• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

firenze

Something to note for future releases- Real Bout Special was not the last Real Bout. Real Bout 2 was! Nice and confusing, lol.

You can break up the NeoGeo FF games, from a game play perspective, into the following groups:

Fatal Fury 1
--------------
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury Special
--------------
Fatal Fury 3
Real Bout Fatal Fury (The button layout changes up here)
Real Bout Special
Real Bout 2
--------------
Garou

Yeah pretty much this. If you're extremely familiar with 90s Street Fighter, the FF series sort of breaks down like:

• FF1 = Street Fighter 1 (but FF1 is a way better game)
  • FF2/Special = Street Fighter 2/CE
  • Real Bout/RBS/RB2 = the Street Fighter Alpha series of the FF universe
  • Garou = Street Fighter 3
They're really all very different games, and worth at least sampling one from each of those subsets.

FF3 is the oddball, it does sort of feel more like the Real Bout games than FF2/Special, but not exactly, and it doesn't quite go as all in on the more colorful anime-styled visuals and much smoother controls that help define the Real Bout games to me (especially RBS and RB2) - and feel VERY much like Capcom's SF Alpha games.

Tailzo

None of them really have single-player specific content besides maybe a few cut scenes and an ending. And most of them have ridiculously hard bosses.

You should play the game for gameplay, not content. For that, Garou, Last Blade 2, King of Fighters '98, Real Bout Special and Samurai Shodown 2 are the best. If you want variety, there's Waku Waku 7, Matrimelee, Kabuki Klash and a few others, but I doubt most of them will ever turn up on Switch.

I guess you're right. The reason I asked, it because I enjoyed Capcom vs SNK for Dreamcast, but other than that I tend to not really play fighters, as I have no one to play with. So I would need something to strive for in single player to enjoy it.

Art of Fighting 2's arcade mode has dialogs between every single possible character pair, although it can get pretty hard if you're aiming for the real final boss.
Fatal Fury 3 is also fairly story-packed, but like AoF2, the localization gets silly at times, but like AoF2, it's also a linchpin of the running story across its respective series.

Still story-wise, KoF97 is one of the highlights of its series.

A bit of story would help yeah.

Played through Sengoku the other day. Any other good beat em ups?

But maybe a beat-em up is better for what I want.

Should I hold off from buying Fatal Fury Special tomorrow and wait for Real Bout Fatal Fury Special?

What is the best Fatal Fury game?

Real Bout games play nothing like the normal Fatal Fury games. Fatal Fury Special literally has no relation to RBFFS as a result.

cireza

I will not condone this FF Special slander. It aged like fine wine unlike those dumb 3 button Real Bout games.
Going to totally disagree and say the Real Bout 2 (or RB Special) is my favorite game in the series. I don't see why 3 buttons gameplay would make it age badly ?

Jinroh

I know some of you like to defend those "arcade perfect" slowdows, but MS2 is just not enjoyable for me on Switch. I've only played through the first three levels, but 80% of the first and third levels is a slideshow.

How can anyone enjoy a game that spends so much time running at half speed? It kills all my enjoyment because the gameplay is totally soiled. Even on PSP the game was more enjoyable.

I'm all for having arcade perfect versions of these games, but they should have really included an option to get rid of the slowdowns.

I know some of you like to defend those "arcade perfect" slowdows, but MS2 is just not enjoyable for me on Switch. I've only played through the first three levels, but 80% of the first and third levels is a slideshow.

How can anyone enjoy a game that spends so much time running at half speed? It kills all my enjoyment because the gameplay is totally soiled. Even on PSP the game was more enjoyable.

I'm all for having arcade perfect versions of these games, but they should have really included an option to get rid of the slowdowns.

Pretty sure almost everyone recommends X over 2 because of that.

bastardly

Haven't really played any SNK games since Samurai Showdown 2 and World Heroes.

Which is the better game overall on switch SS4 or KoF 98?

Dr. Letz Shake

Neo Member
I don't see any mention of it here yet; but I got an email from Fan Gamer today with some nice SNK / Neo Geo shirts shown inside! I can't post images at the moment but they're worth a look at.

This Switch port of 2 is the first time I've ever had such terrible slowdowns. In every mission too! I swear it wasn't that bad on a Neo Geo emulator on PC that I played when I was much younger or even on PS4.

Is it possible to play magical drop 2 with 2 people using split joy cons? I thought there was, but I can't figure out how to register the second player.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Is it possible to play magical drop 2 with 2 people using split joy cons? I thought there was, but I can't figure out how to register the second player.
Configure they joy cons before starting the game. See if that helps.

Is there an official Switch thread or do we just ask our questions in any thread about the Switch and hope it gets answered? Cause i have a concern about mine.

japtor

Yep, that's how I played 2P. I think I did the change grip/order thing in the system controller screen. It was kinda fiddly iirc (lots of l/r pressing for coin/start) but it worked once we got it set up.
Is there an official Switch thread or do we just ask our questions in any thread about the Switch and hope it gets answered? Cause i have a concern about mine.
Maybe this thread (or any of the other similar new Switch owner threads you can find), this is the most recent (front page) that I saw just now:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1404669

Fatal Fury Special plays surprisingly great on handheld mode. I can pull off all my Terry combos and whatnot. Power Geysers are out of the question though. No way to map a B+C button combo and pressing the top and bottom face buttons at the same time is a pain.

The game also has the flashing lights on Duck King's stage reduced as an option by default. Smart thinking by Hamster.

Moofers

I saw in the Switch release calendar thread that Aero Fighters 2 is listed as a future Neo Geo release. Is that confirmed somewhere?

VIDEO SYSTEMU!

firenze

Interestingly enough, Fatal Fury Special was released on all three ACA Neo Geo platforms this week. They don't tend to do same week releases across all three platforms (particularly with Switch, though PS4 and Xbox One occasionally do have simultaneous releases of some ACA titles).

Interestingly enough, Fatal Fury Special was released on all three ACA Neo Geo platforms this week. They don't tend to do same week releases across all three platforms (particularly with Switch, though PS4 and Xbox One occasionally do have simultaneous releases of some ACA titles).

Maybe they were just waiting to release the inferior FF2 on all the platforms first.

I don't recall Special being as hard as it seems to be. I'm having trouble pulling moves off with the JoyCons.

Can't try my other controllers since I'm on the road.

Young Magus

Perhaps to celebrate the FFS tornament goin on in Japan right now.

Raitaro

I'm tempted to get FF Special as I've never owned it any official form despite being a fan of Terry and oldschool FF (apart from the lane system which I admittedly never truly could get into). Garou is also a definite buy for me, partly in the hopes that if I keep buying it, SNK actually might finish that cancelled Garou 2 some day like they expressed some interest in doing...

Also, which Samurai Shodown games are currently available on Switch? Just 4? The first game is up on the upcoming games list so I might check that one out too at some point.

I'm tempted to get FF Special as I've never owned it any official form despite being a fan of Terry and oldschool FF (apart from the lane system which I admittedly never truly could get into). Garou is also a definite buy for me, partly in the hopes that if I keep buying it, SNK actually might finish that cancelled Garou 2 some day like they expressed some interest in doing...

Also, which Samurai Shodown games are currently available on Switch? Just 4? The first game is up on the upcoming games list so I might check that one out too at some point.

yeah, just 4 atm.
SS1 should arrive soon though and the rest later.
I still love SS1 the most.
I have a soft spot for it. It was my first NeoGeo fighter on those HUGEASS sit-down cabinets with GIGANTIC screens and SS running on those things was just eyecandy overkill.
Sprites as big as my upper body combined with the frantic zooming in...man, what a blast.

I also think that SS1 Gen An is best Gen An and overall one of my favourite SS characters. Hist story is both hilarious and pretty grim.
Speaking of story: To me the SS series features the best character stories/backgrounds of any fighter.
may it be tuberculosis ridden Ukyo, schizophrenia kid Shizumaru Hisame or the most fucked up thing ever Kusaregedo (his story makes me shiver; so does his fatality). it's all gold

Raitaro

yeah, just 4 atm.
SS1 should arrive soon though and the rest later.
I have a soft spot for it. It was my first NeoGeo fighter on those HUGEASS sit-down cabinets with GIGANTIC screens and SS running on those things was just eyecandy overkill.
Sprites as big as my upper body combined with the frantic zooming in...man, what a blast.

I also think that SS1 Gen An is best Gen An and overall one of my favourite SS characters. Hist story is both hilarious and pretty grim.
Speaking of story: To me the SS series features the best character stories/backgrounds of any fighter.
may it be tuberculosis ridden Ukyo, schizophrenia kid Shizumaru Hisame or the most fucked up thing ever Kusaregedo (his story makes me shiver; so does his fatality). it's all gold

Thanks for answering. I'll add SamSho 1 to my list as well!

firenze

Are you me? You sure sound like me.

My SS1 experience was that I was in an arcade and they installed a brand new Samurai Shodown while I was there. I was the first player to try it out, and went on a nice winning streak with my first character, Gen An (and HELL YEA SS1 Gen An is best Gen An). After that, I eventually got an AES system in the 90s and managed to get a copy of Samurai Shodown. I would just put the game in when I was in the house and let the demo loop, it was that damn cool - the sound, that amazing Haohmaru scene... ahhh.

Anyway, yeah I have a soft spot for SS1. I think most people prefer SS2, but I'll always like the original a little more (both are great though).

SS1/SS2 are very deliberate games, and the mood and pacing still feels unique among fighting games. Enhanced a ton by the excellent ambiance and sparse but impactful sound.

Taxman

So are there any videos or articles out there that actually explain how to play Samurai Shodown 4 or just the SS series in general? I have never played a SS game and there seem to be a lot of systems in there that are not explained in the game's manual. YouTube searches have been surprisingly fruitless. I never will be good at fighting games but I like to be at least able to understand the techniques that I can't pull off properly.

Top Bottom