• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Timu

Never play KOF. Is it like Street Fighter?
The controls take some getting used to since it's not like Street Fighter but you'll get the hang of them. Prepare for the bosses though, which most have SNK Boss Syndrome(basically overpowered, smart and cheap as hell).

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Okay, so with all these NG fighting games on Switch, has anyone tried a Hadouken movement on the (non)D-pad yet?

I have had no problems doing special moves using the analog stick. It being a bit smaller and stubbier than normal kind of helps in that regard. What I have had problems with is dashing. It's really hard to double-tap forward or backward.

Lyte Edge

Adding to this, my impressions on the analog stick is that it should be perfectly fine for more simplistic fighters, I.E. there should be no problems playing Ultra SF2 on it when it comes out, but I wonder how something like BlazBlue is going to play.

That said, the little buttons that take the place of the d-pad on the left joycon work better than you'd think, too, and are close enough that you can switch between them and the analog stick pretty easily. But I'm glad that I have a pro controller so this isn't a concern when I'm at home.

Lyte Edge

It's been a while since I've played it, but KOF '98 is the one that ditches continuity, right?

Yes, it was the first 'dream match' game.

Also note that the fighting games are all the arcade versions, so you're not going to get dedicated versus and training modes.

Can someone please tell me how or if it's possible to play two player with my joycons?

Go to the switch home menu, then to the controller menu and configure controllers. Press SL + SR on the first joycon, then the second, and they should set to separate controllers.

jonno394

FAKE NEWS

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/44254/metal-slug-3-switch-review

Disappointingly there isn't an option to play multiplayer with a single Joy-Con each, so you both need either a set of Joy-Cons or a Pro Controller

I know many people will probably overlook how they're supposed to do this, and admittedly, I really do think there should be a way to play with split joycons that doesnt involve you going in to the OS to set the joycons to act as individual controllers. Really wonder how many people are going to have problems getting two joycons to work on things liek Mario Kart unless the game does it for you.

Sheentak

FAKE NEWS

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/44254/metal-slug-3-switch-review

I know many people will probably overlook how they're supposed to do this, and admittedly, I really do think there should be a way to play with split joycons that doesnt involve you going in to the OS to set the joycons to act as individual controllers. Really wonder how many people are going to have problems getting two joycons to work on things liek Mario Kart unless the game does it for you.

Snipper clips and bomberman you can do it in game

Glix

Okay, so with all these NG fighting games on Switch, has anyone tried a Hadouken movement on the (non)D-pad yet?

It can't be any worse then the many hours I have played Alpha 3 (MAME) on a laptop using a keypad.

Its kinda like using a hitbox lol.

I'm of two minds here. On the one hand I agree it isn't intuitive considering "first class software" will kind of figure it out or ask you. On the other, I kind of like that you can set and lock it in at the OS level. Last thing I need is a game trying to adjust control config in the heat of the moment because I tilted it too far or something.

Kind of feels like one of those things that is non obvious until you learn about it, then it is the new normal.

It can't be any worse then the many hours I have played Alpha 3 (MAME) on a laptop using a keypad.

Its kinda like using a hitbox lol.

You hitbox types. I don't understand you, but dammit do I respect you.

Coda

Waku Waku 7 is cool but I'd be in complete joy if they ever port Astra Super Stars to the Switch. That game is one of the most fun pick up and play fighters I've played in a long time. Unfortunately I was in need of money about a year ago so I sold my copy. I know it's not a Neo Geo game but Hamster and Sunsoft, please port Astra Superstars, it would fit great in the Switch library.

LTWheels

On waku waku I can pull of the forward/back then half circle motions with the joycons 'dpad'. Having a harder time to get it to register pressing two face buttons at the same time for EX style moves.

Kikorin

I'd like to play Metal Slug in coop, image quality is that terrible? When the patch is supposed to come?

EDarkness

Picked up Metal Slug 3 and damn, I forgot how hard that game is. It ended up kickin' my ass and that was with a bunch of continues. Is there a way to add more after the game gets started, or is the amount I start with all I'm able to use for that play session?

I know you were asking the other dude, but for me, I'm the type that amasses a lot of games on a platform slowly over time (particularly when sales hit) because I like having easy access to them. The operating word there being easy. Having as much of that library housed under the same account/region as possible is convenient. Makes things easier to find.

If it becomes clear the game is never coming here or whatever, then sure, no big deal. I'll grab it from another region. Crazy glad the option is there. I'm fine with waiting though. I've played a lot of Metal Slug 3 in my life. I can go a couple weeks without it on my weird hybrid handheld-tablet thingy.
You can play games you download from the Japanese store on your American account.

You can play games you download from the Japanese store on your American account.

I'm aware. But 5 years from now when I have loads of games and need to find and re-download something I bought years ago? It is a minor inconvenience to have to track it down, but if I can avoid it, I will. I try to keep import accounts specific to stuff exclusive to that region as it is easier for me to keep track.

deleted

Picked up Metal Slug 3 and damn, I forgot how hard that game is. It ended up kickin' my ass and that was with a bunch of continues. Is there a way to add more after the game gets started, or is the amount I start with all I'm able to use for that play session?

If it works like kof 98, just use L to add continues/coins..

I know it's been said that the washed out colors and sound delay will be fixed on the Neo Geo releases(kudos Hamster), but I have a question about slow down in Metal Slug 3. In the first stage alone I am getting quite a bit of slowdown in the boat on water section. Was this slowdown in the original arcade or is the Switch version gimped in some way?

The only point of reference I have is the Dotemu version on Steam. I don't recall the slow down being as bad as I am experiencing on the Steam version though. Thoughts? I guess I will have to get my lazy butt to open the Steam version to compare to the Switch version.

I hope that color/sound fix Hamster promised comes soon. The game looks terrible washed out like this. Any idea if patches are global or is it by region and if a patch was for all regions or only Japan?

EDarkness

I know it's been said that the washed out colors and sound delay will be fixed on the Neo Geo releases(kudos Hamster), but I have a question about slow down in Metal Slug 3. In the first stage alone I am getting quite a bit of slowdown in the boat on water section. Was this slowdown in the original arcade or is the Switch version gimped in some way?

The only point of reference I have is the Dotemu version on Steam. I don't recall the slow down being as bad as I am experiencing on the Steam version though. Thoughts? I guess I will have to get my lazy butt to open the Steam version to compare to the Switch version.

I hope that color/sound fix Hamster promised comes soon. The game looks terrible washed out like this. Any idea if patches are global or is it by region and if a patch was for all regions or only Japan?

Metal Slug has always slowed down like a mo-fo. Especially on the original hardware. Slowdowns are just part of the game at this point. Keeps that Neo Geo feel!

Top Bottom