• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson: "Agnostic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

Yes, because all these pages of back and forths between various people are all about linguistics and not about, say, the actual ideas and differences behind what the words insinuate, or being completely oblivious to them as the case may be.

You'd be surprised at how good I'm "taking" this.

Uh huh. All of it stems from his improper use or understanding of the terms atheism and agnosticism.

Socreges

Banned
This thread is 10 pages of people who've come in and talked about how "annoying" atheists are.

It's the same old song and dance. Let's face it: it sucks when someone argues that what you believe is wrong.

Calling them "annoying" is mostly a self-defense mechanism. Back in the day they used to call them "evil". It's the same thing. Secretly they are somehow bad human beings for having asserted their position, which conflicts with yours.
Come on. Persecution complex. This thread is about plenty else.

And the atheists that I find annoying (some that I agree with in principle 100%) are annoying not because they "assert their position", as you say, but because they are absolutist, obsessive, obnoxious, etc. Not necessarily all at once!

He said he isn't an atheist but is an agnostic. His use of the word is improper - atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive as they do not describe the same thing. It's like saying I'm not Asian, I'm a lefty. It's incorrect.
"There are many atheists who say that all agnostics are atheists. Well. OK."

Understand his overall point. Or bury yourself in semantic irrelevance. Your choice.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The thing is, there's another way to accurately describe what I am in very clear English that everyone understands. "Not religious". It means basically the exact same thing as atheist without relying on people being smart/knowledgeable enough to know what the prefix or theist mean.

I agree with this. That's how I identify if someone presses the question.

The only problem is, a common response is.... "oh.. so you're spiritual..!":p

sangreal

You simply chose excerpts that support your assertion.

That's all I need, because my point is that there is no consensus. I'm not trying to prove that any particular usage of the term is correct.

Theism means belief in god and a means without. Theism and atheism form a binary pair. It's exceedingly simple.

So what? That means nothing. If I say you look awful, it's not a compliment and if I say you're incredible it isn't because I think you're a liar. That isn't how language works. You were correct when you said:
The purpose of a dictionary isn't to define words but to report their use.

Usage determines the definition, not etymology.

KHarvey16

Come on. Persecution complex. This thread is about plenty else.

And the atheists that I find annoying (some that I agree with in principle 100%) are annoying not because they "assert their position", as you say, but because they are absolutist, obsessive, obnoxious, etc. Not necessarily all at once!

"There are many atheists who say that all agnostics are atheists. Well. OK."

Understand his overall point. Or bury yourself in semantic irrelevance. Your choice.

He said he wasn't an atheist, or at least that he disagreed with the label being applied to himself. He is wrong.

this is exactly the kind've garbage Tyson's video was talking about.
it's possible for my views to be a bit more nuanced than the arbitrary values used here to force a false dichotomy.
To be fair, EVERYBODY uses generalizations, all of the time, otherwise communication would be unwieldly. Sure these categories aren't 100% inclusive, but that isn't a requirement for them to be useful. Categories like these should be used to start a conversation rather than pre-emptively finish one, and I think was was Tyson's point.

Volimar

I'll take your point for the sake of argument.

Lacking a God belief is another belief, that may be true.

But don't take that lack of God belief to equal an assertion that there is, for sure, no God.

There IS a distinction there. That's not just an atheist slogan. The thing is that as an atheist, I think it's perfectly possible that there's a god up there, for which I do not currently have any evidence. Believe me when I say that: he could well be up there right now.. I think it's always possible... but I just think he has never given any evidence that I can believe in, as a grown man who requires facts in order to jump on board his worship train.

I certainly do have a form of non-agnostic "belief": that the reason why most people believe in god today, "religious revelations" (Abraham, Mohommad, etc), are as hokum as any other hearsay people pass on to each other without proof: UFOs, big foot, homeopathy, conspiracies, etc. I do have a belief that those revelations are probably bunk, or if they have truth, then the reason why people believe in the traditions are indoctrinations by society. Almost no one weighs the evidence to arrive where they do. They begin their lives mired in these assumptions. Call me bloody skeptical on these events.

But I'm not closed on that point either... as soon as some theist can give me better proof of those religious events... I'm in.

So yes, atheism might be "a belief" in itself... but it's not a denial of the god possibility as commonly understood. It's a denial of religous hearsay. That's my affirmative belief. People don't have nearly enough evidence to worship as they do, or even assume a weak "ennnh maybe" stance.

If there was good evidence... someone could show me! Hasn't happened in my life.

I'm pretty sure all the theists I've ever met don't have that proof either.

Oh, I'm not arguing the merits, just the semantics. I don't give a shit what people believe, just be honest with yourselves about it.

Davidion

Uh huh. All of it stems from his improper use or understanding of the terms atheism and agnosticism.

Yeah except for the fact that his usage is completely in line with very popular definitions of the words, which dictate or change the actual meaning of the words.

But hey, whatever makes you feel better.

Time for a little more of the former, and a little less of the latter.

When you state it like that, fair enough. If the point of atheism were to be a douchebag to others just to be "right", even where no harm is being done by the religious, then they should cease.

But there should never be anything wrong with standing up as an atheist, or arguing for atheism in the appropriate setting. In that sense, there's nothing wrong with there being a "movement"

Yes, absolutely nothing wrong with standing up for your identity in a respectful way if you truly identify yourself in a certain way. I guess my only problem is with doing it excessively, especially in a boasting way, which just sets up yourself into seeing others, who do not share the same identity, negatively. With that said, I am starting to think I should not identify myself as being 'agnostic' now either, since that term greatly varies in definition too it seems like on a person to person basis. Again, I can only say I do not believe in any entity or entities, but do not rule out the possibility that there is 'something' because doing so would be kind of like taking a leap of faith since it is impossible for us to know everything. I mean, we could all be just living in a toy box right now of some giant ass kid creature, and the universe is inside a snow globe. :p

BocoDragon

Come on. Persecution complex.

No no.. I'm not feeling persecuted. Far from it. I'm not interested in "teams", only ideas.

Look over this thread and a LOT of the drive-by posts are like "Neil is right, thanks for putting those smug atheist douchebags in their place".. and that's something that needed to be commented on.

They're hardly douchebags, not even typically, so much as people who stepped on the toes of believers, and needed to be put in a box as somehow "wrong" or "bad" for asserting what they do.

It's just human nature. "Here's how you're closed minded, stupid, wrong, uncool, evil, strident, pig headed (etc etc) for saying that mean thing which doesn't agree with my assumed worldview".

It's merely the reverse of "religion and religious people are the cause of all the world's problems" which is similarly untrue.

Oh, I'm not arguing the merits, just the semantics. I don't give a shit what people believe, just be honest with yourselves about it.

Fair enough.

But I will say that some of us were arguing the semantics just to argue the semantics. Good way to kill an afternoon!

KHarvey16

I disagree. The construction of the word is clear. Atheism and theism are a binary pair and depend entirely on the meaning of the base theism. If theism means belief in god atheism must mean without belief in god.

I disagree. The construction of the word is clear. Atheism and theism are a binary pair and depend entirely on the meaning of the base theism. If theism means belief in god atheism must mean without belief in god.

But then it would be (a different reading on) morphology.
Etymology entails usage.

Have you read the text that I linked you? The one of the guy who came with the term "agnosticism"?

Pollux

No no.. I'm not feeling persecuted. Far from it. I'm not interested in "teams", only ideas.

Look over this thread and a LOT of the drive-by posts are like "Neil is right, thanks for putting those smug atheist douchebags in their place".. and that's something that needed to be commented on.

They're hardly douchebags, not even typically, so much as people who stepped on the toes of believers, and needed to be put in a box as somehow "wrong" or "bad" for asserting what they do.

It's just human nature. "Here's how you're closed minded, stupid, wrong, uncool, evil, strident, pig headed (etc etc) for saying that mean thing which doesn't agree with my assumed worldview".

It's merely the reverse of "religion and religious people are the cause of all the world's problems" which is similarly untrue.

Can we agree that Dawkins is a douchebag?

Volimar

Fair enough.

But I will say that some of us were arguing the semantics just to argue the semantics. Good way to kill an afternoon!

3b0Vz.png

:p

KHarvey16

It's interesting semantics arguments one agrees with are fine, such as NGDs use of agnostic, but those one disagrees with are petty.

IrishNinja

You dare question the all knowing infographic?

to be fair, i waited till page 6, when i felt braver

this is pretty central to Tyson's thesis statement, though: an inherent need to force a binary decision gives the feeling that one is more important with teams and sophistry than actual discussion on the concept of god.

My mistake, but I think my point was clear. If we cannot agree on what determines the 'proper' usage of a word, this discussion will go nowhere.

Oh I understood it. I hold the same position. :) As I said before, I think his reading and definition of words are valid for discussion if presented that he will be using those definitions, but they are by no stretch the only correct definition, and even more so they are not the primary definition or of common philosophical usage.
And that's what I babbled a few pages back, please peeps, don't say that already known as 'correct' definitions are incorrect just because you chose a different one!

He is definitely outspoken and some people can feel he is abrasive. But I certainly would not call him a douchebag. He's definitely a pitbull for his view but does he ever advocate jailing people? Using violence? Criminalizing opposing views? Absolutely not.

People tell him he is going to burn in hell. Fine. They can do that. But when he says their god is a fictional bully then he's the asshole? Well that is not fair. That is just his view.

BocoDragon

You know we can't :p

95% of what he says about religion is just philosophy/science arguments, which would not be controversial at all if we were talking about other topics.

That 5%, where he confidently "has a go" at his opponents? The part you are clearly referring to? Well people who agree with his position like that. :p I don't see what's wrong with saying something like "your spade is a fucking spade" unless you disagree with it.

I guess all pundits might be seen as douchebags, from the opposing end?

Hartt951

It's people like Dawkins that are leading to all the fly-by posts saying Atheists are douchebags. There are a lot of people throughout the world who take religion very seriously, but most are really nice people who do not care whether or not you believe in their religion or not. Sure there are the radicals, but most are pretty decent human beings. Then guys like Dawkins come along who writes a book in which he basically says that anyone who believes in a god is delusional. Then you have Bill Maher making a film mocking religion and calling it ridiculous. Frankly, I hate a lot of religious people. I want to straight up punch anyone who uses religion to claim thats its okay to be anti-gay, but regardless there is no need to come out bluntly making fun of religious people and calling them crazy. Like Neil said, there are a lot of people who wear "Atheist" as a badge of honor and are on their own crusade when frankly, it isn't needed. Like he mentioned we don't need a word for people who don't like golf, and we don't need to write books and have a movement about anti-golf.

That's where I feel most of the tention comes from, and it is unfair. The vast majority of atheists are good people and are not on any crusade and have no problem if people believe in god or not, but unfortunately a few bad eggs have spoiled the whole atheist image. It's not something new, it's happened with every class of people through the history of society, and hopefully just one day all these artificial differences can be set down and we can all work together for a better society for all.

If somebody is trying to sell you a line of bullshit, calling it out as bullshit isn't "being a douchebag". Its being direct and unambiguous.

I'd also like to add that a belief in a God isn't nearly the same as a belief in a particular religion's dogma. And its this dogma that Hawkins and other attacks because it affects more than just the lives of believers.

Pollux

He is definitely outspoken and some people can feel he is abrasive. But I certainly would not call him a douchebag. He's definitely a pitbull for his view but does he ever advocate jailing people? Using violence? Criminalizing opposing views? Absolutely not.

People tell him he is going to burn in hell. Fine. They can do that. But when he says their god is a fictional bully then he's the asshole? Well that is not fair. That is just his view.
Well the religious people who are advocating jailing people, using violence, etc. are douchebags as well. A douchebag is a douchebag whether he believes in God or not.

You know we can't :p

95% of what he says about religion is just philosophy/science arguments, which would not be controversial at all if we were talking about other topics.

That 5%, where he confidently "has a go" at his opponents? The part you are clearly referring to? Well people who agree with his position like that. :p I don't see what's wrong with saying something like "your spade is a fucking spade" unless you disagree with it.

I guess all pundits might be seen as douchebags, from the opposing end?

As I said before, douchebags are douchebags, even if they're
turrian-dismiss.gif
on my side
turrian-dismiss.gif

It's people like Dawkins that are leading to all the fly-by posts saying Atheists are douchebags. There are a lot of people throughout the world who take religion very seriously, but most are really nice people who do not care whether or not you believe in their religion or not. Sure there are the radicals, but most are pretty decent human beings. Then guys like Dawkins come along who writes a book in which he basically says that anyone who believes in a god is delusional. Then you have Bill Maher making a film calling mocking religion and calling it ridiculous. Frankly, I hate a lot of religious people. I want to straight up punch anyone who uses religion to claim thats its okay to be anti-gay, but regardless there is no need to come out bluntly making fun of religious people and calling them crazy. Like Neil said, there are a lot of people who wear "Atheist" as a badge of honor and are on their own crusade when frankly, it isn't needed. Like he mentioned we don't need a word for people who don't like golf, and we don't need to write books and have a movement about anti-golf.

That's where I feel most of the tention comes from, and it is unfair. The vast majority of atheists are good people and are not on any crusade and have no problem if people believe in god or not, but unfortunately a few bad eggs have spoiled the whole atheist image. It's not something new, it's happened with every class of people through the history of society, and hopefully just one day all these artificial differences can be set down and we can all work together for a better society for all.

I like you.

BocoDragon

As I said before, douchebags are douchebags, even if they're
turrian-dismiss.gif
on my side
turrian-dismiss.gif

Maybe if the criteria to appreciate someone is for everyone on the planet to like them or whatever.

It's people like Dawkins that are leading to all the fly-by posts saying Atheists are douchebags. There are a lot of people throughout the world who take religion very seriously, but most are really nice people who do not care whether or not you believe in their religion or not. Sure there are the radicals, but most are pretty decent human beings. Then guys like Dawkins come along who writes a book in which he basically says that anyone who believes in a god is delusional. Then you have Bill Maher making a film mocking religion and calling it ridiculous. Frankly, I hate a lot of religious people. I want to straight up punch anyone who uses religion to claim thats its okay to be anti-gay, but regardless there is no need to come out bluntly making fun of religious people and calling them crazy. Like Neil said, there are a lot of people who wear "Atheist" as a badge of honor and are on their own crusade when frankly, it isn't needed. Like he mentioned we don't need a word for people who don't like golf, and we don't need to write books and have a movement about anti-golf.

I don't disagree with the way you describe things. It contains truth. But do you think politics is free of such mudslinging? Sports teams? Smartphone choice? :p

OK . . . then that Merriam-Webster dictionary listing got it wrong.

I think we can all agree that Richard Dawkins is one of the most outspoken "Atheists" out there. But by his own words in "The God Delusion", he does NOT claim that no god exists. He doesn't believe in a god and he has a strong suspicion that there is no god, but even the most famous atheist in the world will not say "I believe no god exists."

So if the most famous "atheist" doesn't fit the definition, clearly their definition is wrong.

The thing is, there's another way to accurately describe what I am in very clear English that everyone understands. "Not religious". It means basically the exact same thing as atheist without relying on people being smart/knowledgeable enough to know what the prefix or theist mean.

"Not religious" doesn't actually answer the question "what is your stance on the existence of gods". It may or may not get someone off your back for the time being (though that seems to be your ultimate goal, judging from the way you treat the topic), but it doesn't actually answer the question :p

Buddhists can be considered religious, without believing in gods. And deists and the "I believe in a creator that guides me but not organized religion!" folks would also be "not religious" while still believing in gods.

other snarky answer: This guy is "not religious" also

By using atheist it isn't simply a problem for the larger society, it's a problem for me when people misunderstand it. And I don't know who is going to misunderstand it, so I'll always have to explain that it simply means I'm not religious and nothing else. It's a pointless exercise for a word that I don't care about.

Switch the bolded to "it just means I don't believe in the existence of a god, and nothing else", and that's all that would be needed for explaining "atheism" to other people. And I bet that it would take far less effort and "caring" than the posts you've spent time typing out tonight :p

edit: if you happen to live in some area where your life is actually threatened in some way from mentioning atheism, none of this applies. But if it's just "I might possibly have to clarify the term afterward!", that seems like it does more harm than good. After all, it's not like saying a different term actually solves the underlying issue someone might have with you. It's just kicking the can down the road for another time.

BocoDragon

It is called science. People with rational thinking will naturally become atheists. Don't have to "convert" shit.

Hardly. Science, to many people on this planet, is the reveal of things that God created but we didn't know about yet :p

Besides, it's not about "converting" people. It's about stating the way you think the world works, and being allowed to say how you think it works.

Liking has nothing to do with it, but civility is something that I find to be rather lacking these days. On both sides.

Well he's a pundit. I think in real life, atheists and theists are plenty kind to each other. But in debates, some people sling mud.

And that is EXACTLY why people want NDT to admit he is an atheist. If the only people to 'come out' as atheists are the brash outspoken politically active ones then that is the FALSE image that gets perpetuated. That is like thinking all gay people are ACT-UP activists if those are the only gay people you've ever heard of.

Socreges

Banned

I just felt like you were ignoring a lot of the behaviour from other people (ie, the opposite end of the people you were downing).

Anyway, I otherwise completely agree.

BocoDragon said:
An afternoon? Empires have risen and fallen alongside some of KHarvey's multi-quote arguments.

IrishNinja

I think we can all agree that Richard Dawkins is one of the most outspoken "Atheists" out there. But by his own words in "The God Delusion", he does NOT claim that no god exists. He doesn't believe in a god and he has a strong suspicion that there is no god, but even the most famous atheist in the world will not say "I believe no god exists."

So if the most famous "atheist" doesn't fit the definition, clearly their definition is wrong.

i admittedly did not read the god delusion, but - is this true? i thought Dawkins took a hard atheist stance on there being no gods. anecdotally, the fans i know of him all do.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Hardly. Science, to many people on this planet, is the reveal of things that God created but we didn't know about yet :p

Besides, it's not about "converting" people. It's about stating the way you think the world works, and being allowed to say how you think it works.

Well he's a pundit. I think in real life, atheists and theists are plenty kind to each other. But in debates, some people sling mud.

Right. Unless I'm trying to convert people to critical thinking or skepticism. Those form a much larger part of my worldview than atheism, which is merely a subset of those.

BocoDragon

I just felt like you were ignoring a lot of the behaviour from other people (ie, the opposite end of the people you were downing).

Anyway, I otherwise completely agree.

Well I did say the thread was "nothing but" that and of course it wasn't. I myself participated in good debates earlier in the thread. So point taken.

Hartt951

I don't disagree with the way you describe things. It contains truth. But do you think politics is free of such mudslinging? Sports teams? Smartphone choice? :p
Not at all. There is mudslinging in everything, but people just tend to be a lot more passionate about religion than politics/sports/phones. I'll never understand why so many wars have had to be fought over religion, but like I said, there isn't anything that people are more passionate about.

Ideally we could just move past it all, and work together on the things we do know and can prove and not the things that we can't prove, but alas we are humans and it will probably be this way until we no longer exist.

Kettch

I agree with this. That's how I identify if someone presses the question.

The only problem is, a common response is.... "oh.. so you're spiritual..!":p

That can still be a problem, but I've found it to be a lot more rare.

The big problem is with how innocuous the a- prefix is. When someone hears that you are something, they instantly group you together with others who claim they are the same thing and proceed to project certain values onto you.

However, when someone hears that you are not something, such as "Not a believer", their reaction is to simply separate you from the believers, rather than to connect you with the non-believers. I find this much more acceptable.

Pollux

Right. Unless I'm trying to convert people to critical thinking or skepticism. Those form a much larger part of my worldview than atheism, which is merely a subset of those.

Critical thinking and a belief in God aren't mutually exclusive, despite what fundamentalists and evangelicals would have you believe.

And so people with controversial and outspoken views are douchebags? Cause thats the only way I could see how Dawkins is one.
Correct. I don't care what he's saying, it's the way he's saying it and the way he almost dehumanizes those who do believe.

BocoDragon

i admittedly did not read the god delusion, but - is this true? i thought Dawkins took a hard atheist stance on there being no gods.

He definitely states that he is not 100% sure. He leaves room for doubt.

anecdotally, the fans i know of him all do.
Do they? Or is that an assumption?

I imagine that nearly every self-proclaimed atheist has allowed that they don't know what's behind the curtain, and if God appeared before them, they'd change their mind... But the general belief is that no one knows what's behind the curtain, despite what religious traditions claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom