• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Beckx

All ROMs are "downloaded". Virtually no company has kept archives of their binary code from the 8/16 bit era. Every commercial emulator out there uses ROM dumps that came from grey area sources.

thanks 411

FWIW I gave it a shot on metal slug and none of the combinations worked. I also tried random combinations for the hell of it.

I'm in the camp that believes an AES switch chances are low, but I'd love to be wrong. I thought continue config was basically zero so the sky is the limit.

oh well. was worth a shot :)

Peltz

All ROMs are "downloaded". Virtually no company has kept archives of their binary code from the 8/16 bit era. Every commercial emulator out there uses ROM dumps that came from grey area sources.

Why don't they just dump from a cart themselves? It isn't hard to do.

Why waste time dumping from cart when pre-dumped ROMs are freely available on the net?

reece.JPG

antibolo

Banned

Faster and cheaper to just grab the ROMs online than to start investing in the proper equipment for dumping, and getting actual carts of the games which they also probably don't even have.

People have disassembled NES VC releases, and the ROMs inside had full iNES headers.

antibolo

Banned
Samurai Shodown 4 health bars are supposed to flicker by design. That's how you did transparency effects back then, when the hardware wasn't able to do it for real (ie. SNES).

Those effects tend to look bad in emulators because the refresh rate of the real hardware doesn't exactly match the modern LCD display that the emulator renders to. This is especially true on the Neo Geo which runs at the exotic refresh rate of 59.15 Hz (iirc).

ScOULaris

Could someone upload some footage of SamSho4 on the Switch? I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth buying when I have it readily available on my RetroPie setup. I'd like to see how it looks with scanlines on/off too, if possible.

It's a shame that these ports apply a blur filter along with the scanlines from what I've been reading. That makes no sense to me.

Beckx

Could someone upload some footage of SamSho4 on the Switch? I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth buying when I have it readily available on my RetroPie setup. I'd like to see how it looks with scanlines on/off too, if possible.

It's a shame that these ports apply a blur filter along with the scanlines from what I've been reading. That makes no sense to me.

It's not footage, but here's the scanline option I use. I don't know what the right term for it but it makes a bar shaped thing roll vertically down the screen simulating an old CRT. I don't really like that but it's not too noticeable.

C9Qum1FVoAAy6y2.jpg

C9Qu7wxUMAAlOPl.jpg

Glix

It's not footage, but here's the scanline option I use. I don't know what the right term for it but it makes a bar shaped thing roll vertically down the screen simulating an old CRT. I don't really like that but it's not too noticeable.

C9Qum1FVoAAy6y2.jpg

C9Qu7wxUMAAlOPl.jpg

The "A" series is the exact same scanlines without the vertical roll.

Glix

Samsho2 over 4 for me...

But only because we had the cab in the lunchroom at my high school so it has a special place in my heart.

(We also had a fucking WHIRLWIND if you can belive it!!!! This was '95ish)

grendelrt

I like SamSho 2 the best but 4 is a close second. Those are the 2 highlights of the series.

Two, Three and Four are all awesome for different reasons. The art and pixel work in 3 is some of the best in the series. Cant go wrong with any of them, they all are worth purchasing.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
hoe good is Samerai Shodown 4? Get is one of hold off for another in the series? Which one is deemed the best?

SamSho 4 at this point is largely my favorite. SS2 is a classic, but the play experience is pretty dated and sluggish next to SS4.

kbohs

Is it worth it to pick up Samurai Shodown 4 if I don't really plan to play local multiplayer? The characters and setting are really appealing and I don't mind playing single player if the AI is good enough. I imagine there is an arcade mode, anything in the way of a story mode?

ScOULaris

Slugish??? No way!
And SS 3 is better than SS 4 😎
Alright, easy there buddy. SS3 is still a good game, but the rounds are over in like five seconds every time due to the absurdly high damage output. It's like they merged Bushido Blade with Samurai Shodown, which is cool but still not as good as SS4 IMO.

I picked up SS4 on the eShop this evening, and I'm happy with it. I'd like for them to patch in a video option for scanlines without smoothing, however. I'm getting used to playing with the left joycon "d-pad," and for a game like SS4V it's actually perfectly usable.

Beckx

But this person that sold roms isn't a company that made or published the games right.?

folks, i was making a joke about how anything was possible, the dotemu situation is 100% legal. SNK can't pirate it's own roms and dotemu got put them together for SNK to sell on humble. I repeat SNK is the seller. They're still there! You can buy them! And you should, because it's a great deal and you can run them in emulators!

if you take the discussion about roms elsewhere I promise I won't make any rom jokes in this thread ever again.

folks, i was making a joke about how anything was possible, the dotemu situation is 100% legal. SNK can't pirate it's own roms and dotemu got put them together for SNK to sell on humble. I repeat SNK is the seller. They're still there! You can buy them! And you should, because it's a great deal and you can run them in emulators!

if you take the discussion about roms elsewhere I promise I won't make any rom jokes in this thread ever again.

I was just trying to understand... I dont know dotemu

Is alpha mission 2 any good? looking for a good co-op game that isnt a fighter or metal slug

It's a solid game, but I think I would still recommend Shock Troopers as the best co-op game after Metal Slug series.

I actually prefer Shock Troopers over MS, but I know I am in the minority there....

ScOULaris

I take it back. This "d-pad" sucks. I really hope that we get some of official solution to this in the future. Playing 2D games in portable mode just isn't as comfortable or precise as it should be with the current left joycon design.

Hey there, how you doing? The following is something I've wanted to put together for a while and Hamster's inclusion of configurable continues in Alpha Mission II was the final kick in the ass I needed. I've talked with a lot of people about arcade games over the years and while many get the whole 1CC thing it is often a bridge too far. Complaints of rote memorization with no appreciable progress means tedium. If 1CC is a mountain you see unlikely you'll ever climb, consider a more structured approach.

A Par System
Playing an arcade game with infinite continues is boring. There is no challenge. No tension. Deaths are meaningless. Life is meaningless. Just unplug the cabinet and go home. The premise here is simple. A continues par is set for a game, with steps between par and 1CC which serve as goalposts. The tricky part is ideally par will challenge someone new to the game, where completing is within grasp, but still requires you to be engaged and attentive.

As of right now I am using the very scientific method of playing through the game as closely as I can to how I think someone new would to get an idea of a good count, and then chopping that in half each step. It is not perfect, but hopefully with some refinement we can find a good general curve to follow. Here are my recommendations for a couple games that will very likely need adjustment so if you give this a shot let me know if these feel way too high or low. Likewise, below are some suggestions of how to track this many continues easily whether you are using the new continue feature, or in another game like Metal Slug that does not have it.

Code:
				~TIME	PAR	BIRDIE	EAGLE	ALBATROSS	1CC
Alpha Mission II		00:39	28	14	7	3 		0
Metal Slug			00:26	23	11 	5	2		0

• ~TIME - Approximate time (hh:mm) for a full run through of the game.
  • PAR - With basic familiarity with the game/genre beating the game with this number of continues is attainable by essentially everyone. Should still offer some challenge, this is the line between infinite continues and engaged with the game.
  • BIRDIE - Requires some dedication and a decent grasp on the game's mechanics, systems and levels.
  • EAGLE - Solid understanding of the game end-to-end, further refinement required, but you know what is coming over the next hill.
  • ALBATROSS - Essentially mastered surviving the game. You know the exact spots you need to iron out.
  • 1CC - Survival Mastery.
How do?
Alpha Mission II includes continue count limits so it makes this easy to setup and enforce. In Game Settings, Continue will let you set the maximum number of continues. Doesn't matter if you dump 99 credits in, once you have continued this many times you will get Game Over.

Unfortunately this has not been patched into any other game yet (and likely won't since it is a built in feature), but all is not lost. You can sort of accomplish the same idea. When you start a game like Metal Slug, insert the number of credits at the start (technically +1 to all the numbers above for your starting credit), as you play continue as normal, once you hit 0 that is it. It is the honor system so it is on you not to dump an extra credit or two. Even then it is easy to accidentally tap the insert coin button. You can try remapping Add credits to just ZL to help if accidental drops is a concern.

Soi-Fong

Soo many fighters!! I already have Waku waku 7 and KOF 98, but thinking of ponying up for either Samurai Shodown and definitely Garou.

I really really need Super Sidekicks 3 though! I'm itching for an arcade football game on the Switch!

13ruce

Banned
Nice so shock troopers second squad is coming too if i saw it right in that april direct.

Day one!
Enjoyed shock troopers 1 very much.

Glowsquid

Apart from being able to do cheap infinite credit runs there's literally no point in playing an emulated Neo Geo game in MVS mode, you're only getting an incomplete version of the game.

For some of the later games you do lose extra stuff, but for like 90% of the Neo Geo library where "AES mode" is just limited continues and a difficulty selection screen, playing MVS with access to the dips settings gives you wayyyy more gameplay options.

I'm not sure the golf analogy will entice newcombers, but I'm glad people are starting to talk about this. The "reset if you lose your first credit" advise is a massive overreaction to journo criticism of arcade games and comes with problem of its owns. There's nothing fun or useful about replaying the easy stuff over and over to get to the actual challenging part.

Unfortunately this has not been patched into any other game yet

Arcade Archives is just faithfully replicating the DIPS settings available for ASO II. That game allows you to specify a precis number of continues, most later neo geo games don't or just offer a binary continue/no continue switch

Yes Boss!

Unfortunately this has not been patched into any other game yet, but all is not lost. You can sort of accomplish the same idea. When you start a game like Metal Slug, insert the number of credits at the start (technically +1 to all the numbers above for your starting credit), as you play continue as normal, once you hit 0 that is it. It is the honor system so it is on you not to dump an extra credit or two. Even then it is easy to accidentally tap the insert coin button so hopefully this is a temporary solution.

NAM-1975 let's you also pick how many continues you want.

Fredrik

Haven't bought any NeoGeo games since the first batch with Metal Slug 3. Is the sound delay still there on new releases?

Top Bottom