• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

That's not the "Blade" game I was looking for.

250px-Blade_Coverart.png

Is it this?

Turrican2

If you're unfamiliar, it's not quite a twich-based or floaty platformer. Has more of an Amiga Euro-platformer feel, very similar to Shadow of the Beast. Maybe even a little Turrican-like in some of the shooting elements.

Aaaand sold, thanks for the tip!

Haha, of course. TBH I was surprised they dropped Garou so early on. I feel like they're holding out on the other games I'm really dying for:

Real Bout 2
Windjammers
Both Last Blades, though I prefer the first one for some reason

SVC Chaos would be dope too, but I don't see Capcom being cool with that unfortunately

firenze

Haha, of course. TBH I was surprised they dropped Garou so early on. I feel like they're holding out on the other games I'm really dying for:

Real Bout 2
Windjammers
Both Last Blades, though I prefer the first one for some reason

SVC Chaos would be dope too, but I don't see Capcom being cool with that unfortunately

I feel like Windjammers might be a while, due to Dotemu's incoming PS4/Vita release (coming August 31 I think???). At the very least, some exclusivity period makes sense... though I'm still optimistic that Windjammers does make it to the ACA line eventually. Other relatively recent SNK releases on current generation Sony systems (the Code Mystics Metal Slug 3 and Garou ports, PS4 re-releases of some of the PS2 ports like KOF 2000) haven't prevented the ACA series from getting the same games in original Neo Geo form.

LB1 should be coming before long, since it's already out on PS4/Xbox One. And I'm with ya on preferring the first one. For me, I think it's largely the greater number of character-specific backgrounds and stage intros (so well done, I just love the detailed "world" of the LB games). LB2 and the Real Bout games seem inevitable too.

I wouldn't totally abandon hope for SVC either, since SNK did port it to PS2 (Japan only) and Xbox (worldwide). Seemed to have been more of a totally SNK effort there too, so perhaps they have some freedom to republish/license the game as they see fit, despite the Capcom characters.

Aaaand sold, thanks for the tip!

I mean, I see your name and avatar, and I will warn that Magican Lord is definitely more Shadow of the Beast than Turrican... But there are some shooting aspects, especially in the bosses, and I get a little bit of Turrican vibe there.

But yeah if you want the closest thing to an Amiga game on Neo Geo, Magican Lord fits the bill nicely :)

This weeks Switch's ACA game will be "Zed Blade (jp: Operation Ragnarok)".
One of the more bizzare horizontal shmups out there with some really annoying stuff.

i7mtA5c.jpg

X4ns6Ca.png

NbmIqYm.png

Gameplay

Good:
Creative yet bizzare enemy designs and animations; boss battles; no bad slowdowns (even in 2 player mode afair), not too difficult

Bad: enormous size of your battle ship and it's wierdly shaped (but rather small) hitbox; dreadful earbleeding euro-techno music; bland low-res graphics; repetitive enemy pattern

Only recommended for hardcore shmup fans.
Blazing Star and Last Resort are better in every way (except for the horrible 2 player slowdowns)

zsidane

One of the more bizzare horizontal shmups out there with some really annoying stuff.

i7mtA5c.jpg

X4ns6Ca.png

NbmIqYm.png

Gameplay

Good:
Creative yet bizzare enemy designs and animations; boss battles; no bad slowdowns (even in 2 player mode afair), not too difficult

Bad: enormous size of your battle ship and it's wierdly shaped (but rather small) hitbox; dreadful earbleeding euro-techno music; bland low-res graphics; repetitive enemy pattern

Blazing Star and Last Resort are better in every way (except for the horrible 2 player slowdowns)
"Bonus" kills it for me when it comes to Blazing Star...

firenze

Since Hamster has released in the same order as the announcement order for the first three games of this most recently announced group of six (and they went in order announcement for all 6 games in the previous batch), it's probably safe to assume the following upcoming release schedule:

August 31 (confirmed): Zed Blade
September 7: Blue's Journey (aka Raguy)
September 14: Spin Master
September 21: Art of Fighting

Seems likely that Hamster will announce another group of games toward the end of the currently known Switch releases, as they have done in the past. For additional reference, the following games have been released or announced for the ACA Neo Geo line on Xbox One/PS4, so should be just a matter of time before they end up on Switch (along with other games not listed at all at this point):

PS4/Xbox One released & announced ACA Neo Geo games
Art of Fighting 2
Fatal Fury 3
King of the Monsters
King of Fighters '95
King of Fighters '96
Pulstar
Samurai Shodown 2
Sengoku 2
Super Baseball 2020
The Last Blade
World Heroes
World Heroes 2

Coda

Wish we could get some unusual picks from other 90s hardware too. I would gladly pay money for CPS2 games such as Alien vs Predator and Progear. Just to see certain awesome arcade titles that never got a console release.

Type_Raver

August 31 (confirmed): Zed Blade
September 7: Blue's Journey (aka Raguy)
September 14: Spin Master
September 21: Art of Fighting

Blues Journey, i remember playing that one on the arcades in the day. Not the greatest game but will get this just for the nostalgia trip!

Fiendcode

What about Viewpoint? Would love to see this.
Owned by Sega so no. Same with Matrimelee.

So after September releases what's left beside a million of KoF? and Last Blade 1&2?
Tons of great stuff potentially like Baseball Stars Pro/2, Magical Drop 3, Samurai Showdown 2/3/5/S, Super Sidekicks 2/3/11, Aero Fighters 3, Pulstar, Windjammers, Sengoku 2/3, Metal Slug X/4/5, Fatal Fury 3/RB/S/2, etc. Also maybe the Technos, Taito, Visco or Hudson games.

firenze

Oh heck yeah, there are a TON of great games left, and not all of them fighters by any stretch of the imagination. Plenty of Neo games left to realistically continue weekly releases through 2018.

Beat em ups? Sengoku 2 is a lock, and there's also Sengoku 3, Burning Fight, Mutation Nation, Ninja Combat. King of the Monsters 1 & 2 are sort of a weird fighting/wresting/beat em up hybrid.

Run-and-gun/platformer? Cyber-Lip, Eightman, Metal Slug X, MS4, MS5, Top Hunter

Sports? Dunk Dream/Street Hoop (Hamster said they licensed more Data East games), the other Super Sidekicks games, Baseball Stars 2, Super Baseball 2020 (a sure thing), 3 Count Bout, League Bowling, Soccer Brawl, Stakes Winner 1&2

Weird pseudo-3D behind the back action games? Crossed Swords, The Super Spy

Shooters? Aero Fighters 3, Pulstar, Ghost Pilots, Twinkle Star Sprites (whatever the heck genre you want to consider it... competitive puzzle shooter?), Prehistoric Isle 2, Ninja Commando (more in the mold of Commando or Shock Troopers)

Fighters? (yeah, there are obviously plenty more of those too):
KOF 95-97, 2001-2003
Real Bout FF, RB Special, RB2
Art of Fighting 2 and 3
World Heroes 1, 2, 2 Jet
Savage Reign and Kizuna Encounter
Samurai Shodown 2, 3, 5, 5 Special
Last Blade 1 & 2
Ninja Master's
Aggressors of Dark Kombat
Fighter's History Dynamite
Ragnagard/Shin-ou-ken
Rage of the Dragons

Note that the above list are only games originally published by SNK (or co-published with ADK, Saurus, Sunsoft, etc.) or companies from which we know Hamster has previously licensed games for the ACA Neo Geo series (i.e. Data East). So, they're all reasonably realistic possibilities.

Doesn't include stuff with more questionable licensing situations: the Visco or Technos games, SVC Chaos, Viewpoint, Matrimelee, Puzzle Bobble... But you never know, they might get licenses for some of those too!

Fiendcode

Hamster already works with Taito, Konami (Hudson) and ASW (Technos) on the regular Arcade Archives line. I could see their Neo Geo releases naturally extending out of that.

Speaking of which way back Hamster also said they planned on bringing the regular Arcade Achives games to Switch. I wonder when that's going to start?

Anyone know why Magician Lord disappeared from the eshop? It's on my Wish List, but no evidence of it otherwise. I can't purchase it either!

EDIT: US eshop

firenze

Anyone know why Magician Lord disappeared from the eshop? It's on my Wish List, but no evidence of it otherwise. I can't purchase it either!

Huh. That's pretty strange, but can confirm I also can't access it in the US eshop - all 29 other ACA Neo Geo games are there though. Maybe some sort of pre-eshop update error? Will be interesting to see if it's back up when they do the Thursday store update.

If not, perhaps pulled for some sort of technical reason (Magician Lord Switch hack incoming?? Hahaha...)

Holy hell, Galaxy Fight is fucking nuts difficulty wise.
It's way way harder than any other NeoGeo fighter I know (that includes Art of Fighting 2).
I can barely beat the first opponent on "normal"(Level 4, I think). it's almost unfairish..
what the fuck

any tips?

strange
What I did recognize yesterday that a ton of eshop games got updated )or even redownloaded?).
A "Strikers 1945 download complete" message popped up while I was playing BotW although I purchased the game on day one and finished it at least 3 times by now.
After that I wanted to get my ass kicked, so I fired up ACA "Galaxy Fight" and it had to download an update before it could get started.

edit: just checked. Magician Lord is still available here in EUshop. even page 1

Huh. That's pretty strange, but can confirm I also can't access it in the US eshop - all 29 other ACA Neo Geo games are there though. Maybe some sort of pre-eshop update error? Will be interesting to see if it's back up when they do the Thursday store update.

If not, perhaps pulled for some sort of technical reason (Magician Lord Switch hack incoming?? Hahaha...)

Still gone today. Weird. The store page still exists, but I can only see it through Wish List. It just says, "not available for purchase" and lists 8/17/2017 as the release date.

firenze

Yeah, Magician Lord still MIA in the US eshop for me. Weird. It does work fine if you already downloaded the game though. I'm not up for deleting it on my system and seeing if I can re-download from the eshop :)

In other news, Blue's Journey has been confirmed as next week's release, in keeping with the expectation that Hamster is indeed releasing this batch of games in the order of announcement:

August 31 (released): Zed Blade
September 7 (confirmed): Blue's Journey (aka Raguy)
September 14 (likely): Spin Master
September 21 (likely): Art of Fighting

Timu

It's way way harder than any other NeoGeo fighter I know (that includes Art of Fighting 2).
I can barely beat the first opponent on "normal"(Level 4, I think). it's almost unfairish..
what the fuck

any tips?
Exploit their A.I.

That's how I 1CC'd it on Level 4.

BTW, to get to the secret final boss, you can't lose a single round, and he's the toughest opponent in the game IMO since he's constantly attacking you.

Oddduck

what the fuck

any tips?

Yup, I posted about it before in this thread.

It's the most unfairly difficult Neo Geo game that I've bought from the eShop. And I've played most of the fighters on Neo Geo.

A huge waste of money. Everyone should avoid it and buy Waku Waku 7 instead.

Glowsquid

what the fuck

any tips?

The AI has trouble with Roomi's ducking Fierce/C button attack.

more generally, I say Galaxy Fight single-player is a game that's not really friendly to aggressive play. The AI reacts very quickly and has good fundamentals so if you constalty jump in or try to start combos, you're probably going to get your ass kicked. If you play more defensively,let the AI attack first and then counter, it's more manageable.

Timu

If you play more defensively,let the AI attack first and then counter, it's more manageable.
That works many of the opponents in the game, there are some where you want to fight head on a bit like G.Done, Alvan and Musafar. For example if you are far from Alvan he will just spam projectiles which makes him annoying from a distance, up close he isn't too bad.

Glowsquid

That works many of the opponents in the game, there are some where you want to fight head on a bit like G.Done, Alvan and Musafar. For example if you are far from Alvan he will just spam projectiles which makes him annoying from a distance, up close he isn't too bad.

That is true. Also Rolf and Kazuma are very annoying to fight no matter your style because they love spamming the dash + shoryken move so you only have a tiny windows to punish them. But I think what I wrote is a good rules of thumb for a beginner.

Timu

That is true. Also Rolf and Kazuma are very annoying to fight no matter your style because they love spamming the dash + shoryken move so you only have a tiny windows to punish them. But I think what I wrote is a good rules of thumb for a beginner.
Yes, that is true.

For Kazuma just sweep him when he charges at you with his sword. For Rolf you want to counter after he does his spinning kick attack.

As for the bosses, well, good luck.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yup, I posted about it before in this thread.

It's the most unfairly difficult Neo Geo game that I've bought from the eShop. And I've played most of the fighters on Neo Geo.

A huge waste of money. Everyone should avoid it and buy Waku Waku 7 instead.

it has the best fighter in every fighting game

latest
latest

CLEEK

i7mtA5c.jpg

X4ns6Ca.png

NbmIqYm.png

Gameplay

Good:

You shut your whore mouth. Best in game music since Ridge Racer's replay mode!

Picked up SamSho, had it on the Genesis and I'm super confused: how do I get Earthquake to actually perform his specials? It says "Mash Slash Button"/"Down and Mash Kick in Air", but neither input does anything??

ACESmkII

Do we know if there is any exclusiveity on some of these releases? I really want to get KOF 98, Blazing Star and Waku Waku 7 for my PS4.

You shut your whore mouth. Best in game music since Ridge Racer's replay mode!

lol. I'd rather stare directly into my cat's anus than to ever listen to zed blade's acoustic pile of vomit ever again.
only euro version of Bio Metal (snes) is worse

firenze

Do we know if there is any exclusiveity on some of these releases? I really want to get KOF 98, Blazing Star and Waku Waku 7 for my PS4.

Doubtful that any ACA Neo Geo games have permanent system exclusivity, but release order does differ across Switch, PS4,and Xbox One. I'm sure you can tolerate the PS4 wait a little easier by enjoying Pulstar and Last Blade, while the Switch crowd waits patiently for those ones :)

firenze

I've been spending some time with Blue's Journey, which is one of the fairly few Neo games that I had never really played much. It's a really, really weird game. Feels sort of like a spiritual cousin to some of the earlier Monster World games, or Alex Kidd. The interesting mechanical twist is the ability to shrink (and return to normal size) at will, which is played up pretty well as a strategic element. You lose the ability to attack and become more vulnerable, but you gain the ability to jump onto enemies to reach new locations, fit into small spaces, etc. Sort of an interesting spin on the Mario concept of changing size with super mushrooms, but used more as an on-the-fly decision about when it's best to shrink.

I'm enjoying it more than I expected, I had always just ignored this game before...

That being said, in the realm of platformers I'm really looking forward to Spin Master showing up this week (it's confirmed at this week's release, as expected).

Top Bottom