• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neilsen: iPad & Wii U most wanted gifts in NA, 3DS 1% point above Vita for ages 13+

Who knows but I wouldnt bet on it. I dont care what people say about wii sports now, but back then plenty said the wii was doomed once the fad was over.

The Wii was, in fact, doomed once the fad was over. It's just that the fad lasted 3+ years and 90 million units.

Plenty of stuff for a kid to try out and do/see with an iPad, so I fail to see the surprise in kids wanting one. The tactile input is also easy to grasp and intuitive. Lots of books, movies, music, video (my 8 yo daughter has recently spent quite a lot of time watching YouTube tutorials for cool Minecraft shit, then replicating that in the actual game) and applications/games.

I have a couple nieces that are 3 years old and they handle those things like nobody's business.

iPads are status symbols for kids? I haven't met kids like that. They want them for all the cool shit that they can do, not because they can show them off.

Yes, gadgets in general are status symbols, have always been. My 2 6 years old nieces want a 3DS just because other girls at their school have one, so...

They have a Wii at home but they seriously love watching me and my gf play with our PS3 and want to play with it a lot, but their friends don't have one so they don't want one. I think it's fairly simple, this shit happened with the game boy back in the day.

What's with all the hostility in this thread? Are people actually mad that a brand new console is a wanted Christmas gift? Or is it jealousy that 8 year old's have iPhones and iPads which you can't afford?

Again, kids don't want these because they can do their school work on them.

I don't know, I had to go to school with a bunch of kids that got everything they wanted. I have to say it was pretty shitty growing up and not being able to have ever little luxury (especially ridiculous luxuries today like an iPad/iPhone) but it's funny now seeing how most of those kids turned out; lots of hard realizations that you can't get everything you want if you whine and cry long enough. I'm not even saying I had anywhere near a bad childhood in terms of what I'm got, but I respect that my parents had restraint.

Of course. Even back in the C64 and Speccy days, people extolled the educational potential of the systems while kids really just wanted to play the games. Difference between then and now is that the edutainment apps on iPad are actually entertaining and teach kids at same time. But kids will still want it more so they can play Angry Birds without having to hand it back to mum and dad when they want their tablet back.

(Also I imagine some kids get their parents older apple tech when mum or dad upgrades. Kind of like how some parents pass down their old consoles too)

In most cases these sort of things are one off gifts generally, not every kid gets a high tech gift every Christmas/Birthday. My parents made it well known if I asked for something big like that, it would be the only thing I get for that season (and maybe birthday. Usually the preceding event would be limited to a game or bunch of random stuff) . I was incredibly lucky - got a Mega Drive, Game Boy Pocket, Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, GBA over my childhood and I (mostly) understood when mum told me from DS onwards I had to buy the systems myself then on. I toiled weeks of babysitting for my DS and it was worth every penny! I recall lots of negotiations for the Dreamcast and Gamecube too, usually involving trading in an older system XD.

People who simply throw such gifts at their kids without stressing the value of them are the ones that suck, if you brought little tommy a DS and kept replacing it despite the fact he was more than happy to chuck it about then yeah, that kid will have a rude awakening later on. But not every lucky kid turns out to be useless with money after with the right respects to their property and appreciation for what mum and dad do get them.

mcfrank

The people who are questioning why a kid wants an iPad obviously don't hang around kids much. I got one for my parents last year for Christmas as a PC replacement and they barely get to touch it because my brothers 6 and 10 year old kids will never ever put the thing down. Dragonvale, Angry Birds, no end of racing games, watching movies. You name it they use the iPad for it. Contrary to that list, I think the mini will be even more popular with kids since it is so much lighter.

Wow, what? I can't understand why a 5 year old would want/need an iPad.

When i was 5 i was happy running in circles and shouting at the top of my voice.

My son has been playing with "my iPad" (really MY iPad) since he was 2.5. If you've never seen them in action with one of those things, it's amazing. Completely intuitive for kids that age.

Malvingt2

My two sisters asked me for a Wii U for this Christmas . 15 & 16 years old. They want to play the new mario game.

I am shocked that the 3DS is just 1% above Life. :D

Title says '1% point' - this means adding 1 percentage point to another percentage.
Just because this is Sony's target audience am not sure why its all that important tbh. It would be more helpful if we had a total. Otherwise the real story is under 13.

watershed

Banned
I love data like this. The 3ds bit in the thread title struck me but then I saw the 12 and under numbers. With 13 and above it just shows that teens and adults aren't that interested in the 3ds or the Vita. Sucks for both Nintendo and Sony as that means folks with disposable income are much happier to spend it elsewhere.

I love data like this. The 3ds bit in the thread title struck me but then I saw the 12 and under numbers. With 13 and above it just shows that teens and adults aren't that interested in the 3ds or the Vita. Sucks for both Nintendo and Sony as that means folks with disposable income are much happier to spend it elsewhere.

And explains why Sony's 'young adult' target demo has been such a fucking disaster.
Nintendo needs to eye up that iPod touch.

More worryingly: more teenagers want a Wii than a 3DS.

Not just teens.

Sandfox

Maybe Nintendo just marketed the hell out of this on Disney and Nick on Saturday mornings and no one on GAF knows about it. Can any parents speak to Wii U's ad presence during kids' programming?

I've seen the Wii U in a few ads and retail stores(like Toys R Us) are now advertising it as well so that may be pushing it as well.

I don't know why people are surprised about Apple products being so high given the features and popularity. I'm more surprised at PC being so high with kids 6-12 though.

beast786

I am shocked as people don't know how amazing iPad is for young kids.

my son spend many more hours on his iPad than wii.

IPad as a pn educational tool is freaking awesome. It is so easy to maneuver and use without pressing a single button. He all on his own start speaking French and already knows his planets.

Games are perfect for little kids which are simple and not to long. add to the fact turning iPad on takes one sec while trying to play wii requires multiple steps and tv.

Top Bottom