• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Glowsquid

Over top is kinda meh and pretty basic.
I suggest waiting for the VASTLY superior Neo Drift Out which is still awesome nowadays.
(although I think licensing will be a problem...)

afair it's some sort of a timed highscore "race" through stages. at least that's what I remember from shmups

NDO the game you never have to touch the brakes? Push comes to shove I'd probably lean NDO as well though not because Over Top is more basic. I would argue the opposite. NDO is tighter in its focus of its mechanics.

vt8V8l5.jpg

seriously tho, Thrash Rally is much better than Overtop

NDO the game you never have to touch the brakes? Push comes to shove I'd probably lean NDO as well though not because Over Top is more basic. I would argue the opposite. NDO is tighter in its focus of its mechanics.

each to his own
I vastly prefer NDO as it's way more arcadish and flashy with all it's frantic pedal-to-the-metal action, Samurai Shodownish zooming etc.
Over Top feels more like an amiga 500 game in comparison.
it doesn't belong into an arcade (again: IMO)

each to his own
I vastly prefer NDO as it's way more arcadish and flashy with all it's frantic pedal-to-the-metal action, Samurai Shodownish zooming etc.
Over Top feels more like an amiga 500 game in comparison.
it doesn't belong into an arcade (again: IMO)

ADK definitely has that looser/jankier thing going on with their games. It always felt like they were decent, but if they were given an extra month, or maybe someone stepped in who could give it that extra 10% to pull it all together or something, then they would have really killed it.

Twinkle Star Sprites is fun as shit though. And I've always liked what Crossed Swords was angling at, even if the execution falls flat.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Arcade Classics Archive?

No, just Arcade Archives. Maybe they didn't want to be mistaken for the AA? lol
They shortened the name in Japan as アケアカ (so "akeaka" from "akedo akaibusu"), but that wouldn't make much sense in English. Maybe they could have went with "ACAC", but that would look weird.
This is just for the Neo Geo releases, btw., as far as I know all the arcade games are released under the full name "Arcade Archives".

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I was trying out Alpha Mission II last night and I don't understand it. Is there a good spot to look up general info and instructions on what's going on for it? I know I could hit up GameFAQs or something, but I wasn't sure if there was a good forum or site for Neo Geo stuff in particular.

Jucksalbe

Banned
So I was trying out Alpha Mission II last night and I don't understand it. Is there a good spot to look up general info and instructions on what's going on for it? I know I could hit up GameFAQs or something, but I wasn't sure if there was a good forum or site for Neo Geo stuff in particular.

Did you look at the in-game manual? That helped me quite a bit to understand the mechanics.

Jazzem

I really want all of the Metal Slug games on the Switch. Even 7/XX.

I wanna flirt with Cynthia the drill instructor again.

ms7-thumb.jpg

She's so precious.

Bahaha oh wow, I'm juxtaposing that with all the brutal insanity that goes on throughout the MS games, is a weird mismatch :p

Bahaha oh wow, I'm juxtaposing that with all the brutal insanity that goes on throughout the MS games, is a weird mismatch :p

I like to pretend that all the Combat School waifus are these creepy death fetishists who're really into mass killers.

Hmmm making me want to dust off my DS cart of it and play it finally.

It's not really a looker (most of the backgrounds are varying shades of brown and grey, and they have that weird rendered look from 6), but it finally abandons the boring mummies/zombies/boring bullet sponge enemies, has a relatively even difficulty curve, and has some of the best boss fights in the series. Plus the things from MS6 like the combo system, weapon switching, and different skills for characters.

Glowsquid

What aspect of AM2 do you have trouble with?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What aspect of AM2 do you have trouble with?

I'm confused about what the various powerups do, but the "special mode" is where you hit a button and transform, bombs (or if there are bombs), etc. There's a bunch of systems at play and I'm not entirely sure how they work.

I'm confused about what the various powerups do, but the "special mode" is where you hit a button and transform, bombs (or if there are bombs), etc. There's a bunch of systems at play and I'm not entirely sure how they work.

There is some more nuance but the basic flow you are looking for is collect money, buy upgrade at end of stage (upgrades can be gathered in stage, as well), pop upgrade at opportune time.

Once you've toyed with various upgrades move on to optimizing but don't sweat it too much right now.

Glowsquid

The controls

There are two different control configs to choose at the start of the game: In the first option, shots (air targets) and missiles (ground targets) are mapped to the same button, special armor attack are mapped to the 2nd button, and opening the menu to select armors is the third button. In the second, regular shots are mapped to the first button, missiles are mapped to the 2nd button. With this control config, missiles cannot be shot while some (read: most) armors are equipped.

Because of this ,the 1st control config is far more competitive and the one you should use.

Power-ups

There are three different kind of collectables in AM2: capsule icons, ground icons, and armor parts.

Capsule icons:
These are the icons that appear when you shoot the blue capsules that appear at the start of each level. S increase the speed of your ship, L increase the power and range of the laser, M does likewise for missiles, and G adds one unit of money to your account. Shooting a letter item will turn it into the next item in the sequence until it becomes G. When your ship is fully upgraded (each power-up has 4 levels each), the capsule icons become purple and reversed: picking one of those "negative" icons will downgrade the attribute by one.

When an armor is equipped, the capsule icons will become an orange E pick-up, which restores one unit to the armor's energy bar. Depending on how powerful the currently-equiped armor is and how long you've lost your last live, the energy pick-up may become negative instead.

Ground icons: These are the icons that appear when you blow up the square atop those pyramidal structures.

572802-alpha-mission-ii-neo-geo-screenshot-blast-the-baddies.png

Yellow G: Add one unit of money to the account.

Red G: Add ten units of money to the account.

Blue E: Restore 5 units to the armor's energy bar (only appear when armor is equipped)

Red E: Fully restore armor energy bar (only appear when armor is equipped)

Purple E: Decrease armor energy bar (only appear when armor is equipped)

1-Up: Self-explanatory

Red K: Lets you keep your ship's power-up levels (at the time the icon was collected) after one death.

Gold W: Move the screen ahead.

R: Moves you back to an earlier portion of the level.

Purple Skull Icon: Reverts you to the lowest power-up level and takes away every armor in inventory.

Flashing numbers: See below.

Armors

You start the game with one armor in stock (LASER for 1P side, HOMING for 2P side). You can get armors by collecting them in the levels or buying them in-between stages (that's what the Gs are for). You can have a maximum of 5 different armors in stock + whatever you have currently activated.

To collect an armor during the level, you need to collect one of the icons that alternate between a number and the name of the armor (see picture above). You need to collect 3 icons for the same armor in a row (you collect part 1, then part 2, then part 3). If you collect 2 parts for a given armor and then collect the part for another armor ,then you have to start all over again.

As for what each armors do, http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/Alpha_Mission_II#Gameplay

There are some more subtletis, but I tried to not be too overwhelming. I hope this helped! (I wish this forum had color formatting)

I like to pretend that all the Combat School waifus are these creepy death fetishists who're really into mass killers.

It's not really a looker (most of the backgrounds are varying shades of brown and grey, and they have that weird rendered look from 6), but it finally abandons the boring mummies/zombies/boring bullet sponge enemies, has a relatively even difficulty curve, and has some of the best boss fights in the series. Plus the things from MS6 like the combo system, weapon switching, and different skills for characters.

Watched a few videos, almost seems like the PSP/Vita version has some improvements? Or just stick with the DS version?

The picture of Cynthia the drill instructor is from Metal Slug 7!

And yes if you play your cards right and choose the right responses, you can marry her.

But I prefer XX since it's the X to 2! Plus it included an extra playable character as DLC!
latest

Leona Heirden from King of Fighters!
Plus it has an awesome rendition of the Final Attack theme!
The violins!
Yes. Kinda.

You know what game I also really want to be on the Switch?

Spin Master
spin1-3.png

I absolutely loved playing this game on Neo Geo (after Metal Slug of course) and I would love to see it on Switch.

People have told me that the game is a piece of trash so maybe it's just my childhood nostalgia kicking in but still.

Top Bottom