• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neil Druckmann low key confirms TLOU Part 3 in the making

tmlDan

i just hope its after a new IP, i know that they timeskipped and he said he has a framework, so i assume they haven't started anything yet.

If it's a PS6 launch title, that would be a dream

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

Transcribed from the video by Gematsu:
I did some other interview where someone asked me about The Last of Us, and would there be any more stories or something. I mentioned we have written a story that takes place after Last of Us II that stars Tommy. I hope one day we get to make it. The headlines across the industry were like, 'Naughty Dog Has Outlined The Last of Us Part III.' And that's actually wrong. It was always a small story, it was never a full title.

At the time, we had higher priorities at Naughty Dog, to fix our pipeline, to fix work-life balance issues. Just based on where we were, I didn't wanna prioritize this story, so that story was shelved. I still believe one day it will see the light of day. I don't know if it'll be a game or a show… TBD.

The first game had such a clean concept of the unconditional love a parent feels for their child. The second one, once we landed on this idea of the pursuit of justice at any cost, justice for the ones you love, it felt like there's a clean concept here and there's a through-line from the first game about love. If we never get to do it again, this is a fine ending point. The last bite of the apple, the story's done.

The great thing about working at Naughty Dog is that we don't have to. It's always like, we would love another Last of Us, but if you guys are passionate about something else, we'll support this other thing. Very privileged position to be in. I never take that for granted.

I've been thinking about, "Is there a concept there?" And for now years, I haven't been able to find that concept. But recently that's changed. I don't have a story, but I do have that concept, that, to me, is as exciting as I, as exciting as II, is its own thing, yet has this through-line for all 3. So it does feel like there's probably one more chapter to this story.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Of course it is. Especially with the Factions cancellation. I figured it was already in motion, especially with the rerelease of TLOU2 and the second season of the show on its way. Gotta keep riding that TLOU wave.

Last edited:

zapper

it seems to me that he confirms the possibility of a third part and suggests that the next project is something else (I'm hoping for an new IP).
nothing new in these statements, I think

Last edited:
i just hope its after a new IP, i know that they timeskipped and he said he has a framework, so i assume they haven't started anything yet.

I could be wrong, but just my understanding of how this huge TV show is going to play out means that they have to be sprinting as fast as they possibly can, all hands on deck to make it in time to catch up to the show. TLOU2 = 2 years of TV. Maybe you could take a year off. That gives them like .... 3-4 years to have it done in time for the show.

But yeah, no idea. I'd vastly prefer a new IP.

Last edited:

tmlDan

I could be wrong, but just my understanding of how this huge TV show is going to play out means that they have to be sprinting as fast as they possibly can, all hands on deck to make it in time to catch up to the show. TLOU2 = 2 years of TV. Maybe you could take a year off. That gives them like .... 3-4 years to have it done in time for the show.

But yeah, no idea. I'd vastly prefer a new IP.
well LoU2 covers 2 seasons of the show and isnt coming out until 2025, so they have until 2027 or 2028/29 max to make LoU3.

I think they have plenty of time considering the current game they're working on is 4 years in development

Last edited:
So we're at the point where Neil has a concept..? Not even a story yet?

So we'll see TLOU Part III at the end of the PS6's lifecycle then.

Let's fucking go. Also a new IP as well.

Very disappointed Factions was cancelled but I can rest easy knowing part 3 is comiy

Gudji

Well yeah they're working on multiple games. Think this will be closer to PS6 or something but who knows.

The only problem with Part 3 only starting development recently is the show will have to take a major sabbatical of they want to finish off the story in both mediums

Which isn't a big deal if they can get the actors back.

Anyway I'm happy we are getting a Part 3 and am intrigued to see their new IP but I won't lie I'm.more hyped for Part 3

NickFire

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for a new IP first. The first two made big money and lead to a show. Sony will almost certainly want a third one before anything else. Big games take so long to make that it could be up to 10 years in between 2 and 3 if they do a new IP first. No way they want to let the IP cool off for that long before 3.

The arch of the main characters is complete, so the only way I see a TLOU 3 is by changing characters, environments, and the scope of the story. A time skip and humankind fighting the virus together or engaged in a civil war.

I know he mentions it's only in concept stage but I kind of don't believe him on that.

Only because Naughty Dog already confirmed they are working on multiple new single players games. So atleast 2.

I highly doubt there is two new IPs coming before Part 3.

So I reckon it's New Up first then aiming for Part 3 to be out by 2028 or 2029.

Muffdraul

So we're at the point where Neil has a concept..? Not even a story yet?

So we'll see TLOU Part III at the end of the PS6's lifecycle then.
I think it's safe to assume that he and Halley Gross had more or less figured out the next story while they were still finishing Part II. According to Ashley Johnson, the day they finished her performance for Left Behind in late 2013, maybe all of six months after TLOU released, he took her out to lunch and told her the whole story he had outlined for a possible sequel. According to her, it was very very close to what was later finalized as Part II's story.

Edit: I forgot to mention the salient bit here: long after the lunch in question, Druckmann was making comments publicly making it sound as if he still hadn't thought about what a sequel to the first game would be.

Last edited:
So do they have another project launching on ps5? Or not one naughty dog game this gen?

They confirmed this year they have multiple single player titles in development. Presumably one entered full production after Part 2 was released.

So you'd think New IP by 2026. And Part 3 between 2028-2030.

Also considering the focus on crunch I don't think Neil wants people thinking these games are coming soon. That way they can internally delay them as needed without as much pressure or backlash

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for a new IP first. The first two made big money and lead to a show. Sony will almost certainly want a third one before anything else. Big games take so long to make that it could be up to 10 years in between 2 and 3 if they do a new IP first. No way they want to let the IP cool off for that long before 3.
They already confirmed that the studio is working on a new IP.

tmlDan

This is a unique situation for the LoU though, they have a show running that will go up until 2026 or 2027 depending on how filming goes.

That will keep LoU hot and it could even blow up a third game if it is released after that.

Remember, this interview was last year and he said they have a foundation/concept of a third game. They have been working for 4 years now on something

Last edited:
Was it ever point blank confirmed another studio is taking over? I think there were rumors it's in production somewhere with ND just helping, SVA? Just like Part 1 initially
I think its just a dormant franchise at the moment. ND's next game is a new ip, which is confirmed

I may be in the minority, but I think the Uncharted franchise has been perfected. I don't think there are many things to improve upon from a gameplay perspective

Last edited:

Alebrije

Part 3....SO no prequel.

This means Elly's story end, only two ways for her : Insanity or Peace. Do not see gray shadows on her ending.

Next IP should be something on Space like PREY or a Serial Killer silence of the lambs kind of Game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom