• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo games coming to Nintendo Switch

I just got a Switch last week, what Neo Geo games does GAF recommend?

These are my personal favorites from what is available now:

Shock Troopers
Aero Fighters 2
KOF 98
SamoSho IV
Garou: MOW
WakuWaku 7
Metal Slug 3

I probably play Shock Troopers and KOF 98 the most when I take the machine over to friends' houses and such. Shock Troopers really is a gem.

Spinmaster

YEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!

giphy.gif

Now I just need the rest of the Metal Slug games and I'll be perfectly content with my Neo Geo games!

Timu

I just got a Switch last week, what Neo Geo games does GAF recommend?
King of Fighters 98, Metal Slug 1 and 3, Samurai Shodown 1 and 4, Shock Troopers, Waku Waku 7, Garou Mark of the Wolves, Neo Turf Masters, Blazing Star, Last Resort, Aero Fighrers 2.

e_i

Is Magician Lord available for the Switch? There's no buy digital on Nintendo's website and I can't find it on my Switch. Is it not available in NA?

So I am screwing around with Caravan Mode in Shock Troopers for the first time and when I finished my run it asked me if I wanted to register my score. I said yes and then checked the rankings to see where I'm at, but both the "Rank" and "You" tabs are just empty. Same for Hi-Score Mode. Are the leaderboards working fine for everyone else?

EDIT: Never mind, it was because I didn't select my user profile after I started the game. Since the Switch already asks me to select a user, I always thought the in-game prompt was asking if I wanted to load suspend data, but I guess not.

Blue's Journey is every little bit as crazy and funky as I remembered it back in the arcades. I still love the hell out of it.
A simple arcade jump'n run with pastel colors overload and hot bug women which doesn't drive you insane after 10minutes (cough* magician lord *cough).
My favorite parts are the
"secret" house and shop keepers with their crazy personalities and unexpected point of views
and the blatant super mario "inspirations" (some music parts, stage designs plus tons of other stuff). I still don't know if they are tributes to SMB or just rip offs.
j9FI4fO.jpg

x6hknCn.gif

So I am screwing around with Caravan Mode in Shock Troopers for the first time and when I finished my run it asked me if I wanted to register my score. I said yes and then checked the rankings to see where I'm at, but both the "Rank" and "You" tabs are just empty. Same for Hi-Score Mode. Are the leaderboards working fine for everyone else?

I never tried caravan mode in ST.
mmhh...I will check in the afternoon when I'm switching.

edit: nevermind. just saw your edit.

Oddduck

Art of Fighting is (most likely) releasing next week.

Here's a list of most of the Neo Geo games that Hamster hasn't released on Switch yet. (Not including Art of Fighting.)

• Art of Fighting 2
  • Art of Fighting 3
  • Aero Fighters 3
  • Baseball Stars 2
  • Baseball Stars Professional
  • Burning Fight
  • Cyber-Lip
  • Fatal Fury 3: Road to the Final Victory
  • Ghost Pilot
  • Karnov's Revenge (Fighter History Dynamite)
  • The King of Fighters 95
  • The King of Fighters 96
  • The King of Fighters 97
  • King of the Monsters
  • King of the Monsters 2
  • The Last Blade
  • The Last Blade 2
  • League Bowling
  • Magical Drop III
  • Metal Slug 4
  • Metal Slug 5
  • Metal Slug X
  • Mutation Nation
  • Ninja Commando
  • Pulstar
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
  • Samurai Shodown II
  • Samurai Shodown III
  • Savage Reign
  • Sengoku 2
  • Sengoku 3
  • Soccer Brawl
  • Super Baseball 2020
  • Street Hoop
  • Super Sidekicks 2
  • Super Sidekicks 3
  • Top Hunter: Roddy & Cathy
  • Twinkle Star Sprites
  • Windjammers
  • World Heroes
  • World Heroes 2

Timu

Here's a list of most of the Neo Geo games that Hamster hasn't released on Switch yet. (Not including Art of Fighting.)

• Art of Fighting 2
  • Aero Fighters 3
  • Burning Fight
  • Cyber-Lip
  • King of the Monsters
  • King of the Monsters 2
  • The Last Blade
  • The Last Blade 2
  • Metal Slug 4
  • Metal Slug 5
  • Metal Slug X
  • Mutation Nation
  • Ninja Commando
  • Pulstar
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
  • Samurai Shodown II
  • Savage Reign
  • Sengoku 2
  • Sengoku 3
  • Windjammers
  • World Heroes
  • World Heroes 2
I hope these games make it to the Switch someday!

Goalus

• Art of Fighting 2
  • Art of Fighting 3
  • Aero Fighters 3
  • Baseball Stars 2
  • Burning Fight
  • Cyber-Lip
  • Ghost Pilot
  • King of the Monsters
  • King of the Monsters 2
  • The Last Blade
  • The Last Blade 2
  • League Bowling
  • Magical Drop III
  • Metal Slug 4
  • Metal Slug 5
  • Metal Slug X
  • Mutation Nation
  • Ninja Commando
  • Pulstar
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
  • Samurai Shodown II
  • Samurai Shodown III
  • Savage Reign
  • Sengoku 2
  • Sengoku 3
  • Soccer Brawl
  • Super Baseball 2020
  • Street Hoop
  • Super Sidekicks 2
  • Super Sidekicks 3
  • Twinkle Star Sprites
  • Windjammers
  • World Heroes
  • World Heroes 2

What about Crossed Swords and Viewpoint?
These would be two games I'd be particularly interested in.

This will be mine. Like with Sam Sho 1 I have a weak spot for this game.

What about Crossed Swords and Viewpoint?
These would be two games I'd be particularly interested in.

Viewpoint is now owned by Sega-Sammy so I guess this would take some fiddling around.

Crossed Swords would be one of my favorites too and I find no reason why it shouldn't be released someday.
Crossed Swords II (which has a fantastic soundtrack btw plus a boobish intro) on the other hand was a NeoGeoCD only release (afaik) and would absolutly deserve a rerelease on ACA.

I think before Crossed Swords we'll see a "The Super Spy" release which I wouldn't complain about either as I love it's goofy 90s Action-movie atmosphere.
xXWsPlG.gif

Ge5uwes.jpg

legend166

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I think I might start with Shock Troopers and then move onto Metal Slug. I'm not a big fighting game fan so I'll give them a miss.

What's the best SHMUP?

I wish the game aged better(would prefer to play Sam Sho 1), also, The Super Spy would be quite random to see on Switch.

I still like AoF. The difficulty is pretty easy for a neogeo fighter though. The wannabe-RPG elements (learning new skills) and
"revealing" King's true nature
make it memorable imo.
I imported the super famicom version directly from japan (via some super crappy mail order catalog; no internets back in the days) for a hell of a lot money(~ 3 times the normal price). package took wooping 3 months to arrive. lol

Super Spy deserves a rerelease. I think it's one of the few neogeo games which never got a second chance in the past.

So this'll be the first week with no release? That was one hell of a streak!

uhm, no?
Isn't Art of Fighting on the eshop release list for this thursday?

Blazing Star or Aero Fighters 2

and Strikers 1945*

*isn't a ACA neogeo game. it's available on the switch eshop though. highly recommended

Timu

I still like AoF. The difficulty is pretty easy for a neogeo fighter though. The wannabe-RPG elements (learning new skills) and
"revealing" King's true nature
make it memorable imo.
I imported the super famicom version directly from japan (via some super crappy mail order catalog; no internets back in the days) for a hell of a lot money(~ 3 times the normal price). package took wooping 3 months to arrive. lol

Super Spy deserves a rerelease. I think it's one of the few neogeo games which never got a second chance in the past.
I did like how the SNES/Super Famicom version had an extended ending at least more than the TBC ending of the arcade and genesis versions. It was also easier than the arcade as well.

I did like how the SNES/Super Famicom version had an extended ending at least more than the TBC ending of the arcade and genesis versions. It was also easier than the arcade as well.

I remember when i fired it up on my snes the first time.
it kinda felt like in the arcades on my tiny 12" tv; plus the sfc version had the awesome zooming-in of the arcade original and AMAZING sound(tracks) and sfx.I would even go so far to say that the sfc version has better music than the original.
it's overall a great port by takara. maybe even on par with their amazing FF2special sfc port.

firenze

I still like AoF. The difficulty is pretty easy for a neogeo fighter though.

True, but it's almost like they heard that complaint for the brutally hard AoF2 and said "Oh, you think this was too easy? Here, try THIS..." For my money, Aof2 is the most consistently difficult Neo fighter against the CPU - you don't have to wait for the overpowered boss fight, any character can put a beating on you! Good luck getting to that secret final boss... I'll still buy AoF2 on Switch immediately if it gets released, but I suspect that in order to actually clear the game I'll need to resort back to my Neo Geo with Unibios cheats XD

I will also always love AoF1 too, but I can see a lot of people not being able to get past only being able to choose Ryo or Robert for story mode. Was sort of a product of its time, but man, those huge sprites and zooming sure were impressive seeing it in an arcade in the early 90s. I'm still a little bummed Jack never showed up as a playable character in KoF :)

I'm with you on this, it's a strange game that a lot of people haven't had a chance to play. Feels vaguely like a behind the back Elevator Action, and that's not a bad thing! it did get a Wii Virtual Console release (Japan only) though, as did Crossed Swords - so hopefully that's a good sign and we'll get both of them eventually.

As for the future...
I'm looking forward to seeing whether Hamster announces another batch of ACA Neo Geo games after AoF this week, as they have in the past when they reach the end of the announced releases. Still plenty of games remaining, including a dozen that have already released on PS4 and/or Xbox One. It's interesting to note that Hamster has finally been active with Arcade Archives series releases outside of the ACA Neo Geo line though:

* On PS4, Ninja Warriors released worldwide on September 7, and Haunted Castle got a US release on September 14. It had been nearly a year since the previous Arcade Archives US release (Contra, in September 2016), and there had only been one Japanese release since the Switch has come out (Thunder Cross back in June). Otherwise, Hamster has been all Neo Geo since March.

* As well publicized from the Nintendo Direct last week, Hamster is also working with Nintendo on their arcade titles beginning with Mario Bros. Vs. next week. Hopefully the Nintendo games are in addition to, and not replacing, the weekly Neo Geo stuff.

If you're a superfan Bravewave is releasing the soundtrack on vinyl

http://www.bravewave.net/genseries/005

Oh my god, thanks for the heads up.And they said they're doing AoF1, and following that up with AoF2 and 3! And that this is the start of a new partnership with SNK. There goes some more of my money.

For those who don't know, Brave Wave is aweeeesome too. I have all of the existing vinyl releases in their Generations series: Street Fighter 2, Shovel Knight, and Ninja Gaiden 1-3. They're all fantastic. Bring on the SNK soundtracks!

Terrific news.

firenze

Galaxy Fight is up there with it(and even tougher at times).

I'm not gonna call Galaxy Fight easy by any stretch of the imagination, but for me personally I have less of a hard time with it. AoF2 absolutely destroys me though!

For me it's like: hardest Neo Geo fights? Neo Dio > EVERYBODY IN AOF2 > every other overpowered SNK boss XD

Timu

I'm not gonna call Galaxy Fight easy by any stretch of the imagination, but for me personally I have less of a hard time with it. AoF2 absolutely destroys me though!

For me it's like: hardest Neo Geo fights? Neo Dio > EVERYBODY IN AOF2 > every other overpowered SNK boss XD
The secret final boss Rowue in Galaxy Fight was harder than Neo Dio IMO since he never stops attacking.

AOF2 is more about a.i. exploits than anything. Yes, it's hard, but a lot of opponents can be beaten with the same tactics. Then again I 1CC the game so I have experience with it.

Also, Magaki is an SNK boss that is harder than everyone in AOF2. Same with Ohga from Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer.

ghibli99

So, Neo Turf Masters... I love the voices (so takes me back to early '90s arcades), the animations are smooth, the artwork is nice and humorous (especially when you bogey), and the pacing is so quick. Thanks for the recs on this. Will likely be a very popular one to pick up and play from here on out. :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

• Art of Fighting 2
  • Art of Fighting 3
  • Aero Fighters 3
  • Baseball Stars 2
  • Burning Fight
  • Cyber-Lip
  • Ghost Pilot
  • King of the Monsters
  • King of the Monsters 2
  • The Last Blade
  • The Last Blade 2
  • League Bowling
  • Magical Drop III
  • Metal Slug 4
  • Metal Slug 5
  • Metal Slug X
  • Mutation Nation
  • Ninja Commando
  • Pulstar
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
  • Samurai Shodown II
  • Samurai Shodown III
  • Savage Reign
  • Sengoku 2
  • Sengoku 3
  • Soccer Brawl
  • Super Baseball 2020
  • Street Hoop
  • Super Sidekicks 2
  • Super Sidekicks 3
  • Twinkle Star Sprites
  • Windjammers
  • World Heroes
  • World Heroes 2

Sucks that will probably never see one of NG's best games 😓😓
Especially since it's one of the super rare cases of games which never even had a
home version/AES
Neo Drift Out

Celine

Blue's Journey is every little bit as crazy and funky as I remembered it back in the arcades. I still love the hell out of it.
A simple arcade jump'n run with pastel colors overload and hot bug women which doesn't drive you insane after 10minutes (cough* magician lord *cough).
My favorite parts are the
"secret" house and shop keepers with their crazy personalities and unexpected point of views
and the blatant super mario "inspirations" (some music parts, stage designs plus tons of other stuff). I still don't know if they are tributes to SMB or just rip offs.

I never tried caravan mode in ST.
mmhh...I will check in the afternoon when I'm switching.

edit: nevermind. just saw your edit.
As much as I loved Blue Journey as a kid, BJ has quite mediocre gameplay mainly due to bad jump physics and cheap enemy position.
Magician Lord, which was inspired by Ghost 'n Goblins instead of Super Mario Bros., is a much better designed game and probably the best game in the Neo Geo launch period (although not very apt for arcade in fact it was a flop there while it was one of the best selling games on home console).
What partly save BJ is that it's a charmy game with the typical japanese sacarine mood.

firenze

Next wave of neo geo switch arcade archive revealed. No dates.

-Burning Fight
-Metal Slug X
-KOF 95
-Robo Army
-Mutation Nation

Love it, I'm digging these "themed" batches of releases. Last time heavy on the the platformers, and this time with a very beat em up heavy approach. I'll excuse no Sengoku 2 yet ;)

In past batches, the announcement order has been the weekly release order. I can't find an actual Hamster tweet or video at the moment, but if the above order is how they presented it, probably the same approach this time around.

Wait Magician Lord has been out for a month!?! Where have I been!

It disappeared from the US eshop a few weeks back, and IIRC it's still not back (no Switch access to check at the moment)... Should be there for EU and Japan shops though.

legend166

I bought Shock Troopers and it's pretty fun. I sorta feel like I'm cheating when I just fill up with heaps of credits since it sorta breaks the difficulty curve of these games.

It's funny going back and playing arcade games, because it makes you realise the practice of designing a game specifically to force the user into paying more money isn't new at all! A least arcade games didn't cost $60 in the first place like games today.

Top Bottom