• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need Internet Router Knowledge - PLS HALP

buizel

Banned
So basically my computer is upstairs, the router is downstairs like 12ft through wall but the computer doesnt pick up the Wifi signal.

I can order a ethernet cable (but doors & my hamster may make this tricky) - maybe its the WiFi inside my PC is garbage, but it's probably the TalkTalk router I received with my internet package right? I just want it to reach upstairs, not eve 15ft away wtf

help

Breakage

Get a new router or see if you can get the provider to send you a WiFi booster (I think TalkTalk call it a WiFi extender kit).

Also download a WiFi Analyser onto your smartphone and see if the routers around you are all using the same channel as your router. If they are, go into your settings and set your router to use a channel that isn't being used by the routers around you.

greyshark

Definitely get a new router. I got a Netgear Nighthawk a few years ago and it covers every inch of my two story house. Never had that with cheaper routers I used in the past.

TheTurboFD

MoCA gang says screw WiFi. If you want good WiFi though get a dedicated AP like a Ubiquiti Unifi AC Pro and turn off the WiFi function on your router.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Linus just uploaded a video about that situation today, actually.

I don't think you're going to need a router that beefy. Most dedicated routers should do the trick for you. You could also run a wire up to your room through the walls, or use a powerline ethernet adapter.

Top Bottom