• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Yeah dude maybe it's just me, but if these were given the classy treatment I'd pay really good money for them. There's nothing I hate more than shit cash-in rereleases though where they cheap out on everything and I guess just hope to nab a few suckers and call it a day and move on to the next dump. Really unfortunate because it's not like there a competitive marketplace for these, so once someone does a shit job that's kind of the end of it for that console at least.
Hamster's work on the PS4 versions of these old Arcade games are supposed to be excellent. I won't count these out unless the patches they release don't fix some of these issues.

Hopefully future emulated arcade games on Switch from Hamster won't be plagued with washed out colors, sound sync issues, or slowdown beyond what might have been in the original games. If this continues to be the case I will buy them all through Steam where they are all planned for a future release.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
This was supposed to be the best reason for having two joycons but instead has been the most disappointing. I hope it gets fixed soon.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hamster's work on the PS4 versions of these old Arcade games are supposed to be excellent. I won't count these out unless the patches they release don't fix some of these issues.

Hopefully future emulated arcade games on Switch from Hamster won't be plagued with washed out colors, sound sync issues, or slowdown beyond what might have been in the original games. If this continues to be the case I will buy them all through Steam where they are all planned for a future release.

Ok cool -- I'll keep an eye out on this thread then after the patches come out. Maybe they were just rushed for launch though yeah even though I would LOVE NG games on my switch, no way I'm getting any of these given the horrendous issues flagged so far.

EDarkness

I'm confused. Outside of the color issue, what's so awful about these games? I haven't found anything out of the ordinary in my hours of playtime so far.

Dinjoralo

I'm confused. Outside of the color issue, what's so awful about these games? I haven't found anything out of the ordinary in my hours of playtime so far.
Slowdown and sound being very delayed. Though don't take my word for it, I'm just repeating what I've heard.

I was playing Metal Slug last night. I'm not sure what the problem is tbh,I certainly didn't notice anything amiss. That being said, I'm by no means super familiar with the game so maybe someone who was would notice these issues.

EDarkness

Slowdown and sound being very delayed. Though don't take my word for it, I'm just repeating what I've heard.

I don't get it. I've put a couple of hours into Metal Slug and haven't noticed either slowdown or sound glitches. The washed out colors is pretty obvious, but I'm willing to overlook this since they're looking into fixing it now.

How is everyone's impressions on the games? I played Waku Waku 7 not too long ago, but was horrible at it. Loved playing these old Neo Geo games in the arcade. World Heroes is also great.

Against my better judgement (and hearing that they were planning fixes) I picked up World Heroes Perfect.

Sometimes it's easy to forget how these arcade only versions of the games aren't exactly great for 2 player versus.

World Heroes Perfect will allow you to each pick different characters each match, but you are stuck with the same background for every single fight.

KOF 98 forces the winner to keep their team on re-matches.

I'm not sure which is more annoying. I hope the existence of these games doesn't keep the home versions with versus, practice, options from coming to Switch VC. These games still deserve better.

Doese metal slug look equally terrrible portable and in the dock? If it's OK in portable mode I might bite the bullet and pick it up.

The coloring looks like it shifts a bit too much to a brown hue. It isn't really the worst thing ever considering a fix is coming.

The worse thing is really the sound delay. It is almost similar to input lag where your actions and what you see (hear) are not lining up, and feels bad. You can adjust for it, but why bother. Fix is coming. I'd sit tight until the patch.

The coloring looks like it shifts a bit too much to a brown hue. It isn't really the worst thing ever considering a fix is coming.

The worse thing is really the sound delay. It is almost similar to input lag where your actions and what you see (hear) are not lining up, and feels bad. You can adjust for it, but why bother. Fix is coming. I'd sit tight until the patch.

Ouch. OK, thanks for the advice. If and when it gets fixed I'm going to buy it immediately.

The broken auto-fire is pretty bad as well. MS3 will make your thumbs explode on the last level without it.

Memory

Against my better judgement (and hearing that they were planning fixes) I picked up World Heroes Perfect.

Sometimes it's easy to forget how these arcade only versions of the games aren't exactly great for 2 player versus.

World Heroes Perfect will allow you to each pick different characters each match, but you are stuck with the same background for every single fight.

KOF 98 forces the winner to keep their team on re-matches.

I'm not sure which is more annoying. I hope the existence of these games doesn't keep the home versions with versus, practice, options from coming to Switch VC. These games still deserve better.

Agree, love the arcade versions but the home editions added more options and characters which was great.

What exactly is wrong with it, again? I didn't get far enough in to get a feel for it.

The first problem is when you set it to On and you start up the game, go to character select where you pick with the Y button it won't select the character unless you mash it several times. It's like it messes with the timing of the fire button. During gameplay you can press it and sometimes the gun won't fire so you kinda have to tap it until it starts working.

The first problem is when you set it to On and you start up the game, go to character select where you pick with the Y button it won't select the character unless you mash it several times. It's like it messes with the timing of the fire button. During gameplay you can press it and sometimes the gun won't fire so you kinda have to tap it until it starts working.

Ah, I see the character select thing for sure. Maybe I misunderstood how it is meant to work in game. I figured it had a warm up period for balance.

A simple tap shoots like regular so you can switch back to that on the fly if needed.

Holding down shoots once, pauses, triple shoots, pauses, then goes full-auto?

I figured this was intentionally otherwise it turns the base pistol in a slightly weaker machine gun. Is it meant to be a digital throw, holding down immediately rapid fires?

The color issue is huge. It especially affects Waku Waku 7. Did you see my comparison shot on the previous page? It isn't subtle.

I wonder if the patch will drop this week. Praying that they can match the quality of their PS4 releases, I'll be buying every one of their releases if so.

Nosgotham

I don't get it. I've put a couple of hours into Metal Slug and haven't noticed either slowdown or sound glitches. The washed out colors is pretty obvious, but I'm willing to overlook this since they're looking into fixing it now.

Good for you. My sound is delayed by almost a second.

BiggNife

huh? why?

I like Shock Troopers 2 more than part one tbh.
(except for the prerendered style)

It's not a bad game by any means but it's a pretty significant step down from the first game IMO

Less characters, no Team Battle, ugly graphics and Metal Slug 2 levels of slowdown

Just saw a download complete icon for metal slug pop up. Patch?

Yep, all my Neo Geo games are receiving patches. Nice, effortless process on Switch! No menu's, no approving, it just downloads and applies.

Edit: Looks like it wiped my settings on some games... but... COLORS ARE BACK! It no longer looks washed out. Someone else will have to test for sound accuracy and the missing effects, but this is looking good.

essenn

Just got a "download complete" for King Of Fighters while playing Zelda. Has there been a patch/update?

Edit - Nice!

Got the update for Shock Troopers. This is how it looks:

XF64HwU.jpg

If Metal Slug is looking good, I'll be buying asap.

Waku Waku 7 has finally been done justice. One of the most vibrant and colorful games!

Got the update for Shock Troopers. This is how it looks:

2upfAeP.jpg

Make sure you put your screen filter to Off, looks like you have some smoothing going on.

So happy for this, will buy Metal Slug out of gratitude.. I'll have the entire series then. Are there new games coming this week?

Why do you people buy stuff that has significant flaws? I mean incorrect colors and no use of two player joy cons? Don't buy inferior software.

It's about sending a message.....

13ruce

Banned
Played through Metal Slug 3 yesterday had a blast gonna buy Shock Troopers next soon.

What a great replayable game that MS3 is hopefully Troopers is the same in that way!

Just checked MS3 and the image certainly looks better.

Why do you people buy stuff that has significant flaws? I mean incorrect colors and no use of two player joy cons? Don't buy inferior software.

We still sent a message, and now we have a patch that fixes (most? all?) issues. Arcade Archives on PS4 have been of extremely high quality, so I think a lot of people gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Great to hear about colors being fixed! Can anyone report if the sound and other issues are fixed in Waku Waku 7 and Metal Slug 3? Those are the games I was most interested in, but I held off after seeing how shoddy the ports were.

Colors are way better.

There is still a delay in the sound. I didn't take any pre-patch footage so no idea if it changed at all. Maybe that fix is still to come.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Eu got update for metal slug 3 .
Game looks normal now.
That switch screen make this game look damn good.

Didnt hear anything wrong with thw sound tbh.
Is kof98 also fixed?
If yes i am getting that one 2

Tain

shockingly obvious reasons: to enjoy the software they want to enjoy, even if it's imperfect.

And this does support split joycons.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Downloaded MS3 a few days ago but only played for a minute before I decided to wait for the patch. Glad it's here because that was an awesome minute!

Top Bottom