• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

johnyqd

So I think I'm having an issue. Booting up MD2 on Switch at a party and we can't seem to get multiplayer working. I put in two credits and tried to get player two in, but the game doesn't seem to sense it at all. It's not the controllers because I tried swapping, and it didn't help.

There is a bug in these games where having any controllers connected to the switch messes up player 2 controller sync. Take off the controllers and it should work fine.

I sent them a bug report over a month ago, haven't heard anything back.

firenze

Who owns the rights to the Bust A Move/Puzzle Bobble series?

Square-Enix, Taito's parent company.

Before anyone assumes that means a low likelihood of an ACA Neo Geo release of Puzzle Bobble, it's worth noting that in 2015-2016, Hamster did release three Taito games in the PS4 Arcade Archives series (The Legend of Kage, Bubble Bobble, and Kiki Kaikai). Perhaps there's hope!

HAMSTER acquires the rights to NMK games. It's unknown if these games will come to Switch or not.

NMK made only one Neo Geo game, Zed Blade/aka Operation Ragnarok. So, that would be the most likely suspect for a Switch release (since Hamster has not released any of their non-Neo Geo "Arcade Archives" releases on any platform other than PS4). Seeing Hamster's recent focus on Neo Geo - they haven't released anything else in 2017 - it would not shock me to see Zed Blade make an appearance in the ACA Neo Geo library in the somewhat near future.

NoKisum

I noticed I could get it to work while you Vs the CPU, like how a new challenger appears in fighting games.

Just have Player 2 press R/SR while you are fighting the CPU during a match.
This worked. Weird that I have to wait to start a vs match essentially.

japtor

The generally preferred version is MD3 due to the "magical journey" board game where your performance on a stage determines how many spaces you can move forward on the board. Also, the graphics look a bit nicer and there are some characters with jagged drop patterns, which isn't a thing in MD2.

Edit: Whoo hoo. 21st on the leaderboard. Shame you don't score more points in vs since I really don't do the solo mode much and solely played it for the rank.
Ah ok thanks...moot point since I just bought MD2 right after posting anyway.

I want Puzzle Bobble bad now. My sister pulled out our old SNES a little while back to show her kids some games but our Bust a Move cart wouldn't boot.

NMK made only one Neo Geo game, Zed Blade/aka Operation Ragnarok. So, that would be the most likely suspect for a Switch release (since Hamster has not released any of their non-Neo Geo "Arcade Archives" releases on any platform other than PS4). Seeing Hamster's recent focus on Neo Geo - they haven't released anything else in 2017 - it would not shock me to see Zed Blade make an appearance in the ACA Neo Geo library in the somewhat near future.

Yeah but that doesn't mean anything. Because their focus is on neo geo right now on every platform.

firenze

Well, it means something in that Zed Blade is the only thing that is likely to have any chance of showing up on Switch. Since NMK doesn't have any other Neo Geo games, and Hamster hasn't released anything but Neo games on the Switch... that's kinda the obvious conclusion. Based on the short time between public announcement of Hamster licensing Data East games and actually seeing Magical Drop 2 released, we might see Zed Blade fairly soon though!

You never know if Hamster will revive the normal Arcade Archives series (they announced some stuff back in 2016 that hasn't been released, like The Ninja Warriors), or if their non Neo Geo line will ever make an appearance on Switch. But that seems somewhat unlikely as a short term possibility.

EDIT: oh, I didn't realize... it seems the Arcade Archives series on PS4 DOES live. Thunder Cross just released on June 8, 2017 in Japan/Asia. That's the first Arcade Archives release in several months, but some evidence that Hamster is not 100% focused on Neo Geo at the moment.

mao2

Actually, Hamster did release 3 ACA titles in 2017, though in Japan only. They are Ark Area, Mutant Night and Thunder Cross.
http://www.hamster.co.jp/arcadearchives/arkarea.htm
http://www.hamster.co.jp/arcadearchives/mutantnight.htm
http://www.hamster.co.jp/arcadearchives/thundercross.htm

TDLink

I just bought Garou and am wondering what the difference is between the English, Japanese, and Hi Score Versions are?

Also, Does anyone know how to rearrange the Switch Home screen to be multiple rows rather than one long one? I've seen some people have it that way and I am getting more games now (mostly because of NeoGeo) so I'd prefer it to be in multiple rows like that.

galvatron

Just got to number 2 on the caravan mode leaderboard while my wife drove. What a time to be alive.

I just bought Garou and am wondering what the difference is between the English, Japanese, and Hi Score Versions are?

Also, Does anyone know how to rearrange the Switch Home screen to be multiple rows rather than one long one? I've seen some people have it that way and I am getting more games now (mostly because of NeoGeo) so I'd prefer it to be in multiple rows like that.

I've heard the tile layout changes to that view when you have enough games installed.

Pokemaniac

The version with multiple rows is in "all games" view that appears when you have too many to fit in the single row view.

Once you get 12 games, scroll all the way over to the right and there's a little grid that says, "All Software". Click on that and, voila! I wish there was a way to set that as the default, though.

Fiendcode

Hamster did say they plan to release regular AA on Switch eventually too.

TDLink

You'll always have the single row home screen though, it's the 12 most recent games played.

Wait so every time I turn on the system (after I get 12 games), I would have to scroll to the right and hit all software to display it the way I want?

That sucks...hopefully Nintendo patches it to always be selectable.

Are they actually porting the whole Neo Geo library there? :D

Who knows, we're at like...22 out of 148 I believe, right now? If they keep releasing one per week we could have the entire library before the end of the year...which would be awesome.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Wait so every time I turn on the system (after I get 12 games), I would have to scroll to the right and hit all software to display it the way I want?
Correct, and just to clarify, the order of any of the games regardless of view will be in the order you most recently played them (home screen or the full library). There's no way to sort games in a particular order.

NoKisum

I have one final question regarding Magical Drop, and I should be good. When selecting a character in Vs mode, is there a way to select a palette swap? Or do those only come up when two people choose the same character?

HF2014

When your tired and you read the title " Neo Gaf games coming to the Switch " . Im like, neogaf games? Then i wake up...

galvatron

I have one final question regarding Magical Drop, and I should be good. When selecting a character in Vs mode, is there a way to select a palette swap? Or do those only come up when two people choose the same character?

Don't know of a way to change color...

There is a code to unlock 3 of the bosses that involves putting the cursor on each character in order of their roman numerals and pressing down on each one. If you do it right, the Empress, Strength, and Devil become selectable. Character selection works as a handicap in this game, much like in Bust a Move. For instance, Fool vs Empress is as much of an uphill battle as you can give yourself.

sinkfla87

Tempted to buy KOF 98 but quick question... There is an online Vs mode, correct? And how active is the community?

Edit: same question goes for Garou/SS.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, what is currently the best coop experience in neogeo form on the switch :D? I know I asked a similar question once before, but since then a lot of new stuff has been added.

Opa-Pa

Okay, what is currently the best coop experience in neogeo form on the switch :D? I know I asked a similar question once before, but since then a lot of new stuff has been added.

Shock Troopers is a blast with a friend. And well, there's always Metal Slug 3 too.

Kalnoky

Finally got around to grabbing Shock Troopers and Turf Masters. Would love to see Shock Troopers 2 and/or Spinmaster get brought over. Played those a tonnnnnn in arcades when I was younger.

mao2

Ah thank you both for the quick answers! I own Garou on ps4 but was hoping I could take a portable version with me and play people when I'm not home :(.
Time to buy a Vita. :p Garou supports cross-platform online play between PS4 and Vita versions.

sinkfla87

Time to buy a Vita. :p Garou supports cross-platform online play between PS4 and Vita versions.

I used to have one but sold it when I pretty much finished the games I wanted to complete and really needed the money. Man, do I regret that decision :(.

LordKano

I haven't bought anything else than Garou for now. Metal Slug X or Magical Drop III would be nice. I'm not holding any hope for Windjammers since there's a port coming to PS4/Vita soon.

grendelrt

For someone not really familiar with Metal Slug, should i grab 1 or 3?

Start with 1, its way easier (but not easy) than 3. I actually enjoy 1 more than 3 because 3 is super long and hard. 3 has better graphics , more enemies, stages, etc. but its also overstuffed.

I haven't bought anything else than Garou for now. Metal Slug X or Magical Drop III would be nice. I'm not holding any hope for Windjammers since there's a port coming to PS4/Vita soon.

it's still possible to drop the arcade version on Switch. Nothing is hamster stopping from this. Some other releases had some ports not part of the ACA series as well like Metal Slug 3.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
3 is a better buy

Metal Slug 1 is probably easier to start with. I'd recommend to play that first and if you like it, check out Metal Slug 3.

Start with 1, its way easier (but not easy) than 3. I actually enjoy 1 more than 3 because 3 is super long and hard. 3 has better graphics , more enemies, stages, etc. but its also overstuffed.

lol so there's no consensus. I think I'll go 3. Thanks thread

Top Bottom