterionPleasebeCriterion...
While I will always choose Burnout over NFS, I loved Criterion's NFS games.Hot Pursuit was amazing, Most Wanted was good but not great, but I would have loved to see what they would've done with Underground. They're working on a new I.P. though which I'm looking forward to so this'll have to be Ghost doing it. Still, if it's Underground, I'll be interested.

DerZuhälter;164348100 said:
It better have this.

mreddie

get-low-o.gif

Bandit1

Ok I got it:
You start playing as a middle-aged mechanic who learns he has lung cancer. He is not particularly well off and begins planning on how to provide for his family after he is gone. He decides to use his mechanic skills to build a street racer and goes UNDERGROUND using the alias "Smokey" for famed racing mechanic Smokey Yunick all while dodging his brother in law who happens to be a police officer on a mission to bust the Underground street racers...

I wanna be optimistic but there are so many ways EA can still fuck this up...

1) They make it always online... Pls no.

2) Many many many microtransactions... Who am I kidding. It's EA. It's probably gonna be there.

3) A bad OST... let's be honest NFS Underground had that kind of music that sticks to your head and won't leave forever. It's hard but they need to replicate that.

Ghost_Ben

Ghost Games
Ok I got it:
You start playing as a middle-aged mechanic who learns he has lung cancer. He is not particularly well off and begins planning on how to provide for his family after he is gone. He decides to use his mechanic skills to build a street racer and goes UNDERGROUND using the alias "Smokey" for famed racing mechanic Smokey Yunick all while dodging his brother in law who happens to be a police officer on a mission to bust the Underground street racers...

http://ghostgames.com/jobs/

He is the one that honks?

NeonDelta

Hope this has drag and drift races, and obviously tons of customisation options, and most importantly Current Gen Only

AirBrian

Ok I got it:

NFS Underground: Braking Bad.

My buddy and I would just put Get Low on repeat forever playing Underground drunk, and it was amazing, so I hope it is underground and it has Get Low or custom soundtracks. lol

MMaRsu

Banned
I just don't see how someone could like MW and HP but not Rivals. They're all pretty similar mechanically with the main difference coming down to the world design. That's the main reason why I still like HP most. Although I think Rivals is the second be among the recent NFS games.

The main difference isnt the world design at all. Its the ease of play and the possibilities.

Especially if you compare the open world game Most Wanted to NFS Rivals. In Rivals you had the following:

You had to go back to the house of coptruck whenever you wanted to change your ride. Which meant sitting through at least two loading screens. Instead in Most Wanted you could change your car on the fly.

You were seriously constantly harrassed when playing as a racer by the cops. Most Wanted did this too but there were way more routes to escape the police. In Rivals it gold old very fast. No good way of taking cops out either.Rivals roads are mostly straightforward roads with a few twists and turns. Which brings me to my main problem with the game.

The map in Rivals is not that good. It's good if they would have split it up like in Hot Pursuit where you have excellently designed tracks, that feel like the open world was an afterthought in that game. And it really was too. You could pretty much only freeride in Hot Pursuit couldn't you? In Most Wanted you had a very dense city, which I enjoyed much more than the barren land of whatever they called it in Rivals.

And the online sucks in Rivals. You either get constantly disconnected or are put into a server with only one or two other guys. There is no way to actually race with someone unless you both stop at a stopsign to start the race. That's just horrible gamedesign.

One of the coolest things about Most Wanted was discovering new cars in the open world to use, and then being able to transport not only to another car with the use of the D-Pad, you could also start events and transport to other places on the map using the d-pad. Shit was amazing.

You had to go back to the house of coptruck whenever you wanted to change your ride. Which meant sitting through at least two loading screens. Instead in Most Wanted you could change your car on the fly.

That was just a unique feature for MW. HP was structured entirely different.

You were seriously constantly harrassed when playing as a racer by the cops. Most Wanted did this too but there were way more routes to escape the police. In Rivals it gold old very fast. No good way of taking cops out either.Rivals roads are mostly straightforward roads with a few twists and turns. Which brings me to my main problem with the game.

I can definitely understand this. I really wasn't bothered by the cops too much as when you get certain cars and upgrade them it makes them much less of an annoyance. The fully upgraded Enzo in particular basically breaks the game. But they can be super aggressive early on to the point that they're annoying.

The map in Rivals is not that good. It's good if they would have split it up like in Hot Pursuit where you have excellently designed tracks, that feel like the open world was an afterthought in that game. And it really was too. You could pretty much only freeride in Hot Pursuit couldn't you? In Most Wanted you had a very dense city, which I enjoyed much more than the barren land of whatever they called it in Rivals.

I agree with your HP point and disagree with MW. Hot Pursuit is probably the best open world designed for a racing game. It's just amazing how well it flows. But I really didn't care for MW's at all. I just don't really like constantly driving through cities in an open world. I think that's one part that I love about HP.

And the online sucks in Rivals. You either get constantly disconnected or are put into a server with only one or two other guys. There is no way to actually race with someone unless you both stop at a stopsign to start the race. That's just horrible gamedesign.

I can't really talk about the online too much since I selected the option that doesn't let other players interfere with you. The last thing I wanted to happen was have some human controlled cop screw up my race. :p

Rivals definitely has its problems, but i'd still rank it behind HP in terms of recent NFS games. I just think that when it clicks there's a pretty good flow to the world. It had me hooked

1523874_14057293030069kj8l.jpg

A new Underground? With RWB Porsches?

Predictable. Let me guess, it's going to be called Underground and people will have to write it as UG2016 or something...

On the other hand, ONE TICKET FOR THE HYPE TRAIN, BITCHES!!!

The problem with Rivals was that it wasn't a racing game so much as it was 'cops and robbers' with some racing sprinkled in. And that's not what I was expecting. Every stinking race would involve getting away from the cops and as such became repetitive really friggin' fast.

That said, I'm starting to become a bit more excited about this announcement which I fully expect to be another Underground title. I feel like pulling out my old PS2 discs.

No coppers
No constant online
No focusing on crashing your competition instead of just straight racing them.

If they give me that I'll consider it worthy of the NFS Underground name.

Gloop

Please let it be an Underground reboot/remake. I've been waiting all these years...I'll try and take it with a pinch of salt.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Underground?

Idon'tbelieveyou.gif

sounds too good to be true. Will have to wait and see.

zugzug

if this game has teleport anywhere on the open world this game will be failfish. Missing the entire point of the game. Games made for Towelliee inc badstyle.

Mayjaplaya

Neo Member
Ahh I just whipped out Underground 2 for another spin yesterday!

I played the shit out of it and Carbon back when it first came out on the Gamecube; now with the magic of torrents and a computer that could actually game I went back and enhanced my childhood to 1080p with the PC version (I also tried out Porsche Unleashed... funny in hindsight, HP2 PS2, Most Wanted 05, and the first Underground). Good shit.

I especially loved the mod support in U2, like that Car Configurator so you can tune your cars' power and handling outside the game (and therefore outside the boundaries of the game)

I've been dreaming about an Underground 3 pretty much since I finished Carbon and ProStreet flopped. I'm worried Ghost/EA is going to screw this next game up, Underground or not, but it's still fun to wax nostalgia and fantasize about a perfect, modern Underground game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom