• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Is anyone else having trouble with Metal Slug 1? It crashes after selecting which version you want. I've tried redownloading it, but it's​ still occurring.

Any of these on the US store? My Switch is coming in on Monday, and I kinda wanna get Neo Turf Masters... but I also don't want to set up a seperate account and have two different accounts on the system for a handful of Neo Geo games.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Already finished Shock Troopers two times. Great game, highly recommended.

And having played again on the Switch directly, the blur is pretty visible after all. So I prefer not applying any scanlines (because they come with the blur).

Hamster should just allow scanlines without the blur.

Yeah, Shock Troopers is killer fun. I am contemplating picking up NAM-1975, but I don't know if I'll like the control scheme. It looks a bit odd from the longplay I watched.

Anyone here playing golf? If so do you know if hitting low or high will have an effect on the trajectory? Going uphill is a bitch.

I've been messing around with it. Hitting High definitely reduces distance and increases the trajectory - great for those uphill shots. But I'm still tinkering with how much of an impact it actually makes on the distance. I also am trying to determine how much rough, deep rough, and sand bury impacts distance. Other arcade golf games at least gave you a percentage variance (35-70% or something), so you at least had SOME idea. This game doesn't really give you too much of an idea.

Any info on what the next release for Neo Geo will be? I need to pick up Metal Slug 1 because reasons.

Is anyone else having trouble with Metal Slug 1? It crashes after selecting which version you want. I've tried redownloading it, but it's​ still occurring.

Jumped in a few times now. No crashes for me.

Question for those playing on the Pro Controller; does it play sloppily when using the analog stick for anyone else? For example, in the menu screen, if I press down on the analog stick, the cursor moves down but then up again (presumably from the analog stick going back to its original position and the game registering that an an "up" press). Similarly, if I press in one direction on the stick during the game, the character will face in a completely different direction. I have no problems with the D-pad, but the analog stick is frustrating to use in this game.

One major YUCK with the controls in K.O.F 98
The pro controller has no deadzone. So selecting characters lineup before a match is glitchy as hell.

I tried replicating this and doesn't seem to be a problem on my Pro Controller. I know the dead zone is going to be slightly different with each one, but want to make sure I fully understand the problem.

If I move in a cardinal direction and then move the stick back to neutral, it stops moving as expected.

If I move and "let it go" so it more flings back to center (I assume this is what we are talking about?), it also simply stops moving, for me.

If I move and more forcefully flick the stick back to neutral this will occasionally cause it to go back the opposite direction, but I have to really try.

Again, I am sure this is simply differences in dead zones, but is the above the sort of thing we are talking about here? I want to make sure I have it accurate before sending in my bug report.

oh, I totally missed that last line by radcliff. That sounds straight up broken, to be honest. Have you checked here to see if it is doing weird stuff?

Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Calibrate Control Sticks

iphys

Mine wouldn't download at first for some reason, and I kept selecting to download it from the eShop and it would say download started but it wouldn't download and it kept giving me the option to download it every time I went back on the eShop. After an hour of finagling, a blank box finally showed up on the menu and started downloading, and the game played fine despite all that weirdness. If redownloading hasn't helped, maybe there's something wrong with your microSD or internal flash and you could try downloading to another microSD instead to see if that works.

Subaru

Is it possible to choose alternate characters (like Orochi Yashiro) on Caravan Mode (KOF 98)?

Also, they really should let us use the shoulder buttons as shortcute. It is pretty hard to press 2 buttons to execute an EX move on Waku Waku 7 or press A+B+C on KOF 98.

Azuardo

Is it possible to choose alternate characters (like Orochi Yashiro) on Caravan Mode (KOF 98)?

Also, they really should let us use the shoulder buttons as shortcute. It is pretty hard to press 2 buttons to execute an EX move on Waku Waku 7 or press A+B+C on KOF 98.

Yeah, I think the only real way to do A+B+C nicely is hitting the two shoulder buttons and C on the face buttons.

Current bug list for ACA Neo Geo games on Switch. ❤️ Hamster. Please fix.

Bugs - All Games
  • Audio Delay -- Demonstrated here. *Captured using current latest version which fixed the color problems.
  • Scaling Artifacts - Sub-pixel noise present in all scaling configurations. Scaler does not allow pixel perfect integer scaling (x2, x3, x4) in TV or portable mode. Detail.
  • Pro-controller - Dead zone on pro-controller analog stick is too small causing sporadic input in some cases. Detail.
Bugs - Metal Slug 1 / Metal Slug 3
  • Autofire -- Sporadic start up. Input can be dropped when pressing the button such as when trying to select a character.
Bugs - King of Fighters '98
Improvements
  • BIOS Switch - Ability to flip between MVS and AES
  • Continues - Ability to set number of continues rather than just on/off
  • Scanlines -- Configure post processing blur and scanlines independently.

silentbum

Neo Member
Metal Slug 1 slows down like crazy during my play sessions, is this anything you guys are running into? I'm playing docked.

NimbusD

Played metal slug 3 for the first time today when my friend and I met up w switches and he had it.

Man that game is unforgiving, so many installs that you can't really do much about. It's super mindless fun but only with unlimited continues.

Looked at the eshop and I'm interested in the nam game because it reminds me of a game I used to play on the nes called cabal.

Azuardo

KOF 98:

Hmm, definitely noticing the issues on character position select when using the stick on the Pro - no dead zone means the cursor does jump up or down when you don't want it to.

I'm also having issues using the d-pad on the Pro pad. There was a thread recently about the problems with the Pro d-pad, but I'm definitely getting them here. When I'm trying to do quarter circles or just left and right inputs in general, it very often also outputs an up command, meaning I'll jump or the desired input just won't be the one I asked. I've actually resorted to using the control stick, which is faring better... although this is uncalled for to me - I am religiously a d-pad person when it comes to 2D games, and especially 2D fighting games. I'm astonished that the d-pad isn't doing what I ask it to here, which is disappointing for a Nintendo console.

CO_Andy

I'm also having issues using the d-pad on the Pro pad. There was a thread recently about the problems with the Pro d-pad, but I'm definitely getting them here.
I don't have any neogeo games on the Switch, but from my testing with the Pro Con's dpad on PC i can easily do Gief's SPD in SF2 as well as every other special motion.

I'm a little confused by the ratio discussion.

When I set Ratio to 150 on handheld, it stretches it wide and I have to reduce the size to even get there.

What I thought everyone was suggesting setting to 150 is apparently actually "Size."

Is 150 ratio a stretched widescreen? What size are people using?

andymcc

Banned
Played metal slug 3 for the first time today when my friend and I met up w switches and he had it.

Man that game is unforgiving, so many installs that you can't really do much about. It's super mindless fun but only with unlimited continues.

Looked at the eshop and I'm interested in the nam game because it reminds me of a game I used to play on the nes called cabal.

Why are you playing a metal slug with infinite continues.

When I set Ratio to 150 on handheld, it stretches it wide and I have to reduce the size to even get there.

What I thought everyone was suggesting setting to 150 is apparently actually "Size."

There is currently no good scaler settings. Set it however makes you happiest or stick with the defaults: 160,100

And all scaler settings I have discussed previously are size, not ratio. Changing ratio from 100 stretches things as you observed.

Just got my switch. Top 3 neogeo games to get that are not fighting?

Shock Troopers
Neo Turf Masters
Metal Slug 1

EEEEEEEEAAAAAGLE

hqdefault.jpg

man, this game is so satisfying. I was so excited for my eagle that in the next course I went triple boogie.

w0s

I've been messing around with it. Hitting High definitely reduces distance and increases the trajectory - great for those uphill shots. But I'm still tinkering with how much of an impact it actually makes on the distance. I also am trying to determine how much rough, deep rough, and sand bury impacts distance. Other arcade golf games at least gave you a percentage variance (35-70% or something), so you at least had SOME idea. This game doesn't really give you too much of an idea.
Maybe that is my problem. I was thinking low meant hit the ball low (literally). I've been getting better with hooks and slices which seem to be helping as well. One thing I like about this is compared to the golf games these days hitting the meter where you want it is a ton easier.

Sometimes reading the green is a bitch as well when paying attention to the arrow. Sometimes it seems like even if it is left or right it won't make a difference and instead just follow your gut with the curve of the hill.

It definitely is minimal on what it tells you. I often have to pay attention to the pre-hole graphic to know how far my second shot will be if it is a long par 4 or a par 5.

150 size.
100 ratio.
Handheld.

Mine wouldn't download at first for some reason, and I kept selecting to download it from the eShop and it would say download started but it wouldn't download and it kept giving me the option to download it every time I went back on the eShop. After an hour of finagling, a blank box finally showed up on the menu and started downloading, and the game played fine despite all that weirdness. If redownloading hasn't helped, maybe there's something wrong with your microSD or internal flash and you could try downloading to another microSD instead to see if that works.

Tried everything and it's still giving the same error no matter what. I sent an email to support, hoping this could be cleared up. I've not had any issues with any other games.

I've never played a metal slug game. Should I jump in with 3? What should I expect from a metal slug game?

Start with 1. It has a much more even difficulty curve and normal arcade length
and it's better
. 3 Is way, waaaaaaaay harder, pretty long (for an arcade game), and, while it's not exactly a story-driven game, there's a twist at the end that'll have more impact if you've played the prior games.

Expect: Gorgeous animations, chaos, dying a lot.

Eolz

How is the Waku Waku 7 port? Interested in getting it.
Really hoping we'll get Metal Slug X at some point too. I don't have hope for Windjammers and Garou, but who knows...

I've never played a metal slug game. Should I jump in with 3? What should I expect from a metal slug game?

3 is harder, I'd jump in with 1 tbh.

You can create your own continue count by inserting the number of credits at the start and when you hit 0 it is game over. The only reason I suggested being able to set a variable continue in the improvements section above is to remove temptation when you eat it mid-stage 3 and dump in a couple more credits (we've all been there).

Start with like 5 credits and see how you do. Don't need to start at the 1CC grind, can always improve.

mstevens

Friend is coming over tonight and I'd like to pick up a NEOGEO game so we can play some co-op. I'm not a fan of fighters, so I'm leaning toward the Metal Slug games. Does Metal Slug 3 have as much slowdown as 1 (I watched a youtube video with quite a bit of slowdown.)

Memory

Friend is coming over tonight and I'd like to pick up a NEOGEO game so we can play some co-op. I'm not a fan of fighters, so I'm leaning toward the Metal Slug games. Does Metal Slug 3 have as much slowdown as 1 (I watched a youtube video with quite a bit of slowdown.)

Shock troopers is better for coop IMO. Yes both ms games have comparable slowdown issues.

Do these games come from the Neo geo console or arcades? Im assuming arcades based off playing turf masters. What are the console versions like?

Top Bottom