• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo Geo X Gold portable console details and price announced!

Tizoc

Glad to see SNK didn't drop support for this =P
Still not tempted to get it though but am happy to see the must have titles available now.
Wonder if the NGX Gold can be used for playing tournies...

15 games coming:

Will come out in a five SD cards called NEOGEO X Classics.

http://www.gamekult.com/actu/neo-geo-x-15-jeux-en-approche-A107551.html

Neo Geo bundles?!

ColbertCalledIt.gif

Awesome news though,

In the press release, they mean Metal Slug 2 in the first collection, right?

No Super Baseball 2020 :(

Some more details; first collection includes Metal Slug, Sengoku, and Top Hunter as well as a firmware update. It'll be released this April. There will also be the “ROCKET” High-speed Data Transfer and Charging Travel Cable, bundled with each copy of NEOGEO X Classics: Volumes I-V. Tommo is designing a travel case.
Awesome! Been wanting a case, and a (presumablyl) branded USB cable? Weird. But! NEW GAMES! Woo.

So there are 5 cards in total, each with 3 games on them? Are they being sold separately? Are the releases staggered? There's clearly a pack with all 5 (the one with the cable) but that PR makes no sense. They could've proofread it too...

DoubleTap

So there are 5 cards in total, each with 3 games on them? Are they being sold separately? Are the releases staggered? There's clearly a pack with all 5 (the one with the cable) but that PR makes no sense. They could've proofread it too...

If I'm going to proofread it, this is how I think it should have read:

"In addition to these amazing classic NEOGEO AES games, Tommo will be including the "ROCKET" High-speed Data Transfer and Charging Travel Cable, at no additional cost, with each copy of NEOGEO X Classics: Volume I"

I'm really interested to see what the update fixes.

If I'm going to proofread it, this is how I think it should have read:

"In addition to these amazing classic NEOGEO AES games, Tommo will be including the "ROCKET" High-speed Data Transfer and Charging Travel Cable, at no additional cost, with each copy of NEOGEO X Classics: Volume I"

I'm really interested to see what the update fixes.
I feel like that isn't what they meant, though. I think they might sell each volume individually, say for $10 (without the cable), then do one with all 5 for $50 that has the cable.

Takao

Banned
I feel like that isn't what they meant, though. I think they might sell each volume individually, say for $10 (without the cable), then do one with all 5 for $50 that has the cable.

A cable doesn't cost much to make, and they may be thinking that some NeoGeo X owners will skip certain collections because of the games included. So bundling them with each of the releases wouldn't be all that shocking.

DoubleTap

I'd be down for the whole collection for a discounted price. I doubt each volume would just be $10. The PSN/Virtual Console prices for NeoGeo games are in the neighborhood of $10 for each game. I'd be happy if each volume were $19.99.

Takao could be right. A cable for each volume might be a possibility since a micro usb cable is cheap and non proprietary (bought one at Fry's for 99 cents). It seems a tad silly to end up with 5 cables but they wouldn't be entirely useless.

@ Letep - the standalone handheld will be available in April.

I'm still somewhat tempted to pick this up even with all the complaints and faults. Just have a soft spot for the NeoGeo. Wish I had never sold my AES and CD ones.

Owners...worth it for $149?

My test copy has a shoddy joystick. It seems to get stuck halfway to right or down, and needs another push to register. It also stopped registering top-left and top-right at times when frantically playing RBFFS. Is it just this copy?

If I'm going to buy this, I certainly expect better hardware.

Edit: Talking about the console joystick, not the portable one.

IrishNinja

It went down even more at $129.99. That update better be damn substantial.

really? damn, it's still @ $160 or so now.

reviews seem mixed, especially for play over HDTV's - some are saying there's screen tearing, even with composite on a CRT, which is weird. does anyone think playing through an upscaler like an XRGB would alleviate this?

IrishNinja

man maybe ill finally be able to play Shock Troopers

i know it's prolly on PSN or whatever but im always drunk when i go looking for it and just give up around Magician Lord or something

Yes Boss!

really? damn, it's still @ $160 or so now.

reviews seem mixed, especially for play over HDTV's - some are saying there's screen tearing, even with composite on a CRT, which is weird. does anyone think playing through an upscaler like an XRGB would alleviate this?

I've got mine piped through the XRGB (Mini) via the HDMI. While it looks a million times better after spending a good time dialing in the image to make it look like a proper MVS, it still does display the screen-tearing. More static games like Name 1975 with its slow crawl are still playable but others like Cyber Lip are terrible.

Have not touched mine in months. I bought it for Nam-1975 but now that is on VC...which, likewise, through the Mini looks 100% accurate.

Senshik

Neo Member
I've got mine piped through the XRGB (Mini) via the HDMI. While it looks a million times better after spending a good time dialing in the image to make it look like a proper MVS, it still does display the screen-tearing. More static games like Name 1975 with its slow crawl are still playable but others like Cyber Lip are terrible.

Have not touched mine in months. I bought it for Nam-1975 but now that is on VC...which, likewise, through the Mini looks 100% accurate.

awesome reply - couldn't find anything about the combo online!
yeah, i guess it was naive to hope for screen tearing fix somehow, but by million times better, do you think it's as drastically improved as say the visual fix? if so, i gotta hunt one down for real - i should prolly start with disappointed people in this thread, heh

*edit: dammit Senshik, stop logging me out

Lhadatt

I wouldn't recommend a Neo Geo X at this point. I know that's going against my impressions post in this thread. With the GCW Zero (and its 60 FPS, no-lag, no-tearing Neo emulation) about to ship and possibly go retail after the Kickstarter obligations have been completely wrapped up, I have no desire to boot up the NGX. The screen tearing, lag, and lack of support from Tommo have pretty much killed my enthusiasm for this handheld.

Bog

Junior Ace
I wouldn't recommend a Neo Geo X at this point. I know that's going against my impressions post in this thread. With the GCW Zero (and its 60 FPS, no-lag, no-tearing Neo emulation) about to ship and possibly go retail after the Kickstarter obligations have been completely wrapped up, I have no desire to boot up the NGX. The screen tearing, lag, and lack of support from Tommo have pretty much killed my enthusiasm for this handheld.

Difference is one's legal, one isn't. Your choice.

IrishNinja

but that shit don't look like a baller Neo geo tho

iMerc

i'll probably be buying the portable. too cool to pass up. love neo geo.
man. old memories washing over me.

used to own a neogeo pocket colour.
i remember playing sonic on that thing while Sega were still making consoles and thinking "holy shit i'm playing sonic on a non-sega system!".
It was a big deal back then.

IrishNinja

awesome reply - couldn't find anything about the combo online!
yeah, i guess it was naive to hope for screen tearing fix somehow, but by million times better, do you think it's as drastically improved as say the visual fix? if so, i gotta hunt one down for real - i should prolly start with disappointed people in this thread, heh

still wondering, lemme know man!

MarkusRJR

I'm still pissed off they never got back to me on my repair/replacement and I ended up with a bunk unit after the 90 day warranty ended. I can't help but hate the company after that. I literally messaged them 10 times after they started ignoring me.

MarkusRJR

^whoah, that's some bullshit right there. so it just didn't work, and you were unable to reach them to replace it?
It's worse because they were all "well you can you to the store you bought it from and return it, or you can do it through us" and when I offered to go through them (I didn't want to walk 4-5 hours there and back where I purchased it) they started ignoring me. Shortly after I reached the period where I couldn't even return it to the shop I got it from, and I got pissed that they didn't respond. Then after the 90 days were over they never responded to any of my messages after the original response. I was super fucking pissed at the time.

IrishNinja

damn man, that's some shit service...good to know not to count on these guys to back their product.

what exactly doesn't work, just doesn't boot at all, or?

Top Bottom