• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

vsMIC

really hope last blade 1+2 and last resort will become available. somehow i see these rarily ported outside of last blade 2 for ps4.

Jashobeam

KOF98 looks nothing like those videos, there is something seriously wrong with it. I don't know how this shit passed testing.

Are all the games currently washed out in terrible looking? I really wanted to pick one or two of them up but maybe I'll get blaster Master zero instead for now. I need something old school and easy to jump into when I need a break from Zelda.

Beepos

I don't remember the framerate being nearly this bad for MS3. Though the most I have played is the original Xbox disc version and I believe they touched up a lot of the frame issues.

deadfolk

Grabbed Nam 1975 and Shock Troopers.

Only had a chance to have a quick go at Nam 1975 so far. Forgot just how hard this game was!

So overall impressions are good ports? I really want metal slug.

I wouldn't go as far as calling them bad, but they do have some problems. Hamster has committed to fixing the worst, and even with those they are just annoying/non-optimal. The games are perfectly playable.

Can't speak to the auto-fire problem. I love the taping rhythm of playing slug standard. I flipped it on for about 10 seconds just to try it and didn't see anything immediately wrong with it, but again, not my style.

Chun-Li

Pretty disappointed with Metal Slug. The audio delay annoys me severely. And I had some issues with input delay that I couldn't resolve until I rebooted my Switch. This was while I was in portable mode.

Framerate issues are expected since that's just how Metal Slug is. There's a lot of it but I'm not sure how much is new, honestly.

ToD_

Has anyone tried playing with the RGB modes for the TV output to see if it makes a difference?

Someone tried a few pages back, and it appears these titles have issues even if you have RGB levels set properly. You could possibly mess with brightness and contrast settings to get them to look closer to how they should, but that would have create issues for all other content.

Hamster said they are working on fixing the image/sound issues. I'll be waiting for the patch and positive impressions before I grab any of these.

Loona

If you have no one else to play with at the moment, MS3 is the better choice imo.

KOF games are only great when competitive.

KoF's has some pretty nice ongoing stories which make for a decent solo experience - alas, 98 isn't a game in the series where that matters much, but managed to get really popular on gameplay alone.

Pretty disappointed with Metal Slug. The audio delay annoys me severely. And I had some issues with input delay that I couldn't resolve until I rebooted my Switch. This was while I was in portable mode.

Framerate issues are expected since that's just how Metal Slug is. There's a lot of it but I'm not sure how much is new, honestly.

Argh, this sucks to hear, but thanks for letting us know.

These look a little washed out for sure, but the emulation seems solid enough from what I've played. If they can get a patch out to fix the colors and other minor issues, then these will go from OK to fantastic.

Glix

All of these look like they're either focused on competitive multiplayer or cooperative multiplayer.

Do any of these offer a nice solo experience?

Metal Slug is amazing, solo or co-op. Best Contra-esque game EVER.

Edit-

I play the metal slug 3 port on Vita often. The switch version runs considerably worse. When you blow up the thing near the very start with the crabs, the framerate dies. I wonder if its because I was playing in docked mode and had the "additional wide graphics" on. Maybe thats too much for it, but it really seems these were rushed and need a patch to both fix the graphics AND fix the performance.

Coda

These look a little washed out for sure, but the emulation seems solid enough from what I've played. If they can get a patch out to fix the colors and other minor issues, then these will go from OK to fantastic.

Should be a patch coming next week that addresses these issues.

Tain

I just wanted to quote you because A-chan avatar xD I love Perfume!

Another Perfume fan here!

I saw them in Chicago and lost my damn mind they were so flawless~

All of these look like they're either focused on competitive multiplayer or cooperative multiplayer.

Do any of these offer a nice solo experience?

Slug and Shock Troopers are plenty great solo, don't worry.

Glix said:
I play the metal slug 3 port on Vita often. The switch version runs considerably worse. When you blow up the thing near the very start with the crabs, the framerate dies. I wonder if its because I was playing in docked mode and had the "additional wide graphics" on. Maybe thats too much for it, but it really seems these were rushed and need a patch to both fix the graphics AND fix the performance.

The Vita version is the M2 PSP version, right? I'd certainly expect an M2 release to be arcade-accurate with slowdown, but maybe it isn't? Man, there's no way the Switch is choking on these games. Emulation slowdown (as in, slower than the original hardware) usually comes with stuttery audio, too, at least in most PC emulators I've used...

linid0t

Wow the audio delay on Metal Slug 3 is actually really bad - I think I'll put off playing more until the patch hopefully fixes it. Oh well, Zelda and Voez for now I guess.

I bought all of the games knowing they were going to get patched at some point, but was still surprised at how severely Hamster screwed up. The patch better be good.

I compared Shock Troopers PSP (on Vita, so not even running at native resolution) and Shock Troopers on Switch. It is AWFUL.

What happened? Hamster's PS4 releases are incredible.

C6ggTuwXUAQO8PB.jpg

Glix

The Vita version is the M2 PSP version, right? I'd certainly expect an M2 release to be arcade-accurate with slowdown, but maybe it isn't? Man, there's no way the Switch is choking on these games. Emulation slowdown (as in, slower than the original hardware) usually comes with stuttery audio, too, at least in most PC emulators I've used...

Its the psn release that was cross buy for ps3/4/vita. Has trophies and stuff. Not sure who did the port.

Alpha_eX

All the filters and scanines are blurry mess , such a shame you can't have scanlines without a filter, best option is OFF. Set it all the way left, weirdly it starts in a way that you won't notice it.

I saw them in Chicago and lost my damn mind they were so flawless~

Omg really? I was there too! It was so busy there because the Cubs were playing right down the street, but it was so worth it. It was the best concert I had ever been to. I so hope to see them again. Remember how she said "ba na na"? lol xD

I just noticed on my own screenshot above that, even when selecting the widescreen option (which doesn't do anything in shock troopers afaik) it still cropped the screen on both sides, despite there being plenty of space.

I'm really shocked. I want to know what happened.

Also, how do you change display settings in Caravan mode on World Heroes? It won't let you and it doesn't use your display settkngs from the other game modes.

The eShop listings fail to include video footage despite the HAMSTER YouTube page having recent uploads for all games.
Here they are:

Shock Troopers
World Heroes Perfect
Waku Waku 7
Metal Slug 3
The King of Fighters '98
NAM-1975

I would almost call this false advertising. The games just do not look like this. And why is nobody talking about Shock Troopers having less horizontal pixels than the actual game?

Edit: Sorry, I just saw this post with the trailers and assumed we had some more discussion regarding these by now. That's awkward, oof.

I just noticed on my own screenshot above that, even when selecting the widescreen option (which doesn't do anything in shock troopers afaik) it still cropped the screen on both sides, despite there being plenty of space.

I'm really shocked. I want to know what happened.

Also, how do you change display settings in Caravan mode on World Heroes? It won't let you and it doesn't use your display settkngs from the other game modes.

I set the blood option in MS3 to "On" and it didn't save it the next time I loaded up the game even though the toggle still showed that I had it selected. I think they have a problem with some of the options sticking in these games. I haven't ran into it since but I'm kinda waiting for patches before I enjoy these more.

Jashobeam

I set the blood option in MS3 to "On" and it didn't save it the next time I loaded up the game even though the toggle still showed that I had it selected. I think they have a problem with some of the options sticking in these games. I haven't ran into it since but I'm kinda waiting for patches before I enjoy these more.

Yea for some reason it doesn't save your settings, I have KOF98 and I have to increase the screen size, enable uncropped widescreen mode(why is this disabled by default??), and enable scanlines everytime I play.

jjasso21

How is everyone's impressions on the games? I played Waku Waku 7 not too long ago, but was horrible at it. Loved playing these old Neo Geo games in the arcade. World Heroes is also great.

sheaaaa

Man I would love Metal Slug on the Switch but these seem like a real shit show. Will keep an eye on this thread to see if the games get fixed.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man I would love Metal Slug on the Switch but these seem like a real shit show. Will keep an eye on this thread to see if the games get fixed.

Yeah dude maybe it's just me, but if these were given the classy treatment I'd pay really good money for them. There's nothing I hate more than shit cash-in rereleases though where they cheap out on everything and I guess just hope to nab a few suckers and call it a day and move on to the next dump. Really unfortunate because it's not like there a competitive marketplace for these, so once someone does a shit job that's kind of the end of it for that console at least.

Top Bottom