• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

meppi

zedblade is a very strange shmup. it's not bad but there are some very irritating things:
the super annoying (parallax)scrolling. it sort of "stutters" through the entire game and personally I get dizzy from it.
your ship is freaking enormous and has a weirdly shaped hitbox.
soundtrack is killer for your ears but at least 2 player mode afair is a blast (a little overcrowded though)

Still interested in it. To be fair, I'm picking up every single game, even the sports titles which usually never interest me.
I'm an arcade gamer by heart and always have been since the late 70's, so I'm just happy to be getting tons of arcade ports. Even moreso since they are also on a portable. :)

Haven't played Blue's Journey either although I always wanted to buy it. Can't have it all I guess.
I'm hoping all these arcade games do great and it makes other publisher take note and bring out tons more.

nyarla

Neo Member
i just got a Switch.. jumped on the Japanese eShop and bought Blazing Star without knowing what it was, because it looked pretty. it rules! it's so beautiful and with some really interesting bullet patterns and such. great pixel art! i'm not much of a shmup connoisseur. have always liked 'em but the only ones i ever put much time into were the Cave ones on iOS. i've never played any Neo Geo games until now, or anything newer than like, Bubble Bobble, in arcades...totally in heaven playing this on the Switch. I can't wait for heaps more arcade stuff on it :)

firenze

What are the 2 games the PS4/XB1 are getting in place of Zed Blade and Art Of Fighting?

Fatal Fury 3 (3rd line on the PS4/Xbox lists)
Samurai Shodown 2 (last line on the PS4/Xbox lists)

I find those to be some really nice additions, looking forward to their eventual arrival on Switch too!

EDIT: whoops, didn't see page 62 had started and this was already answered...

As for the Switch releases, my quick thoughts:

Magician Lord - a classic, still pretty fun (I played it just last week)

Joy Joy Kid (aka Puzzled) - wow, that's a surprise. One of SNK's earliest Neo Geo releases, it's a strange puzzle game with sort of a Tetris meets Breakout vibe.

Zed Blade - expected, but will be cool to get since it's a rather obscure game

Blue's Journey (aka Raguy) - Huh. Colorful simplistic platformer by ADK, another very early Neo Geo game that was presumably attempting to fill the Mario/Sonic niche (almost a little Alex Kidd). It's not terribly good.

Spin Master (aka Miracle Adventure) - Here's another Data East game, following Magical Drop 2. Pretty good platformer, really expressive and colorful graphical style a lot like Data East's Joe and Mac games, I think this one beats Blue's Journey easily as a similar type game.

Art of Fighting - expected, classic, a bit the worse for wear with age but still has some history going for it, and I've always kinda liked the story focus.

Fatal Fury 3 and Samurai Shodown 2

Edit for the new page in case people miss it:

Upcoming games:

Magician Lord
Joy Joy Kid
Zed Blade
Blue's Journey
Spin Master
Art of Fighting
FREAKING SAY WHAT?!?!

I've been waiting for that one ever since they announced that Neo Geo titles were coming to Switch!!!

When is it coming to America?!

Neff

Art of Fighting 1 and not 2? 2 would be a better pick as 1 didn't age that well.

I prefer the first one, even though it's janky as hell. I like the dumb presentation and AI-abusive gameplay. The second game is just too fucking brutal to endure for more than a few fights.

ZeoVGM

Banned
So I'm watching Easy Allies play Sengoku and it looks fun as hell. Never even heard of it before.

Any other suggestions for Neo Geo games download on my Switch?

moeman

Me waiting on last blade 2 like

images

Timu

I prefer the first one, even though it's janky as hell. I like the dumb presentation and AI-abusive gameplay. The second game is just too fucking brutal to endure for more than a few fights.
2nd one is basically just knowing how to fight each opponent with certain strategies that can work on them, I can get perfect sometimes and 1CC that game as well.

The 1st one just doesn't play well enough and it's hard to go back to it after playing the 2nd game.

kc44135

In that case, I'd recommend Metal Slug X and/or 3, Neo Turf Masters (if you like golf games at all), Garou: Mark of the Wolves, and Aero Fighters 2. That would give you a pretty well-rounded look at the library IMO.

Thx, I'll give these games a shot for sure.

Bazry

Read the last few pages and saw a few people asking about Super Sidekicks, so heres my feedback.

Played it for a good few hours yesterday, I bought it because I have a hard love and nostalgia for arcade sport games, Neo Turf Masters is still one of my favourite games on the Switch. I used to play a similar arcade game to this when I was a kid, straight away the feel and nostalgia came back to me passing the ball around and shooting at goal. After a few games of thinking this is great and me repeatedly having my arse handed to me by the AI, I started to get the feel of it and got more shots on goal.

Unfortunately this is where it started to go down hill, actually scoring a goal in the game is terrible, the only way seemingly possible is to shoot at the goalie pretty much straight on, then hope the rebound falls to your player so you can score into an empty net. I must have had 50 games or so yesterday and only saw about 2 goals just go straight in past the goalkeeper, every other goal was a rebound off the goalie. This is also the area where the game is just cheap as hell and you can tell it was a arcade game designed to eat money. Practically every single shot of the AI makes your goalie dive stupidly out of the way, with the rebound perfectly landing to the AI with non of your defenders around to stop the follow up shot. Sometimes you'll get lucky and your goalie will win the game of pinball between him saving and them shooting, or you can manage to barge them out of the way before the follow up, but i'd say 75% of the time the AI is getting the rebound shot in. On the other side its the complete opposite, shoot at the AI goal and they have 4 defenders around to get the rebound, you will hardly ever get a second shot on goal

The final of the cup is just a cheat feast, I got good at the game in the end and breezed to the final without losing a game, only for Argentina to just keep beating me 4-0, 5-0 even 6-0. At times every single shot they had rebound back to the AI, 1 time my goalie saved it 4 times before the 5th finally went in. I only beat the game in the end because I fluked a 1-1 draw and won on penalties

For the amount of time I played it for yesterday it was probably worth buying, but can't say i'd recommend it to anyone

Bought my very first NeoGeo game now on the Switch and i'm a little bit blown away by the service that these games offer. I did not expect that.
So many options, so much i can adjust.
Native razor sharp resolution with real upscaling, which is no standard (hello blurry Wii U NES games with no real hardware side upscaling).
free button assignment, many ingame options, many scan lines options and i can even turn the screen to the side, which, in theory, could be amazing for Shmups.

I bought Metal Slug 1 by the way and the animations of this game, oh man.
QONVIyz.gif

Yes, slowdowns are very noticeable, but i can tell myself it's because of the original Arcade experience, i can live with that. :D

kramer

Read the last few pages and saw a few people asking about Super Sidekicks, so heres my feedback.

Played it for a good few hours yesterday, I bought it because I have a hard love and nostalgia for arcade sport games, Neo Turf Masters is still one of my favourite games on the Switch. I used to play a similar arcade game to this when I was a kid, straight away the feel and nostalgia came back to me passing the ball around and shooting at goal. After a few games of thinking this is great and me repeatedly having my arse handed to me by the AI, I started to get the feel of it and got more shots on goal.

Unfortunately this is where it started to go down hill, actually scoring a goal in the game is terrible, the only way seemingly possible is to shoot at the goalie pretty much straight on, then hope the rebound falls to your player so you can score into an empty net. I must have had 50 games or so yesterday and only saw about 2 goals just go straight in past the goalkeeper, every other goal was a rebound off the goalie. This is also the area where the game is just cheap as hell and you can tell it was a arcade game designed to eat money. Practically every single shot of the AI makes your goalie dive stupidly out of the way, with the rebound perfectly landing to the AI with non of your defenders around to stop the follow up shot. Sometimes you'll get lucky and your goalie will win the game of pinball between him saving and them shooting, or you can manage to barge them out of the way before the follow up, but i'd say 75% of the time the AI is getting the rebound shot in. On the other side its the complete opposite, shoot at the AI goal and they have 4 defenders around to get the rebound, you will hardly ever get a second shot on goal

The final of the cup is just a cheat feast, I got good at the game in the end and breezed to the final without losing a game, only for Argentina to just keep beating me 4-0, 5-0 even 6-0. At times every single shot they had rebound back to the AI, 1 time my goalie saved it 4 times before the 5th finally went in. I only beat the game in the end because I fluked a 1-1 draw and won on penalties

For the amount of time I played it for yesterday it was probably worth buying, but can't say i'd recommend it to anyone

Thanks for the write up. Might wait for SS2, but will probably cave - cheat sports games are good nostalgia!

The last boss for Aero Fighters 2... What the hell? Didn't expect that!

I am loving all these games being available on the Switch. I also got Strikers 1945, Gunbarich and a stand so I could play those in tate mode.

Sh0k

Got the game yesterday and having a great time. You have to remember that the base for all Neo Geo games are arcade quarter eaters. The game AI is super cheap but I found that lowering the difficulty to around 3 makes it more tolerable. Having a blast playing versus and tournament mode.

ghibli99

Damn, looks like I'm gonna have to pick up Neo Turf Masters. Didn't even know what it was until I looked into it a little bit. Doesn't sound like a golf game at all. LOL

Pretty disappointed in the next batch of Neo Geo titles. Will probably give Spinmaster a try but don't recall liking Magician Lord too much back on the Wii. Maybe the Arcade port is superior?

So long as we get a Baseball Stars before the World Series I should be satisfied.

ghibli99

Pretty disappointed in the next batch of Neo Geo titles. Will probably give Spinmaster a try but don't recall liking Magician Lord too much back on the Wii. Maybe the Arcade port is superior?
Magician Lord is kinda rough control-wise, and I remember taking lots of cheap hits, but it does have some fantastic music and VFX. I remember being so drawn to it the first time I saw it in arcades, and I was sad when the arcade operators had the sound on their cabinet turned down.

Top Bottom