• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

EDarkness

I suck soooo bad at KoF '98. I finally tried to beat Rugal and he thrashed me for over an hour. Man, that guy is cheap as hell. Gonna have to practice more, I think.

Playing Last Resort had me wishing you could duplicate the shoot button with one having turbo and one not.

Turbo was super helpful but I can't do the charge attack with it turned on.

Fulluphigh

Neo Member
Do the controls on some of the fighters seem reaaaally finicky to anybody else? In particular, I mean the window for pressing two or more buttons at the same time. For me, with both joycons and pro controller, it's basically impossible to hit two buttons at the same time that aren't already mapped as a combo to one of the triggers.

I see this is Waku Waku 7, Garou, and KoF 98. I can't do a lot of specials or feints in garou, and you basically can't do anything in Waku Waku.

Hell, even the trigger buttons that are mapped to hit two at once (A & B or C&D for example, in Garou) don't work sometimes, and I'll randomly get the effect of having only hit one. I get that it might be a bit easier on an arcade machine to hit them both, but was the timing really that tight?

Samuray

World Heroes Perfect

Is it true that in versus mode, you are stuck in the same stage all the time? That you have to beat an enemy in single player to get to a new background? If so, does that also apply to the real AES cart? Most likely, I guess.

Do the controls on some of the fighters seem reaaaally finicky to anybody else? In particular, I mean the window for pressing two or more buttons at the same time. For me, with both joycons and pro controller, it's basically impossible to hit two buttons at the same time that aren't already mapped as a combo to one of the triggers.

I see this is Waku Waku 7, Garou, and KoF 98. I can't do a lot of specials or feints in garou, and you basically can't do anything in Waku Waku.

Hell, even the trigger buttons that are mapped to hit two at once (A & B or C&D for example, in Garou) don't work sometimes, and I'll randomly get the effect of having only hit one. I get that it might be a bit easier on an arcade machine to hit them both, but was the timing really that tight?

I really hope Hamster patches all of these to be more user friendly as far as button layouts.

Weebos

Banned
If I grabbed one of these fighting games to play with my SO and occasionally by myself, which one should I get?

Garou?

AmyS

Sticking to my two NeoGeo games a paycheck plan and bought:

Last Resort
Shock Troopers

YOOO, these games are fucking legit! :D

EDIT: Thanks for the Last Resort scans, AmyS!

No problem!

So now, ACA Last Resort is available on Switch, Xbox One and PS4 :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Playing Last Resort had me wishing you could duplicate the shoot button with one having turbo and one not.

Turbo was super helpful but I can't do the charge attack with it turned on.

ZR works as a non-turbo shoot button
when you activate Turbo on a front-face
button.
ZL duplicates the button to lock/unlock your pod.

World Heroes Perfect

Is it true that in versus mode, you are stuck in the same stage all the time? That you have to beat an enemy in single player to get to a new background? If so, does that also apply to the real AES cart? Most likely, I guess.

Think almost all arcade fighters were like that. I remember in original SF2, the stages were stuck on boxer because everyone else was beaten that night in vs, but since no one could play bosses yet, the battleground stage on the weekends were Las Vegas. It only advanced the stage if you let someone beat the cpu boss and went to Spain, Thailand etc would it continue from that stage.

Moldiver

When these started coming out I was like "I need to buy some" cut to today, i'm still saying the same and now there are loads...I've got no idea what to buy. i loved Metal Slug as a kid so that's easy, Turf Masters is apparently great so there's that...just what next.

When these started coming out I was like "I need to buy some" cut to today, i'm still saying the same and now there are loads...I've got no idea what to buy. i loved Metal Slug as a kid to that's easy, Turf Masters is apparently great so there's that...just what next.

I really love Shock Troopers, if you love Metal Slug you might want to consider it.

Shinriji

World Heroes Perfect

The very reason that the Neogeo CD version is the best one. There is a real vs mode, and you can choose stages.

EDarkness

Oddly enough that is the easiest Rugal in a KOF game.

Really? That's pretty insane. I think the thing I miss most is a training mode to practice moves. I have no idea how to do moves in this game and it makes it 100% harder to do anything. The only way to practice is to play the computer and I end up getting thrashed so bad. Ha, ha! Oh well. Next week I'm gonna pick up Garou since I didn't get it when it was first released. Looking forward to playing that.

Regiruler

There's cheat codes.
Play as Dio - At the character selection screen, hold B and press up, up, down, down, left, left, right, right, BC.

Play as Son Guko - At the character selection screen, hold C and press up, up, down, down, left, left, right, right, B + C.

Fight as Zeus - In a 2 player VS, at the character select screen, hold B and C, and press A.

Goku and Dio get to fight Greek Gods? That's one hell of a crossover.

BizzyBum

I played Shock Troopers and it was pretty great! I love old school games like these. The only thing that would make these better would be online play.

I heard Shock Troopers 2 is superior so I'll definitely be downloading that.

Timu

Really? That's pretty insane. I think the thing I miss most is a training mode to practice moves. I have no idea how to do moves in this game and it makes it 100% harder to do anything. The only way to practice is to play the computer and I end up getting thrashed so bad. Ha, ha! Oh well. Next week I'm gonna pick up Garou since I didn't get it when it was first released. Looking forward to playing that.
Yeah, 94, 95 and even 02 Rugals are more challenging. Also, Garou is great, good pick up.

Fulluphigh

Neo Member

I dunno if this has been mentioned, but according to the HORI site for the Switch HRAP, it's PC compatible as well =D

http://www.hori.jp/products/nsw/rap_sw/

I don't have a fight stick, been back and forth for a long time, but I'll definitely grab this (if the quality is the same as the other HRAP V's). I was afraid it might be like the Xbone arcade sticks, which thanks to some weird Microsoft driver thing, don't work on PC (unless that's changed?).

I don't understand gafs disdain for shock troopers 2, the first one is OK, but I much prefer the sequel and it's art style, the presentation in the sequel is just fantastic, much better sound too.

Stencil

So what's the consensus; Metal Slug or Metal Slug 3? Looking to play alone as well as local mp.

edit: oh and Metal Slug 2 is coming out, too? Ok, between the three, which would you recommend?

Top Bottom