• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

Keihart

Magical Drop is my all time favorite game of that genre so i bought that as fast as i could, this is going to be a blast as a local vs portable game. I ordered some 8bitdo controllers to venture in fighting games territory since the selection is pretty awesome.

El Sabroso

have you tried the fan hack to fix slowdown? probably thr optimal ms2 experience, I'd imagine

speaking of, I just played on MAME too, since I did remember the slowdowns, but not too heavy as Switch does, specially when in Switch the inputs also lose response during slowdowns of MS2 or maybe is too much time since I played on real arcade to remember control responsiveness. MAME is another way to run the game overclocked to never get into slowdowns.

HorseFD

I'm so glad I listened to you guys praising Magical Drop II. That game is so much fun!

I went in expecting a Puzzle Bobble clone and was pleasantly suprised by the unique gameplay. I can't wait to play this multiplayer.

I've had that theme song in my head since I bought it.

firenze

I think MS2 is much better than X, especially the bosses, but I'm weird like that. :)

You and me both, but yeah, we're weird.

The slowdown doesn't particularly bug me, I just accept it as the way the game is. But, I'm the kind of person who doesn't like it when some arcade bullet hell shooter (say, Deathsmiles) gets a port that runs at full speed and DOESN'T properly emulate the original slowdown. That's kind of part of the boss battle and timing and feel of the game to me.

I also vastly prefer MS2's versions of the stage time of day/color schemes, and boss placement.

I get that for most people who just want to play one game, MSX is the popular choice. That's fine. But for me, I really appreciate that they DID re-release MS2 to allow people who want to get into it to really see the differences for themselves and make their own decision. And from a historical/preservation aspect, there's nothing worse to me than saying an older game is "usless" once a revised version is available. Particularly when we're talking about series that's substantially ABOUT history with these re-releases of 20 year old games, that's kind of important!

Brizzo24

You and me both, but yeah, we're weird.

The slowdown doesn't particularly bug me, I just accept it as the way the game is. But, I'm the kind of person who doesn't like it when some arcade bullet hell shooter (say, Deathsmiles) gets a port that runs at full speed and DOESN'T properly emulate the original slowdown. That's kind of part of the boss battle and timing and feel of the game to me.

My nephew and I love playing MS3 on my big screen. We play with the Joy-Cons sideways, like old school NES controllers. I told him MS2 is out now, and we DL'd it the other day. The slowdown was pretty harsh, but now that I know it's just part of the game, there's no reason to get bent out of shape about it.

I would rather it run smooth, but oh well. I like MS2's stages too, but MS3's zombie level is my favorite.

Magical Drop 2 is one of the best puzzle games I've ever played. I have it on my Neo Geo MVS. 100% recommended. There have been nights where a friend and I played it for 6 hours straight.
I'm so jealous. I wish I had someone that could play that long with me in Pokemon Puzzle League :( (let alone be competent enough to keep me on my toes).

I squealed as soon as I saw Magical Drop 2, but Puyo Puyo Tetris was the first thing I bought, haha. I'm $3 short for MD2, but I'll probably get another game just to space out my puzzle consumption.

But I'll probably get MD2 soon, anyway :p.

What is the best single player content-wise fighter for Neo Geo?

None of them really have single-player specific content besides maybe a few cut scenes and an ending. And most of them have ridiculously hard bosses.

You should play the game for gameplay, not content. For that, Garou, Last Blade 2, King of Fighters '98, Real Bout Special and Samurai Shodown 2 are the best. If you want variety, there's Waku Waku 7, Matrimelee, Kabuki Klash and a few others, but I doubt most of them will ever turn up on Switch.

Oddduck

Should I hold off from buying Fatal Fury Special tomorrow and wait for Real Bout Fatal Fury Special?

What is the best Fatal Fury game?

Should I hold off from buying Fatal Fury Special tomorrow and wait for Real Bout Fatal Fury Special?

What is the best Fatal Fury game?

Real Bout Series is a little different from the originals. You could have both and be happy.

Both are great.

Asking which FF is the best is like asking which burger is the best. :)

ghibli99

Bought MD2 just now on the recommendations in this thread. First ACA purchase. If it's as good as what I'm seeing, it won't be my last. :)

Loona

What is the best single player content-wise fighter for Neo Geo?

Art of Fighting 2's arcade mode has dialogs between every single possible character pair, although it can get pretty hard if you're aiming for the real final boss.
Fatal Fury 3 is also fairly story-packed, but like AoF2, the localization gets silly at times, but like AoF2, it's also a linchpin of the running story across its respective series.

Still story-wise, KoF97 is one of the highlights of its series.

Oddduck

Real Bout Series is a little different from the originals. You could have both and be happy.

Both are great.

Asking which FF is the best is like asking which burger is the best. :)

Thanks for the response!

I guess I'll go ahead and buy Fatal Fury Special tomorrow then.

Not really in my view, and i own the AES game for years. Input delay galore, stupid cheap ai that doenst mimic the orginal in any way, net code pretty shit... your better served with fightcade.

The input delay was fixed in a patch and the AI is exactly the same. Code Mystics definitely didn't go in and re-program the AI.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Thanks for the response!

I guess I'll go ahead and buy Fatal Fury Special tomorrow then.

Something to note for future releases- Real Bout Special was not the last Real Bout. Real Bout 2 was! Nice and confusing, lol.

You can break up the NeoGeo FF games, from a game play perspective, into the following groups:

Fatal Fury 1
--------------
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury Special
--------------
Fatal Fury 3
Real Bout Fatal Fury (The button layout changes up here)
Real Bout Special
Real Bout 2
--------------
Garou

A10Pilot

I pray we get League Bowling. I absolutely love that game. It is all SNK, too. Anyone know if this is slated for switch? Like Turf Masters, day 1 purchase from me if it comes out!

Effect

So out of the fighters released what's the best one? Have yet to buy one of the NeoGeo games and want to try one out. Thanks.

Top Bottom