• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Really excited Blazing Star is coming since it hit Wii VC in Japan but missed the U.S. back in 2011/2012 probably since Wii was on its last legs at the time. Too bad Pulstar probably isn't doable.

Soi-Fong

First time I played Samurai Shodown and it's a freaking blast! Had a ton of fun at work playing against co-workers. Waku waku and Samurai Shodown have just been tons of fun overall.

I'm trying to get more into KOF 98, but I'm just horrible at it. lol

I want Samurai Shodown 1.
it has a special place in my heart and I still like the "simplier" graphic style over it's successors more detailed ones.

Some beat'em ups and more shmups would also be nice. Sengoku is a nice start but there are more.
Burning Fight
Robo Army
Mutation Nation

Sonig Wings 2 (and maybe 3)+
Ghost Pilots
Strikers 1945 Plus (although it's HIGHLY unlikely :(( )
Ando Dunos

it has a special place in my heart and I still like the "simplier" graphic style over it's successors more detailed ones

My man. Samurai Shodown 1 is on my top 3 best games ever. I love it so much, over any of the sequels. 1>3>2>4. Thats how i rank SNK (not Playmore) Samurai Shodowns. I love them all.
SS1 was the game that cemented my love for SNK. This and Fatal Fury Special blew my mind to this day. Was the game that motivated me to get a NeoGeo.

it has a special place in my heart and I still like the "simplier" graphic style over it's successors more detailed ones.

Some beat'em ups and more shmups would also be nice. Sengoku is a nice start but there are more.
Burning Fight
Robo Army
Mutation Nation

Ghost Pilots
Ando Dunos

+1 for Robo Army. Fun as fuck.

grendelrt

Burning Fight
Robo Army
Mutation Nation

Ghost Pilots
Ando Dunos
Mutation Nation is one of my favorites, its an OK beat em up, but the art style and content is so awesome.

As far as non-fighters go, my dream list would be...

Sengoku 3
Sonic Wings 2 and 3
Pulstar (unlikely)
Windjammers (maybe unlikely because Data East)
Super Sidekicks 3
Strikers 1945 Plus (also unlikely)
Puzzle Bobble 2 (also unlikely because Taito)
Top Hunter
Neo Drift Out
Neo Bomberman (also unlikely because Konami)
Money Idol Exchanger

Pulstar was also on the Japanese Wii VC and was part of the recent SNK humble bundle.

Robo Army is great! I really do hope it gets a release since it's one of SNK's few Neo Geo games that's never been rereleased on any service (beside Gametap...) or as part of a compilation

Pulstar is actually my favourite of the neo geo shmups. This is ACA release I'd probably like the most actually. It's criminal what the Pulstar MVS carts are going for these days! I got one for like $80 around 8 years ago...a cursory check on eBay shows over $500 CDN. Yikes.

Sakwoff

Thirded. I've never been able to warm to any Metal Slugs but Shock Troopers scratches that itch and is purely is delightful. Shock Troopers 2 looks...odd. Hopefully it's just as good.

It isn't, sadly. I wouldn't mind the art style if it was great otherwise, but everything about it was a gigantic letdown from the first.

Another approach. Hopefully more straightforward and self-explanatory. <3

7lxEeTM.gif

static image

I'm still pretty sure we won't see any post bankruptcy SNK games on the Switch or any digital platform any time soon. ACA put Samurai Shodown 4 instead of 5 because it's the last SS game they made before they went bankrupt and had to sell their IPs to other companies.

Really should start with using only 3 continues and work lower from there all the way to 1CC.

Tried to find a good range that covered as many people and games as possible. The steps are suggestions. Nobody needs me to tell them how to play their video games, they can deviate or change the fidelity between steps as much as they like.

I am curious what is it about 3 that feels like the limit to you? I don't necessarily agree or disagree. I think it varies by the game. I admit in my experimenting 7 felt like the highest I would personally go, but there are a shitload of arcade games out there I've never played so who knows. Beyond that too much tension is removed from the game, but that line is a very personal thing as far as I can tell.

Glowsquid

I'm still pretty sure we won't see any post bankruptcy SNK games on the Switch or any digital platform any time soon. ACA put Samurai Shodown 4 instead of 5 because it's the last SS game they made before they went bankrupt and had to sell their IPs to other companies.

SNK retained all of its licenses when it reformed as Playmore and even acquired more by buying ADK's assets. KOF XI, Twinkle Star Sprites La Petite Princesse and Neo Geo Battle Coliseum are all Playmore-era games that got recent digital releases.

Timu

Tried to find a good range that covered as many people and games as possible. The steps are suggestions. Nobody needs me to tell them how to play their video games, they can deviate or change the fidelity between steps as much as they like.

I am curious what is it about 3 that feels like the limit to you? I don't necessarily agree or disagree. I think it varies by the game. I admit in my experimenting 7 felt like the highest I would personally go, but there are a shitload of arcade games out there I've never played so who knows. Beyond that too much tension is removed from the game, but that line is a very personal thing as far as I can tell.
Normally like 3-5 is what console games had for continues, not to mention AES versions of Neo Geo games had 3 continues as well.

Normally like 3-5 is what console games had for continues, not to mention AES versions of Neo Geo games had 3 continues as well.

If someone is really, truly struggling with 3 continues do you think it is better to increase to 4 or lower the difficulty?

AmyS

I got Samurai Shodown IV (and Alpha Mission II).

The Hamster ACA ports in general have been good on PS4, and now Switch.

I wish Samurai Shodown Anthology had screen options like the ACA series.

KAOS

Can't wait for my more neo geo goodness on the switch. If I had a wish list it would be...

Viewpoint
Wind Jammers
Top Hunter
Lastblade 2
Power Instinct
Prehistoric Isle 2

Timu

If someone is really, truly struggling with 3 continues do you think it is better to increase to 4 or lower the difficulty?
That is a good question. I would say increase the continues in that case as it's better to try to learn the game on it's current difficulty setting. Some games may force you to lower the difficulty though.

SNK retained all of its licenses when it reformed as Playmore and even acquired more by buying ADK's assets. KOF XI, Twinkle Star Sprites La Petite Princesse and Neo Geo Battle Coliseum are all Playmore-era games that got recent digital releases.

None of them are Neo Geo games, though.

Windjammers (maybe unlikely because Data East)
I mean a rerelease is coming so it seems they have figured out the licensing issues. And just like with Metal Slug 3 and Motw, just because PS4 gets the version with online, doesn't hinder hamster to release the arcade version.

None of them are Neo Geo games, though.
SSZS is however. The atomiswave games could still be released as ACA series games.

Some of Playmore neo geo games like Metal Slug 5 and KOF 2003 have been rereleased as part of compilations. Metal SLug 5 is in Anthology and that was put on the PS4 store a while back.

He mentions that, because only Neo Geo is announced as part of the ACA series for switch. All the other ACA releases like Darius aren't so far. Man Darius would be good on switch...

Over top is kinda meh and pretty basic.
I suggest waiting for the VASTLY superior Neo Drift Out which is still awesome nowadays.
(although I think licensing will be a problem...)

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but what is Caravan Mode? Is it a modifier or something?

afair it's some sort of a timed highscore "race" through stages. at least that's what I remember from shmups

Glowsquid

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but what is Caravan Mode? Is it a modifier or something?

In shmup parlance, "Caravan mode" is a mode (usually declined in two minutes and 5 minutes variation) where you are put a special stage and have to score as many points as possible in the time limit. For the arcade archive series, it's just a timer that ends the game after 5 minutes.

I used to play Metal Slug 3 and Metal Slug X with friends, but I always considered them to be "coin-feeding" games because shit was just too unpredictable and crazy. Way too many things happening on screen in all sorts of bizarre ways, and for way too long. They left me exhausted by the middle of the game, and after that it's almost like a chore to continue to the end. I loathed the transformations (zombie/mummy etc) as well.

Yesterday I got Metal Slug 1 on Switch, first time playing this one. Oh man. First time's the charm: This one is just perfect in terms of pacing, intensity and length. I love it.

Debating whether or not I should also get Shock Troopers.

Over top is kinda meh and pretty basic.
I suggest waiting for the VASTLY superior Neo Drift Out which is still awesome nowadays.
(although I think licensing will be a problem...)

NDO the game you never have to touch the brakes? Push comes to shove I'd probably lean NDO as well though not because Over Top is more basic. I would argue the opposite. NDO is tighter in its focus of its mechanics.

Memory

Thanks, in the US shop they haven't shown Neo Geo games coming soon. They just pop up for sale on thursdays.

Ah I see, they used to have Wii U/3Ds new game press release on Thursday in US while we got them on Monday. Now we get them same day as you guys, seems we still get more of a heads up via the eShop though.

Not sure why they keep the news until the last minute if it's already finalized.

Top Bottom