• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

ggx2ac

Oh, Magical Drop 2 comes out this week.

I'm buying it even though I want MD3 because 1) I'll get to see if I can play the Japanese version without having to buy off the Japan eShop like the other Neo Geo games. 2) I'll at least have a Magical Drop game to play that isn't 'MD5' while waiting for 'MD3'.

Good tip, thanks.

Another thing that bugs me with the ACA series is no ability (at least that I'm aware of) to configure one Switch button for multiple Neo buttons, as we've seen in most emulated/ported Neo games such as M2's PS3/PSP Neo Geo Station releases, or SNK's own ports over the years to various systems.

In particular, B+C as used in many fighting games for supers is really rough - the standard X+B on a Switch Pro Controller is just brutal, and there's really no logical layout that works for it. On a 4 face button controller with a diamond layout, it's not that hard to hit other commonly used button combinations like both punches (usually A/C), both kicks (B/D), both light attacks (A/B), both heavy attacks (C/D) - all of those combinations tend to be two buttons that are next to each other. But man, that B+C... Or it would be nice to set the triggers for things like Samurai Shodown 4's ABC/BCD rage explosion moves or other commonly used stuff like C+D combo slash.

They'll have to fix that if they care about Hori releasing its fight stick. The way controls are mapped now doesn't match the AES joystick at all.

So what at the best titles to get?

I already have all the Metal Slugs and Shock Troopers 1.
Pretty much this, in this order. Anything past KOF' 98 is kind of optional.

Garou
Neo Turf Masters
Blazing Star
KOF '98
Last Resort
Waku Waku 7
Samurai Shodown IV
KOF' 99

Good tip, thanks.

Another thing that bugs me with the ACA series is no ability (at least that I'm aware of) to configure one Switch button for multiple Neo buttons, as we've seen in most emulated/ported Neo games such as M2's PS3/PSP Neo Geo Station releases, or SNK's own ports over the years to various systems.

In particular, B+C as used in many fighting games for supers is really rough - the standard X+B on a Switch Pro Controller is just brutal, and there's really no logical layout that works for it. On a 4 face button controller with a diamond layout, it's not that hard to hit other commonly used button combinations like both punches (usually A/C), both kicks (B/D), both light attacks (A/B), both heavy attacks (C/D) - all of those combinations tend to be two buttons that are next to each other. But man, that B+C... Or it would be nice to set the triggers for things like Samurai Shodown 4's ABC/BCD rage explosion moves or other commonly used stuff like C+D combo slash.

This. I wish that this existed

Any video explaining how magical drop works? I'm really into puzzle games but I don't know why but can't really follow what's going on in the videos I'm checking.

Edit: of course I post this and the next video i check is exactly what I'm looking for...

https://youtu.be/3zVT2DFH2M8

I don't know, seems very shallow

ggx2ac

Finally. Now to start downloading Magical Drop 2.

Edit: Awesome, I can pick the Japanese version, that means that will be the same for Magical Drop III when that releases.

Edit 2: Just like Magical Drop 3, in MD2 it is recommended that you play the Japanese version after you've understood the game through the English version.

The game has cut content in the English version such as a missing game mode and the characters don't have individual voices like in the JP version.

Just found that the JP version has endings for each character where the English version doesn't, just like Magical Drop 3.

I still prefer MD3 since you can scroll the orbs down, its important for setting up combos to make it easier to beat the CPU.

Oddduck

http://gonintendo.com/stories/284066-neogeo-games-coming-to-switch-includes-fatal-fury-special-samur

According to a Nico Nico livestream, a few NeoGeo games will be making their way toward the Nintendo Switch. The games will be released as part of the Arcade Archives series.

The games that were mentioned were Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown, Super Sidekicks, Aero Fighters 2, and The King of Fighters 2000. Although no specific release dates were announced, the games were said to be released in "the coming months."

NoKisum

Edit: Awesome, I can pick the Japanese version, that means that will be the same for Magical Drop III when that releases.

Edit 2: Just like Magical Drop 3, in MD2 it is recommended that you play the Japanese version after you've understood the game through the English version.

The game has cut content in the English version such as a missing game mode and the characters don't have individual voices like in the JP version.

Just found that the JP version has endings for each character where the English version doesn't, just like Magical Drop 3.

I still prefer MD3 since you can scroll the orbs down, its important for setting up combos to make it easier to beat the CPU.

If I buy it from the US eShop store, does it contain both English and Japanese versions, or do I need to buy it twice from their respective eShop store fronts?

OSHAN

If I buy it from the US eShop store, does it contain both English and Japanese versions, or do I need to buy it twice from their respective eShop store fronts?

Contains both versions. All of them should. When you bought an MVS cart the region was set by the board, not the cart.

NoKisum

Contains both versions. All of them should. When you bought an MVS cart the region was set by the board, not the cart.

Awesome. So I assume like other Switch titles, I switch the system's native language version and the game should change accordingly.

NoKisum

No, you can select the version when you start the game (at least it's that way with the other ACA games on Switch).

Sounds even better, so I don't have to constantly change settings. This is my first ACA title, so I wasn't sure how the emulator itself worked.

Oh shit, Aero Fighters 2! Used to play this at a local carryout when I was little. Plus, I could go for a vertical shmup. All in.

firenze

Aero Fighters 2 is a fun shooter and has the best character Mao Mao. Everyone buy it!!

You spelled Spanky wrong. I mean, he is the world's first dolphin pilot. What's not to love?

Anyway, with the new confirmations, the full announced upcoming list looks like this:
Metal Slug 2 (July 6)
Aero Fighters 2 (TBA)
Fatal Fury Special (TBA)
KOF 2000 (TBA)
Samurai Shodown (TBA)
Super Sidekicks (TBA)
The King of Fighters 2000 (TBA)

Plus additional Data East games, unknown which ones though.

Also, here's the current list of games released in the ACA Neo Geo line on PS4 or Xbox One (which aren't currently released/announced for Switch, but seems likely they'll show up eventually):
Art of Fighting
Art of Fighting 2
King of the Monsters
KOF '95
Sengoku 2
Super Baseball 2020
The Last Blade
World Heroes
World Heroes 2

How is Super Sidekicks? Is it a good arcade soccer game?

It's not bad, but the sequels get progressively better.

I get why they would release it first if we might eventually get SS3 and/or Ultimate 11 though. Not much reason for anyone to buy it if the better versions are released. Much like the thinking with Fatal Fury 2 showing up before Special, and Metal Slug 2 before X (even though I kinda like original MS2, for some reason the stages have more charm to me than the remixed MSX versions).

I've owned MD2 on MVS for about ten years and didn't know that. Ugh, now I feel stupid.

ggx2ac

Someone already answered for you but here is what it looks like in-game where you get to choose which version to play regardless of which eShop you bought the game from.

DDh4_CcWAAArokL.jpg

And in that in-game menu, there are modes which let you gets scores for online rankings. Here's what I did in Caravan mode which gives you 5 minutes to get a score.

I haven't checked Hi Score mode so I assume it's the same as Caravan but without a time limit.

Edit: I might buy MD3 off the JP eShop when that releases because the Caravan mode in MD2 defaulted to English version, I still hate the generic voices in that version.

Oh wow I can't believe they are actually bringing Aero Fighters 2. One of my favorite shmups ever.

Hamster is really putting in work getting the licenses to some of those fringe games that SNK can't do on our own.

galvatron

I'll wait for the US release, but I've wanted portable Magical Drop 2 for a very long time.

I actually prefer MD2 to MD3 since getting an edge in a vs battle is more pronounced in 2 than in 3. MD2 is a "high damage" game, to steal a term from fighting games. You can finish people using the worst character in the game by just comboing the starting board in MD2 and losing best 2 out of 3 rounds in under a minute isn't uncommon where there's a skill gap.

Oddduck

HAMSTER acquires the rights to NMK games. It's unknown if these games will come to Switch or not.

Hamster has acquired the rights to NMK CO. Ltd software. While we don't know the full details on what games they can re-release, specific games mentioned were Operation Ragnarok (Zed Blade), the vertical shooter Thunder Dragon, the vertical shooter Hacha Mecha Fighter and the single screen platformer Saboten Bombers.

Source: GoNintendo and JapaneseNintendo.com

CLEEK

How is Super Sidekicks? Is it a good arcade soccer game?

It's fantastic. One of the very best arcade football games. I've played it to death on PSP/PS3/Vita.

Only dabbled briefly with SS2, 3 and 4, so can't really comment on which game in the series is the best. I hope the latter games do get the ACA treatment, but if they don't SS1 is well worth buying.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Aero Fighters 2 is one of my fav shmups EVER, will buy for the 7th time lol

SS2 is the best one imo, but the first game is good too although there's too many unstoppable cheap shots.

japtor

I'll wait for the US release, but I've wanted portable Magical Drop 2 for a very long time.

I actually prefer MD2 to MD3 since getting an edge in a vs battle is more pronounced in 2 than in 3. MD3 is a "high damage" game, to steal a term from fighting games. You can finish people using the worst character in the game by just comboing the starting board in MD2 and losing best 2 out of 3 rounds in under a minute isn't uncommon where there's a skill gap.
Huh interesting. Is there a generally preferred version among MD fans or is it just all over the place for everyone?

I only know it enough to know I like the gameplay but never got super deep into it, just curious if I might be better off waiting for 3 (if it's coming at all in the first place) or what I'd be missing out on in one or the other.

Timu

Only dabbled briefly with SS2, 3 and 4, so can't really comment on which game in the series is the best. I hope the latter games do get the ACA treatment, but if they don't SS1 is well worth buying.
On that, SS2>SS1>SS4>SS3!

How are the Metal Slug games on this? I've heard mixed things. Something about input lag and slightly darker colors?

I'd like some clarification; I'd love to be able to play thru Metal Slug 3 on this.

NoKisum

So I think I'm having an issue. Booting up MD2 on Switch at a party and we can't seem to get multiplayer working. I put in two credits and tried to get player two in, but the game doesn't seem to sense it at all. It's not the controllers because I tried swapping, and it didn't help.

galvatron

Huh interesting. Is there a generally preferred version among MD fans or is it just all over the place for everyone?

I only know it enough to know I like the gameplay but never got super deep into it, just curious if I might be better off waiting for 3 (if it's coming at all in the first place) or what I'd be missing out on in one or the other.

The generally preferred version is MD3 due to the "magical journey" board game where your performance on a stage determines how many spaces you can move forward on the board. Also, the graphics look a bit nicer and there are some characters with jagged drop patterns, which isn't a thing in MD2.

Edit: Whoo hoo. 21st on the leaderboard. Shame you don't score more points in vs since I really don't do the solo mode much and solely played it for the rank.

ggx2ac

So I think I'm having an issue. Booting up MD2 on Switch at a party and we can't seem to get multiplayer working. I put in two credits and tried to get player two in, but the game doesn't seem to sense it at all. It's not the controllers because I tried swapping, and it didn't help.

I noticed I could get it to work while you Vs the CPU, like how a new challenger appears in fighting games.

Just have Player 2 press R/SR while you are fighting the CPU during a match.

dezzy8

I wish that Rage of the Dragon would get some love. I dunno how many different systems I bought Metal Slug for. Shock troopers is awesome though.

Top Bottom