• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neilsen: iPad & Wii U most wanted gifts in NA, 3DS 1% point above Vita for ages 13+

Izick

All damn summer. Alllllll damn summer all I heard in my house was that stupid Minecraft music along with my daughter and her friends laughing and building stuff. Then those kids wanted 360s of their own so they could play together but have their own screens. So they're getting them for Xmas. Microsoft are a bunch of idiots for not putting together a cool Minecraft 360 Holiday Bundle this year.

About 10-15 kids. They're not wearing them around their necks on chains, no. As far as I can tell, they want them for what they can do. An iPad in bed for reading and watching Netflix is a big deal to my daughter. She's not using it to compete with her friends...unless its in Draw Something.

I disagree, but eh whatever. I completely agree that MS should have capitalized on Minecraft. Kids fucking love Minecraft, and I don't blame them, cause it seems like a really cool and interesting game from what I've played.

It's weird, because as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, there's no Legos on the list, but Minecraft is basically virtual Legos, and kids (no matter how many fucking iPads, iPhones, computers, etc. shoved in their faces) are still really creative, and love being creative at heart.

I disagree, but eh whatever. I completely agree that MS should have capitalized on Minecraft. Kids fucking love Minecraft, and I don't blame them, cause it seems like a really cool and interesting game from what I've played.

It's weird, because as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, there's no Legos on the list, but Minecraft is basically virtual Legos, and kids (no matter how many fucking iPads, iPhones, computers, etc. shoved in their faces) are still really creative, and love being creative at heart.

Agreed about the Legos and creativity thing. That's what they're doing with Minecraft. And long before Miiverse drawings, kids have been playing Draw Something. Some of the stuff I see them draw on that thing are incredible. Meanwhile I draw stick figures with boobs.

All damn summer. Alllllll damn summer all I heard in my house was that stupid Minecraft music along with my daughter and her friends laughing and building stuff. Then those kids wanted 360s of their own so they could play together but have their own screens. So they're getting them for Xmas. Microsoft are a bunch of idiots for not putting together a cool Minecraft 360 Holiday Bundle this year.
That actually sounds like a good sign for the future. Better than them playing CoD all day

Izick

Agreed about the Legos and creativity thing. That's what they're doing with Minecraft. And long before Miiverse drawings, kids have been playing Draw Something. Some of the stuff I see them draw on that thing are incredible. Meanwhile I draw stick figures with boobs.

Yeah, it's kind of funny how things like that seem to lessen as you age. I think creativity is actually the reason a lot of us started playing video games in the first place, as while graphics were rad, you always put more of your imagination into it on the older consoles.

Can we laugh about Surface tablet ranking lower than Vita?

Surface has no brand appeal, bad marketing, and for adults, it has shitty internals, so nobody wants it right now, except those who really hate ios and Android/love Windows 8 RT. I say give it a year or two and see how the latest one stacks up then.

Maybe Nintendo just marketed the hell out of this on Disney and Nick on Saturday mornings and no one on GAF knows about it. Can any parents speak to Wii U's ad presence during kids' programming?

There are ads on cartoon network ALL THE TIME. Not really for the Wii U itself though, mostly NSMB U ads.Even before nintendo officially started their wii u ad campaign they aired the burger king wii u ad there alot. Also, not really a kids channel but there are nintendo related ads airing on TBS in the morning pretty much every day. Sometimes it's the Diana Agron nintendo 3DS ad, other times it's a Wii U commercial

Izick

Every adult says this about the next generation kids. People thought that kids with running water and air conditioners and tv were spoiled at one point. Technology just progresses

There's a difference between running water and a fucking 6 year old having an iPad and iPhone.

thirty

Banned
Don't these charts usually mean shit when it comes to real world sales? Either way outside of the holidays Wii U is doomed. No way around it.

liger05

Don't these charts usually mean shit when it comes to real world sales? Either way outside of the holidays Wii U is doomed. No way around it.

Who knows but I wouldnt bet on it. I dont care what people say about wii sports now, but back then plenty said the wii was doomed once the fad was over.

There's a difference between running water and a fucking 6 year old having an iPad and iPhone.

There are many education applications on both of these that are great for kids. Don't you remember the fischer price laptops? This just provides another tool for them to use. Now of course it's up to the parent, but yes kids can use iPads. And 6 year olds want iPhones for the same reason we all wanted computers to go on the internet when we were younger.

Expecting Nintendo's stock to open at an insane value, and expecting myself to make a couple grand :D. God I love how gullible investors are for gaming stocks.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

There's a difference in the visibility of the line delineating "toys" and "electronics" compared to when we were 6.

Can we laugh about Surface tablet ranking lower than Vita?

You're right. Ha. Ha. Ha. Sure is funny that a 14 year old wouldn't want a tablet device that can run a mobile version of Office. You'd think any self-respecting 8th grader would want to whip out his Surface to explain to his friends on the playground the benefits of the device via a PowerPoint presentation.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
But it was.

Except people weren't expecting the "fad" to last 4 1/2 years.

Either way, there's almost no way we'll see a repeat of that insane popularity.

slit

I wonder how many little brats go up to their parents and demand everything in that list, that they don't already have, for Christmas?

P90

piteru

Banned
A non-wiiu doomed thread ?well thats somethIng new!on topic good news for nintendo let's hope that this actually turns on true sales.on the other hand I don't see how anyone can stop apple products from not being on the customers basket.here in Greece not having an iPhone is weird.

liger05

My 2 year old wants to use my xoom all day everyday simply cos his addicted to thomas the tank engine and will just watch youtube clips all day long. He loves 'the tablet'.

Izick

There are many education applications on both of these that are great for kids. Don't you remember the fischer price laptops? This just provides another tool for them to use. Now of course it's up to the parent, but yes kids can use iPads. And 6 year olds want iPhones for the same reason we all wanted computers to go on the internet when we were younger.

Again, kids don't want these because they can do their school work on them.

I don't know, I had to go to school with a bunch of kids that got everything they wanted. I have to say it was pretty shitty growing up and not being able to have ever little luxury (especially ridiculous luxuries today like an iPad/iPhone) but it's funny now seeing how most of those kids turned out; lots of hard realizations that you can't get everything you want if you whine and cry long enough. I'm not even saying I had anywhere near a bad childhood in terms of what I'm got, but I respect that my parents had restraint.

I don't see the big deal. If stuff like the ipad was available when I was their age, I'd want it then too. Kids can be enamored with gadgets, especially gadgets that are easy to operate and play games, this is nothing new.

thirty

Banned
Doomed? Or a fad? Or both? Or neither?

same thing all over again but worse. fans and random casuals will buy the hype, no one will buy games and that'll be that. hasnt the 360 lead for more than 2 years now? and thats on the hardware side. IIRC MS has dominated in sheer software volmue too.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
same thing all over again but worse. fans and random casuals will buy the hype, no one will buy games and that'll be that. hasnt the 360 lead for more than 2 years now? and thats on the hardware side. IIRC MS has dominated in sheer software volmue too.
I can only go behind such a market research.

n64coder

Living in Japan, it's so hard to imagine DS's staying power in America.

Can anyone explain it? Are old games still selling well? What are people playing on it?

My girls love their DSes. They (12 & 9) like playing Pokemon, Dragon Quest IX on it. They also have their 3DSes with a few games each but still only play the DS.

They have not shown any interest in the Wii U yet.

3DS has been going on a software drought for sometime (although I did buy Scribblenauts Ultd. for it). Nintendo really needs to expand. They can't cover two consoles by themselves.

kodt

Banned
Wow, what? I can't understand why a 5 year old would want/need an iPad.

When i was 5 i was happy running in circles and shouting at the top of my voice.

They play games and watch videos on it.

We didn't have Youtube as kids, but now you can watch clips of cartoons on iPad.

I see no point in giving one to a 5 year old though, letting them play with one is fine, but giving would be a waste of money IMO.

Top Bottom