• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

antibolo

Banned
Why? I don't expect them to be handled by Hamster for one and the options menu lacks the 'featureless elegance' of the VC.

The Wii U VC was a mess without 3rd parties. I expect them to be back on board. It's been almost 10 years and they'd be happy to sell their systems and games to a whole new generation that is digitally more advanced than the Wii one.

It's easy money if Nintendo doesn't fuck it up.

Why would you want to pay for the exact same game twice?

I think it's pretty damn great and easily the most underrated game on the Neo Geo.

ASO II's big gimmick is that you can collect special modules to attach to your ship or buy them in-between stages. The modules, called "armors", obviously protect your ship from hits but each of the 11 armors have their own properties (durability, special attacks, etc). Some armor are naturally better suited to certain sections and boss battles but there's enough flexibility there's a lot of viable ways to get through each sections. Figuring out the armor spawn patterns, finding your favourite tactics and refining them over the course of multiple playthrough is great fun, and the whole "shop" aspect give ASO II's a long-term planning mechanic that's usually missing from shmups. This is definitely a game that needs to be played with a 1CC mindset to find its true potential.

It's not the most approachable shmup though. The game has ton of different icons to pick-up (not all of them positive) and the attract mode doesn't explain all of them. Some players have expressed incomprehension at what each item does and how the power-up system works, which is a pretty unusual situation for a shmup. Reading a wiki page should clear up things though. And speaking as someone who 1cced it on the default home console difficulty, the game is Kind of Hard, even for its genre. Enemies move quickly and spawn from everyone corner of the screen , and unusually for a shmup, most of them can tank a lot of hits before blowing up. The dynamic difficulty (or "rank") also scale up quickly and massively, at full rank the bosses fill the screen with hard-to-avoid homing shots. The MVS version has a ridiculous strict timer during the shop segments, which makes the buying armor you want kind of a pain.

So yeah, ASO II doesn't make a great first impression but if you stick with it, there's a great and unique game in there.

Great, thanks for the detailed info! I like a shmup with deep mechanics now and then.

deleted

Why would you want to pay for the exact same game twice?

Not saying I would, it would just make sense from a business perspective to do it this way.
The games releasing right now benefit from the launch push and people really wanting to play AES mode and coming on board later in the live of the Switch will have the VC as a platform to buy older games.

The putting had been infuriating for me but the game is just so fucking addictive.

Edit - OH SHIT A SHMUP ON THURSDAY AND I CAN PLAY IT IN TATE MODE!?!?!? Im in!

Edit2 - doesnt look like it was a tate game, bummer

But can anybody tell if it is a good shmup? You know - as a shmup-fan, would I enjoy it?

Menitta

Before buying Metal Slug 3: I don't need to get another version of this game. I already own 3 and I've spent so much money as it is.

After buying Metal Slug 3:

kotm-thrillhouse-full.jpg

Glix

Lé Blade Runner;233421160 said:
But can anybody tell if it is a good shmup? You know - as a shmup-fan, would I enjoy it?

At the bottom of the previous page someone gave it a very good and detailed write up. It sounds good.

In other news I just won the tournament in Germany @ -8!!!! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Eolz

It wasn't in the annual top 25 (+ mentions) of the shmups community for what it's worth. Still considered a good game though, like many reviews say (like this one for example).
I didn't like it particularly back then. It's a good one, but I'm more waiting for shmups on VC tbh.

How do you feel about Xevious? I think depending on how you answer that question will sway your feelings on ASO II quite a bit. It is a fine Xevious-esque shmup.

I downloaded ASO II from the Japanese eShop tonight and played the first few levels, really enjoying it so far. The power ups, gameplay and visual style remind me of a Compile game, getting some serious Aleste and Blazing Lazers vibes playing it.

Drewboy64

Shock Troopers is excellent. I have Metal Slug 3, but my cousin got Shock Troopers, and I kinda wish I had gotten that instead.

It wasn't in the annual top 25 (+ mentions) of the shmups community for what it's worth. Still considered a good game though, like many reviews say (like this one for example).
I didn't like it particularly back then. It's a good one, but I'm more waiting for shmups on VC tbh.

I think I am going to get it just to have a shmup on the Switch, and maybe I'll grab Metal Slug 3 as well. Thanks for the help all, though!

Before buying Metal Slug 3: I don't need to get another version of this game. I already own 3 and I've spent so much money as it is.

After buying Metal Slug 3:

Me same. And i own the NeoGeo Aes cart of the game ( US version).
"C'mon i don't need to spend more money on this"... to late.

Sakwoff

Shock Troopers is secretly the best Neo Geo game on the Switch right now. All this talk of KoF and Metal Slug, people are missing out.

It's actually one of these "pinnacle of its genre" situations.

It absolutely perfected the Commando/Mercs style of top down run 'n guns, such a blast to play.

Shame the second Shock Troopers was so bad.

It absolutely perfected the Commando/Mercs style of top down run 'n guns, such a blast to play.

Well... Now I have to get this too.

Oh and thanks to the poster above me for the power-up info. Will come in handy!

Mercs was one of my favourite games on mega drive, I would play it constantly. I think ill get shock troopers

XandBosch

Shock Troopers is legit! Better than Metal Slug IMO.

Pretty pumped for Alpha Mission II - I've always been super down for the shmups (GEMS today too, woohoo!)

You guys think there's any hopes of windjammers coming to the Switch? I can't remember if it's ever been on the Wii or Wii U, but playing Disc Jam on the PS4 has got me hooked and it would be sick to have the classic windjammers on the go.

ggx2ac

I still haven't bought a Neo Geo game on Switch since I have steam versions of some games and even the Neo Geo humble bundle that happened some time ago however, there's a couple of games I would want and they're probably not going to appear ever.

I want Magical Drop III and Super Dodge Ball, but they'll probably not happen.

Jinroh

I've just bought Metal Slug 1 and god it's ridden with extreme slowdowns, I don't remember the game having these even on PSP. Do they plan to fix it? Does Metal Slug 3 suffer from the same issue?

bigkrev

You guys think there's any hopes of windjammers coming to the Switch? I can't remember if it's ever been on the Wii or Wii U, but playing Disc Jam on the PS4 has got me hooked and it would be sick to have the classic windjammers on the go.

Sony did the legwork and it's coming to PS4. I'd put the odds of a switch version at lower than 1%

I hope so! There's been speculation that it's a PS exclusive but it hasn't been confirmed AFAIK.

The Wii Virtual Console in Japan got it, but Wii U had no NeoGeo VC.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I've just bought Metal Slug 1 and god it's ridden with extreme slowdowns, I don't remember the game having these even on PSP. Do they plan to fix it? Does Metal Slug 3 suffer from the same issue?
yep stage one super slowdown just as the original

dyergram

On giant bomb they made out you couldn't play two player on these games with the one set of joycons is that just with neoturf masters?

Glix

Shock Troopers is legit! Better than Metal Slug IMO.

Pretty pumped for Alpha Mission II - I've always been super down for the shmups (GEMS today too, woohoo!)

I really like the tension that getting a bonus for melee-ing creates. Its a really good game.

Forkball

On giant bomb they made out you couldn't play two player on these games with the one set of joycons is that just with neoturf masters?

I can't speak for Neo Turf Masters, but this is simply not true for the rest of the games. You have to manually adjust controller options via the Switch home menu though, otherwise it defaults to whatever you used when you turned on the console. If only Bombcast had corrections like the Beastcast.

ggx2ac

It's kind of nuts how fast they're pumping these NEO GEO ports to the Switch. They really aren't playing.

I wish more companies were like this.

I just want Magical Drop III.

The Dpad on the Joy-Con should be good for it with how clicky it is although I do prefer using an arcade stick.

NoKisum

I just want Magical Drop III.

The Dpad on the Joy-Con should be good for it with how clicky it is although I do prefer using an arcade stick.

Oh man, I was about to post exactly this.

Is Magical Drop possible? Or are there issues with licensing? Having Tetris, Puyo, and MD on the same portable device would be a dream come true.

Top Bottom